D-pad

Holy shit I'm so bad at Hollow Knight, I think I need a controller with a good d-pad for platforming.
What's best for PC? Don't give me that xbone shit

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MTCKC/ProconXInput/releases
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Xbox 360 controller is the best.

Im good with the keyboard, OP.
WASD and arrow keys.

xbone controller is unironically the best controller ever made, anyone that disagrees has shit taste or hasn't used every controller out there like myself

i use 8bitdo n30 pro 2 and its great

Gamecube controller is the only one made for human hands though

Joycons. DS3 or DS4. 8bitdo's SF30 Pro.

I am not gay

Wii U Pro, accept no substitutes.

Xbox and Sony controllers are bad and have always been bad.

and bad at hollowknight

More like silly little toddler hands, you disgusting manlet

>pantheon of hallownest
i reached absolute radiance and beat her in the hall
i think that's enough for me

beat her in the pantheon then

Does a d-pad have any advantage over a keyboard for a platformer?

Attached: 1550610902827.png (1800x1100, 28K)

Did you do it on Radiant level?
That whole one hit it's all over instantly bullshit made me drop the Godmaster expansion. There is no reward for it anyway.

GameCube face button layout was probably one of the best innovations in the standard controller industrial design ever added. It really bothers me it didn't become standard. As a game designer it really simplifies the fuck out of button layouts and makes them far more intuitive to use.

That said the xbone controller is reigning king of well made controllers. I personally don't like analog triggers but they have a niche use that's pretty important where they're needed.

[spoilers]For new design I'm actually really digging split joycon ergonomics[/spoilers]

Not really, it's mostly preference.

i barely beat her on attuned
shit like nkg and pv you learn the fight as you go and once it clicks the fight goes by smoothly
ar just covers half the screen in moving 2-mask hitboxes and can shit out multiple attacks at once

If you're not using a Dualshock 2 then you're playing video games wrong.

Dualshock 4

Dualshock 3 if you need a good D-Pad. X360 if you don't.

Might just be more familiar to control a side scroller character with your left thumb on a dpad than having three fingers on the WASD keys.

>he didn't beat the game with a shit joycon analog stick

I don't have Nintendo consoles

I'm trying my og DualShock (ps1) with added swag of being transparent
But it's 21 years old and it shows
>Mfw my controller is older than half of Yea Forums

Of the modern controllers that you can still buy at retail,

Xbone has a very clicky d-pad. Personally I hate it but some prefer a d-pad to be clicky, so if that's what you want, get it, because they're the only one that makes it that way

Switch has a broken d-pad that misreads the axis very easily. Supposedly this has been fixed but I'm not sure, and even if it has been, how do you know you're getting a fixed one or a broken one? Very little info, also the most expensive controller with no analog triggers

DS4 has a standard mushy d-pad which is probably what you're looking for. It's not without its problems, including short battery life and useless LED display, but overall I would rate it highest in comfort and switch quality

You mean the pro controller?
Is it even recognized in not steam games read: pirate ?

Xbone has the best dpad/combination of features out of newer controllers. Best controller all time desu.

If you judged it based on release xbone, the dpad is totally different now.

>Xbone has a very clicky d-pad.

No, it doesn't, this was the first edition and it was revised and then the revision was improved. It's totally different now. They envisioned the dpad as a "menu selector" at first and then it was reborn into an actual dpad.

current xbone controller is best controller all time.

you can launch any application through steam to use steam's best-in-class controller configuration support.

So do I buy the one made for xbone-s?

I don't have a steam account
And I don't want to make one only to get banned for launching pirated exes

I can't keep track of all the xbox controllers. I got the One S and I still didn't like it, thought it might have been for another reason than the d-pad

you haven't been able to buy the old one for 3 years.

steam doesn't issue bans for anything like that, and you can freely make as many steam throwaway accounts as you want anyway.

The wired Xbox 360 controller is the gold standard for any game that needs a controller but not gyro.

Anyone who says Wii-U Pro is delusional, that thing is a piece of shit.

>.asks for good d-pad
>recommends the 360
Stop

github.com/MTCKC/ProconXInput/releases
Like DS4Windows, it emulates a 360 controller. No rumble, though.

keyboard

the 360 controller has the worst d-pad of a major controller of all time you retard

I just use an arcade stick. In the heyday of the 2D platformer, didn’t everyone want an NES advantage, or envy the people with Neo-Geo?

Unironically the PS4 controller is the best for 2D games as it has the D-Pad on top rather than the bottom like an Xbox. Just use DS4Windows to connect the controller and you’ll be good to go

I played with ibuffalo snes controller. Not really enough buttons but at least they can make a decent dpad for cheap

>360 controller
>For a good dpad
No wonder I'm the only one who has replied

Yet I prefer it over everything else.

The revision is less clicky than the original but it's still not a mushy d-pad. The d-pad is very tactile, it will feel weird if you're not used to it, and if you grew up with sony/nintendo controllers, you won't be. Only clicky D-pad Nintendo has made is on the 3DS

>The d-pad is very tactile, it will feel weird if you're not used to it, and if you grew up with sony/nintendo controllers, you won't be

If you can't adapt to a slightly different d-pad that's the current best available, get another hobby than video games.

I grew up on 8 and 16 bit. The xbone is your current best bet.

