Was it worth it?

In the long run, was Kingdom Hearts a good idea for SquareSoft?

Attached: kfhg2sfsqs.png (904x883, 324K)

Other urls found in this thread:

khinsider.com/news/Edge-Magazine-Features-Kingdom-Hearts-III-Cover-Story-14331?page=2
youtube.com/watch?v=tIz3XVY2ocA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

Were did that picture come from?

Good idea in that it made a lot of money overall and built trust with Disney.

The first game? Maybe.
But at what cost? Seemed like SquareSoft was losing edge after the game released and the series took off.

Sora is such a q.t3.14 Kingdom Hearts deserves to exist just to give us KH1 Sora.

But to answer your question, Square wanted KH to be exactly what it is. At no point did they ever question the trainwreck of hack directing and hack combat programming. In fact, from what I've heard they've only encouraged it.

Attached: 1551195828963.png (1694x1664, 970K)

I’d say so, yeah.

Sure - they have a successful franchise on their hands that seemingly competes with their flagship title now

Attached: Kingdom Hearts Visual Art Collection - 012.jpg (1442x1984, 590K)

Define "losing edge". 2 had more sales than 1. I'll give you the spinoffs that followed were all garbage

Sora's initial design in the concept art, he was suppose to be a lion or something, there was more designs out there with him in the lion ears/tails. model might be a rip from the first game, some games will have the prototype designs for characters that aren't in the final game. Otherwise, it's an edit.

>corruption on male
my nigerian friend

Attached: 69922013_p0.jpg (516x731, 398K)

at this point, I feel like it's less a question of Square Enix thinks it's a good idea so much as if they care whether or not it is.

I mean KH, from a licensing standpoint must be kind of a nightmare money sink.

But it also feels like the kind of game they did it purely because they could.

Sora chose the dark side
they had cookies xD

Attached: dark sora 2.png (1028x895, 114K)

Yes, it's been a very successful series over the years. Really, there's no downside for Square.

Didn’t he also have a chainsaw sword?

>I mean KH, from a licensing standpoint must be kind of a nightmare money sink.
Dude, Square doesn't pay Disney to licence their IPs or something. Disney owns everything Kingdom Hearts related, and they basically allow Square to make games with the IP. Yes Nomura did help come up with the main concept of KH, but seeing as Disney has made one game (the V-cast one) without Square and they were at least in the process of developing another, I can say with certainty it's not Square's baby

>it's not Square's baby

wouldn't that mean its a pain in the ass IP for people working with Square? All that talent, time and effort getting sunk into a game to appease Disney sounds kind of degrading imo. All of that worker pool would've been better off on Versus XIII or fixing the Final Fantasy series.

>All of that worker pool would've been better off on Versus XIII or fixing the Final Fantasy series.
user I don't know if you know this but that's why KH went to shit. Square kept trying to make these titles alongside KH and that's why we have so many shitty spinoffs and FF turned to trash.
That plus nomura being a hack and no one wrangling him.

>wouldn't that mean its a pain in the ass IP for people working with Square?
I mean, if the IGN interview is anything to go by it's not super easy. Disney has a lot of standards for their Disney IPs, and Nomura's team had to visit with the creative teams behind each Disney movie.
>All that talent, time and effort getting sunk into a game to appease Disney sounds kind of degrading imo.
I mean, it was Nomura's idea to go to Disney in the first place. And according to Nomura, working with Disney is challenging but rewarding because he gets to use some of most iconic cartoon characters out there.
>All of that worker pool would've been better off on Versus XIII or fixing the Final Fantasy series.
Tell that to FFXV, yikes!

It made them a shit ton of money and a bunch of blind fan boys so yes.

Personally I think it was a waste of time and I don't like the games too much. I played them all, that's just my opinion on it. Too much nonsense, power of friendship shit, asspulls everywhere, can't really say I cared a whole lot about the characters, the plot just isn't that gripping. I don't get the hype.

