VR Thread

/vg/ is just filled with VRchat nonsense.
Lets talk about vr Yea Forums

What do you think the future of VR gaming looks like?

Attached: vrheadset.jpg (972x912, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ak2h3PkY1I
youtube.com/watch?v=J3LStflzGFI
reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9kbhmc/toms_hardware_pimax_review_proves_that_the/
youtu.be/4NMhx5WlpEs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Until the FOV completly covers my vision i cant get immersed. Maybe in the next cycle

Stormland is looking pretty dope

youtube.com/watch?v=2Ak2h3PkY1I

I got a plastic headset for my phone does that count

yes, you can actually play some fun phone games with it if you wanted to.

have you seen the pimax?

youtube.com/watch?v=J3LStflzGFI

More here

Attached: sde.jpg (1280x720, 259K)

pls don't shill the chinkshit set

In an effort to give this thread more of a push, I wanted to ask the same question as OP, but get more specific. It this point I feel confident that 1st person action games can work well in VR. However, where do we go from here once the novelty of being able to do whatever we want with a weapon wears off and everything starts to feel the same? Most action games differentiate from each other by having unique move sets, which will be much more difficult to do in VR while still taking advantage of the extra freedom you. Would doing specific motions to initiate a special move work or would that just get old and gimmicky. Of course movement mechanics are still a good option since traditional video game rules still apply there.

you got to admit it's pretty impressive that they can do 200 fov

I don't think VR will get as popular until we get something that lets us turn our brain signals into movement.

opentrack allows your headset to work like a headtracking device such as trackIR5 and combined with virtual desktop you get close to a neat fullscreen sim experience

Just some quick ideas the top off my head: Different hitzones for different types of damage (slashing, crushing, thrust for example) with damage multipliers based off on contact angle and speed at impact. Weapons with maximum angular movement speed (in relation to player) to make slower, heavier hitting weapons. Spears also check where the back end is placed and can thus be braced. When braced, enemies colliding with the front at over threshold speed take mass * speed damage.

They make flawed sets and have misleading marketing, 8K still has SDE and it has noticeable latency, the soft strap is uncomfortable according to journos. It's the usual chink shit where they just pile up specs without fixing glaring usability issues.
Upping resolution to partially fix SDE instead of doing it like Samsung by fixing it through the lenses is also an issue since no GPU is actually able to run games at that high of a resolution so you'll need to run it in reduced FOV mode.
leddit link alert
reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9kbhmc/toms_hardware_pimax_review_proves_that_the/

Also some more since l'm the ideas guy: Special effects on weapons which are initiated through wagglan like Defender's Shield which when banged thrice with your weapon taunts nearby enemies or sword that also allows parrying with weapon's hitbox

I dont think current VR melee is every going to be "good" too much wiggle waggle.

We need some brain signal shit to have a true VR experience.

People that actually use the headsets report a lot of distortion and stretching of the image, especially towards the sides of the screen. Massive FOV means nothing if the image is fucked up.

inb4 "meme gimmick fad" guy posts.

>What do you think the future of VR gaming looks like?

Beat Saber with a little bit more clarity due to increased res

sounds like heaven

That's another thing that they fuck up regularly in VR so far: After hitting an enemy, the enemy needs to take like 90% reduced damage and be impossible to stagger by hitting if you hit him again too quickly. The scaling falloff could be set by weapon speed (or it could be a weapon stat), so slower weapons take longer before you can hit again for full damage. This would discourage waggling and encourage pacing your hits, especially if you had low hp and using shields/parrying was expected in the game.

>Spears also check where the back end is placed and can thus be braced. When braced, enemies colliding with the front at over threshold speed take mass * speed damage.

I like this. VR may be the time when spears finally have a chance to shine. However, most of what you said are just ways to improve the fundamentals of the game. This is all good and makes sense, but my concern is more once all this is set how do you start to make games all feel different. For example, consider a great sword in Monster Hunter and a great sword in Dark Souls. They both swing slow, but the move set is what makes them different and changes how you play the game. Your second post is getting more into what I am thinking about. This is the type of thing that will make games feel unique. I'm just concerned if having to act everything out will start to get tiring. Simple stuff like your shield bash, which I do anyway when it has no effect seem like the way to go. Either way, I am really looking forward to seeing where things go. Even the progress from the launch of the rift/vive has been really nice.

