What the fuck happened to classic deathmatch?

What the fuck happened to classic deathmatch?

I'm not even talking about *sips* Quake style movement-based/arsenal-based shooters either. What happened to just dropping in, shootin some niggas, and dropping out like it wasn't shit?

Why's everything so team/class/objective/competitive focused now? I just want to shoot, run around neat maps, respawn, and fuck off once I'm done.

Attached: DMC.jpg (1024x768, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6dWPPgHj8rM
youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fags need their teams to carry them. They're unable to work alone.

Everyone is addicted to dopamine drip progression these days and they need to find ways to monetize gameplay instead of just selling the game. They tried it once more with quake champions but it flopped.

Arena shooters are dead. Zoomers will never be able to catch up to quakedads so they will go back to getting carried or playing games with matchmaking where they won't get absolutely annihilated.

Attached: 2522373 - Hunter Quake Quake_3_Arena excrem.jpg (1000x1000, 494K)

Team Fortress happened.

It gets boring fast. I think CoD still has it.

UT2004 > Quake III
youtube.com/watch?v=6dWPPgHj8rM

Attached: paul.gif (320x240, 993K)

you can still play those modes in popular shooters like COD and CS:GO

Rise of the Triad had some good deathmatch. Not sure if it's active now.

UT99 > UT04

I discovered precum with that announcer

>Spawn in
>Guy happens to be behind where you're facing
>Dead

>Game ends
>Nobody even wins, it just ends, and nobody cares who won, they just want the next map to load

>No excuse to talk or strategize with teammates, everyone is dead silent
Pretty boring gameplay cycle

I was craving this recently

Day of Infamy did the trick.

hooked up an UT2004 server with a friendo
forgot how fun this shit was especially the chat spam BLOW ME
and you can basically play 2-3 maps and fuck off and do something else

>Guy happens to be behind where you're facing
this literally cannot happen.

the only time spawn fragging is prevalent is in 1v1 duel modes in older quake games, and it happens based on momentum.

basically git gud

>No excuse to talk or strategize with teammates
which is the opposite of what OP wants
why does a game need constant "strategy" discussion?
games can thrive purely on player performance and real-time adaptation

cope

>Tribes 1 had 128 man servers
>Now it's rare we get 64 man servers
>Now 32 man servers are getting a bit more scarce in games unless it's battle royale

Attached: 398423894893242.jpg (749x694, 46K)

Its a lot better than joining some 4-6 man team that won't work together, is at the end of the match that they are losing, and then getting banned for asking your team mates to try.

Don't do this

Attached: 1530479171241.jpg (472x482, 16K)

>games can thrive purely on player performance and real-time adaptation
no they can't, they're boring and nobody wants to play them

>this literally cannot happen
Are you joking? OP posted HL1 deathmatch where that absolutely happens, here's my source
>which is the opposite of what OP wants
I was explaining to OP "what the fuck happened" to them, which is that they got boring for the vast majority of people
>why does a game need constant "strategy" discussion?
Because we feel like smart little monkeys when we make a plan and it works
>cope
I think I'll cope with not liking the games you like better than you'll cope with all the games you like being gone because nobody cares about them

Attached: Untitled.png (204x90, 9K)

literally any competitive non-team game

fighting games, chess, RTS, BRs, decades of FPS
basically anything that isn't a fucking moba you dense retard

I need map name!

What happens is because the genre today is populated by nothing but people with 5000 hours minimum of Quake 3, nobody joins to just run around killing shit, they join to get absolutely, utterly, hopelessly, BEYOND demolished by a single guy while he and him only has his fun shitstomping everybody, while everybody else exists to just be fodder for him.

This essentially makes every match a 1 guy having fun at literally everybody else's expense, and this one guy will then come to Yea Forums to complain that arena shooters are dead because everybody else didn't feel like existing solely to be his punching bag for his personal fun without caring about the others in the slightest.

>Is told games without strategy are boring
>Cites chess as a counterexample

>OP posted HL1 deathmatch
HL1 deathmatch is not deathmatch classic (which OP posted), which has maps designed to spawn players away from eachother, instead of just playing on bsds pulled right from the singleplayer campaign.

>Because we feel like smart little monkeys when we make a plan and it works
what's the ratio of this happening to people just bitching at eachother?

Attached: 1539610166672.png (898x802, 667K)

How do you not recognize DM4?

so you're actually reading.
color me suprised.

Casuals and normalfags want a way to blame everyone except themselves.
>oh I got a bad spawn
>my team was bad
>we lost because we got counterpicked
>my item RNG was bad
>matchmaking lost this game
You can't blame any of them in classic deathmatch. It's just you, your movement and your aim.

>playing games with matchmaking where they won't get absolutely annihilated.
This is what annoys me the most. You see it on this site as well. Shit players crying about how the matchmaking is shit and they keep getting paired up with better players like it's a problem of the game. The problem is you you whiny little faggot and you should be pleased to have the opportunity to play better players and in turn get better yourself than being in some artificial skill ghetto where you never get to actually see how the game is really played.

