Underrail
Shadowrun
Age of Decadence
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Pathfinder: Kingsmaker
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonsspear
Legends of Grimrock

How would you rate the cRPG revival so far? Were they worth reviving, or is the genre just outdated?

Attached: reviving-crpg-1-750x404.jpg (750x404, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ayap1tcy_0E
youtube.com/watch?v=eKpNfJsKUHI
youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
youtube.com/watch?v=yEnP8Kq37XE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gotta get up
gotta get out
gotta get home before the morning comes

Attached: 69f.jpg (354x286, 15K)

Pretty good, but old RPGs are better by the sheer amount of custom connect that was made for them over the years

Attached: 000122255465.png (990x740, 690K)

i'm glad for whoever is playing these games but it ain't me

Kingsmaker was OK, I guess...

Grimrock and Grimrock 2 are great
The other games in that list are awful though

I'm impressed by it
SOME classic RPGs are better
you forget how much searing hot rubbish was put out
modern stuff is often more safe but generally of good quality

I've enjoyed all of these games. I was never expecting another BG2 to come out of the revival, but fun, enjoyable CRPGs. My favorites are probably D:OS 1-2, Bard's Tale IV and Underrail.

We've gotten some solid 7/10 and 8/10 games but nothing truly wonderful yet. Pathfinder Kingmaker could have been I think but the bug-a-thon plus the really weird enemy stat buffs compared to the tabletop game make it less enjoyable.

Underrail is great. One of my favorite games of all times. Can not wait fucking wait for the DLC to release.
Pathfinder is pretty decent. I think it's a bit boring with its story and setting though. I think they mechanically did a pretty good job. Divinity Original Sin 2 is pretty good even if it is reddity. Definitely enjoyable still.
I would like to see another title here soon but I think it's in a pretty decent spot and some of these games have been very fun to play here recently.

Literally only D:OS2 is worth playing, the rest are trash

I disagree. Newer games rarely add something more besides 3d or better graphics, yet they offer content in thousand more hours. Case in point - BG saga and Morrowind. There're so many mods for both of those games it would take literal years to finish and see all of it if you dont get bored of the game before it. New games give you 100 hours tops

those games are good but you ignore all the complete garbage games that came out during that time as well
Europeans ITT would likely know what I mean since I feel like Americans never played many computer games as much

>here're so many mods for both of those games it would take literal years to finish
That's tangential to the quality of the games themselves, and only a very small of that content would be worth playing anyway.

>Legends of Grimrock
contender for the top ten list of best games ever made,

Good show. Weak ending.

>Shadowrun Dragonfall
is great
>Legends of Grimrock
disgusting RT combat

what I want is Jagged Alliance 2+1

Well thats only one thing. Another thing is newer games have LESS variety of content or in some cases dont have some type of content AT ALL. Case in point NWN persistent worlds. And yes EE was released that gave second breath to persistent worlds but it's still old NWN from 15 years ago. There're ZERO new RPGs that can provide content on the level of NWN persistent worlds.

Attached: 43205964_2359486930938875_7612470503560471779_n.jpg (460x460, 38K)

did the underrail dlc already release?

Dont play many crpgs usually arpgs and regular RPGs. Just recently defeated the void dragon in divinity origin sin.

Recommendations?

No

That's because NWN isn't actually providing that content; it's proving a toolset to allow people to make their own content.

>Pillars of Eternity
Boring, second one has good combat and shit everything else
>D: OS
Breddy gud
>Numenera
The reason why I stopped preordering
>Tyranny
Somewhat fun
>Wasteland 2
Hadn't played
>Underrail
Good
>Shadowrun
I liked Dragonfall and Hong Kong
>Decadence
Interesting
>Expeditions: Viking
Great
>Pathfinder: Kingmaker
DLC and bugfixes WHEN?

I guess I should finally give Dragonfall a go since I already own it. I thought Shadowrun Returns was..fine, but I wasn't really in a hurry to play more at the time.

>How would you rate the cRPG revival so far?

Apparently developers think cRPGs are 90% infinity engine games and 10% Fallout 1.

I have yet to see even one attempt the same as Ultima. Let alone Ultima Underworld.

Attached: 220px-Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (220x282, 126K)

D:OS2 was so dull i didn't even bother to finish it in Co-oP also way too easy.

grimrock is a blobber not a crpg

Go back to bed Cleve

did not like pillars at all, tyranny had some unfathomably bad writing and ended way too soon, original sin games are fantastic tho. still waiting for another hundred patches or so for kingmaker.

>No mention of ATOM:RPG

Cyka Blyat!

>Pathfinder: Kingsmaker

is it fixed yet

Havent there been a few JA games recently?

>I have yet to see even one attempt the same as Ultima.
show me one thing from ultimas that other rpgs haven't done better.
>Let alone Ultima Underworld.
underworld ascendcy did try

a bit shit desu

age of decadence was good but it felt extremely budget and didn't seem to have a lot of content.

This is the exact opposite of correct

i wish they'd make more RPGs in already established settings instead of making me learning YET ANOTHER samey fantasy setting with made up gobbledegook gimmick words to try and make it sound unique

Just played Planescape: Torment for the first time last month, enjoyed it greatly. Will I like Tides of Numenera if I go in expecting something only vaguely similar, or is it bad no matter the mindset you have going in?

Underrail and Age of Decadence are also good, and D:OS2 is also a lot more broken and full of design oversights than those.
The rest is trash though, I can agree with that.

There was an attempt to make a D&D 5e game in the vein of NWN called Sword Coast Legends. Unfortunately, the base campaign was somehow even more dull than NWN1 and the toolset for making new content was hamstrung and riddled with paid DLC bullshit.

>CPRG, but where the primary activity isn't combat

t.b.h. I think the #1 thing holding video games back from being legitimate art is that they are almost inherently focused on combat, which means you will only ever be able to have certain types of (combat heavy) scenarios. of course there are puzzle games and whatnot but as far as games with characters, unless it's a walking sim or VN tier shit then it's almost certainly combat related. my dream game is a CRPG where you don't actually fight anybody for the most part, but there's some central mechanic that is fairly similar to fighting as far as having lots of items, facing lots of short encounters of some kind, but it's not fighting, it's uh, something else. what could it be, Yea Forums?

Attached: moly.jpg (251x201, 5K)

Planescape
Tides of Numenara
Age of Decadence

Children’s Card games.

I plan on making a new CRPG game, but I don't think I can do it alone.

Any user want to team up? We'll build our own indie company and publish it.

play quest for glory as a thief

>>CPRG, but where the primary activity isn't combat
So either another poorly written VN like Planescape Torment?
No thanks, the further RPGs stray away from combat the shittier they are.

Attached: 1539064491544.jpg (148x216, 7K)

i can be idea guy

Never palyed a cRPG in my life. What do you guys like about them?

Attached: 1520854376625.jpg (620x451, 54K)

Mostly I think it's because when the companies release something they want it to be wholly theirs.

>Legitmate art
What does this even mean and why do you care? Games arent art because they are interactive and have objectives. Its like how Football can be considered art. Or if Poker is art.

Can we use Unity?

It's worse.

>Games arent art because they are interactive and have objectives.

Attached: 1545316441931.jpg (900x900, 97K)

I was planning on it, yeah.

We can do some asset creation through photoshop or blender. And we will port it into unity

Age of Decadence was very fun, but it might just be because I like Roman aesthetics

This. Its a shame how few King Arthur games there are, for example.

all of these are games where you fight people though, my point was let's say a game where you're just a wimpy herbivorous dinosaur race librarian who can't fight for shit, at all, who will never kill anyone in his life. so how would you make a CRPG around such a person, what activity to replace fighting that still has actual gameplay?

the reason I think this would be good is because killing literal hundreds or thousands of enemies requires a bit of a suspension of belief, and so you will never make true ludo about violence or its effects while you have such absurd death tolls. that is why "we can't kill him or we'll be just as bad" etc. conundrums are so stupid, it'd be more impactful if it was like in real life where wild west gunslingers were considered to be vicious killers if they took out more than 20 guys in their entire careers

>Pillars of Eternity
6.5/10, bored me and felt soulless
>Divinity: Original Sin
8/10, OS2 gets 9/10, only edgelords who are repulsed by the lighthearted Larian style of writing dislike them
>Tyranny
7/10, short and sweet
>Wasteland 2
6.5/10, felt fine but also a bit soulless
>Pathfinder: Kingmaker
8.5/10, everything and the kitchen sink, satisfyingly challenging, obviously made by people who like TTRPGs.
>Legends of Grimrock
It's a blobber, not a CRPG, but still 8/10. I don't like real time dungeon crawlers though.

I would like to see Baldur Gate combat system in modern games. Real time with pause it will be golden with fast paced CRPG and 3D environments.

Roleplaying and making my character a godlike creature of absolute destruction.

>Kingmaker threads on /vg/
>lively since release
>Deadfire threads on /vg/
>dead one month after release
REALLY makes you cast that Contingency: Owl's Insight

Which ones are turn based besides Divinity? I want to play more but only want turn based gameplay, microing 4 unique characters against air in real-time is just annoying

They're good, but I don't like the ones with all these terribly written, forced party members. Most of the time they are very tedious people and their fixed character classes limit your freedom to make the team you really want.

PoE only became playable to me once I dumped all the named party members and just went for completely custom adventurers.
PoE was still dull as fuck and I couldn't sit it out to the end, but it was significantly less dull with a custom party.

Give all the party members limited use of their utility abilities (thief skills, utility spells, some kind of social abilities for bards) per day, and make dungeons and quests timed so you can't rest to regain them whenever you want. You have to manage your resources instead of necessarily fighting. Is it worth it to lockpick that chest for the treasure when you need it to get through that door for a quest? Maybe you can have the bard charm a guard to get through instead?

Thats basically the entire list in the OP...

Pretty good. Everyone knows Pillars and the Divinity games are great but I also like the Shadowrun games a lot. Also I really like Tyranny but it's doomed to get shitposted to death any time it's brought up here because of the beast woman.

No-one wants to pay license fees to use an established world, user. Better to make up your own retarded one.

Combat based on strategy instead of reflex.

>my point was let's say a game where you're just a wimpy herbivorous dinosaur race librarian who can't fight for shit, at all, who will never kill anyone in his life. so how would you make a CRPG around such a person, what activity to replace fighting that still has actual gameplay?
Play MOON: Remix or Chulip, it has already been done.

That doesn't answer my question. Is it straight up bad, or just different? Is the gameplay worse (I have no idea how it could be), or the story?

