Just finished this. Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming?

Just finished this. Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming?

What tops this?

Also, what is in Filianore's egg?

Attached: ringedcity.jpg (500x713, 92K)

meh

By far my favourite dlc and game in the series. That gael theme is pretty fucking kino

the egg is a reference to an old japanese animated film about a girl and an egg

ok dlc, the first part is a total waste of time. should have just started at the ringed city and made it better

What does it mean?

I disagree. The painting that spans thousands of years as working magic and is restored continuously with adjustments is a unique idea.

Dark Souls is untouchable when it comes to lore.

i meant the earthen peak ruins, not AoA, which is an awful dlc. btw there is nothing in the egg. it just represents something that can be broken but never fixed

The egg clearly has something in it.

Why didn't you like AoA?

except for the absolute disaster of dark souls 3 "lore" and its hackneyed references to the first game

>Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming?
>What tops this?
lol even Warhammer and Warcraft have better lore. DS lore is too fragmented to be much else aside from speculation

Explain.

>Warcraft

>one area
>two bosses(one completely optional)
>two knights constitute 80% of the enemies, wolves and flies are the other 20%

>Just finished this. Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming?
Unironically, yes. It's got it all.

Warhammer has vidya but it's a tabletop game first and foremost. Warcraft lore stopped being good a long time ago.

I guess for the amount they charge it's not worth it. But I actually think that the simplicity of Ashes of Ariandel is what makes it intriguing. It's one of the simpler encounters of the world from the Dark Souls universe and has a lot of nostalgia tied to it.

I think if anything it's frustrating how little of lore is offered from it. At least The Ringed City builds on it.

He's right. Warcraft has lore and a good story. It's a more complete and interesting world, because it isn't deliberately obscure in an attempt to be "deep."

Dark Souls has lore which is like a pool of stagnant water. It's too dark to see the bottom, but it's just the size of a pond, so you can easily tell that it's also as shallow as a pond.

do i have to explain how you cant take 5 steps in das3 without a das reference being shoved in your face. you even return to anor londo for one of the most egregious moments in video game history

The egg represents the ringed city, the illusion kept the city (and the egg) intact, once it cracks, it can never be fixed.

Are you too dumb to realize that DaS3 takes place in Lodran a few ages after the events of DaS1?

The egg was already broken before you touch it.

Yeah it's a great series. Modern epics in vidya form.

The illusion was about to break, barely anyone alive in the ringed city. The illusion was hanging by a thread.

>a few ages
dark souls 2 takes place EONS(literally) after dark souls 1, so long infact that basically everything had been lost to myth. nobody was even sure that gywn had really existed. then suddenly in dark souls 3(where apparently all of the lands converge for some reason) everyone remembers this stuff again, oh and somehow anor londo survived, and gywndolin was only recently killed, and kaathe is remembered by name

>Warcraft has lore and a good story.

Attached: 1548103435975.jpg (744x752, 72K)

But if the illusion is broken, does it have anything to do with time travel? Gael seems surprised to see you.

it was decent up until cataclysm, even wrath was getting dumb

The final battle takes place in current time, everything before it, from the moment you left the dreg heap to the moment you touch the egg is an illusion, a simulation of the past

what illusion are you talking about, filianores sleeping was tied to keeping the dark away. the breaking egg is merely representative that it could never be kept away forever, analogous to the first flame inevitably fading.

Elder Scrolls lore is superior, simply because it's not so obscure
I would say the actual tangible and visual portrayls of the lore are much better in Souls though
you never really get to see figures from the stories in ES, just read about them nor is there any landmarks you can come across like Anor Lando

Filianore was keeping that place in “stasis” by sleeping, but even her sleep wasn’t able to completely hold back the decay that happens to all living things, to flames etc, the decay was more powerful than her illusion and was slowly cracking the hollow egg, which represented the integrity of the Ringed City. When you touched the egg, you broke the illusion and the world kept in stasis quickly aged, as it should have, throughout the ages, if not for the illusion. It’s appearance turned into what it should look like in the present, as part of the dreg heap.