Get the DS4 and Xbone and return the one you don't like. It all comes down to personal preference. Anyone arguing objectivity is a retard

>The xbone is your current best bet.
It's just the controller you like most. Different people will have different opinions on this, as do I

You have the best controller made right in the OP-pic, user.

no

pokken controller

>analog triggers
Digital triggers > analog triggers.
What's with this fucking meme that insists that analog triggers are so damn valuable somehow? Who even plays racing games that uses analog triggers?
I had to fuckng purchase special parts to mod my DS3 controller to fix the triggers.
Controllers aren't fucking guns. Triggers is a really stupid name for shoulder buttons.

I use the analog stick for platformers too. Maybe try that?

my opinion matters vastly more than other peoples'

if you have played games since 1986 and been at highly competetive levels in multiple genres while having professionally written about games, tell me

honestly the reality of it is that some opinions hold more weight

the PS4 dpad is acceptable, it's the second choice, but the controller itself is an abortion and so far behind the xbone controller in every way that you shouldn't even consider it unless the dpad is your ONLY criterion.

>my opinion matters vastly more than other peoples'
Stopped reading

You might very well be right, if you can get a Switch Pro with a fixed d-pad it's probably the best choice with that argument

your loss

go ask an aboriginie passed out in the road in australia what the best controller is, their opinion is just as useful as the guy who has played games for over 30 years and mastered hundreds of games of different genres, many with precise/fast dpad input being critical

>go ask an aboriginie passed out in the road in australia what the best controller is
Or how about we ask this straw man what he likes best

there are people giving input in the thread who cant do a dragon punch on a dpad man. thats all im saying.

if you are goign to hard and fast say their opinion holds as much weight as mine you are wrong and theres just no other way to see it

>an aboriginie passed out in the road in australia
They gone figured me out

I agree but at what point did authority on the matter even come up? You're just assuming I'm clueless because it's convenient for your argument

that never happens. I played through multiple touhoushit games like that.

It's still annoying how the switch pad freaks out outside steam. Shame, because it became my favorite.

"it's the controller you like most"

the basketball that michael jordan thinks is best to practice with is probably the best basketball

>controller itself is an abortion
Do you have an actual complaint? I already noted the retarded LED and poor battery life, and yeah the touch screen is retarded but you don't have to use it and it doesn't actually affect ergonomics. You're not the only one who has been playing games for a long time, and I too have owned pretty much every major controller since before NIntendo invented the d-pad

This was my impression with the white One S controller I bought. The d-pad was clicky (not as clicky as the original but still annoyingly stiff), the buttons squeaked in their sockets, and the controller's bluetooth radio audibly hissed the entire time it was on and connected. I was not at all impressed. Maybe it was defective and maybe MS just makes shitty controllers, I don't know and I don't care, but my complaints sum up to more than me calling it an abortion. I don't like it, and I think the only reason most people like it is because most people only buy one controller without experiencing others and MS is pretty much the go-to for PC users who never owned consoles to begin with.

>This was my impression with the white One S controller I bought. The d-pad was clicky (not as clicky as the original but still annoyingly stiff), the buttons squeaked in their sockets, and the controller's bluetooth radio audibly hissed the entire time it was on and connected

You got a defective controller.

>maybe MS just makes shitty controllers
They invested $100 million dollars in R&D for the xbone controller.

I just use my old PS3 Controller desu

>You got a defective controller.
Perhaps, or perhaps most people just aren't as perceptive as I am, because it "worked", and if I was some idiot who just plays CoD like most Xbox fans then I probably wouldn't have noticed anything else

How far have you gotten in Hollow Knight?

I did all of pic related with Keyboard only. If I can, you can. Don't blame the input method, blame yourself.

Attached: Hall of Gods Radiant.png (1360x768, 665K)

No, you got a defective controller. The buttons don't squeak. I wouldn't describe the dpad as clicky at all, that's why I said it was revised and then revised again. You got an in-between

I played hollow knight about 2 hours and uninstalled it never to play again, I hated it

>The buttons don't squeak.
I'm talking about the face buttons, first of all, and it depended on the angle they were being pressed down, with how much they were rubbing against the edges of the sockets. Best Buy employee couldn't do it so I could it from it and started making it squeak. He laughed

You wouldn't notice the radio sound unless you're connected wirelessly too, which you probably aren't, and it's not like a loud sound, but I have very sensitive hearing

Anyway I went through 3 models and they were all like this so I'm convinced it's not a defect. It's just subtle things that people don't notice

While we're at it I don't like the face buttons either, the switches have a tight actuation zone which makes it too easy to trigger double presses

>so I could it from it
Wow I fucked that sentence up
"so I took it from him"

>I'm talking about the face buttons
yeah of course you are when you say buttons. they don't squeak. did you see the part where I said microsoft invested $100 million into controller R&D?

its pointless to make an argument based on an experience that was an aberration. I dunno what point you are trying to make.

>Anyway I went through 3 models and they were all like this so I'm convinced it's not a defect
Fabricated, you would've said this to begin with, bye

>did you see the part where I said microsoft invested $100 million into controller R&D?
Is this supposed to be impressive? They're still garbage made in China at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much they paid white people to design it

>you would've said this to begin with, bye
I could say anything I want to, you're arguing based on authority which is a fallacy to begin with and I'm the one who's stated this is nothing more than opinion, something which seems hard for you to come to terms with

I suggested OP get both controllers and return the one he didn't like, that's what I did and I have the DS4 now

you can use ANY controller on pc :)

I also use a xbox 360 controller and is by far the best one I have.

The 360 is ok in general but the d-pad is awful