Also, as a side point since you mentioned damage from contact angle, I thing parrying success based on contact angle would be a good idea.

I got the first pimax. It was decent enough, and I contacted them at one point and they got back to me pretty quick and fixed the issue. It wasn't the most comfortable though, especially with it digging into the bridge of my nose. Also the head tracking was garbage. On my unit it needed resetting every few minutes.

This could be baked into weapons themselves: Shield bashing would require a boss (the round thing in center of shields). To stagger with shield you just hit enemy with any part of it, but to bash him you need to hit him straight on so the boss will contact with the mob. Shield spike damage falloff being separate from main weapon damage falloff would encourage shield bashes where appropriate but otherwise your shield would just get in the way of your vision.
As for movesets, l'm not so sure beyond the special effect waggling. One possible way would be to differentiate the weapons through other ways, like maximum swing speed, damage, aforementioned damage reduction falloff rate, special proc effects and weapon weight placement. (No idea how this really goes IRL, just brainstorming) Weapons with balance toward the tip allow for more damage per swing (and/or are slower in general) for same weight class weapons, but weapons with balance toward the hilt allow longer/wider parrying hitbox and faster weapon move speed to facilitate said parrying and counterattacking. Weight could be ofc placed anywhere inbetween.
Just figure few more mechanics and you can make weapons feel different enough through favoring certain physical playstyles.

everyone get compound if you havent yet, dev is working full time on it and has frequent updates, great gunplay and atmosphere

Attached: compound.jpg (670x327, 98K)

BUH COME BACK TO /VRG/ WE'RE FUN

PLEASE TALK ABOUT OUR DRAMA RIDDEN DYING GAME

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you guys? Literally nothing but namefag drama and anime ERPing.
I know drama is a must for /vg/ but it's cancerous even for /vg/ standards.

Vivecraft breathed some new life into the game. I'm having fun.

Im glad user :)

Good ideas. Weight at the tip of a weapon would reduce your ability to accelerate it. That would effectively encourage you to do vertical attacks to take advantage of gravity without actually forcing it.

user..
youtu.be/4NMhx5WlpEs

>What do you think the future of VR gaming looks like?

It doesn't look like anything lol

Why are you posting 20 years old tech that still doesn't have commercial applications?

Looks great, but what's the roguelike elements?

I want to be able to lay in my bed and have control over VR

Haptic Gloves
Higher FOV
No screen door effect
cheaper and smaller treadmills

Valve's Knuckles controllers are all about finger tracking, I don't know exactly how it tracks though.
The big deal about hand tracking is that it allows you to physically grab objects, the controllers can also sense squeezing so you can crush a rock for example, the knuckles seem like a great middle point between gloves and controllers since you have both hand tracking and traditional buttons without the billion of issues a haptic glove would need to fix like not fitting and turning into a sweaty broken mess after a single use.

>needing treadmils
why not just focus on sensors for your legs that detect when you walk in place

because walking in place would feel stupid as fuck

Gloves and treadmills are really stupid and expensive brute force "solutions" for things that can be solved with far more elegant methods, you can already do fully articulated hand tracking purely with a HMD's cameras for example.

Walking in place is one of those things sounds natural and intuitive until you actually stand up and do it.

oculus was collecting dust for a few months before digging it out for some audioshield recently. i absolutely love the serious sam VR ports and must now play through every one. I hope more companies in the future make VR ports as high quality as this

People wanna FEEL things not fucking imaginary hold things

Haptic gloves go way past the KISS principle and will never be a common thing since you can already achieve almost the same effect with far simpler tools, something like the knuckles can already be used for good enough hand tracking and force feedback with 1/1000th of the complexity and design issues while adding more capabilities with the squeezing tracking and traditional controls.

>Not training your mind to feel phantom touch on every part of your body and getting dudes in loli avatars to jack you off in VR Chat.

jk. I want haptic stuff as much as the next guy but the force feedback on Oculus Touch controllers is actually great.

"HD rumble" style force feedback would be godlike.

yeah that would be awesome

I finally beat Osu!Memories a few days ago. I can't keep up with rank anymore. Dropped from 600 to 1200 in a month or two. Just can't do the new maps fast enough. I'm just going to start focusing on finish hard maps rather than keeping my rank up.