good lore, but the games plots are just the most basic shit they could churn out

i've played every souls game outside of DS and i dont think i cared about the lore once. i mean, patches and the knights of caterina are the only things i really cared about. i dont need a story to be spoonfed to me but im also not going to attempt to understand the story if they dont attempt to deliver the story. for me the gameplay is what matters most in the souls games. if anything i liked BB's story the most but even then i barely cared about it

Ringed city is garbage because they pushed the "le hard game" meme too much. Every mob has a ton of hp and deals a fuckload of damage, it doesn't fit the game. It feels like you get dropped into ng+2. Only good thing to come from it is the final bossfight.

>le elves and le evil gods

get the fuck out, Elder Scrolls lore is generic as fuck.

i disagree, not only is it the final area of the entire franchise but you have endgame stats, gear, and tactics. its not that hard

It’s not hard, it just requires getting good

>DUDE there's no plot holes, time is convoluted bro

Your response?

Attached: SeinfeldSMALL.jpg (802x1001, 107K)

I don't really get why they retconned in another Gwyn kid. I feel like it would've made more sense for Gwyn's wife to be involved instead.

There aren’t non-deliberate plot holes because of the way the game is structured and the way lore is passed on to players. It was deliberately done so that you couldn’t have access to all the info, in order for you to piece together a story that makes more sense to you with the pieces at hand.

>"whatever fag"
>keep playing

3 is literally the worst game

>It’s appearance turned into what it should look like in the present, as part of the dreg heap.
It's definitely what it was going for, but it doesn't make sense because Lothric Castle is intact in the Gael arena.
Time is convoluted only became a story factor in Dark Souls III. And, while this isn't necessarily a plot hole, what the FUCK happened to Aldia and Bearer of the Curse? Those guys were the shit.

time is convoluted in dark souls 2 because nobody can remember how much time has passed. the major theme of the game is obscurity, emerald herald mentions it right at the start that one day you’ll stand before drangleic castle and not know why. whether or not you like that or if From handled it very well doesn’t detract from its intentions

>retconned

Gwyn is Zeus, what makes you think we even know how many legitimate and illegitimate sons and daughters he has?

Fuck off to whatever dead garbage you're playing then.

Dark Souls II definitely handled the theme well. Other things like enemy placements ehh
Yorshka isn't Gwyn's kid. She's Priscilla's. I don't have the sources on-hand, but it's implied Gwyndolin found Yorshka in the Painted World and then essentially brainwashed her with al the stuff about Gwyn.

Time is convoluted is literally a line in Dark Souls 1 and is often brought up in DaS 2. My explanation is that in the distance some structures echo what they looked like in the past, cause that place already defies gravity and time.

>where is Aldia and Bearer of the Curse
Deliberately not told, they either failed to find an alternative or did and got out of that land.

bearer of the chad is probably sitting somewhere with his crowns waiting for the heat death of the universe to try and kill him. he has no reason to involve himself in linking the fire, hes way, way beyond that

The lore would actually make a ton of sense of ds2 was the last one.

>because its not so obscure
Elder scrolls lore is super fucking obscure. None of the good lore shit actually appears in the main part of the game, you have to dig for it. If you ask a normie who played through say, skyrim or oblivion about the lore, they would only be able to tell you the most general mundane stuff.

>Time is convoluted is literally a line in Dark Souls 1
Yes, used to explain multiplayer and nothing more.
>and is often brought up in DaS 2
What's brought up is the idea of cyclical existence with kingdoms rising and falling, not that time is convoluted.

I meant Filianore. I do think Yorshka's probably not Gwyn's kid, though.

What part of the lore explains going up on an elevator behind a windmill and into a volcano.

