Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that Kingmaker is the best example of the CRPG renaissance?

Now that the dust has settled can we all agree that Kingmaker is the best example of the CRPG renaissance?

Attached: ss_4378cb5c8fff0ed0c1d22c72f2f43976e51bbe90.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 2.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2017/01/PFRPG_SRD.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it actually good though
Do I need autism to enjoy it like Baldurs Gate early game or can I casually play through it for the story

>Is it actually good though
no

you can put it on easy mode

>RTWP
>RTWP with fucking PATHFINDER
It's shit. Its complete and utter shit. Whoever looked at Pathfinder and decided the only thing it was missing was real time combat should be locked in a trunk and fed through a feeding tube. I dont understand how anyone could ever enjoy this.

I won't say that until it gets a toolset to rival NWN's.

>Turns the power fantasy of having your own kingdom into something roughly as fun and entertaining as balancing an excel spreadsheet
It might be the best example because the CRPG renaissance was one fucking huge disappointment.

Attached: 1496850280905.png (429x564, 353K)

I agree, turn basedd would've be better suited and possibly easier to implement.
They probably wanted a separation from DoS while cathering to baldurs gate/obsidian fags.

There is no rennaissance, but Kingmaker is a good game.

I like the amount of autism it requires.
It certainly is the crunchiest of the tabletop-inspired RPGs

It's okay but the kingdom management blows and will fuck you in the long run if you fail any events at the beginning due to poor rolls

*Blocks your path*

Attached: 59127210ae653acced78d695.jpg (323x433, 37K)

What's so good about Underrail? I know it gets a lot of love despite (or because of) the cliff-tier learning curve.

Interesting setting.
Doesn't bog you down with walls of text unless you want to learn more about the world.
Varied combat encounters and quest design.

never played it myself but I'm vaguely familiar with the system. So, if you refrain from scum saving you basically can't rebounce from bad rolls/bad start?
Can't recall if there was an ironman mode, but I was very entertained for a while watching some literal who beating the first stages on the hardest diff on twitch, right after it launched as well.

You might be able to rebound after losing two or three but if it snowballs out of control, you're fucked later in the game when your kingdom is under attack. I made Jhod my divinity advisor and he fucking sucks at it. He failed every single event at the beginning and I didn't realize the ramifications of it until it was too late to recoup.

how's the mod support for this? If there's any.. and if there is, how about the mod scene?

It is certainly one of the best examples of "Choices matter".

Attached: Sweat.jpg (275x183, 8K)

>how's the mod support for this?
Literally nonexistent.

If you like Baldur's Gate in general you will probably like this.

Fuck the kingdom managament RNGfest though. Whoever designed that should be shot.

but possible? or not?
I asked because it's a pretty complex game, from my first impressions at least, so if there were mods available they'd kinda inherently demand some extra talented folks doing them.

Did they ever make it not broken?

Did they remove the thirteen fucking load screens you have to suffer through to get to kingdom management?

apart from cosmetics, maybe lewds and sex; I mean.

The only thing I ever heard was that the devs said they aren't planning to include any kind of toolset.

I haven't made it to kingdom management yet but the load screens are way better than when I last played like 6 months ago.

It's good thing it can be savescummed easily.

You can play as Oracle with a mod.

that's awful though

BG2 is one of my most favorite games of all time and I'd say Kingmaker feels more like a spiritual successor to that game than Pillars of Boredom.

There's some downsides though. Kingdom management if you don't savescum is probably impossible. There are still a lot of bugs and glitches, but the game is playable now as opposed to its state at release. Companions are okayish.

It's great besides the load times. First DLC I've purchased in ages.

This, did they fix most of the bugs at least? I remember you literally couldn't complete the game.

Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes. Here are the major ones

1. The Enhanced Editions are essentially a collection of free mods that had existed for nearly twenty years. Beamdog gathered them all up, slapped Enhanced Edition on it and resold it as a new product. There's very very little in the Enhanced Editions that wasn't already out there, and most of it is stuff you don't want (like obnoxious character outlines).

2. The games didn't sell so well and the originals were still far outselling them, even twenty years after their release, so Beamdog had EVERY digital distributor stop selling the originals and ONLY sell the Enhanced Edition. If you want to buy a digital copy of the originals now, they're bundled into the Enhanced Edition. Now these scumbags can claim sales from people just wanting to buy the originals as their own.

3. The infamous 600+ bugs on launch. The game is still riddled with bugs (as even a perfunctory glance over their forums show) but the fact that it took nearly two years for them to get a game that had been working fine for 20 years to reach playability after launch is telling of their wild incompetence.

