CRT gaming thread

Attached: IMG_20190227_143329.jpg (2048x2048, 600K)

>Meleefag mad his SDTV gaming days are over

>HD remaster has no VMU replacement and no Passport disc
I feel like Im missing out, I played Shenmue for the first time on PS4 and its already in my top 10 games.

I might find a Dreamcast just to play the original version.

Anyone know a good dreamcast VGA cable to use on modern tv's?
I got one on ebay but I don't think it works properly on mine.

What happens when you take a kino game and apply more kino to it?

Attached: th7.jpg (2553x1929, 1.18M)

How do you burn the Passport disc anyways?
Seems like it never works for me

wow

Attached: 1547411733837.jpg (2880x2160, 1.5M)

Is there any way to get DreamSNES running better?

The Akura adapter.

why can't companies still make CRT tv's god damn it

>some retired photographer getting rid of his high end calibrated screens from 2004

yoink

Attached: s.jpg (3264x1836, 1.65M)

The same reason companies don't make consoles with analog video anymore.

I remember Sony was still shipping composite AV cables on PS3 till the bitter end.

CRT is too good for this world

Is it worth getting a PVM or any cheap CRT instead?

>he doesn't have a cozy meme screen

Attached: az.jpg (3264x1836, 1.7M)

god the aesthetic and graphics of the dream cast look so fuckign good
i really feel bad for never owning that console

Too much for virgin eyes. Most people would rather live in ignorance to scanlines and 120Hz than to take the CRTpill and never use flatshit again.

Attached: langrisser2.jpg (3996x2664, 1.16M)

Get one. They're cheap as fuck and you can just burn games to CDs.

Reminder that a 9" microPVM costs over $200 now. If you didn't buy in back in 2013 you never will.

What’s the best crtv? And which one won’t break the bank?

Attached: 1FF0B46D-617B-482B-9DAE-04AFC87BA999.jpg (1024x640, 158K)

Depends on what consoles you plan to play on it and whether you're a videophile. If you just want to play your vidya any tube you find at the thrift store or dumpster will work. If you want to meme it with the boys here on Yea Forums get a broadcast monitor from the likes of Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba.

nigga there's a whole board for boomers

Be quiet, kid. Adults are talking here.

Attached: 1539604179259.jpg (443x455, 40K)

Attached: lesmuganimefaceatincredblyhihgrez.jpg (2296x2464, 285K)

Where do I get CRTs from?

>crtv
Cathode Ray Tube Vision?

>playing on a screen that small
Hard pass.

Thrift stores are your best bet. You can test them out on the spot and they're always cheap. Junkyard and erecycling facilities are also a good choice but keep in mind most of them will be broken. If you feel like burning money there's always eBay, and if you own a gun there's Craigslist and Facebook.

As long as 3rd-5th gen consoles look decent on them it’s fine.

Then any consumer grade TV will do.

Cool Retro TV

Played Metroid Prime on my GC and CRT just earlier and will again tomorrow.
CRTs are just so aesthetic.

I've had a CRT all my life until a couple months ago. I'm so glad I got rid of it.

>no VGA monitor for Dreamcast
user... they're not that expensive, and even a cheap VGA monitor will shame that 14N6U in your pic

Did you finally clean up your room, or is your 1344 still surrounded by filth?

Depends on your use case. A PVM makes a really pretty picture, but with a little patience, you could get a beefy Profeel or XBR for half the price of a similarly-sized PVM if all you need is 240p/480i support. VGA monitors will also perform great for 480p+ content, while only a handful of PVM models will handle those resolutions and they're insanely expensive due to high demand.

Get a laptop riser for your mini-PVMs. The extra 3-4 inches of clearance will help immensely for making it feel comfortable to play on.

To be fair, if you go too deep down the CRT hole, you wind up in a situations where you have to basically pick your furniture to accommodate your displays.

Plus for bleeding-edge modern content, even the nicest CRT isn't going to be as slick as a 65" 4K flat panel.

>Reminder that a 9" microPVM costs over $200 now. If you didn't buy in back in 2013 you never will.
I see them turn up on eBay for $80 still, and for less than that on local/enthusiast listings. Look harder.

A nice Sony Wega or JVC D-Series if you're fine with topping out at Component. People still give those away for free.

VGA monitors are nice for Dreamcast and PC content, though the high-end monitors are currently undergoing rampant price inflation.

If you want to go turbo-autist/funny money tier, a NEC XM/XP/XV-series monitor or Mitsubishi Megaview is about as endgame as you'll get. It's got an image as sharp as my 20L5 in pic related, and can support almost any input signal you can throw at it in one tube. Good luck actually finding one though, let alone one not being sold by a scalper.

Assuming you're looking for a PVM, medical resellers and private sales from enthusiasts

Attached: computer_desk.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

I found a Panasonic professional monitor where I work for free and it's been pretty nice but after I've been using it for a while, I'm not convinced they make old games look significantly better than a modern TV with proper scaling. They both have their pros and cons but if I had to pay over 200$ for this thing, I'm not sure if it would have been worth it.

all i have is a tv like this guess i should hold back the years

Attached: 1549599126180.jpg (2265x1734, 1.52M)

>CRT enthusiast
>Informative post
>For modern content use a flat panel
What the fuck, a CRT enthusiast that isn't an autist? Am I dreaming?

>all i have is a tv like this guess i should hold back the years
I hope you didn't have to do time to get that prison CRT.

Your desk is so clean and pristine... I wish I had such a pleasant and non-cluttered workspace.

A CRT enthusiast knows that their vintage TVs are only for vintage consoles. Autists are the kind of people that play a PS4 on their PVM and watch (You)s come in like rain.