Desu I've recently thought it's best to consider both DSII and III as "what ifs" to Dark Souls 1. They both have valid ideas, but are in conflict when you take them sequentially i.e. Aldia and BotC being absent, Carim still existing, other snippets.

the multiplayer is canon in-universe though

2 is the worst. Downgraded graphics and shit lore.

miyazaki half developing a game, quitting the project, and bamco forcing someone else to pick up the scraps. iirc there was supposed to be a path from earthen peak into the mountains and the elevator is there

hollow knight shits all over it

>DS2

Nothing can explain that garbage.

>shit lore
lol grow up

Right, but it doesn't start affecting plot until DSIII, where time being convoluted is actually pulling lands together.
Miyazaki was removed from DSII's director's chair by Bamco before production began. There's an old Edgeonline interview that substantiates this.

Literally this

Attached: 1542807533423-v.jpg (289x192, 8K)

>shit lore
DSII has a really good story and good lore. It's colored, as evidenced by your post, by questionable gameplay and level design

Dark Souls 2 apologists are always asspained.

that doesnt mean he had nothing to do with the concepts and overall design of the game before he was removed

The egg means nothing because Angel's Egg was about nothing, just what you interpreted from it.

If you look at the concepts it's clear that the were riding the coat tails of DaS1 success and that they had no clue what to do without his guidance. His involvement was so insignificant.

Aldia is the first scholar who convinced prince Lothric not to rekindle the flame.

At the entrance to the library in DS3 you can see statues of kaathe and a hidden figure covered in roots. The entrance to to the library is also covered in roots which in my opinion is heavily hinting at Aldia.

I don’t understand why people think that Pontiff is the scholar and not Aldia.

Attached: 0E667629-D3FF-4BE8-BDF4-A66855FBE635.jpg (300x250, 23K)

This is speculative paranoia and not worthy of discussion when Tanimura has gone on record to state his and Shibuya's team had ideas Bamco wasn't fond of, forcing them to cut down.

Also there is a spell you can find inside the library that is found within Aldia’s manor in Dark Souls 2

>I don’t understand why people think that Pontiff is the scholar and not Aldia.
Because Pontiff was originally the final boss + there's a statue of Prince Lothric with the Profaned Greatsword in the area where you first fight a fat knight.

>hidden figure covered in roots

I don’t remember that, time to replay the game

I don’t doubt that pontiff had his hand in things, but I think my two comments above more than suggest it is Aldia.

Attached: 26B5FC95-519E-4CC7-BD87-82881FB80DF6.png (1920x1080, 3.11M)

>not recognizing that both DS2 and DS3 were cash ins done after the surprise success of DS1
DS1>DS2>DS3

It was fucking trash because the devs had no idea where to go, they even forget about the dark soul until the last DLC and even then it's a literal who that kills some literal whos and apparently acquires it, fucking pathetic, the only good dark souls if the first one.

ladies and gentlemen
top tier darksouls storytelling

This
TES lore is HIDDEN, yes, but not obscure/ cryptic like Souls. You can understand all the TES lore so far if you look for it, and get it fed to you in the wikis and community sites, while the only way to really know Souls lore is being Miyazaki himself, and the only thing the fans can spout to you is theories, which is the choice for brainlet pseudointelectuals who want to masturbate their egos through said theories, instead of enjoying a well written setting.

DS1>DS3>>>>>DS2

That's wax

Attached: Angels.jpg (3510x2686, 2.31M)

It kinda feels it should be played around then (around sl140-50) with the +3 versions of rings and everything.

I wonder what the shit Frampt having wings was all about.

>Just finished this. Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming?
One of them, yea.
>What tops this?
The entirety of bloodborne, pic also related
>Also, what is in Filianore's egg?
Hopes and dreams turned to ash and dust

Attached: 9e7bea2a326ac0f5db5981025d4e2c88.jpg (2480x3508, 731K)

The egg was a portal to where the Gods locked up the Pygmy Kings and the Dark Soul

Basically just a seal

Demon's 8/10
BloodBorne 7/10
Dark1 6/10
Dark2 5/10
Dark3 4/10
This is the objective truth.