4. This is where we get to the ones that really piss people off. Beamdog couldn't just remaster the game, they had to fuck with the content too. New dialogue for existing NPCs like Jaheira, Viconia, Safana, Kivan, et cetera was written in to make the characters more progressive and leftist friendly. Beamdog shills will argue that adding content isn't changing content XDDD but it is when the new content changes the core personalities of the existing characters. This is in addition to adding a slew of their own LGBT (hitherto there were none in Baldur's Gate) NPCs, all flooded with OP attributes and magic items to encourage people to play them despite their cancer.

5. Siege of motherfucking Dragonspear.

Attached: beamniggers.png (661x245, 39K)

>Here's a new western RPG!
Oh boy, I can't wait to see what new and innovati-
>It's another D&D clone
Well fuck

>dumb thot steals all your money
>no choice but to forgive her
I don't know anything else about kingmaker, except its real time, but its enough to know its a dogshit rpg for not letting the player take an obvious course of action.

Summary on the Pathfinder setting/universe? The only setting that I experienced when it comes to PnP RPGs is Forgotten Realms and some D&D snippets.

Well Pathfinder is literally a D&D clone of a system so it's nice the game stays true to that.

I've been in a TTRPG mood recently so it jives well.

Go play ATOM or something.

to be fair, 90's comedy relief, in the form dumb/nagging archetype female chars, were awful. And plentiful.

Lost interest when I learned it's about making a kingdom. Hate base building games.

>Pathfinder

Reddit the RPG

Attached: get the cross.jpg (480x712, 18K)

Almost a carbon copy of d&d 3.5

It wasn't the length as much of the number of them. Even going directly from the campaign to kingdom management you had to go through 4ish loading screens to get back to the campaign map (and run across your castle/city).

Hard to summarize, it has everything from scifi to magical girls.

Just one look at it's cancerous fanbase is enough to tell you about Pathfinder. Only thing worse are 5e apologists

Pathfinder is kind of a spinoff of D&D 3.0-3.5, designed for people who hated the fact that 4e was actually well-designed and didn't let wizards circumvent every problem.

>archetype
It's pretty realistic, wouldn't expect a fag to know much about women though.

Attached: anthony burch relationship professional.png (895x2400, 327K)

Nah, it's garbage. The fact that the game does nto have a large quest hub like a big city for social roleplaying puts it into the category of hack&slash games like Icewind Dale 1-2, not RPGs.

Then can you refer me to any articles, wikis or codex for a beginner? Don't worry about it being too long, I like reading anyway.

>no large quest hub means hack and slash
nigger what

what kind of take is this

Just go to archives of nethys, all the information is there from almost all the books.

d20pfsrd.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2017/01/PFRPG_SRD.pdf

yes and anyone who disagrees is a nurpg fag who ruined the genre by supporting bioware shit and cowadooties with rpg elements.

So I guess diablo is a true cRPG by your definition huh

1 action is 6 seconds. some spells have fucking 18 second casting time. its really fucking slow rtwp.

No it's a strategy game due to the isometric PoV and click-to-move.

Plus you can slow it down further with SHIFT+SPACE which makes it half-time.

Pathfinder is the only RTWP game I've been able to enjoy.

it's kinda like forgotten realms + fun stuff by 6 year olds. there's aliens, robots and dinosaurs.

Is the smilodon pet still hilariously op? I remember the threads when it first came out
"GET SMILODON WIN GAME"

Pets in general are still hilariously OP.

Holy cow! Look like Duke Nukem! HAHAHA

Thanks

While I would love a turn-based Pathfinder game, the sheer frequency of combat in Kingmaker would make that a chore. At least there are QoL options that simulates TBS as close as possible for battles that matter.

Are the loading times a unity engine problem or did the devs just screw up? Even with an SSD they're pretty annoying considering how often you switch between different locations at times.

It's a kitchen sink setting for whatever fantasy you may have. Want zombie ninja fighting robot pirate? Some random piece of lore will justify it. There are some cool ideas though like barbarian tribes inhabiting what amounts to scifi Area 51.

I wish ToEE had sold better. Or at least become a classic in the years since its release. The fights in that one were more enjoyable than anything in BG2 or the various games trying to copy IE products since then.

Yes.

It's still flawed in many regards but it was a good game.

>like barbarian tribes inhabiting what amounts to scifi Area 51
I wish you got to go in that area and see it, experience it

Like the other user said, you can tweak the difficulty to make it ezmode

There are mods actually. I've got one to respec characters for 1000g and another to exit the map from anywhere with a hotkey.

They fixed most of the bugs and the load times are drastically improved. I shelved it at launch for the same reason but its much better now.

RPG developers need to take RTwP combat systems behind the fucking shed and give them both barrels. All these cRPGs are good IN SPITE of the combat mechanics, not because of them.

Either make it real time with AI customisation, or make it turn based. Preferably the latter. RTwP is the worst of both worlds, clunky fucking garbage, and trying to translate actual D&D mechanics into it has never worked well. ESPECIALLY with Pathfinder.