Hello my CRT Amigos

Attached: 20190213_210619.jpg (3264x2448, 1.72M)

here's my tv

Attached: 1516262873563.jpg (2589x1958, 1.87M)

>What the fuck, a CRT enthusiast that isn't an autist? Am I dreaming?
I don't know if I'd go that far. You don't seek out a L5 PVM if you're a normie, and the only reason why there's a flat panel at all in my computer setup is because my present desk is too weak to support the FW900 I got last month.

That said, I'm sober enough to know that for some input devices and use cases, CRTs just aren't the optimal display type anymore and it's not worth the autism of trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Guess I've been spending too much time in /vr/

>FW900
>last month
Where the fuck did you get that?

I just ordered one 14" recently for 100$ including to door shipping from about across 3000 km

And did it arrive intact?

appreciate these posts user

dunno yet, but track record of seller is about 10% chance of failing via that shipping company. Aka he sold 20 PVMs already (raided TV station) and only 2 had to be returned due shipping. (with full refund of course)
So we'll see in a few weeks.
I mean I can't get them locally period cause I live in a middle on nowhere, so price wise seemed like decent idea to try.
At worst I just burn shipping fee into nothing, doesn't sound like too bad of a gamble for BVM 1454D

Attached: file.png (640x480, 413K)

>Where the fuck did you get that?
Suburban Philadelphia from a guy who used to be a video editor. I paid a bit above market for it, but it was the only semi-drivable FW900 I'd ever seen since I started looking for one.

Finding a set you've been looked high and low for, and then having to yank it from where you wanted to put it because you could literally see the furniture underneath starting to sag and sprout cracks might not be the most demoralizing experience as a CRT enthusiast, but it's certainly up there.

Fortunately, I'm moving in a few weeks and will have the chance to get a better-built desk to put it on.

Attached: fw900.jpg (4032x3024, 1.67M)

>chibi-robo
user you're baller

I have a CRT TV I plan on using as a second monitor/movie viewer in my room, but the image on the bottom left seems to never fit the screen with consoles. Is that normal, or should I panic

How do you guys deal with the constant buzzing sound? I tried to go back to my tv from childhood and the buzzing sound pissed me off too much. I guess I just tuned it out when it was the only tv I had, but now it’s much more noticeable.

This occurs from you getting used to it earlier in your life and also shielding between components going off as time goes on.

>How do you guys deal with the constant buzzing sound? I tried to go back to my tv from childhood and the buzzing sound pissed me off too much. I guess I just tuned it out when it was the only tv I had, but now it’s much more noticeable.
You either wait until you're 40 and stop hearing 15kHz sounds or use a VGA monitor and upscale anything too old to display in 480p.

I was born in '94. Can someone explain the display on the Dreamcast controller?

>have a fw900 and several 37" multisync presentation monitors
>haven't played anything on them in a year

I really should get back into playing my retro games.

Damn, that's one fine beast you've got there. As much as people hype those I personally prefer 4:3 CRTs even for PC use as all the content I'd ever use them for (old games and anime) are in that format. Anything in 16:9 I'd watch on my 65" 4K flatscreen.

>have a fw900 and several 37" multisync presentation monitors
>haven't played anything on them in a year
>I really should get back into playing my retro games.
Just hook your PC up to them and give them some use. It's not as if they're only good for displaying console games.

honestly shit like this is what drove me away from CRTs. back in high school i went on an extensive CRT quest but couldn't find one that didn't have some glaring geometry issues beyond fixing with the service menu. i just use my wii with emulators on an LCD now like a pleb, but fuck at least the lines are straight.

That's assuming he still has a VGA card. I'll never get rid of my 980Ti until every CRT dies but not everyone realizes new cards can't run CRTs.

C'mon, bro. It's a definite annoyance, but you have to admit that it's something that just fucking clicks with viewing anything - I only notice it because it's always in the back of my mind, anyways - any random dinky-donk who isn't an OCD perfectionist won't realize it's there unless they look for it. For instance, I can only really see it in the item menu playing RE1, but not during the game.

That being said, always having piece of the screen cut off fucking sucks. I'm glad I have a teensy-tiny CRT from my sister in my backroom downstairs, but it's legitimately so fucking buzzy my brother thinks it'll damage my hearing. You can find ones that are less than a foot for like $50, anyways.

>That's assuming he still has a VGA card. I'll never get rid of my 980Ti until every CRT dies but not everyone realizes new cards can't run CRTs.
Just throw a HDMI->VGA Tendak at it. They're like $15 and have negligible lag.

It pops out to make a truly horrible little handheld. The buttons are squishy, the sound is just beeps and the screen calculator quality. The only game I had that really supported it was Sonic Adventure, which had a cool Chao breeding mini game. Japan only games probably used it more.

It was a shit gimmick but a cool reminder of when Sega were willing to really be different.

Attached: 1920px-Sega-Dreamcast-Cont-n-VMU.jpg (1920x1476, 172K)

Finding one that'll go higher than 60Hz is a huge hassle. Most of them are designed for use with projectors and max out at that.

wait can you run this at
1920 x 1200 @ 120hz?

It can do 1920x1200, but only up to 100hz, alas.

>black ice wp
don't think I didn't notice it

Attached: 1539416498163.jpg (600x450, 49K)

Yeah I saw a video of someone playing Doom 2016 at
1920x1200 @120hz with FW900 appearently
Hopefully he wasnt playing at 120hz because that would be a waste of a CRT

thanks for reminding me to replace the batteries in my VMU

Depends on what you're after.
If all you want is to plug and play with nothing in-between and don't care for scanlines, then get the Gekko.
If you want the scanlines, get the Akura.
If you own an OSSC, get a simple $15 VGA cable.

Attached: Panasonic FT2700.jpg (1536x2048, 748K)

Based