The only thing Kingmaker and PoE are missing from that are 3D environments desu
I suppose what you mean is something like NWN3 but never ever

Choice and consequence, lots of replayability, tons to do, complicated rules-based combat with lots of flexibility, good stories.

Not great for obsidian. If the fallout ripoff doesn't sell they're dead

The wimp dinosaur would just go extinct in a cRPG. You might enjoy CYOA games instead, I'd recommend The Council. Haven't finished it though, so I can't recommend its entirety yet.

DON'T OPEN IT!

Attached: Kingmaker Mimic.jpg (2560x1764, 980K)

ATOM, Wasteland 2, and now Deadfire are all turn based.

Fantasy worlds go back thousands of years. You don't have to use a licensed one. Why not make your CRPG a retelling of the Illiad? Or Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?

yeah, I mean a 3D game with Baldur Gate System. Fast but with pause so you can think your next move.

>get Pathfinder on release
>like it a whole lot
>put 60 or so hours in
>encounter a really bad bug
>bug fix isn't properly retroactive get told to just start a new save file lmao
I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with a game

If we could get a modern Neverwinter Nights that allowed for all the customers modules and .haks then that would be great.

>ATOM
call me when Ivan actually balances the game and adds more content

Attached: turnbased.jpg (794x380, 79K)

Pretty much every game on the OP list besides Dragonspear, Legend of Grimrock, Torment and Tyranny.

Underrail
Wasteland
ATOM
Also check out the Xcom series

Those are all good. Some better than the others. However, the old RPGs had that... something in them. Call it aesthetics or soul or whatever but you can already see it just by looking at the cover art. It all reflects into the game. They don't make games like back in the day.

Attached: mm3.jpg (573x640, 77K)

No, it's slavshit and you'll take what you can get.

what are the chances of a fallout 1 and 2 remaster? I find it dumb that bethesda is just sitting on them.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 37K)

he wouldn't go extinct if the whole point wasn't fighting, but some other central activity. it could still be a world where there are lot of items and equipment to be used, and a common activity similar to fighting, but different enough to still be good and not just "fighting but not really". like resource management could be a good major component of the game, but I guess it'd have to be an ultra complex system to match/be a stand-in for combat, i.e. still be a CRPG. actually that does give me some good ideas.

Give me more Ludo Rock
youtu.be/ayap1tcy_0E

You always have to be careful with names. There are lots of jews out there who would love to file a lawsuit because your character has the same name as this other guy, lives in a place with the same name and does similar things.

What does Might and Magic do that modern Bethesda games dont do better?

0%

On the other hand most bugs are now gone and the devs actually listened to the players and added a lot of qol things to the game such as teleporting between settlements, throne room > map, enemy sheets with stats and lore, faster loading,
But yeah the release was janky as fuck thanks slavs

Bugfixes are done, the first DLC with the tiefling twins threesome was released already, second releases this week

Attached: memedon.jpg (1400x1831, 540K)

those are just adventure games or "fighting but not really", which wasn't the point

ISSA GREAT SPOILER

Attached: OPEN THE CHEST.png (254x466, 280K)

Surely someone is at least working on an asset rescale with neural nets.

>isles of terra
Awful spelling.

Slim to none. Bethesda doesn't want people to remember the old games. Unless Underrail's DLC includes mod tools so some ambitious wanker can rebuild the games in that engine, there will never be a true remaster.

Nothing worse than a patch that breaks your saves.

Pretty good. Underrail is amazing and so is Divinity. Pathfinder needs a little polish. Haven play Age of decadence. How is it?

Does Bethesda have the source code and assets? Their publisher and studio both folded. Its completely possible the games are lost forever.

They treated fantasy as if it was still mysterious and magic was powerful. A lot of it was the simple aesthetics, wizards looked wizardly, warriors wore practical, straightforward armor.

Nowadays the mystery is gone from fantasy games. Magic isn't treated as the realm of studied and cloistered powerful mages. It's overly "gamey" and cheap, and overdesigned as shit.

Interplay still exists, unfortunately.

there are relatively active modding scenes for the early fallout games (not as active as the 3D ones obviously) and I'm pretty sure they have the source code for those

Not to mention every character looks like a Tumblrite.

Attached: 70.jpg (760x368, 42K)

>wizards looked wizardly, warriors wore practical, straightforward armor
How about the way that in almost all modern cRPGs, EVERYONE uses magic. Even your dedicated fighter has a lot of magic-powered skills, many of which have big flashy colourful effects.
That will always bother me.

I didn't know this, what're they up to now?

>A lot of it was the simple aesthetics, wizards looked wizardly, warriors wore practical, straightforward armor.
Yeah, about that.

Attached: Arena_Cover.png (796x997, 1.94M)

tfw no scifi RPG

Underrail

The women don't count. They were eye-candy, and that was part of the charm.

Lying in a bed in a coma, their arms and legs amputated. Maybe they will recover, one day.
It's just that they don't even get visitors anymore. The nurse changes the sheets once a week. No-one bothers to close the blinds, day or night.

>shadowrun
>all those fallout clones
>outer worlds

Nothing wrong with a ninja class wearing lightweight, flexible armour that allows them full freedom of movement.

Sitting on their IP's doing nothing. They tried making a Fallout MMO (the one fallout right they held on to when they sold it to bethesda) a few years ago but got embroiled in a huge legal battle with Bethesda over it. This was before they ever publicly announced 76, but people keeping up with the legal battle figured out Bethesda was making some kind of MMO. So Bethesda stripped that from Interplay, who is doing nothing now.

I don't think we're going to count Outer Worlds as a CRPG.
More like Obsidian trying to one-up Bethesda with their own "here's how you do it" type game.
IMO they did that with Alpha Protocol, that game was a better RPG than any Mass Effect game, but mechanically it was seriously flawed and they ran out of time making it.

They're probably going to fuck it up.

Colony Ship is in the works.

>DLC with the tiefling twins threesome
>2 minutes in she reveals herself as just another turbo slut
I guess the game really needed a third slut female romance, huh.

Wonder how that will turn out. Probably going to go with the priest dude for the first run.

couldn't get into pillars or DOS, tyranny i'm currently playing and i'm pretty underwhelmed so far, Shadowrun Dragonfall is incredibly overrated, i found it really dull.

Shadowrun Hong Kong however, is great.

Aerie companion DLC when???
Also I can totally see them adding Drow as a player race with the third DLC that's supposed to have the infinite dungeon in the notunderdark
CRPG autists always long for drow

>Deadfire
Trash because they pandered to Tumblr over backers
>Tormrnt
Trash because they delayed and held back the game for consoles. We ended up with a console ported game to PC
>Wasteland 2
Not bad but the next game is console trash
>Shadowrun
Series is dead. They won't make anymore
>Siege of Dragonspear
The lead writer got fired so things might get better. Still trash though.
>Grimrock
Solid
>Divinity
Solid
>Underrail
Solid
>Pathfinder
Liquid

Wasteland 2 is great

>women don't count
Based and MGTOWpilled.

it's like reading a good story but you get to kill people at the same time

Most of them underwhelming at best except Divinity.

Mixed feelings. Games like Wasteland 2 had terrible writing but were surprisingly entertaining in terms of levelling/equipping your squad. Pillars of Eternity had surprisingly lackluster writing but some charming characters and some pretty beautiful environments. Still need to play Underrail, had it for a while now.

I liked Age of Decadence and it seems like the devs have learned a lot from its release, so here's hoping Colony Ship is even better.

Positive thinking; I'd say that was a good thing. They're in no shape better than Beth in making a Fallout MMO right now, and 76 just blew Beth the fuck out so they might take care treading their future games.

The stories and characters are really shitty in most of these newer games, as well as the writing itself. Don't know what happened.

>outer worlds

not hyped to tbqh the art style is so wacky it looks like pic related

Attached: 1520667125588.jpg (220x334, 32K)

>Pillars of Eternity
Liked the first game after all the patch and dlc, the second one not so much
>Divinity Original Sin
Can't get into larian's games at all
>Tyranny
Didn't like the spammy cooldown based combat and companions, might retry it though
>wasteland 2
Was pretty ok for 20 hours but then the combat became really repetitive
>Shadowrun
loved dragonfall and h-k
Same as wasteland 2
Played it when it xwasn't fully patched yet, tons of bugs, buff and autoattack combat and tedious kingdom management. Enjoyed theorycrafting characters and the amount of choices but not sure I'll replay
>Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonsspear
Completely unnecessary and that's without getting into the tranny stuff

>Don't know what happened
Age of Decadence is a good documentary about what is going on in the west.

>the second one not so much
Pretty fish

I like making a custom character, setting stats, a class, skills and abilities, giving them a theme and a shade of personality and then pushing them through an adventure, seeing how they deal with the conflict and challenges. Imagining them in a world and all that. The more stats and classes and choices and options there are, the better.

And escapism. I think mostly escapism.

Attached: 1429993144526.jpg (600x600, 132K)

>Blood Dragon RPG
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Its good, the lore in numenara is really bizarre..

you begin the game by falling from the sky as an abandoned vessel used by a god, and you go around looking for the other vessels the god has used and piecing the story together

combat is pretty much completely avoidable, i talked my way out of most conflicts

I just hated the companions. They were all boring as fuck and human. Minus the blob.

You're taking the piss but I'd actually enjoy it if there you could actually explain the allegory behind it

>show me one thing from ultimas that other rpgs haven't done better.

Combining open world with massive interactivity. Ultima 7 let you do an awful lot of things. Which is also the reason why these games always had such massive hardware requirements.

>underworld ascendcy did try

lol....yeah I wouldn't call that trying.

>How would you rate the cRPG revival so far?
Put over 100 hours into Grimoire. Pathfinder: Bugmaker was okay. Didn't like most of the others.
youtube.com/watch?v=eKpNfJsKUHI

>combat is pretty much completely avoidable, i talked my way out of most conflicts
That sounds a lot like Torment, desu.

>The stories and characters are really shitty in most of these newer games
They were exactly the same back in the days too.
D:OS games for instance have the same exact shitty writing as Baldur's Gate, and the same exact kind "reddit" humor as those games or Fallout.
I don't understand how anyone pretends videogames ever had good writing or how things were better in the past, then again this board tends to glorify pseudo intellectual hogwash like Torment or cheesy melodramatic trash like LoK so I should expect a generous amount of rose tinted nostalgia about the past since everyone's more impressionable and less jaded during their youth.

Torment is still the undisputed king of video game writing.

>Expeditions: Conquistador

hmm i always thought these were meh trash but they seems to have decent userscores

which would be better to try first? vikings seems the more interesting setting

Attached: 1520794421603.gif (250x250, 1.01M)

I didn't mean anything beyond the very simple reference to the word Decadence in the title. The game is a good cRPG with nice lore tho.