FffffffffffffffffffFFFFFUCK Real Time with Pause.

Needed to get that off my chest.

I'm 99% on board with you but Pathfinder's RTWP is the most playable of any of these.

>it's another "rtwp is bad" autist
Where do you guys even come from?

Replaying pillars of eternity 2 now that it has turn based combat and it's probably the best crpg out there

Too bad no one will ever play it.

First impressions are important.

>opinions and no arguments
git gud, nobody had problems with it in the year 2000, all you are demonstrating is that people really are getting considerably dumber, and blaming everything but themselves.

pretty sure it's a Unity Engine problem. The engine really doesn't seem to handle overly complex games well. Meanwhile a dumb-dumb platformer with no mechanic besides "jump" and "go towards the left side of the screen" is likely to not have much loading needed at all.

>real time with pause
*Vomits

Well made gambit system > RTWP ~ Turn-based

I actually agree, it's extremely flawed and needs a lot of changed but it's one of the only recently games to head in the right direction. If they do a sequel and actually listened to fan feedback I can easily see it being highly praised.

>we have really clean nice meshes
>the lack of variation / detail pass actually helps give the feeling of a board full of minis
>we'd better fuck it up with an insane lighting scheme full of soft shadows, bloom, and a desaturation filter
>oh and the minimal character highlighting is resolved BEFORE the lighting or post effects that way the lighting can get fucked up too
Fucking retarded. It's an easy fix too, hopefully the sweetfx, reshade, or the like will fix it

I just finished the hellknight storyline. What a piece of SHIT quest that was. Railroaded as all hell and it's only like 3 quests.

What the fuck was that

>strategy
>because of nothing to do with strategy

shiggy

Any single character crpg worth trying for a newcomer?
Tried underrail but that was a bit too hardcore.

Attached: 116213276163.jpg (960x731, 152K)

Divinity: OS2 is really good to start with.

>i dun like real time with pause
>why do people who like it exist??
>why doesnt every game cater to my tastes??
Kill yourselves retards

Play Divinity: Original Sin. Its party-based, but uses turn-based tactics for combat.

Tried that too but had two characters.

It is literally the worst possible combat system ever designed.

it's okay but god damn it's a fucking chore to play sometimes
>slow as fuck map movement
>have to keep going back and forth between the capital and the wilderness
I dropped the game because I could'nt find the three keys in the mansion, fuck this

You mean it serious or ironically?

It's okay but you have to actually be a serious RPG nerd to take advantage of it or follow a guide.

Playing a TTRPG and managing the full capabilities and uses of a single character is hard enough. Doing it for an entire party, in real time, is HARD and not inuitive whatsoever. Rounds and timing are extremely tricky to balance as well.

I was enjoying it right up to the kingdom management. Does that last for the rest of the game? I'd prefer bg2 style stronghold management where you can wander off doing quests and comeback whenever you feel like it without any issue having to constantly manage the kingdom seems like a pain.

>underrail
>was a bit too hardcore
>he didn't play on Hard and four round punch to death the fucking abominable mass after hours of punching through swarms of nightmare fuel
shaking my head to be honest with you senpai

>Games is 34GB-ish total
>You can expect to fit roughly 20% or more of that in the RAM of a semi modern PC
>However, even leaving the fucking throne room takes like 5-15 seconds
I dropped it because I couldn't take the loading screens any more.

Set it to automatic. I know, it feels like baby mode, but the difficulty settings in this game aren't meant to to be "Journalist Mode / Every Else", it's there for this exact sort of thing.

also there's like 3 loading screens for going outside the city

Try Age of Decadence

Pillars' problems had very little to do with the combat. The story was horribly written, and you can't do that in a CRPG.

Hmm Forgot that was an option. Might try that.

They did "choice matters" decently with the ending slides.
>tfw got overthrown cause you are too nice to the plebs

AoD is arguably harder, but there's less focus on combat.

Tyranny is another good one, nice and short.
Divinity: OS is the game that felt the freshest and most accessible to new players though. Having two protags might be off-putting at first but it's not that significant. In OS2 the game even kinda rewards you for just picking the prebuilt story-focused characters.

Actually yeah, what am I talking about. Age of Decadence would be horrible for a newcomer.

>get to the final dungeon
>fucking EVERYTHING has an aoe Paralyzes that does a will save every round
>also has an aoe confuse at the same time

fuck me freedom of movement is vital for that fucking shit, god that place was a chore

You should be drowning in FoM by that point in the game.

Do wish the game had a Wand of Meta-Prepa though.

>Is it actually good though
>Do I need autism to enjoy it (..) or can I casually play through it for the story
>an RPG is good when you can just play through it for the story
>storyfags
>the state of Yea Forums