I'm trying to find my place in the world of gamedev, but not sure whom I should become...

I'm trying to find my place in the world of gamedev, but not sure whom I should become. I don't know which games I want to create. I know there are game designers, game engine programmers, artists, modelers, well I'm not good at anything, although have some basic skills in programming. I did a Snake clone on OpenGL before but that felt really cumbersome. I also hope to work in a big game company one day. So what I'm asking is your help in choosing my specialty. I'm just not sure in what I'd like to do for the rest of my life (ye, I'm 20 y.o)

Attached: 2b_face.jpg (926x521, 99K)

become the little girl

plz ppl

Why would I do that?

its cute

people say I'm already kinda cute, it's not the point. I want to become meaningful, famous and well-paid dude that big game companies would be happy to hire.

I have no idea, if I had to guess shouldn't you just be trying to make a game on your own (a game with a realistic scale) to test out what you are good at, what you enjoy and what to get better at?

is that even possible in this industry? The only one who comes to mind is Kojima.

>wanting to be famous

Fuckin hell dude get your head screwed on, fame if it comes will be a bi product, if you vhase fame you will end up like Cliffy B or something, don't go down that route you still have time to not be a cunt.

Attached: 1550250147985.jpg (223x251, 6K)

well, that's where the problem is. Should I take an engine that someone already made or make it myself from the scratch? I'm also bound by my skills at other fields: modelling, music composing, etc.

You sound like a pleb with the wrong motivations in life. Prepare to be disappointed sucker

I just feel no sense in this life if I'm not reaching the peak of myself.

yup, it's highly likely I end up at shitty job watching anime and scrolling image boards, but I've got friends which are well-disciplined and they at least are well-paid and can afford anything they want. They are skillfull in some field and that seems really outstanding to me. I have to do something for educating myself in the right way.

I'm not like being really famous, just a dude people know that he knows a lot. A person corps will want to hire for his skills. I'm no Kojima and I don't feel I'll ever be at this level.

My English is quite shitty, so I'm sorry if I'm expressing something wrong.

Isn't building your own engine difficult in the extreme? To the point where if you were to do it you would probably be the kind of person that was already in the process of doing so without asking others for advice on whether it was a good idea. Id stick to an already existing engine.

Developing your own engine doesnt make sense. You can try, but its really hard. If you want to make games only, just download unreal engine/ unity, hop on some tutorials, and just try to make a game. Some simple cube jumping platformer. if you will like it, keep going. If thats something that is a chore to you, try something diffrent. Diffrent game types, diffrent graphics, 3d, 2d, isometric etc. Eventually you will find out if you like it

Sounds sound, I'll do so and also will try to proceed in OpenGL. Eventually I'll end up choosing something. thx

It sounds like you want to be a game developer more than you want to develop games. What do you think the day-to-day job involves? Your image of the job involves all of the perks, the accolades, the interviews, money and fan worship, but none of the daily grind

Ask yourself, why do you want a "big" game company to hire you? They aren't always the most fun places to work and little creative freedom. Is it because the small studios won't bring fame?

You might as well say "I want to be a rich and famous musician but I don't know what instrument to play. Which one would help me get hired by a big famous band?"

If you don't enjoy daily grind that MIGHT result in fame then you're doomed before you even start, because you'll quit the nanosecond your realize the job is boring and doesn't match up with your unrealistic expectations

At least take some classes in programming so that way once you realize the coding is boring you can still get paid a higher salary making banking apps then at a game development company that will wring the life at you because there's always a line of fresh college grads willing to take your spot

coding isn't boring, just hard. It's really entertaining in some way. I'm just a lazy undecisive peace of shit.

Real advice from someone who knows several people who work in the game industry:

You will work shorter hours and make more money taking the technical and programming skills used to make games and applying them to any other industry. The gaming industry has cutthroat competition because lots of people have a romantic idea of working to create the thing they love. There is more labor than there are jobs. That means a lot of people will willingly suck shit and work brutal, hellish overtime for low pay. Employers know this, and they DO take advantage.

Working as a game developer, especially at a big company, sucks ass. You have to be willing to work months and months of hell overtime, endure meddling from corporate higher-ups, and then the shitposting of ungrateful fans. Is that the life you want?

My most real advice is that you should consult with some kind of career counselor (if you're in university) with a genuinely open mind about what all career opportunities are available to you. Fuck, you can make 94,000 dollars a year driving trucks for Wal Mart. Don't pigeonhole yourself in working in games if you don't even know what fucking aspect of game design interests you. You are interested in games, not the process of actually making games.

It just seems that this field would be very interesting for me. If it isn't I'll try something else ofc. But making games is art, it means making whole worlds with characters and story, it's cool af.

Here's what people won't tell you: making art is drudgery. It's years honing craft. It's a job. Like any other. It just has a more romantic final product. When you make your hobby your job, the thing you did for fun is now the stressful obligation that allows you to eat.

indeed. What a cruel world we live in.