I don't understand these people who seem completely unable to tolerate or accept failure as part of progress, how do they manage in real life?

you think half life multiplayer is cannon?

You bounce around topics randomly and then accuse me of "[not] reading". Which is fair, I guess, because I can't really extract anything meaningful from posts as dumb as yours.

ad hominem, no relevant points made

QC is unpopular because it's poorly optimized and devoid of content. The team is too retarded/underfunded to release a content patch without breaking everything.
The Quakedad meme is bullshit. A good chunk of the playerbase (myself included) is new to Quake. It's just that your average zoomer can't handle real 3D movement and skill based combat that doesn't allow them to instakill people with a burst from their M4.

t. 400 hours in QC

OP is not talking about arena shooters you fuckwit. He's just talking about FFA deathmatch as a game mode.

What about this is wrong to you

Attached: Untitled.png (696x255, 17K)

the point was that people dont need to "DISCUSS" strategy with each other for a game to be successful.

>>No excuse to talk or strategize with teammates, everyone is dead silent
>Pretty boring gameplay cycle

your two points were that you get spawn camped, which you dont, and that people can't strategize (pronounced: bitch) with eachother

What about this is wrong about you

Attached: u.png (818x487, 6K)

There is still Uncharted.

i actually really enjoyed HL2DM

Your understanding of dopamine is incorrect, by the way

Are you implying that modern video games don't exploit dopamine reward circuits to keep people addicted?

What am I misunderstanding?

user has it pretty much spot on. Game design became an exercise in how best to psychologically create good responses in players rather than about creating good video games. The game has to appeal to the most basic animal instincts now for it to do well.

Honest answer: The moba fever got all devs riled up in making shit team based. Matchmaking shit, matches that last X long and you arent allowed to quit or join midway, etc.
Overwatch and TF2 going "matchmaking" pretty much killed the genre.

Dopamine does not "drip"

Nice of Gabe to invite us over for some DM, eh Luigi?

Attached: pxpu7kljbcp01.png (933x608, 1.14M)

Do I really need to explain the concept of metaphors to you?
"Constant" micro rewards are what keep people gaming these days.

Deathmatch games were already on their way out when DOTA was still a WC3 mod.

>not playing on a community server and getting to know the regulars

It's a figure of speech you windowlicker. Never heard of a morphine drip before?

It's not the player's/zoomer's fault arena shooters are dead, it's the fact multiplayer games have no fucking choice but to follow trends if they're going to survive in a post-TF2 world.

Dopamine is not an addiction/pleasure chemical.

>yfw there are empty servers with bots waging an endless war

Attached: CYdSn6_UMAAmUis.jpg (480x424, 23K)

In popular culture and media, dopamine is often seen as the main chemical of pleasure, but the current opinion in pharmacology is that dopamine instead confers motivational salience;[3][4][5] in other words, dopamine signals the perceived motivational prominence (i.e., the desirability or aversiveness) of an outcome, which in turn propels the organism's behavior toward or away from achieving that outcome.[5][6]

This is my last reply to you.

>>Game ends
>>Nobody even wins, it just ends, and nobody cares who won, they just want the next map to load
Yeah people who want to practice their skill, or just want to feel themselves changing/getting better. It's like playing golf alone. Or running on a treadmill. Sure you have people who do it for competitive reasons, but there are those of us who just want the activity so our brains can relax. Sort of a digital restless leg syndrome.

>those bots that try to mimic human speech by splicing together random messages sent by human players

Attached: 1537725570425.png (399x425, 173K)

>Nobody even wins, it just ends, and nobody cares who won, they just want the next map to load
I miss this

Attached: e174ez1.webm (612x460, 446K)

I love this game

Attached: game.jpg (640x480, 83K)

As stated before in a previous thread as the gaming circle has grown so has the pool of clueless casuals who play them. Thus games and gaming trends are now focusing on pleasing people who fundamentally cannot handle losing. This is why 'team' forced games, hotkey cancer, and moba shit has become so prevalent in the gaming space. Players now can just blame the team or other people they randomly meet in matchmaking and then never have to see the person again thus creating no community and no recourse for their actions. Mechanics have to be simple and take out all the nuance that would allow players to flourish, so everything has to be simplified into one button. So all you have to think about is when to press it and light positioning, since even movement has been simplified to the point that its no longer a reward for players learning but a cool shallow feature to give the game a hint of 'speed'.

More randomness, less skill, more hokeys. This is the gaming space going forward. Also you can't have private/community servers because then companies can't force you to move on to the next 60 + season pass experience they churn out every year. Can't have modding because then you might invent a new genre with your creativity and they can't make money off of it!

I normally not one to claim nostalgia goggles, but after that event from a few months ago I can definitely say my memories of the game differ significantly from reality.

>I just want to shoot, run around neat maps, respawn, and fuck off once I'm done.
>and fuck off once I'm done
That's probably why. If you're not sticking round, neither is anyone else. And if you're not in it for the long haul, there's also little incentive or means to upsell to you.