I think Vikings is newer so it probably has some polish and QoL that Conquistadors didn't have. I didn't play Vikings.

Conquistadors, however, has an excellent setting. If you like colonialism and racism, you're gonna love it.

they are great games, but both identical except in setting.

CRPGs are plenty alive. Problem is people expected all the kickstarted projects to be 10/10 GOTY quality AND that all of would appeal to them. If anything, CRPGs today have never been more varied.

Attached: AoD_death2.jpg (1022x816, 193K)

The characters are definitely worse. All of the possible party members in the Baldur's Gate saga were well written and were interesting. Every party member in Pillars was irritating.

>dat feel when there are people who actually played Morrowind on the XBox

Pathfinder is entertaining due to the mechanics but jesus christ I have never seen worse companions in a game. First time I'm going through a rpg solo and not doing char quests so they get killed at the end

>Underrail is great. One of my favorite games of all times. Can not wait fucking wait for the DLC to release.

that game was like a motherfucker released in the last weeks of the year and basically no one except Yea Forums and rpg codex paid any attention to it. such a goddamn shame.

Some of the deaths in Age of Decadence were truly brutal. Do you have the one where you get eaten alive, slowly, by these freaky little burrowing worms?

Yeah, they're mostly garbo. Thankfully you can put together an entirely customized party.

Morrowind and KOTOR on the Xbox were my introduction to WRPGs.
I loved the fuck outta them. Even if I didn't understand what was happening in Morrowind.

Watch out for the upcoming Disco Elysium. Thing is take out combat and you basically have a CYOA VN.

Attached: ss_23836438cd455287232be5ae9c4f48d5c488967b.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 1.13M)

>behold the 13 yo edgy angsty pseud
Lurk 5 years you moron.

age of decadence was way too hardcore for your average rpg fan, though. it aimed for a niche within a niche and is pretty stellar in that department. I've just been hard pressed to recommend it to most fans of the genre.

What alignment did you guys play?

I'm playing the game as Lawful Evil, since so few games actually LET YOU play a decent Evil character, and the party members are pretty alright. I've got barbarian lady, undead elf lady, cuckwife bard halfling, not-paladin girl, and just got the mopey dwarf cleric.

Basically it was a harem until the dwarf showed up, and he's too sad to do anything about it.

Sometimes it's good when they're a hidden gem, when they sneak under the radar. It means they can remain unmolested. They won't suffer the kind of harassment that more popular games have to deal with.
It does mean they may not get the money to make more games, but if they do, they can make them with much more freedom.

>I don't understand how anyone pretends videogames ever had good writing
Fallout 1&2 had genuinely good writing
But so do Witcher 2&3 or Fallout NV

>Combining open world with massive interactivity. Ultima 7 let you do an awful lot of things.
not really.
i mean back then it was revolutionary that you could harvest wheat, turn it into flour and bake a bread out of it, but nowadays that's basic stuff. tons of games have crafting these days.
>Which is also the reason why these games always had such massive hardware requirements.
that was just 7. all other ultimas worked just fine with mediocre PC:s.

What the fuck? I thought it was pretty easy coming from a few failed FO2 games as my only cRPG experience. It might had something to do with me picking one of the predetermined character stats and savescumming though.

Whichever setting you prefer, basically. Next game is supposedly set during Rome according to the trademark.

Is cashing in on nostalgia really a revival?

Fallout 2 would be called reddit as fuck if it were made today. It is jam-packed with pop culture references and random moments.

>Pillars of Eternity
more like Pillars of Text
>Tyranny
CYOA #23340: BBEG's grunt edition
half baked kingdom simulator with intense railroading action
>Shadowrun
it's like one of those porn games with annoying mini games, you do a lot of boring shit with a preditctable loot table and get rewarded with the CYOA style story progression. at least the music is good in this one.

>tons of games have crafting these days.
Yeah

"crafting"

i.e. some menu that spawns items in your inventory. Come on, that ain't the same.
Ultima 7 actually reproduced the work steps within the world. That is some sort of detail you rarely find.

>that was just 7. all other ultimas worked just fine with mediocre PC:s.

You don't seem to remember Ultima 9.

>both identical except in setting.
wut?
conquistator was basicly just turn based tactics with minimal character development and almost no rpg elements.
vikings however is a proper crpg

>STR/CON-based char
>woman

Attached: 1521759226926.jpg (709x709, 77K)

First of all, all romanceable chars are unrepentant sluts, with the optional secret optional psychopath. The non romanceable are often annoying and/or tracherous beyond you capacity to punish. Some are tolerable but none will make you think, "damn, I really want to drink a beer this this guy/gal". Overall I think they are garbage people but you do you.

I have played all previous rpgs as chaotic good but I restarted this one specifically to make a neutral evil run because fuck them all.

To be fair it's kinda said that formulaic crafting systems are so dull that even something you use once or twice in the entire game, like blacksmithing in Dark Messiah, stands out and is memorable for it.

Alright Yea Forums, what about this CRPG idea:

>game where you are a fairly chickenshit, peaceful dino herbivore-race librarian like I mentioned a few posts ago. others can join your party later of course
>the battles are based on escaping, not killing anyone. to that end, you have a bunch of equipment to do this. for example, enemies with eyes are weak to having sand chucked in their eyes
>the goal is to "distract" all enemies on the field, once they are all distracted or otherwise incapacitated, you "win" the fight by escaping
>enemies are more like puzzles than typical rpg enemies, doing straight damage doesn't work, i.e. there's no "nonlethal weapon" that does damage in this sense, but rather you build up points toward distraction in a way that requires consideration of puzzle elements versus just spamming damage
>so for example, a combo of sand in the eyes, plus leading the enemy into a tangled bush, plus wearing a mask that inspires fear in him, turns him "distracted" after it's all added together

>"how is this different than undertale?"
undertale is bullet hell, the mechanics of this are CRPG but instead of swords and shit you have pocket sand or a cape that lets you run away faster, scuba gear that makes you more maneuverable underwater, etc.

>"isn't that just an alternate version of usual CRPG fights?"
ideally not, because like I said the main thrust of the gameplay is figuring out how to deal with enemies with a combination of items, the environment, speed, and knowing your foes etc.

so, is there a game like this? would you play it?

Attached: moly2.jpg (251x201, 11K)

>Anybody who says things that make my butt hurt are underages
I played games like BG on release, but keep pretending they had better writing than modern stuff I guess, when your only argument is calling people underages it only shows who the real manchild is.
>Fallout 1&2 had genuinely good writing
They were chock full of shitty 90's humor and jokes, this is without looking at the rest of the writing.
Also this

So far I've played a LN Dwarf blight druid, and a NE Aasimar monster tactician. The game has plenty of alignment related stuff, so it's worth trying different characters.

>i.e. some menu that spawns items in your inventory. Come on, that ain't the same.
oh come on, that's just pointless busywork.
>You don't seem to remember Ultima 9.
i'm trying to forget

>underworld ascendcy did try
hardly
keep an eye on monomyth though, made by 1 guy part time and looks way better

It also had a wonderful political arc with all the cities, and the motherfucking entirety of New Reno. Its biggest flaw is the retarded Enclave, and its save the world plot at the end, to copy 1 premise and main villains, and to make the game feel important, not insignificant jokes that added variety and you could ignore completelly, you parroting faggot.

>First of all, all romanceable chars are unrepentant sluts, with the optional secret optional psychopath.
Based
>Some are tolerable but none will make you think, "damn, I really want to drink a beer this this guy/gal". Overall I think they are garbage people but you do you.
Sounds kinda perfect for an evil playthrough
>I have played all previous rpgs as chaotic good
Yikes

Can you play a full custom party in Pathfinder?

>Ultima 7 actually reproduced the work steps within the world.
Nobody wants to waste time walking between crafting stations AND opening menus that spawn items, and Ultima 7 singlehandedly brought in a lot of unneeded and cancerous sim garbage that has no place in the genre, together with the shitty attitude of making things more "realistic".

Play "Lost Eden".

Great music.

Reminds me of Trapt, but is it really a cRPG without the story? I need to be sold that this coward librarian can change the world as we know it.

>They were
Another moron with no opibions who parrots the meme. First, only 2 had a lot of references, second, they didn't matter at all, nor they magically transformed a serious game into a comedy.
Play the games you spout bullshit about, you ignorant jackass.

looks like a neat adventure game but are you saying it's similar to this idea in some way?

Nah, people tend to call others underaged when every single line they wrote are wrong and too stupid to even be reasoned with. You are talking in memes you stupid retard. The writing in BG is nothing to fap about but fits the setting and perfectly coherent and serviceable. Torment is great and only a brainlet would use the "pseud" angle. And another big meme is the reddit fallout comparison.
You alone proved that you are the greatest imbecile in this board, which is a feat on its own. So even if you are 25, go and lurk another 5 years. Won't help you but will save us your idiotic coments.

Yes you can, but they are henchmen. Good for combat but no story.

Is there any cRPGs where you can play as an old guy? He won't get a lot of skill points leveling up, but he'd be starting with a lot of points as a veteran. Probably with a few dialogue options about the world's history and events opening up what with you being old as dirt and all.

youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

the story is you are being chased across the desert by evil dudes, it's a small scale thing. you're not saving the world, you're trying to save yourself and maybe your job or some town at best. at least that's what I just pulled out of my ass, since I just came up with this lel

but ultimately my idea is a game where you don't kill people mostly, the story will be important too. for example, there could be a few battles where you do actually have the chance to kill somebody (like you get an old shitty antique rifle with one shot, and the perfect opportunity to use it. or there's a fight on a cliff where you can lead enemies off if you want) and doing this has major story effects

Somewhat. There are dinosaurs.
There's pretty much no fighting in the game. It's all about your choices, about finding things and dealing with threats. Not much in the way of RPG, though. It is a point'n'click adventure game.
But that's what your idea would be, right? A point'n'click adventure with stats?

>Divinity Original Sins
Excellent.

>all others
In to the trash

Yeah but there would still be the greater story and lots of sidequests, right? The only story you would miss out on is character quests and their comments on the quests you're going to do whether they're there or not.

Casual.

You can genuinely get through the whole of Age of Decadence without getting in a fight. You'll talk your way out of things, sneak past threats, use superior technical knowledge to shut down an automaton instead of fighting it. As a grifter you'll just bullshit your way into a position as a fucking praetor and glide through high society.

Well, obviously.

>Underrail
Amazing game, biggest "problem" is that you need to stick with the same build for a long time and you might get bored.
>Age of Decadence
Big disappointment for me. When I looked at skill names like Impersonate, Streetwise, and Lore I was expecting something better than just speech checks.
Also the entire game, while having many paths, is extremely linear. You pick a path from the start ( by already knowing the skills needed to pursue it ) and you stick to it, each playthrough seeing different sides of the story. Not really a crpg like I expected.

So is there any c-rpg you're looking forward to?

The Expedition dlc for Underrail.
Other than that I don't even know if there's any crpg coming out at all

>made by 1 guy part time

I'm over here and I appreciate your shilling in my name.

Handcrafted dungeons and interesting exploration will come to you...

...but only if you reply "Keep developing dungeon dev!" to this post

Attached: rattower.jpg (400x400, 25K)

Waiting for sale.

>You are talking in memes you stupid retard.
Yeah, sure, and you do nothing but saying that and that you like the writing so is good.
>The writing in BG is nothing to fap about but fits the setting and perfectly coherent and serviceable.
Yeah, space giant hamsters and all I guess
>Torment is great
Torment is a massive slog nobody likes to actually play (when you do play and are not reading walls of text) and is only glorified by a bunch of idiots who think Avellone's tripe is anything to write home about.

Also, let me jog your goldfish attention span for a second and return to the original point of the whole argument, which was how modern RPGs have the same writing as the old ones.
>Is there any cRPGs where you can play as an old guy?
Most of the old dungeon crawlers had that kind of age mechanics you want starting from Wizardry games, the further you go from there the rarer they get though, most modern games do not have age related mechanics.

Attached: Thanks Beast.png (1920x1080, 3.25M)

Play the Shadowrun Trilogy. It's dirt cheap. Wasteland2 is my fav so far though.

I don't look forward to anything anymore.

Underrail DLC, Encased, and Colony Ship.

Autistic obsidishitter

Heres an RPG defining idea
>single player/coop, with online connection (bear with me)
>theres a large list of actions, interactions, conditions, graphics and write-in lines
>whenever you use an item and attempt an action/interaction, it gives a pop up message to a lot of players online asking them if a suggested action/interaction is ok, then they vote on it; based on vote statistics it determines attributes of the interaction
>when you say something to an NPC, for example, Fuck you, it will show his stats, state etc to other players and let players write up some responses, then they vote on which response is the best and based on distributions it sets up the response; words are from a "dictionary" and theres an association between responses to set up a response tree
There you go, top tier role playing game to surpass a DnD session.

lol keep crying retard

>choice
>good story
>adventure
I like these things and I think the isometric view is very pleasing. I think I have a copy of first Divinity from an old GOG sale Ill go for that. Thanks, was looking for something to play after finishing the ps2 ace combat games

I love argument about writing on Yea Forums
>everything is shit
>no, x was good
>it's shit you're retarded
>no argument
>picture of "bad writing" because
>kys

You think players are going to stop playing 500 times per minute to answer polls? Also how do you program any overarching consequence of stuff decided on the fly?

I dont know how Divinity keeps getting lumped in with games that have real character building systems while OS has the depth of modern WoW

Overall its quite good, but I think non-combat skills in a lot of games can use improvements

Of those, I enjoyed the Pillars games, Underrail, Shadowrun (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) and Legends of Grimrock 1 and 2

Pathfinder: Kingmaker had good combat, but the story bored me

Keep developing, dungeon dev

>choice
>good story
>adventure
>Divinity

Better off making a RNG choose your consequences.

Sneed developing, dungeon Chuck.

stygian: reign of the old ones
encased
disco elysium
next expeditions game, whatever it is
colony ship

>Why cant we have a debate about the quality of childrens toys that goes into Ciceroian heights
Just dont get into arguments

I wish they had picked one of the story focused Pathfinder Adventure Paths, Kingmaker is a very sandbox one and the story takes the backseat to kingdom management

Stop developing, dungeon dev!

You're putting poor, innocent AAA-company employees out of work.

>Pathfinder: Kingmaker had good combat
I'll never get that

You should see the "arguments" about good writing in Yea Forums if you think it is different anywhere.

how is ATOM?

Boring and clunky

I can see where you're going with impersonate (should've went hand-in-hand with the whole inventory thing), but could you explain the disappointment in streetwise and lore? I remember you can fix a bunch of stuff with lore

what if i have been unable to scratch my post-apocalpyse RPG itch ever since F4 came out?

>games that have real character building systems
Such as?
OS2 had everything you needed, the character tag system was a good idea, although not so well realized, the rest was bog standard RPG character building like you'd see in a lot of other games, but with a lot of unneeded fat cut out, granted that even there they did fuck up a lot of things, but who doesn't?
>but I think non-combat skills in a lot of games can use improvements
Hardly anyone cares about non combat skills, OS had more specific non combat skills and mechanics than OS2, like crafting levels or character personality that changes according to your choices, but was a fucking mess.

I liked it.

the qol part is easy, just let players get 4 choices max per minute in tiny text boxes with a green tick, an X, i dunno and an add more option, all of which affect it differently; overarching effects just do a normal distribution of consequences by stacking up things related to each other (like a family system) and just rolling on that.
this way any old broom could occasionally be used to close a portal combined with a tomato and a magic poker card; if you have enough strength or whatever so creativity is infinte and the game always plays differently. Add a discovery stat that occasonally shows you a random combination and its set.

>Pillars of Eternity
Garbage series
>Divinity Original Sin
I don't like it
>Torment: Tides of Numenara
Garbage
>Tyranny
Garbage
>Wasteland 2
Garbage
>Underrail
Never played
>Shadowrun
Dragonfall is good
>Age of Decadence
Good
Meh
Meh
Ye pretty good
Take old characters
make them shittier and more feminist
vomit
>Legends of Grimrock
no. no no no no

I like creating a character and roleplaying as said character

Give it a shot, i like crpgs in general but i couldnt get far in ATOM. Still i can appreciate the level of detail, the devs clearly gave a shit
Maybe this user can go into detail about the things he liked

Die scum

Nice blog post

Contribute with your thoughts not "durrr me liky" lurk a little more bro

I mean in the end it's all speech checks. You play, hit a speech check, reload, and invest the points to pass it. No roleplay, all metagame.

why

A character system should never have actual 0 value stats for any character ever. OS2 did, it was trash. You dumped everything into one or two stats while wholly neglecting others.

The fat they cut is actual decision making. Once you pick a generalized concept of archetype there isnt further decision making to make for your build. You just tunnelvision that and everything else falls into place

>Hardly anyone cares about non-combat skills
maybe the casual trash that dicksucks larian don't, but part of the fun of ttrpgs (which crpgs are based on) is the ability to make decisions that tackle problems in different ways. Why can't I learn to craft magical items instead of being mercy to premade loot?

>Likes Shadowrun
>Dislikes Grimrock
Actual, legitimate retardation.

its alright but so far they are just trying to emulate/homage the past rather than build towards the future, at least D:OS tried with their combat system but the rest are just poor shadows of the former

think of all the locations and mythos they could do but they all stick with generic fantasy shit

I mean fallout is set in a nuclear waste, thats interesting at the time. Arcanum set in steampunk, that's interesting. Age of Decadence is kind of intersting though

Not him and I haven't played grimrock, but while shadowrun is a pretty shit setting overall I do reach saturation over standard fantasy settings sometimes. I could understand being bored of that world type which makes shadowrun seem better than it is, just because it shakes stuff up

literally no steampunk game can compete with arcanum to this day, it's like other games aren't even trying and the aesthetic comes off as hamfisted when they do it. what went so right

CRPGs are held back by shitty legacy mechanics, especially in combat, that were initially due to hardware limitations, but are now completely pointless and simply used by people who think they are features.

Dice rolls and turn based combat and arbitrary skill checks come from pen and paper RPGs, where all you have is a pen, some paper, and some dice. You can obviously not calculate the trajectory of the arrow you shot accounting for gravity, air resistance, and wind in a pen and paper RPG, so things are simplified with dice rolls for randomness and unpredictability. Do you think P&P players WANT to roll dice? Of course not, they'd much rather be in the game and lose that arrow themselves using their own skills to ensure a hit, but that is not an option. This carried over to early games not only due to computational complexity not always being feasible, but also because the world was simply not simulated enough (e.g. you can't calculate the path of a sword swing in a game like Baldur's Gate since it's not a full fledged 3D world). There is no reason to have this any longer, there is no reason to have shitty dice rolls fuck up a point blank axe chop, or have some asswipe AI crit your dude who was hidden behind a wall with an arrow.

inb4 braindead retards saying that floating point (in)accuracy and other random variables means that everything is always a dice roll so you might as well just solve and entire attack with a single roll.

Attached: 1485362536917.jpg (764x551, 263K)

Even Richard Garriot doesn't attempt to make new Ultima style games. The genre is dead.

Keep developing dungeon dev!

>all rpgs should be action games and simulate realistic fights, menu autism cannot be inherently fun

brainlet take

>likes apples
>dislikes oranges

I actually never played Grimrock. Hahahaha! The egg is on your face now, user!

Wich of these has best tory? (Not expecting Torment, just interesting writing and plot.)

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin

>you can't calculate the trajectory of the arrow in pen and paper
>he doesn't play with exclusively engineers
>Do you think P&P players WANT to roll dice
yes because I do? In fact I hate that I have to play on roll20 because I dont get to roll dice.
>there is no reason to have shitty dice rolls fuck up a point blank axe chop
the fact that taking 10/20 isnt in crpgs isnt a flaw with the dice system, its a flaw with the game
>have some asswipe AI crit your dude who was hidden behind a wall
I don't know what system allows full concealment to be bypassed by crits, Is this some 5e shit?

Anyway youre neglecting how dice is a super flexible system that can modulate probability distributions easily. 1d8 and 2d4 are wildly different, yet at the same time the differences are very easy to comprehend for a player

>Pillars of Eternity
not as good as i hoped, not as bad as some people claim. it's ok.
>Divinity Original Sin
only way i managed to play them was with friends. i like the turn based tactical combat but the world and the story suck ass.
i really tried to like it but i just didn't have any fun.
>Tyranny
about same as pillars. combat felt better for some reason.
>Wasteland 2
i didn't like it at first but it grew on me
>Underrail
hands down the best game on the list
>Shadowrun
dragonfall and hong kong were fine.
>Age of Decadence
i really like it. the amount of c&c is staggering.
it's ok.
it's ok.
playing it right now, fucking love it.
it's just more of the same. and yes, it's possible to just ignore the tranny.
>Legends of Grimrock
first was fine but i couldn't get into 2 for some reason.

Divinity: Original Sin's story is pretty generic, though it has humor. Divinity: Original Sin 2 has an excellent story, however.

Pillars definitely puts the most effort into their story.
Kingmaker is more about making your own story
Divinity is a high-fantasy storybook plot with silly humor. Think Fable.

>"humor"

>they'd much rather be in the game and lose that arrow themselves using their own skills to ensure a hit
But then it would be about you and not the character. What are you on about?

ace attorney crpg when

Actual cRPG autist here:
>Pillars of Eternity
Garbage.
>Divinity Original Sin
First one good, second one amazing.
Garbage.
>Tyranny
Garbage.
>Wasteland 2
Okay.
>Underrail
Amazing.
>Shadowrun
Returns is garbage, Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great.
>Age of Decadence
Okay.
Both great but especially Viking.
Okay, will become better over time I guess.
Garbage.
>Legends of Grimrock
Both okay or even good if you like the genre.

Attached: 1542275042792.jpg (960x720, 94K)

This poster thinks it's cool to tell people he laughs at the murder scenes in horror movies.
Don't be like this poster.

>253 posts
>no beamdog copypasta
I'm disappointed

Geneforge series is good.

Attached: 1548471871136.jpg (1000x1745, 840K)

>crpg autist
>praises divinity
nice larp

>Pillars definitely puts the most effort into their story.
Then I guess it was proof that it doesn't matter how much effort you put into something, if you don't have the TALENT for it then it will only ever be mediocre at best.

I get it. You like your games edgy and grimdark. Thats fine, I generally prefer that also. Divinity: OS2 is a lot darker. Div:OS has some funny moments though. I don't prefer that to a serious story, but its there and its funny.

Thnaks. I 'll go with Pillars than.

>>he doesn't play with exclusively engineers
Not him but my group consists of 3 engineers (one of them being me) and a HEMA autist, but combat crunch is the biggest slog and flow killer, the suspense of the rolling dice is fun, but crunching numbers and rolling said dice 10 times is not (not to mention 10 rolls are significantly less exciting than one or two rolls doing the same thing, but each roll obviously being way more meaningful).

>autist
at least you got that part right

Because I can acknowledge how games evolve and modernize aspects to cater to a new audience without becoming utter shit in the process.

>A character system should never have actual 0 value stats for any character ever.
All character systems do, that's inevitable, otherwise you'll end up with the Gray Master dilemma.
>You dumped everything into one or two stats while wholly neglecting others.
Focusing on a few attributes and abilities does yield better results around the board, as it should, but nobody forbids you from doing an all rounder, especially if you play Lone Wolf, they won't be as effective in certain situations as focused characters, but that's the trade off, you trade unparalleled efficacy in a few fields for elasticity and adaptability in others, it's also a decent challenge if you try really hard to ignore how broken some other things are.
>The fat they cut is actual decision making.
>Once you pick a generalized concept of archetype there isnt further decision making to make for your build
And? How is this bad? Do you seriously want a Mary Sue that can do everything well?
I can also have a 10 INT Barbarian with better persuasion or bartering than a 40INT Scholar if I want to so it's not like there isn't flexibility.
>is the ability to make decisions that tackle problems in different ways.
Then play tabletop, because you won't find any of that in videogames.
>Why can't I learn to craft magical items instead of being mercy to premade loot?
Legitimate complaint, because Larian faggots were too concerned about barring people from "breaking" their already broken mess, luckily mods fix that.
Besides, you could craft more stuff in the first game too, the problem is that it was just as broken as the rest of the game so those geniuses at Larian decided to sweep things under the rug instead of overhauling their mess of a system, like 99% of RPG developers out there.

>Pillars definitely puts the most effort into their story.

Attached: 1545740528635.jpg (721x561, 32K)

I thought Tyranny had a better story than Pillars, desu.

Its worth noting that almost every line of dialogue is voiced in Div:OS enhanced edition. I don't think the other 2 games can say that.

Anyone who's played CRPGs for long enough knows that voiced dialogue is usually unimportant since you read faster than the VA delivers the lines, and you have SO much text to go through in these games.

Divinity lets you cheese any battle you want, so you can make any character viable. If you get stuck on a fight, just explode a death fog barrel, or have a party member lay traps everywhere while you are dialogue.

The voice acting in D:OS is so atrocious it's better to just turn it off, the writing also doesn't help its case, luckily D:OS2 is a lot better in both regards.

>all character systems do
this is literally false. There are plenty of systems where you have a primary stat but other stats still contribute to shit like saves and skill checks. A strength focused character in D&D still benefits from dexterity. Are they going to stack it? Probably not, but having a bit is useful. In Pathfinder if you have shit wisdom, regardless of class, it hurts your Will saving throws. In Divinity there are stats you can and will put ZERO points into and see no repercussions because its a bad system

In other game systems tunnel visioning one stat its a bad idea. In Divinity its optimal. Thats why the game is dogshit and made for basic retards

>just explode a death fog barrel
Death fog isn't readily available and doesn't work on stuff like undeads, everyone knows you just travel around polimorphing your pocket lava field, especially in Act 3.

I have been waiting for a first person dungeon crawler that isn't Grimrock for fucking ages. Keep developing dungeon dev, may your dungeons be deep and sprawling.

OP forgot
Serpent in the Staglands
Age of Decadence
Lords of Xulima
Grimoire

I heard that Tyranny is grimdark SJW bullshit.

Playing through Pathfinder Kingmaker, I like it but definitely feel that Kingdom thing throws a lot of shit at you without you really understanding what's going on. I think it's a decent implementation of Pathfinder into a game.

>There are plenty of systems where you have a primary stat but other stats still contribute to shit like saves and skill checks.
So does Divinity though.
>D&D
It's fucking basic, broken trash, and how is your STR focused D&D barbarian ever going to seriously benefit from things like INT or WIS, you fucking retard?
>Probably not, but having a bit is useful
You mean EXACTLY like Divinity?
It's almost like your Summoner can also subclass into something else to make good use of INT which you wouldn't use for other things, it's almost like your Finesse based rogue can raise his INT to make good use of the pyro hybrid skills like Clear Mind or Flaming Crescendo, let alone things like Teleport.
>In other game systems tunnel visioning one stat its a bad idea.
Patently false, the vast majority of games promote focused builds, that's the way it is.

>Grimdark
It's literally an evil-alignment campaign. The best you can do in a "Good" ending is kind of lawful neutral.
>SJW
idklol

>rreeee female forge master

>isometric
>not first person

Attached: 1536726337555.jpg (800x800, 79K)

Idk someone posted here some bullshit fury Mary Sue companion and it looked like fucking garbage.

I think that's from PoE2, Tyranny is fun though. The plot revolves around two armies under the service of a dark lord conquering a country, and you decide who to align with, usurp, rebel against, etc.

>SJW
Check who the dev is, of course it will have some of that.

The land conquered by the evil emperor was a matriarchy before the war. He is so evil he enforces gender equality on them.

RTwP combat systems need to get fucked. I have no idea why this clunky garbage still exists. It's the worst of both worlds. Fuck this genre for being tarred and fucking nailed to the concept despite it's god-awful shittiness.

I like most of these games, though. Numenara was a bit shit, and Pillars of Eternity was a huge shrugfest, and I didn't play Grimrock or Expeditions, but the rest were pretty good.

>how is your STR focused D&D barbarian ever going to seriously benefit from things like INT or WIS, you fucking retard?
Skill points and will saves are both pretty important user, you might even want to bump int to 13 for combat maneuver feats.
The easier stat to dump on most classes is cha

It was probably that furry bitch from tyranny

No, he probably means the furry companion one with the:
>she smart but not really
>she good but not really
>she loyal but not really
lame bio

My mistake, yeah that's from Tyranny.

I don't recall encountering her.

fuck off turnbased brainlet
Casual scum like you destroys everything

This is a complain't I'll never understand. I get that you might like more turn based, but you just need to push the space bar to accomplish something similar. Or is it because you can't place your fireballs and keep missing moving enemies?

I don't know why the combat system even started to begin with. The table-top games they are based and whose rulesets they use are turn-based.

Try fighting 20 mooks with pure turn based.

>RTwP combat systems need to get fucked. I have no idea why this clunky garbage still exists.
Completely agree.

Back in the AD&D days turns were taken in rounds and simultaneously.

Things have changed recently and become more gamey and turn-based.

I'm coming around on RTwP after hating it for most of my life. If you don't understand the mechanics of the system well, RTwP is a fucking nightmare. If you know what's going on, it is better than turn-based could ever be.

>Pillars of Eternity
Both shit
>Divinity Original Sin
Both boring
Boring
>Tyranny
Shit
>Wasteland 2
Very good
>Underrail
Great
>Shadowrun
Dragonfall very good, other two shit
>Age of Decadence
Good
Good
Better than Viking
Great
Garbage
>Atom RPG
Decent, nearly good

Can someone explain how to play fucking Underrail? I had to sneak through the junkyard because of how strong the enemies were on the way to the armadillo.

>I had to sneak through the junkyard because of how strong the enemies were on the way to the armadillo.
Congrats you're playing Underrail

There is no reason to hate RTwP. Even if you like turn-based, you can just set your pause settings to pause after every round. Then its basically the same thing.

Thats how you play it. Its basically a stealth RPG

>Age of Decadence
based blind user

Been there, done that.

Attached: Cyclops gonna slap your shit.png (1364x768, 1.34M)

No it's fair, even with pausing every half second, there are interrupts, enemies move around, etc. It's a lot more complex than turn based.

Last Remnant was so goddamned cool.
Any other games like it come out recently?

>how is your STR focused barb ever going to benefit from things like int and wis

god damn has this board gone to shit. Youre actually fucking subhuman trash

But you just address those at the next round. Also, enemies effectively kiting is pretty rare. Baldurs Gate almost always just becomes a mosh pit

>Any other games like it
It's a SaGa game, so the answer is always no.

depends on your build.
some sneak, some tank and some set everything on fire.

Enemies kiting is not the issue. I remember AoE attacks being a nightmare (I still avoid them) because you target them on an enemy, the enemy moves faster than you can cast, and then you end up firebombing half your own party.

I would love a game set in the Tolkien-verse if it played just like Baldur's Gate, I dont fucking care.

That's actually my issue with RTwP combat. While in a turn based system you can effectively use positioning, RTwP tends to automatically become a clusterfuck, reducing the strategy to 'click on all your dudes and point at fuckface 1'.

>not a single game from spiderweb software mentioned

I thought some people itt said they liked crpgs

I like Avernum but they aren't really new games.

Someone said Geneforge up earlier ITT

Is Avernum any good?

>disable AI for companions and move them manually like God intended
>use the "fireball will explode in this area" visual cue to place the fireball so it catches all the enemies in front of your tank
>????
>profit
Seriously guys, it is not that fucking difficult.

Yes, kinda.
It's very dated but incredibly comfy.

>release same game over and over almost every year for 25 years
i stopped giving a fuck around 10 years ago

thoughts on aeon of sands?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 178K)

Instead of isometrics all those games should evolve to be like Dragon Age: Origins and NWN.

I think there needs to be both. I'd love an AA studio to try their hand at a new Dragon Age Origins

The PoE style does look really nice, with handmade backgrounds and modeled characters.

>hating on RTwP
But it's more realistic and cinematic!

Pillars of Eternity is the absolute opposite of this, positioning is king.
Some fights where you start after a dialogue and are either surrounded or in front of a bunch of enemies at the start become disproportionately difficult because you can't position yourself.

>evolve

PoE, Tyranny, Shadowrun and BG were the only RPGs in that list that had a world and narrative I could feel invested in.

Attached: bridge.png (1920x1080, 3.12M)

>Tyranny is STILL full price
Greedy fuckers.

>violence bad
Just do a pacifist run in Arcanum.

loved pathfinder kingmaker it got me excited about crpgs again now having a bunch of fun with icewind dale 2

Attached: iwd2.jpg (381x40, 12K)

Looks interesting, thanks this has been a pretty good thread frens.

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones:

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped "Enhanced Edition" on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're "bundled" into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that "adding content isn't changing content XDDD" but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

Attached: beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

Or the fight where the enemies teleport

Based and redpilled

>This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs
such a weird thing to get hung up about when forgotten realms as a setting exists for dungeons and dragons and people can make whatever characters they want. it's not that implausible.

I really want to like Pillars of Eternity, but the game is just so bad. Its probably the most beautiful game I've ever played, but combat is so generic and the story is written like a YA fiction book.

But Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 had been around for 20 years, and never had a gay character.

forgotten realms as a setting has been around a hell of a lot longer and as it exists as a d&d setting, players and dms can put characters of whatever sexuality they want in it.

K? This wasn't a case of someone making a mod with a tranny in it. This was devs going back 2 decades to edit trannies into an existing game.

Love both pillars and both original sin games
Pathfinder is kinda of a letdown

I don't think there's a CRPG that I have actually enjoyed besides Arcanum, the combination of the setting, the sheer amount of options to build and play your character and the ways the world reacts to it is unique, I don't think there's another game that comes quite close to it (maybe VtmB, but that's 3D), I dropped BG 2 halfway through it out of boredom, every new modern CRPG seems to follow the BG formula so I only have touched Pillars for a couple minutes before dropping it as well.

Attached: half-orc.jpg (479x646, 190K)

I enjoyed reading the lore more than playing. The whole "gods are actually just magical constructs meant to keep humanity from descending into hedonism" bent was pretty neat, plus that one sacrificial pool setpiece was unintentionally hilarious. Otherwise yeah, it was very much a dull slog to play through.

>every new modern CRPG seems to follow the BG formula
Unfortunately there's a lot of truth to this, WRPGs in general are really stagnant, it's either a BG clone or Bethesda trash, not to mention BG itself was a poor man's Ultima clone, probably the reason why I mostly stick to dungeon crawlers these days.

Kingmaker is the epitome of SOUL

Kingmaker came out in September, it's almost embarrassing at this point. Was there really so little to talk about in Deadfire

100% agreed, combat in CRPGs is almost always boring even if it is functioning properly and well designed
something like OS2 for example becomes extremely tedious when you're fighting for 30 plus fucking minutes, even if it is technically 'good'

Planescape is the best because it knew CRPG combat is shit, and didn't force it on the player all the time, and when it did it was never challenging anyway so you could deal with it quickly

Neither D:OS game was really a BG clone.

Deadfire's story was like a Tumblr fantasy blog. There was nothing of merit to even discuss.

Neither are the Conquistador games, ATOM (though that's just slavshit Fallout), Wasteland 2, or the Shadowrun games.

Pretty good. Age of Decadence alone makes it worth it.

>Neither D:OS game was really a BG clone.
Mechanically they are much better, but structurally?
Yeah, they do take a lot from BG and the infinity engine games in general.

I guess if you consider party structure and isometric gameplay typical of BG, but general WRPG structure is pretty much the same as it was in Ultima days.

>Age of Decadence
I need to give this another shot. I've tried two playthroughs and keep getting fucked on my character build or my choices

Anyone played Spellforce 3? Can you do the main campaign with a friend?

>CON/CHA-based char
>Valerie
Must've been packing some ballistics under all that armor

It's not just that, the general atmosphere, writing style, music and so on is deliberately designed to emulate those games.
>but general WRPG structure is pretty much the same as it was in Ultima days.
Yeah, I know, which is why I was surprised about OS2 having a clear cut act structure instead of the much more common free roaming model which they also adopted in the first game, it's what puts it above a lot of other modern games for me, despite also having a lot of inherent problems.

I preferred OS1, even with some mechanical flaws, to OS2 just because it had a more open structure and I thought the two-protag co-op gameplay was phenomenal, unlike anything I've played before.

Underrail alone is the best RPG since Fallout 2

OS2 is better if you have a group of 3-4 people to play with
OS1 is better solo
2 player co-op is about as good in either. My friends and I personally prefer OS2 for 2P games but its pretty much just because its newer

I feel like I'm living in bizarro world sometimes because I thought Divinity: OS 2 was a steaming turd, even though I've played every other game on that list and really liked most of them.

I don't understand what people see in it that I'm missing, although I liked OS 1 quite a lot

8 years, huh...

Attached: 12768312876123.png (468x585, 625K)

I can see that. It's far more flawed than OS1. I prefer 2 personally but it's definitely got issues.

Attached: thinking-512.png (512x512, 29K)

Skyrim 2 will revive it.

What did you not like about it. A lot of people don't realize the depth to its quests because the game doesn't spell it out for you. They just accidentally discover a solution to the quest and assume that is how the quest is done, without realizing that it was really just one of many ways to fullfill the quest.

And combat encounters are a lot of fun, with the game constantly throwing new enemies types at you that have unique AI.

Not him but I hated the physical and magical armor system. Feels like you should always specialize fully in one or the other.
Just takes away from the possibilities of using a variety of builds.

Soulless revival.

god do I miss those grimwah shitpost threads

kek

Out of ALL of those games, the only good ones are Pathfinder and Shadowrun.

I enjoyed the Shadowrun games too, love the setting, but I didn't really think of them as CRPGs.

it was ok

>but I didn't really think of them as CRPGs.
What the fuck

is atom rpg good? I'm replaying fallout 2 and would love a modernized version

Attached: 1543714583804.png (154x183, 32K)

Most battles after Fort Joy involve a mix of enemies that have high phys or high mag, but not both. So having a balanced party makes some fights much easier.

finally some good fucking opinions

Ok, you guys sold me. I'm gonna pick one of these up. Underrail or POE?

expeditions conquistador and underrail blow those games away. AoD is also better, but I don't expect Yea Forums to get it.

but really, shadowrun? gross.

Wrong. Exactly because the enemies are a mix stacking one or the other is so powerful. You wipe out the enemies that have stacked the other one in a turn and with a full squad of only one damage dealers you punch through even the biggest stacks without any issues.
Having 2 phys 2 magi characters in a party is the least efficient method of beating the game.

underrail if you are a fan of fallout

morrowind on the xbox was kino

Yesish

Underrail

Underrail if you want to play an actual game with decent writing.
PoE if you're an insomniac and need something to put you to sleep.

AoD is a fucking meme. Sorry.
Any game that has a hint that says "this game isn't like other games" or something like that is absolutely 100% guaranteed to be literal trash.

It isn't like magic users only do magic dmg, and phys users only do physical damage. Plenty of spells and effects need to chip away physical armor, and plenty of melee user skills attack magical armor. It really isn't as big of a deal as you want to make it out to be. Plus the game literally fills your inventory with scrolls and grenades, so everyone has access to whatever damage type is most useful at any time.

Yeah, Rangers and Summoners to a lesser extent can literally do whatever the fuck they want at any given time, I don't know where this one or the other thing came from when you can slap two of those and a mage in any party and dominate every single encounter regardless of defenses.

I dont think you understand.
You can easily play the game with a mixed party.
But its more efficient by a landslide to stack only one type. And that triggers my autism and I cannot enjoy the game.

>autistically obsessed with efficiency
You don't play these games like that, user. You can break all of these games by optimising stats, but that doesn't fit the role-play aspect. Imagine if you were playing tabletop and dropped all ideas of story and role-play in favour of perfectly optimised stats so you could breeze through all encounters. It would be boring and it would break the game.

It's a good idea to start with one-sided characters, i.e. making a completely min-maxed fighter or talker. Later, when you have a better idea on how things work, you can try making hybrid characters.

AoD is great though. Easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

PoE's lack of encounter diversity was awful. It brought on PTSD flashbacks of the Aurulite Temple in ID2 where it was just 3 encounters spammed over and over and over in an overly lengthy hallway complex.
From a certain point of view I appreciated they mechanically did everything they could to NOT reward you to power through a few levels by fireballing orcs. You know that cultist temple to Skaven (whatever the rat god's name was lol) and how you just use the backdoor to bypass over 90% of the temple complex? Yeah. That. Fuck clearing out that temple you get no XP, no gear and no rewards for wasting your time.

Shadowrun is good though, has a nice setting a good story, at least Dragonfall does, much better than generic medieval fantasy #101.

Sometimes I think TES levelling might actually be the best. If you slaughter your way through everything then you gets lots of combat experience and become a more lethal murderer. If you talk or sneak through then you get more experienced at avoiding combat.
Most RPGs allow you to murder everyone in sight, then level up and raise every skill except for actual combat.

Would Underrail run on an absolute toaster thinkpad that I use to work ?

Optimizing stats is not incongruent with roleplaying.

I don't know why people thought IWD2 was a good game at all.

i've never seen it working properly on p&p or video games.
either it goes like silent storm where engineers are completely worthless as game doesn't have enough stuff for them to do so their skills can grow
or like in perihelion where you can just kill everyone except last enemy and then run around and block for few hundred turns maxing their skills in first fucking fight.

You must not have played many RPGs then

It could work with a single character. If you have a party then each approach you take to an issue will gimp all the other characters.

>Removing the originals
This is what really pisses me off. Selling what is essentially a paid mod? Fine, but removing the original because people don't want your shit? That's just scummy. I still haven't touched Baldur's Gate 2 because I'd have to buy it through them.

pretty good

PoE was the game I would like the most instead that game D:OS 2 and I could stand PoE for more than three hours.

It upsets me that the level from that image never got included, it looked so good.

SaGa did it fine after the GB games.

youtube.com/watch?v=yEnP8Kq37XE

God damn, Disco Elysium looks absolutely awesome. Can't wait.

based and dungeonpilled

playing through wasteland 2 currently, I am in LA and my weird group is doing fine, I kinda want to get pathfinder any of these days, looks fun.

Do you guys write biographies for your custom characters ? It's really fun to do it.

Also OP, forgot one of my favorites, a bit of a underrated gem, Serpent in the Staglands

They've fixed most of the bugs, and I've found the enemies perfectly fine in Normal mode. They might get stupid on the higher difficulties though

Pathfinder. I've really, really enjoyed it through 2 playthroughs now. Great characters, good story, fun to play. It's fantastic.

>I still haven't touched Baldur's Gate 2 because I'd have to buy it through them.
Just pirate it, GoG version has no DRM.

My only real problem with Pathfinder is not being able to respec since I'm fairly new to actual DND mechanics and not being able to see prestige class abilities until you are able to put points into them. I'll just chalk that up to actually learning the mechanics though rather than a fault of the game.

>throne room > map

Wait, what, HOW?

I've been playing, and loving, Kingmaker, but I must have missed that. How do you exit to the map from your throne room?

I've just gotten to the House at the Edge of Time on my second playthrough, but still.

I can understand that, I only know DnD from BG2 and Pathfinder is different again, so I had to figure out quite a bit.

For things like prestige classes and feat requirements I just looked up the official pathfinder rules, it seems pretty faithful to that, so it set me right.

Also it's amazed me how insanely strong Arcane Trickster feels, I played one in NWN2 and it felt okay at best. Here they're practically Gods.

1 Rogue
10 AT
9 Wizard

Seems like the best setup. Sacrifice one level for Rogue and then get all the rogue sneak attack abilities for free through AT.

wasteland 3 this year borther

>mfw this is my exact list except I liked PoE

2spooky2me

Attached: sheeeeeet.jpg (500x456, 31K)

everyone thinks i mean undertale when i talk about it.

Deadfire’s turn based mode is such a huge improvement. RtwP is such a meme

The enemies are overstatted in kingmaker but so is everything the party has
>25 point buy
>Ekundayo has a 30 something point buy
>insane items readily available

Is it? I have heard nothing but bad things about Deadfire's turnbased mode

Here's hoping the combat is better than 2's. I was a backer and I kept bringing up Silent Storm's combat on their forum but they just ignored it.

That guy who basically made all the work deserves recognition.

Too bad in all likelihood there won't be a pillars 3 for them to improve on it.

Yeah, that's basically my stance. The enemies are overstatted, but they give you a Rogue with 25 Dex, playing a Paladin right now who's sitting with a comfortable 30 Str and Cha. And it's a CRPG. They know you'll just savescum if things go badly.

About the only thing I'd actually hold against it are the "one superbly attempt only" skill checks. Why can I only try to climb a mountain once? And why can't I take 20 if that's the case?

They basically force you to savescumm, at least with chests you could technically come back later, but damn.

Pillars of Eternity was boring. I was never the biggest fan of Baldur's Gate to begin with.
Divinity is incredible, easily one of the best games of the generation and even the genre.
Torment 2 is not even half as good as Torment 1
Tyranny is the game I found the most fun, in terms of the writing, setting, combat, had a blast with it. That said I played it way after release with all the content, I've heard the original version was shitty and buggy and unfinished.
Wasteland 2 has incredible writing and terrible everything else.
Never played Underrail
Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong were good, not amazing but good.
never even heard of Age of Decadence or the Expeditions series.
Kingsmaker is good but that's more due to custom content and MP than anything.
Didn't play Dragonspear.
And I always hated first person dungeon crawls so I stayed far away from Grimrock.

A lot of the rtwp hate is I suspect from people who’s first rtwp game was Pillars of Eternity. The game is basically an abomination to play with excessive active abilities for every class requiring tedious micromanagement and an overpowered interrupt attack mechanism making moving any class but a fighter when combat starts get instaggibed by interrupt attacks. This combination makes combat way more annoying than it needs to be.

My first crpg was Baldurs Gate and the relative simplicity of the combat works well and is why I genuinely like rtwp. Fighters don’t need any micromanagement and can be scripted to do their jobs and the player only has to worry about characters using potions, selecting targets to hit and occasionally casting spells.

rtwp when done right is very easy to play

>want to make smart character
>max intelligence
>take a drop in physical attributes and charisma
>plan to role-play that way
>encounter first party member
>intelligence is same as yours
>physical stats are higher
>far more charismatic
>his stats are completely superior to yours
>starts with superior weapons
>no option to kick your starting character out of the party and just play as this clearly superior character

I played most of that list. Divinity Original Sin is kinda shit the second one is better but still kinda shit. Pillars of Eternity is also kinda shit. Wasteland 2 Tyranny, Expeditions and Age of Decadence are just pure trash. Kingmaker was a bug ridden unplayable pieace of shit but it's better now I haven't finished it but it's ok so far. Shadowrun is ok-ish I guess.

Good taste user

PoE did indeed do it terribly, especially with the attack speed of different weapons. Using a two-handed weapon was completely pointless. The base damage was higher, but you would never see that realised, as you'd get interrupted before striking. If you did get lucky enough to strike, one miss costs you another 10 seconds.
Meanwhile, mister dick-ass thief dual-wielding daggers is attacking 30 times per second and scoring criticals purely due to laws of averages.

Also, shitty spells that only lasted for 5-10 seconds, making absolutely no difference whatsoever in any fight.

Ratings are a fucking shit way of evaluating things, made even worse because the cancer that is games journalism uses them.
Post what each cRPG revival game did right and wrong instead.

Do you like any games at all?

Doesn't seem like he likes cRPG's at any rate.

>Pillars of Eternity
absolutely fucking terrible, filled with SJW garbage
>Divinity Original Sin
pretty good but didnt realize potential
never heard of it
>Tyranny
amazingly good and criminally underrated
>Wasteland 2
never heard of it
>Underrail
just plain old bad
>Shadowrun
just plain old bad
>Age of Decadence
never heard of it
never heard of it
never heard of it
ruined by THOUSANDS of bugs including oen that makes your load times increase to hours long the longer you play. also filled with SJW garbage
a fucking sacrilege. hundreds of bugs, filled with SJW garbage, changed base content to SJW shit
>Legends of Grimrock
mediocre at best

that that that's done, it seems to me like the biggest limiter for CRPGs is their obsession with shitty camera views. its long past time for isometric to be phased out.

I just said I liked Kingmaker and Shadowrun, specifically shadowrun Dragonfall, the rest of the Shadowrun's aren't that good. Pillars of Eternity was bad story wise it's bad, gameplay wise and overall it's pretty bad. Divinity Original Sin is bad story wise it's just uninteresting to me, the second one was kinda better jsut because the turn based combat was pretty cool but I stopped playing it halfway through.

Wasteland 2 is bad in terms of all things, Age of Decadence is a meme game, Expeditions is a meme game Tyranny is like 3 hours long with shit characters and plot-line that I don't remember or give a fuck about.

I have played lots of them, which is why I know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand most likely don't.

>kingmaker
>social justice

are you talking about Amiri or something?

You called it a piece of shit and said shadowrun was just ok-ish.
Are you okay, user? Do you need to talk?

>Tyranny
>amazingly good and criminally underrated

>Underrail
>just plain old bad

>Shadowrun
>just plain old bad

>Age of Decadence
>never heard of it

>never heard of it

>never heard of it

This pretty much devalues any opinions you hold.

Real time with pause games are shit

amiri, the cucked orc rad-something, octavia being a 'so woke liberated woman', aka a complete whore who fucks everything that moves, valerie, ekon being HILARIOUSLY fucking overpowered with a T H I R T Y point buy, and more.

i could also shit on it for being ridiculously unbalanced for a pathfinder game too. enemies are so retarded overstatted its nuts. i didnt have that much of an issue with it since im an experienced player and always been a bit of a munchkin but i cant imagine someone new to crpgs or pathfinder getting through the game as it is.

oh and the kingdom system is totally shit and very, VERY easy to get into a slow unstoppable spiral into crumbling which leads to instant game over and typically there isn't a save file far enough back to save it.

kingmaker is just not a good game.

I said it was a bug ridden piece of shit which it most definitely was I started it last year I stopped playing because it was unplayable. Then I started again this month. And Shadowrun is ok-ish the first one really isn't that good unless you are a fan of Shadowrun fluff and even then they just throw all the main plot points and characters at you like here's Harlequin isn't that super cool well it's not.

>he actually likes underrail or shadowrun

What the fuck does meme game mean about Age of Decadence?

>ruined by THOUSANDS of bugs including oen that makes your load times increase to hours long the longer you play. also filled with SJW garbage

The SJW stuff is entirely incidental, except for one NPC with like 2 lines of dialogue you'd have to go looking for it, and even then, there's not much.

The bugs are much, much better and the loading has been fixed.

>he doesn't like underrail

Attached: get a load of this guy.jpg (640x496, 125K)

Pillars of Eternity is probably the biggest one out of those and it flopped so hard that Obsidian had to get bailed out by Microsoft. What does that tell you about the state of it?

PoE actually sold pretty well. It was PoE2 that bombed.

>he likes underrail

you're just wrong bro. the game is inundated with SJW shit. take a glance at any female character and you'll see it.

Attached: barely repressed laughter.jpg (480x360, 24K)

It's a meme game. It's like 2 hours long. You play through it with one class and that's it unless you are fucking autistic and replay it with multiple classes to get some additional content. You basically save scum the best dialogue options and skill checks and that's it. The combat is hilariously retarded

Obsidian was finally exposed.

>has yet to say what's wrong with underrail

Attached: oh jew.jpg (215x200, 4K)

Octavia literally rushes to blow your dick as soon as you get back to the trade post, thats a retarded fucking complaint. Shes not a strong woman, shes a cocksleeve that changes masters. Not to mention the tiefling twins are both complete sluts

>crying about monster stats
seeAn "experienced player" would recognize that a 25 point buy and Vivisectionist existing alone trivializes the game with normal stat blocks.

i just cant stand its setting or aesthetic. i also have a grudge against isometric cameras.

Attached: bird with hat.jpg (1280x1280, 98K)

Underrail has remarkably good combat, character building and crafting. Plot-wise it is okay. Quest-design is a bit lacking.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both solid RPGs.

Tyranny is mediocre at best and literally unfinished.

