What's the downside to buying a used Steam link?

What's the downside to buying a used Steam link?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-26-07-10-03.png (720x1280, 368K)

Downside is some filthy redditor has probably touched it with their grimmy hands and now it's in your house.

I paid $5 for mine new...

Aren't they like 1$ during steam sales?

>buying anything used ever
Absolutely disgusting.

This. Just wait for the sale.

>What's the downside to buying a used Steam link?
you have a steam link

valve's not selling them anymore

>buy a steam link
>for $35

what the fuck is wrong with you? they couldn't give these things away. I just dropped one off at goodwill this week.

You could simply buy a HDMI cable and be done with it

what? how is this possible with major unplayable input delay?

Used to use one of these to fish in WoW. Other than that I haven't found much use for it.

Explain why you think there would be major unplayable input delay.

not that user but
>stream video output to h264 or something
>add wifi ping lag
>decode to hdmi signal
>add the input lag of your meme tv
>add the input lag of the wireless controller you're using
this would add up to like half a fucking second. If you turned on vsync, it would be a fucking nightmare.

Ah, so it turns out your assumptions about things are wrong

*output lag of the controller
I'm ESL.

With 60m of ethernet cable, a wireless keyboard and mouse, steam link is barely passable for team fortress 2 with most classes, I wouldn't dare play a proper fps. RPGs and other single player games are great with it. Its also great for streaming videos and browsing the internet in bed.
Good luck finding a 60m hdmi cable.

you know wireless controllers haven't had any human-measurable lag at all for over two generations, right...since about 2004 or so

how does it work then? you can't broadcast the signal itself, there's not enough bandwidth even on 5ghz wifi. You'd have to encode it.
I do. If you do ALL the shit in my post then it will add up though.

>60m between tv and pc
apparently you are living in a mansion, so i'm sure you can afford another battlestation.

>Good luck finding a 60m hdmi cable.
iirc HDMI 1.x is only spec'ed for 10m, 2.x even less.

it adds up to like 20ms of lag in practice. I played Dota 2 on it and won. I played Doom 2016 on it.

It ain't worth $35 though. They sold them on steam for $1.

i played counterstrike just fine on mine

Steamlink is now a free app on Samsung smart TV's. To think I nearly bought one of the 1 dollar ones during the fire sale. It's not perfect but it let me play Ace Combat on my couch with a controller.

Downside is there still aren't a ton of good games that use the controller. Haven't done MHW on it yet, but I've got no one to play with.

the downside is it might be broken OP lol
when you buy used shit

the steam link has has no latency, 1 frame max
not to be used with mouse imo
if you're using a gamepad its perfect

Or I live in a house with the pc and steam link at the furthest points possible going around most walls instead of through them. Although 60m is now wrong, its 45 meters after I drilled through 2 walls to hide the cables. 5m to router 1, 30m to router 2, 10m to steamlink.I might be able to cut 5m off but I'm too lazy to cut the 30m wire down.

keep in mind you're talking to children and retarded neets

the biggest complaint online everywhere regarding the steam link is "why spend money for this when I can just use an hdmi cable"
max range of hdmi is nothing, max 5meters where you will get close to perfect picture and a repeater is 30 dollars giving you twice that short range and so on

the input lag is like using activating vsync in-game
its not that big

the average expensive tv hdmi-input has a bigger latency, 30+ ms