Arena shooters suffered from the same problem that RTS did: It was a clusterfuck that didn't really hone in on one thing. That's part of the charm, but the devs couldn't optimize for anything specific, and it showed. TF2 did a good job of averting this by NOT having gamemodes that consisted of
>dropping in, shootin some niggas, and dropping out like it wasn't shit?
Every gamemode has a clear, consistent goal to optimize around. Later games have taken this further. Overwatch is a good example of this, and it does what it was intended to do very well (provide a medium for Streamers to show off SICK OUTPLAYS, EPIC MONTAGES, BIG BRAIN HIGH IQ PLAYS, KOREAN LEVEL MECHANICS, and THE PLAYYYYYYYS)

>spent the entire day shitting on terribad redditors
>all those kills
>all the nonstop gibs

Attached: 1537338387742.gif (437x415, 271K)

I was more referring to the lack of matchmaking penalties or other ways to force players into an artificial investment. I don't mean fuck off as in forget about it or leave for good.

>Arena shooters suffered from the same problem that RTS did: It was a clusterfuck that didn't really hone in on one thing. That's part of the charm, but the devs couldn't optimize for anything specific, and it showed.
the fuck are you talking about?

>Every gamemode has a clear, consistent goal to optimize around. Later games have taken this further. Overwatch is a good example of this, and it does what it was intended to do very well (provide a medium for Streamers to show off SICK OUTPLAYS, EPIC MONTAGES, BIG BRAIN HIGH IQ PLAYS, KOREAN LEVEL MECHANICS, and THE PLAYYYYYYYS)
Are you implying old fpses didn't have the recipe needed for amazing plays, shots, and montages? They existed and were very popular, even in an age that didn't support streaming. People would download all kinds of frag movies to their hard drives to watch them.

What event are you talking about?

Remember when Quake champions had an open beta that dropped NDA thus allowing all media sources to talk about it? Remember everyone saying that Quake was back and better than ever while still maintaining a high skill ceiling? I do, and the irony is that to someone who hasn't played many arena shooters this is correct. Yet despite all this they left the game after a weekend to go back to whatever moba/overwatch game they were playing. The reality is that you can't have a game be about mastering skill because the majority of players don't want that. That want a modicum of challenge that nets them shiny rewards of some sort. That's it.

Reddit organized a bunch of people to play Deathmatch Classic for a while last March.

Well bored of it by now, and I imagine a lot of other people are too.

Some dumb redditor thought DMC was a dead indie game because SteamSpy listed it as the least played multiplayer game on Steam. So they scheduled a Deathmatch Classic day to try and get it into the top 10 most played games for the day. I don't think any of them knew it was a Valve game.

I wish a new multiplayer game would take on the style of the Wolfenstein enemy territory game. That was a fucking excellent team game.

Funny. A shame I missed it. I would've enjoyed shitting on redditors.

>the fuck are you talking about?
Exactly what I said. Videogames used to be made by a team of nerds who had next to no oversight from the higher ups except for a general mandate of "do stuff to make money". This lead to games that were the product of nerds working together to do what they thought would be fun ("If I'd buy it, it'll make money"). This worked well, because everyone who bought the game was a nerd. In essence, no one had any idea what they were doing and as such no one could optimize a set of variables in order to maximize their player base, they just did stuff they thought would be fun.

Now, however, videogames aren't just a product for nerds, and there is significant oversight and meddling by management. This is done in the name of expanding the target demographic beyond just nerds. In order to do this, they need to hone in on and focus on several things and polish them, because non-nerds won't stick around otherwise.

This is what I reference in the comment about montages. Yes, older games had those things, but that's not the point: These games are DESIGNED to be fun to watch if you're not the one playing the game. Part of the design is that players watching a streamer (who has their account unlocked by, in this case, Blizzard) can see flashy things and go out and spend money on the game.

Quake wasn't designed to be fun to watch to outsiders.

>Arena shooters are shit because I just get stomped by veterans!!!
Imagine being this much of a weak faggot. I got back into Quake recently and I'm pretty much dominating at the 1500 brackets, in which I was getting utterly raped a mere 3 months ago.
Quake is great, because there are so many different separate aspects to improve on. Moving your character, item timing, map controlling, railing, rocket predicting, lg tracking. It has something you can always focus on improving, regardless of the fact you're getting rekt.

hell yeah ET was great, and it was even free.
no rewards, no progression, no lootboxes. fun gameplay is all we needed.
i want to go back.

Attached: 9.gif (72x80, 13K)

Reminder that 2020 is /our year/

Attached: 1518662507273.png (800x606, 515K)

t.

Attached: 1534033700348.png (378x349, 34K)

Arena is classic deathmatch.

>no progression
Not the kind of progression you're referring to but it was a feature in the game.

2pbp

You are what is wrong with gaming these days.
you just want dumb progression because it ticks a box in ur head n you think ur doing well but ur just on a treadmill the devs set out for people to keep artificial interest in the game, they dont want to play games for the playing of games, just the progression and slight feel good of unlocks.
kill yourself

u.

I love icecream!

youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc