Disappointing Games

What was the most disappointing game for you?

Attached: spoer.jpg (600x600, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

designer-notes.com/?p=654
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87123-The-Man-Who-Made-Spore-Suckier
forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/8555.page
youtube.com/watch?v=q3OG6tv-5II
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kirby Super Star probably

Zelda: BOTW.
Pretty underwhelming after playing The Witcher 3.

>mfw playing this game 3 weeks before it came out overseas
>mfw watching that trailer every day before finally playing
>huge ass monsters, a desert full of ruins possibly from the earlier games, overall crazy trailer compared to past games really portraying that the series will go out with a bang
>expecting an odyssey tier journey of epic proportions, massive areas composed of many paths to take
>get a wood village, swamp, skeleton tunnel, tiny linear city, and a hallway prison
>keep thinking it will get better, since even my spoiler thirsty mind can't feed due to only like 300 people playing the game
>it never got better
>series ends after crawling through some shitty castle and fighting in a red pit of flowers
>mfw never got to travel through that giant desert of ruins that was shown in literally all promo material

Attached: 1547031826415.jpg (800x450, 74K)

Jump force by far. Man I’m retarded.

KH3, enjoyed it but found it really disappointing

>mfw never got to travel through that giant desert of ruins that was shown in literally all promo material
cuz thats in the dlc bro

I was coming down off a budokai high and needed more dbz. I remembered staying up all night playing 2 and 3 with my cousin, unlocking everything, those insane but crazy good and even matches. We really were the best I knew of at those games. We’d go to the video cafe down the street and wreck everybody. Some of the best times of my life.

And then this shit stain comes out.

Attached: 3705525D-BC59-479D-9D1B-DAC74D527F69.jpg (369x500, 47K)

Is it really that bad? I mean I was only really interested for DBZ and Bleach. Is it worth a torrent at least?

It's been over a decade but I will still never not be mad about this.

Nier Automata

Great start stage and then the game immediately turns into open world shit.

I will never forgive them

Attached: d5ykg5w-6c82f858-ed59-4d23-aa50-0f5d19ba6879.jpg (700x500, 25K)

the strangest part is it wasn't even EA's fault, just internal shit at maxis

designer-notes.com/?p=654
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87123-The-Man-Who-Made-Spore-Suckier
forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/8555.page

Honestly Starbound was one of the biggest disappointments for me. It's a prime example of good idea in a bad game just like spore. I just wish they had actually been competent in making their own game.

still hurts after all these years

gothic 3

Man what really bummed me out about spore was the creature stage. I was hoping for an actual ecosystem where different animals would fill a niche like an apex predator or a scavenger and you’d either fill a niche or evolve to sentience but all we got was dancing faggots and clearing out nests of ugly looking shit you’d never see again.

Then the civ level was totally shallow. It was fun making buildings and combat ground vehicles but all vehicles were a tank regardless what weapons you put on them and all planes were laser planes and all boats were just tanks on water.

So so much potential for this kind of game but we will never see it happen not in this age.

I can’t believe how utter shit that game turned out to be. I really love the aesthetic and customizing the inside of your ship but they somehow made what should have been an easy win a disaster.

Brink

Lmao more like stink

What did you think brink was going to be?

I thought it would be like bio shock then it turned out to be a shitty mp shooter

I never really had high hopes for botw but I was expecting it to be sort of decent at least, what a fucking awful game it turned out to be

The Last Guardian most recently

Spore got released in October and Fallout 3 like two weeks later. The double whammy of disappoint killed any possible hope of getting hyped for a game..

Why though? With the unofficial patch it was pretty solid?

APB

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 111K)

Jesus I remember the hype around Spore. I was so sad you couldnt make asymetrical aliens.
I was also shit at the game and had to cheat to get to the space stage.

For me personally, Total War Rome 2.
For the gaming industry as a whole, it's hard to top Spore. I'm glad I never bought it but I was around when everyone including myself was looking forward to it.

How come nobody's put out a mod that attempts to make the game closer to the prerelease footage and presentations?

>Spore
Never forget

I'm pretty open-minded and try to keep my expectations low, but this fucking broke me

I've had buyer's remores over plenty of games before but most of them were because they were games that I just never got around to playing, or by the time I did, they had been heavily discounted. That or they were fine games but just didn't gel with me. Spore was different though. Spore was the only one that I had actually been disappointed with. It wasn't a terrible game but it was missing more than half of what we had been promised. It stung all the more when these weren't just promises on paper. These had been things that were demonstrated to us with actual live gameplay. These features fucking EXISTED before and were stripped out before release. We never even got an indication that it was going to happen either because we never got another demonstration after that to show us what we were actually getting. I have literally never been so let down by a video game before in my life, before or after. Not even ME3 or MGSV because at least we knew what was coming beforehand because plenty of info came out pre-release to warn us. Spore was a bait and switch out of left field and I wish I never bought or played it.

I trusted them guys.
I really, honestly trusted them.

Attached: file.png (616x353, 398K)

swtor
shadowrun returns
aliens vs predator
dayz standalone
battlefield 3/4/5/1/bc/bc2

Same here. Finishing it felt like work, holy shit.

Master of Orion 3, as a fan of the first two 3 made me want to neck myself when it came out. It's so bad I really acknowledge it's existence.

I didn't hate my time with it but I really don't intend to play it ever again. That game epitomizes "movie game".

Agony.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3OG6tv-5II

pain and sorrow

I think the disappointment of TLG is largely due to how long it took to finally come out. It gave fans far too much time to allow their imaginations and expectations run wild. The thing people forget is that during all of that time, very little development was even happening and it was largely the same game it was when it first got shelved after being 90% done. Most of that time was inter-office politics while the game sat there, waiting to be finished. It's the same game we would have gotten 10 years ago if it actually came out when it was originally supposed to. Had it released when it was originally intended to, nobody would have been disappointed because they would have still known exactly what to expect from team ICO: an artistically profound game with jank mechanics and controls but an experience that still made up for the shortcomings. Those 10 years of waiting put ideas in peoples heads that stuck team ICO on a pedestal, causing people to forget what team ICO was, an overly ambitious small budget team with only 2 games to their name at the time. Their games had never been perfect and even ICO and SotC could be just as frustrating at times due to technical flaws. TLG was never going to be any different but all of that time and anticipation made people forget that and warped their expectations.

Also why HL3 will never ever be released by now. Speaking of, I guess ep 2 qualifies for this thread in retrospect.

>Also why HL3 will never ever be released by now.
GabeN has actually gone on record stating exactly that. At this point, he literally has no plans to because fan expectations are so high that they cannot be met. It's not worth the effort or resources for something that is inevitably going to be panned for not being the masterpiece fans cooked up in their heads.

skyrim

>play morrowind,
>wow this alien world is so well thought out, hunting for treasure is really fun, there is so many different spells to play around with!

>play oblivion
>hey its just like earth, thats... nice
>level scaling is horrible, even the items are level scaled wtf this sucks everyting is proceduraly generated
>hopefully skyrim is better
>guilds are decent though

>play skyrim
>hey the level scaling is a bit better, and more items. still sucks though
>wtf no stats
>wtf worst magic system out of the three games
>wtf worst guilds

Black and White
Fuck you molymeme.

Zero Time Dilemma
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Final Fantasy XV (it was so bad that I didn't even want to play it)
All the Disgaea games after 1.

I played only Skyrim and Morrowind in that order, I got the ideal ES experience.

Starbound. Terraria is in my top 3 games of all time and I was super hype following the starbound dev process, pre ordered the first day it was available. I've heard its slightly better now but it didn't capture any of what made terraria great.

Disappointing in a very different way, but cubeworld. So much potential that it will never deliver on because the dev abandoned it.

Would have been a good game had they not butchered the customization from the first game. GunZ weight system was really good, not that K-styling fucks would know.

Attached: GunZ2_668x227.jpg (668x227, 44K)

>Spore
Saw the writing on the wall but it was a real fall from grace

>DA:2
I loved DA:O and DA2 was one of the worst games I ever played in recent memory. One of the few I put down rather than finish for how bad it was.

>Wildstar
I loved the game and it was one of the most fun MMOs to do PVE content in so my disappointment is with how it died and the retarded attunement process rather than the fundamental of the game itself.

>NWN2
Requiring you to download a module before release (not from the server, but rather from some hosting site) killed the NWN2 scene compared to NWN1. It was too early because with steam workshop it'd be fine - you'd auto download the module from the steam workshop before loading the game.

>MGS5
It was more of a spinoff than a proper MGS. Not bad but forgettable and felt little like a metal gear game.

DA2 was the worst disappointment. Imagine if you had Mass Effect die on ME2, rather than ME3. And that it wasn't a horrible ending but just plain terrible everything.

Mass Effect 3. I will never not be mad.

>Come for the teamwork, leave because of the horrible balance, mechanics being made easier so you don't have to practice them to become good with them and the focuse on the league instead of the actual game policy.

Attached: Quality.png (278x446, 188K)

Mafia III
II already pretty disappointing compared to the first one but man the third one is just fucking dogshit

Definitely Sonic Lost World, since I'm just a Classicfag. I was expecting a proper return to Classic Sonic gameplay in 3D and no more of shitty boost and wisp gimmicks. But instead what I got was a Sonic game that's literally the most slowest and chunkiest Sonic game in it's existence, and it was a shitty attempt at a "Mario" game instead of actually being a Sonic game. And with shitty uninspired uncreative zones that you would find out of a mainline 2D Mario game. I fucking hated that they literally brought out Wisps again for this game, which they should've stayed in just one fucking game.

Attached: 1547079664760.jpg (436x536, 51K)

Master of Orion III. Took one of the best 4x games of all time and abandoned literally everything good about it.

Turning diablo in to a phone game, I don't even need to play it to tell you how heart breaking it is to have one of your favorite pc titles get turned into a phone exclusive game.

Attached: 1549869601354.jpg (700x393, 20K)

What boggles the mind is that there is a market for many of these games to be remade yet no dev will ever touch them again like it was the fans' fault that they wanted Game A 2.0 and got Game Retard instead

i first heard about this game from a game guide in barnes and noble when i was around 10, maybe 12
dunno about anyone else but i was excited from the get-go and the game didn't disappoint, at least from its creators
i still think its a really cute game that'd be interesting for character designers to fool around with

Fuck swtor this is a fucking bitch game
I bhought it and then it went pay to play later
When logging in "hurrdurr" pay to use half the good items
Even tho i already had that shit equipped and had paid an exorbitant ammount to buy the game those jew fucks deserve the rope

>most youthful naivety crushed award
Spore
>most hours invested in ultimate disappointment award
The Mass Effect trilogy
>most recent delusion award
Dark Souls 3
>most fond memories of game now raped award
EA: Star Wars Battlefront

Rust, by far. It's impossible for me to have fun with the game without having a big group playing it with me. Rust seems to be a game entirely for people who only play Rust. What went so wrong?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 55K)

oh, I forgot
>failure to launch award
Bannerlord

Attached: DarkSouls.jpg (1920x1200, 493K)

Hotline Miami 2 for me. Hotline Miami 1 is the perfect game to me, an absolute masterpiece, where to my taste everything is perfect. All they had to do for Hotline Miami 2 was new levels, maybe new masks and new weapons, basically same gist, same fundamental gameplay, just with new content. Instead, they fucked everything up. And I bought Hotline Miami 2 in Steam too, and after that I promised to myself I will never do that again. I will never believe in game makers, and I will always doubt creators, even those who managed to make masterpieces in past. Now that I look at it, it was obvious, how can a human create something extremely good or at least not shit TWO times in a row? That happens, but is very rare, and not in this case.

Hard to mod anything in it

Molyneux said you could carve your name on a tree and it would be still there years later.

Attached: 51SGSEAEHKL.jpg (346x500, 42K)

It's like if you were massive into Marvel movies - they've just acquired rights to deadpool and the fantastic four, half the characters are now dead and those left trying to figure out how to proceed, you've got the new captain marvel movie coming out, so Phase 4 is chugging along as expected, every film scratches that Marvel itch, all great action and Joss Whedon one-liners, and then the last one is another Fantastic Four reboot, directed by Michael Bay. Okay, you're thinking maybe that's a weird choice of director. The fight scenes are zoomed right in and filled with motion blur so you can't tell what's going on, the plot implying Dr Doom is a communist is both nonsensical and outdated, and the joke referencing how Chris Evans was the original Human Torch is really just stilted and awkward, but it is still basically a Marvel movie in the end. And then in the post credits stinger, the Silver Surfer comes down from space and tells everybody: "Galactus is coming!" This motherfucker's gonna eat planet Earth, he'll be the biggest, baddest threat yet! Can the avengers team up to stop him in time? And you're just fucking hyped, you watch all the trailers, sitting there waiting for Avengers 4 to come out...
And then finally it's released, and you go to the cinema, sit down with your popcorn and your pepsi and wait to be blown away, and what actually happens is that Rocket flies in on a jetbike and announces that the Guardians of the Galaxy have found some new recruits... it's Maroon 5! And it turns out the whole movie is just a Maroon 5 music video. There's a ruined city, cameos from the other marvel characters, crappy CGI Galactus in the background stomping on shit, and at the end lightning shoots out of the head of a guitar and makes him explode. The lights go up, everyone starts piling out the door, you're still sitting there with your drink.
And Kevin Feige calls you entitled for wanting something more.

The thing that got me was they gave you all these options and none of them did a fucking thing. You can be fat or built! Beautiful or scary! Good or Evil! none of it makes any difference. How the fuck it got sequels, I'll never know. Mediocre at best in every way.