>IGN interview

Didn't he have to wait around 6-12 months before Disney got back to him to let him know if he was allowed to use one of their IP's? It sounded less like Nomura was unprofessional and more like Disney was constantly stalling for time. Maybe they were expecting him to stop bothering the company and leave them alone? idk

>just realised
>Nomura wanted KH protag to be a lion-boy
>Nomura joined Square drawing really well made Monster designs
>Obsessed with Disney, drawing style is very cartoony now compared to 20 years ago
>Favourite Disney movie is Lion King
>Nomura

hmmm

>Didn't he have to wait around 6-12 months before Disney got back to him to let him know if he was allowed to use one of their IP's?
No? Which one?
>It sounded less like Nomura was unprofessional and more like Disney was constantly stalling for time. Maybe they were expecting him to stop bothering the company and leave them alone? idk
Is there any evidence for this or are you making it up

>This wasn't his Dream Drop Distance outfit, sans tail

That's nuts

That would have been funny to see.

regardless of your opinions of the games' quality themselves, yes, absolutely it was. anything that meshes anime/FF shit with disney shit is guaranteed to print some amount of money, even if it isn't a smash hit.

>
>
I remember reading in some interview he gave in a magazine about a month or two ago? I think it was called Edge? They were talking about the partnership between Square and Disney and what they liked about their movies and teased a possibility of another game in the future. And I distinctively remember that they spoke about a lot of video conferences and the ease of the internet to not having to travel as much.
Fuck. I should've bought the fucking magazine.

fuck, wait: there's some transcripts of the interview over on KH insider. they detail the interviews and material from the magazine:

khinsider.com/news/Edge-Magazine-Features-Kingdom-Hearts-III-Cover-Story-14331?page=2

One paragraph kind of sticks out to me. Its an interesting passage:

>"Square Enix and Disney held weekly teleconferences to keep communication about the project open. Disney would send over the data that they were willing to share and Square Enix would work to recreate the data, which were then sent back to Disney for approval. This resulted in a back-and-forth until both companies were happy with the final product. What caused most issues for Disney, Edge reports, were in-engine cutscenes. They would request small detail changes, such as a character showing less teeth or having their eyelids move differently. Pixar even requested changes such as having a character's line of sight adjusted, which was instrumental in raising the general quality of animation throughout the entire game. But despite Disney's desire to achieve perfection, they didn't put any pressure on the development team to quicken the process. Rather, it was actually the team who were concerned about the amount of time they were taking and trying to rush Disney."

REMINDER NOMURA SHOWED CAT BOY BUT BEGGED FOR MC TO BE NORMAL LOOKING IN KINGDOM HEARTS

REMINDER NOMURA HAD MUSIC AND MODELS WITH ANIMATIONS DONE IN 2006 FOR FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII

REMINDER NOMURA HAD TO GIVE WHATEVER WAS DONE WITH FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII TO THE COMPANY AND MOVE THE WHOLE TEAM TO SAVE FINAL FANTASY XIV. THIS WOULD ALSO GIVE HIM FUTURE BENEFITS/ROYALTIES IF IT SUCCEEDS, WHICH IT DID

REMINDER THAT NOMURA SOLD THE IDEA TO IMPORT THE NOCTIS MODEL TO FFXIV TO CREATE CAT BOY MALE MIQO'TE

REMINDER THAT NOMURA WAS TOLD MID WAY THROUGH DEVELOPING KH3 TO MOVE TO UNREAL AND DITCH THE OLD ENGINE

REMINDER THAT NOMURA HAD TO WORK LITERALLY NEXT TO HAJIME WHO ALSO HAD TO USE UNREAL TO RECREATE NOMURA'S FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII

Attached: 1542051029596.jpg (797x534, 40K)

I don't see anything about the delayed time-taking it took to contact Disney here though, but I'm certain I read it somewhere. Although, it sounds interesting what working with the company was like from here. They sounded like a real pain in the ass:

>"Now, Disney is actually quite selective with the data they choose share, even for a project so closely associated with their brand like Kingdom Hearts III. Thus, Square Enix only received the basic polygonal shapes for the characters. There were guidelines for where the hair should be and what the materials are, but ultimately the artists had to recreate everything themselves.

It proved to be quite a challenge for Square Enix to accomplish, as Disney refused to share details even of something like the patterns of snowflakes on the veil covering Elsa's dress. At the same time, the recreations were expected to meet Disney's high standards."

Post more lion boy Sora

Attached: sora concept.jpg (300x428, 124K)

I'm disappointed there was no FF in 3 besides moogles.