The fact that you missed out on AoD only means that you clearly know shit about the genre.

i do recognize that.
and i have broken the game SEVERAL TIMES with vivisectionist, pure magic, and a memelord dragon disciple unarmed build that ended up being hilariously overpowered.

the problem is that a person new to CRPG or D&D or pathfinder is NOT going to know how to do those things. and whether you or i like it or not, most people these days are not experienced when it comes to pathfinder or d&d in general.

So game is not bad, you just didn't like it.

It does have a lot of SJW shit like all the fucking characters are women there's one black dude one flamboyant faggot and one half Orc who is a cool guy and one goblin and one Dwarf male who is pretty retarded. But you could still make it work if depending on how you choose to role-play it.

>i also have a grudge against isometric cameras.
So then don't pretend to like cRPG's.

Underage and retarded

AoD is turn based. that automatically makes it garbage. the ONLY i repeat ONLY game to EVER win me over that was turn based was divine divinity, and even then it was only because the setting, characters, lore and writing were good enough that i could look past the turn based shit, AND there was functionality to allow for solo-character runs, which is what i typically do.

It's just what people say when they don't know what words mean.

thats why its called an opinion

i can look past isometrics if the game is good enough. underrail isnt.

im 31 yrs old

Wut.

Amiri is perfectly fine, she's a big dumb barbarian woman who dresses like Red Sonjya. Point her to a battle and she's happy. The game makes fun of how simplistic and dumb she is.

Regonogar and Octavia are both presented as being wrong/at fault for their relationship being messed up, as well as their history as slaves. Reg does a lot of things wrong and is way too clingy to a woman who's bad for him.

Octavia is a huge slut and if you romance her the entire point is how childish and inconsiderate she is in how she acts, she's so caught up in "acting free" to get away from her slave mindset that she winds up hurting or alienating the people around her. Dugath pretty much straight up calls her a dumb thott playing stupid games. She's actually a really well done "chaotic" character where her chaotic nature and impulsiveness is portrayed as annoying or stupid, rather than cute. She'll do dumb things and cause trouble for no reason, she'll romanticize about a city of Demon-worshippers if she's told they're "free".

You're meant to see how the chains of slavery are still around both her and Reg and how utterly fucked up they both are.

Valerie is fine, her quest is great, her romance is great, and ther core of her cheater character arc is realising she was wrong. Ekon is no more OP than Noknok, and they're both fine, Tristian is more OP than both.

>doesn't like turn-based
>doesn't like isometric
Don't blame the games when it seems like you don't even like the genre, retard.

I would have enjoyed Shadowrun: Dragonfall more if Blitz wasn't so annoying. He pretty much forces me to play as a Decker or Rigger, because you need someone with a deck, and I don't want to take him along and miss out on one of the Eiger+Dietrich+Glory dream team.

I don't think you are in any position to judge RPGs with shit taste like that. That being said, if you liked DivOS and prefer solo-character games then you should definitely give AoD a try. Don't come crying if it kicks your ass though.

>and one Dwarf male who is pretty retarded

Fuck you, Harrim is based.

>im 31 yrs old
Then kill yourself already, nostalgiafaggot. You've clearly been living under a rock, so it's not like you're doing anything useful with your time

>complains about Kingmaker's load time bug when BG2 suffers from the same issue but a million times worse
lmao

Huh? Tristian is a great character, Harrim is a fantastic character, Jubilost is amazing and Noknok is fun. There's plenty of good male characters and they fit more exclusive niches than the females. Plus, why would I want more dudes anyway?

My party was my MC, Harrim, Amiri, and the there girls I was sleeping with.

>Harrim is based.
This.

Harrim and Nok Nok are the best characters in Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

>amiri
"look at me im a big stronk female who dont need no man muh tribe didnt want women fite but i fite anyway hurrrrrrrr oh yeah i also kind of caused them to be wiped out because i was dumb enough to pick up a giants cursed sword"

> hey don't know what words mean
ok fine It's a piece of shit. Age of Decadence is a piece of shit. It's bad in every conceivable way and it's only liked by the same people who think game of thrones is a good tv show who like muh Grim low fantasy autismo and it's marketed to that crowd of retards it even says so in the Steam description.

first of all it never reached kingmaker levels in bg2, and secondly processing power is strong enough to make bg2 loading practically unnoticeable even at its worst points.

try planescape:torment it has a really fantastic unique world

Attached: The_Planescape_Multiverse_by_zen79.jpg (2365x2850, 1.3M)

A person new to CRPGs and pathfinder can learn from their mistakes. The game is, aside from sneak attack stuff, authentic to pathfinder rules.

Complaining mobs are buffed in a game where players are buffed is retarded period

Much better. I don't agree with your opinion but that is a better way to put it across and I respect your views.

Attached: fair 'nuff.gif (245x145, 1.11M)

>first of all it never reached kingmaker levels in bg2
BG2 and TOB could become almost unplayable because of event lag, and you didn't even have to play that long to suffer from it. "Fifteen years later computers are powerful enough it's not an issue" isn't an excuse.

> great
> fantastic
> amazing
ok there buddy, imo they are all one dimensional and forgettable Nok-Nok and Regnorgar are the only ones that are cool I also like Valerie and the autisitc Dwarf because he does have a personality I liked Linzi until she stole from the treasury and my lawful evil character wasn't even presented with the option to give that little bitch 20 lashes for corruption

Exactly, Amiri is portrayed as a big dumb retard who caused a lot of stupid problems. The first thing Nilak does is call her out for her selfishness.

She's not even portrayed as legendarily strong or anything, she gets in a 1v1 duel with a male barbarian she campfires challenges and gets completely stomped.

Plus, she's a Pathfinder official character isn't she? I assume her background is all canon stuff.

Yes, as far as I know all the stuff in Kingmaker was straight source material

TIer list

Good tier: Grimrock
Reportedly good but I haven't played it: Divinity
Has some cool stuff but is deeply flawed: Tyranny, Torment
I spent 200 hours on this and I still sorta hate it help: Pillars of Eternity
Shit tier: The rest (Probably; haven't touched Underrail)

i actually like dice rolls.. stop projecting retard :D

Attached: 1503877067897.gif (320x454, 1.93M)

I found Tristian's balance between Justice and Mercy really compelling. He's the classic, compassionate white mage character that wants to heal the world - but he's also perfectly prepared to deal justice at the point of a sword and agrees with you executing those you can't help/redeem. Almost all his campfire conversations are great.

Plus, his betrayal and his own pride/weakness/cowardice that brought it about. He assisted in causing countless deaths. It's pretty fun with Kanerah and Kalikke, who hate Serenrae to begin with and spend the rest of the game basically spitting on him.

Jubilost joined my team and I thought he was gonna be a typical insufferable, pompous/arrogant asshole, and he is, but he's a revolutionary at heart. The first thing he did was come and tell me how I should make sure my economic policy looked after the common people in my barony, he keeps his eyesight fucked because it keeps him connected to the everyday Joe, he lets people make a mockery out of him if it helps them fight the bleaching- all his banters and interjections are 10/10, and his personal quest was great fun.

And at the end of it, when he turned down immortality because it couldn't be offered to every other Gnome - when he accepted that he'd Bleach and Die, even though he could have avoided it, man. What a guy.

Legitimately became my favorite character.

Plus that great conversation with Harrim; how the Gnomes have a good setup, they come into the world, live as long as it interests them, and then die when they're bored of it. And Jubilost actually accepts that and likes the viewpoint, that was cool.

maybe they get better. I have only gotten to the part where everyone in Varnhold vanished and I'm running around killing cyclopses

Divinity original sin 1&2 are only thing even close to baldur’s gate 1&2
Everything else is not bad, but not even close

He either believes them to be TBTs or thinks "C" stands for "classic".

>non vancian magic
>good
nope

Vancian magic only works in the context of limited rests. Baldur's Gate and every game of that sort are all fundamentally broken since you can rest at will 99% of the time.

>5 hours late
I'm disappoint

there are just really shitty trap classes for the main character in this game and they are Paladins Fighters Mages Sorcerers etc. Some of them are not fun to play like Fighters, Paladins are pretty shit overall, Mages and Sorc's don't get good until like level 8 and even then they are mostly there for buff's and not DPS which is what you think they would be doing and having two of them in the party is entirely unnecessary since the vancian shit will make you rest every other encounter.

>vancian magic
>good

>party of fighter
>get through a dungeon in a few hour
>party with one mage
>takes 3 weeks and consumes thousands of gold in food and supplies

>My first crpg was Baldurs Gate and the relative simplicity of the combat works well and is why I genuinely like rtwp.
That's because after you get half of your party wiped out in a single round once or twice you realize making porcupine out of enemies is the way to go. Until you get to Durlag's Tower, that is.

>lets you fuck a lizard prostitute
>Doesn't drop a thousand bullshit fantasy phrases on you
>Some of the best turn based combat in an RPG
>The Red Prince's voice actor

I'm in love with DOS 2. Shame I can't get Diine Divinity running on my machine.

Attached: billy.jpg (640x345, 22K)

What was Hong Kong like? I enjoyed Dragonfall but what little I tried of HK was a buggy mess (as a shaman my totem actually vanished completely and was unusuable) The redone hacking was also a mess.

Name one game where this is how it works

I want a Malazan RPG.

Attached: Siege_Of_Pale.jpg (864x432, 66K)

MAgic users are still pretty cool .I settled on the Eldritch Scion as the class for me it's the anime class that get's good if you do the right bloodline and play your cards right with metamagic powering up your level 2 electric Palpatine touch attack and have Octavia and Linzi buff the shit out of me and Reg and we just kill everything and you end up feeling very powerful

>some of the best turn based combat in an RPG
lol

Even PoE2s turn based is better and that game is trash

Maybe not the cost but I did spend about 4 days going through Nalia's keep. Don't know how her useless aunt survived while we were dicking about, napping in the alcove.

Not him but I'm playing Pillars for the first time on hardcore and my rogue an wizard just keep getting smashed whilst my basic bitch fighter tanks everything.

>>lets you fuck a lizard prostitute
>Some dwarven bitches show up to steal my stuff
>Fuck, I've been had
>Bitches think they're hot shit because I don't have any of my equipment on
>Don't know I'm a dickass mage
>Fry them all with closed circuit
>Get back in the tavern
>Fry that asshole who set me up as well
>Get all the money he swindled from the poor fellas who came after me
>nobody bats an eye
>mfw

D:OS2 has a lot of stupid shit but sometimes, some quests just work

Attached: 1549389444058.jpg (226x234, 7K)

>has a nice setting a good story
its a fucking video game, what about the gameplay