Ask yourself this. What are video games to you?

atmosphere, characters, plot

Sounds like you'd be better off working in film, as an artist, as an author, or anything other than a programmer. The things you describe are mostly just set dressing for game mechanics.

well films are not that interactive. They don't need your presence. What I like in games are profound stories you live through.

How open-minded and socially skilled are you? You'll have to find people who can draw/compose and work in a team. It may sound fine for now, but I'm warning you, the gamedev industry is infested with onions and women. At one point you will get tired of dealing with retards and you'll question whether gamedev was the right choice.

t. game dev

Become an idea guy.

Nah, he can fuck off, I'm the ideas guy.

social skills like 3/5
openminded 4/5 I guess, dunno how to measure

You don't seem too bright anyway, so what I warned you about shouldn't be an issue for you.

In my opinion, putting story first usually leads to bad game design, but not everyone agrees. Maybe you should write a visual novel and see how good you are at non-linear storytelling.

actually I've been thinking about it. But at the same time, I don't want to be just visual novel man. Because it's still less interactive.
Undertale, for example, has a nice plot and the gameplay is entertaining too.

>I want to become meaningful, famous and well-paid dude that big game companies would be happy to hire.

Finish grade school first, OP. Holy fuck that was embarassing to read. What a fucking child.

If you have no idea what you want to do or even where to start just quit now, you have no drive to do it, and if you got into it you wouldnt stay there. Its thankless, time consuming and not as lucrative as you would think for how much time you spend on it. If you really wanted to do it you would just do it regardless of the downsides.

If Neil Breen can make a movie you can make a game, the difference being he actually wanted to make movies, shit as they are he had the drive to do it and finish it and didnt have to ask what he wanted to do he just did it. If things like this can exist you can do that thing you always wanted to make, just so long as you fucking do it.

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

Fuck all that shit, I'm making a game no matter what.

You're also not OP

>first thing mentioned is fame
Fame is incidental, how many game developers can you actually name without looking them up and do you actually like them and have made games you liked.

Not OP but I thought I'd try. I agree with you, it's not an especially long list:

Kojimbo
Stephen Molyneux
Todd Howard
Cliffy B
Jade Raymond
Shiggy Miyamoto
Miyazaki
Matsuno
Amano

I could go on for a bit but most people in gamedev are faceless fucks and most people never get to direct a game.

I really like this smooth bait. It's a nice departure from all the hamfisted McDonalds tier bait we usually see.

listen to him
unless you have some corporate bdsm fetish

it was more directed at OP who wants fame and I wanted to see how many he could actually name and how many were actually behind games he liked. Its a foolish endevour to want to make videogames and be famous for it. Just make a game and have people appreciate the thing you made, not have them appreciate YOU.

OP Is a retard and probably a master baitsman besides. I agree with you completely. I'm an author and I use a pen name and have no author's photo in my published works. I don't want focus on me, I want focus on the product.

>20
>Not already making games
>Haven't already made a few little games of your own
>Don't even know what you want to do
Ahahahahahaha, you're never gonna make it.

I really like this reply. It's a cute reply.

>when you make your hobby your job, the thing you did for fun is now the stressful obligation
A very insightful comment, more than it appears. For the same reason, I don't do any kind of professional work in my room, or on my personal computer. My room is for relaxation. If I need to work, I will go somewhere else, but it's a terrible decision to bring all that stress into your inner sanctum.

This.
The closest thing you can do to something like that is becoming a writer, but i'm not even sure how you would get into that.

I'm a writer. It's like anything else. You work your fucking ass off until you're good at the thing you do, then you hunt for someone that will pay you money to do it. There are many paths to success, but even more routes to failure. Writing is really something that is best pursued alongside of a main career rather than as your first vocation. Most authors write many failed books before they 'make it.' Brandon Sanderson is the reigning king of fantasy, but he wrote 12 books before he landed a publishing deal. That's an extreme example, but writing 3-4 before making it is not uncommon.

If you don't already have a "specialty" at 20, you will not be involved in making video games at a big company one day. Sorry.

Are the standards that high for videogames too?

>choosing my specialty
Specialize in sucking dick.

No, there are many entry-level jobs in video games, especially if you're willing to be a programming drone for a big company. The pay is ass compared to pretty much any other kind of programming though.

I'm talking about writing for videogames, not just any job in vidya.

Writers tend to have other skills in vidya as oppose to just being a writer. If you want to write just write a book or screenplay.

Huh, didn't know that.
Guess writing in videogames isn't that important to have someone exclusively dedicated to it.

jesus, you sound like such a faggot. Instead of becoming a game dev you should just kill yourself

Its funny how games with a lead writer whos only job is writing, tends to write pretty badly because unlike someone with other skills in videogames they dont understand how it can be implemented into a game and be told through gameplay, and not just watched like a movie. If you want to make a game to tell a story then just skip the game and tell the story, there are other outlets besides videogames for telling a narrative.

Yeah, I guess you are right.
I'm still not sure how the "telling a story through gameplay" works.