People actually like cat-boy sora?
Fucking ew. KH1 Sora is way cuter.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: hell no. They've fucked this series beyond repair and I can't even muster any more interest in it.

meh, I like normal Sora more but cat-Sora wouldn't have offended me too badly. mind you, I'm talking in context with my 2002 self, before I knew what furshit was.

>KH was almost a furry franchise
Crisis averted

Yeah, it totally didn't make millions.

Why are Nomurafags so disturbingly, autistically attached to the man? He'll never be one of the greats.

honestly it would've been better without disney
besides some nostalgia it contributes absolutely nothing but filler

Attached: DsP-lsdXoAAWALC.jpg (824x740, 36K)

No wonder he doesn't wanna use FF characters anymore.

FF has caused him nothing but problems.

Kingdom Hearts was amazing when it was "Final Fantasy X Disney" this concept is so goofy and hilarious, thinks of all the possibilities! Ultros and Ursula team up, Gidan helps robin hood steal from the poor, Captain Hook kidnap faris!

Unfortunately square-enix fucked it up when it stopped about being these 2 franchises, nobody gave a shit about organisation XIII,xion, the keyblade war, there was no need for DDD,358/2 days,that stupid fucking mobile game (actually 2 stupid fucking Mobile game) or 2.8,

square-enix ruined it by making shit as it went about what basically amount to a kiddie version of star wars where everyone is Darth Vader rather than the crossover everyone wanted

Attached: Winnie_4f5f78_718107.jpg (750x390, 111K)

>a property making millions is evident that its high quality

yeah, maybe to puny little minds

Now is a homosexual franchise.

>Have access to a treasure trove of Disney IP's steeped in classic fairy tales and folklore
>Turn it into convoluted anime shit
This is why Square is a shitty developer.

Attached: 1536074676045.png (1500x1000, 648K)

Relevant
youtube.com/watch?v=tIz3XVY2ocA

yikes chill autismo

the FF characters were just there to spout exposition even in the first game

And they were still better characters than anyone invented after 2.

if it wasn't Nomura causing Sqaure to go to shit for the last 20 years,
then who the fuck was it?

cursed image

Why is KH1 Sora so cute and why can't any other Sora compete?

I'm not saying the final fantasy character had a significant role

I'm saying that fanservice is the essence of kingdom hearts and fanservice was murdered for the sake of doing a billion spinoffs,

kingdom hearts would be fine if it was just 1,2,BBS and a 3 that had shit like hunchback of Notre dame and fantasia done properly

the merge with enix probably didn't help either of the companies, you could say everything ended after X with Square. Their first game together as Sqaure Enix is XI japan in 2001, it was their step into the internet and mobile world of stuff in their own country. Both service and XI the mmo did most of the leg work to get other projects rolling since it was a mmo. Think about the people who also left during the merges and developments of future final fantasy titles. With XII done the way it was, which was too mmo like, the company planned to really reinvision the final fantasy title and the genre with 13, the Fabula Nova Crystallis.

XIII, REAL VERSUS, and ORIGINAL Harry Potter game were suppose to each have a trilogy and be different from each other. Unfuckingfortunately the company wanted to also make MMO 14 and we all know how that fucking went, they flopped and rose up again because they had to cancel everything and about Fabula Nova Crystallis. Regular 13 got out but probably not the way they wanted, the extra 2 games were just to fill in gaps for shareholders and was already basically done and thought out.

Attached: 1533746310348.jpg (298x403, 21K)

>Investing in a Square/Disney franchise
Of course, it's a fucking money printer
>Making Nomura franchise director
Fuck no, dude is only good at monster design

Attached: 2198738136819637281.jpg (355x780, 34K)

Was it a good idea for a company to make a hugely popular video game series? Yes i would say so.

Redpill me on this Enix company, I've literally never heard of anything they did besides merge with Square and I didn't even learn that was a thing until a few years ago, I just thought they changed their name.

They don't care about the quality of their products if they make money user

guys... i found what killed everything

Attached: final fantasy.jpg (503x755, 67K)

Why would you bother even communicating with KH fans? You already know what they'll say. You already know they think Nomura can do no wrong.