Attached: integrity.jpg (478x478, 69K)

Soul Stream found within the grand archives:

>Sorcery imparted by the first of the Scholars, when Lothric and the Grand Archives were but young.

Fires a torrential volley of souls.

The first of the Scholars doubted the linking of the fire, and was alleged to be a private mentor to the Royal Prince.

Soul Geyser found within Aldia’s keep with an almost identical image:

>
"A secret art unleashes a gush of souls.
The homing soul mass pierces its target, then hits repeatedly for additional damage.

This blasphemous spell is a family heirloom of Lord Aldia's. It was designed to pummel foes until its power is entirely exhausted."

Attached: B334A5E2-10B0-4D6D-8FD8-74086DFD11F2.png (208x240, 31K)

>Voordt was supposed to have babies fused to his chest at one point
>Dancer was called "PursuitHeroine" in the files and her phantom in Irithyll is pulled from a flesh-and-blood NPC of her
I really want to know what they were planning with those characters.

Attached: 1537627615850.jpg (600x450, 78K)

>Demons Souls
>Better than Dark Souls

Demons Souls is one of my favorite games but this is blatant elitist bullshit lies.

The same people who claim DeS is better than DaS are the same people who claim Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls.

Sorry for bad formatting I’m phone posting

But morrowind is better than any elder scrolls games that came after it. Still you make a valid point

Reminder that there are 2 covenants that do exactly the same thing. For some reason they decided to not give darkmoons a blue orb.

- Pontiff Sulyvahn was a sorcerer, before usurping Irithyll valley
- he wears the same robes as the scholars in the Grand Archives
- there's a statue of Lothric holding his sword in the High Wall
- Miyazaki doesn't know who Aldia is

ocerios was the one with his baby stuck to him

Dark1 wouldn't even exist without Demon's. You can consider it more rounded up, or personally prefer it, but objectivelly it's better, because one is innovative, while the other is it's direct derivation (basically pic related).

Attached: gsdfbngfd.jpg (1200x1035, 263K)

>he wears the same robes as the scholars in the Grand Archives
Huh, never noticed.
>Miyazaki doesn't know who Aldia is
Made me lol
Old alpha Vordt had charred babies on his belly.

It's not nostalgia, or old game good at all, Dark Souls 1 is just really bad.

DS3 > BB > DS2 > DeS > DS1

Miyazaki is largely responsible for Scholar of the First Sin which expanded on Aldia as a central figure of the story.

Then tell me why Aldia’s spell which is described as a family heirloom is within the grand archives, stating that it was imparted to Prince Lothric by the first of the scholars who doubted the linking of the fire.

Aldia was on of the first that wanted to usher in an age of darkness.

You're almost right but you're completely wrong, it's Kaathe

Attached: file.png (663x715, 693K)

And god, of fucking course Morrowind is the best, and by a LONG shot. Oblivion and Skyrim are a direct downgrade in ALL aspects, Daggerfall was too ambitous and is obviously lacking and unfinished because of it, and Arena is a shitty Daggerfall prototype.

>Miyazaki is largely responsible for Scholar of the First Sin
Why are you making stuff up? Tanimura is listed as sole director of Scholar, whereas Tanimura and Shibuya were co-directors on DSII (because Tanimura took over Shibuya's direction). Miyazaki was a supervisor to make sure things were done on time.

This is one of the most disgusting opinions I've ever seen.

DeS was groundbreaking, but its lack of storytelling definitely don't make it as alluring. It created some amazing gameplay mechanics, but in the end it feels like a prototype.

Okay I was wrong but that doesn’t prove that Miyazaki doesn’t know who Aldia is. And you haven’t addressed the points I’ve brought up above.

>Miyazaki is largely responsible for Scholar of the First Sin which expanded on Aldia as a central figure of the story.
Source required
Specially when DS3 completelly ignored 2, obviously showing Miyazaki was beyond butthurt by it's existence.

>but its lack of storytelling definitely don't make it as alluring
WUT
Demon's has the better story after BB, sure better than Dark1 which was literally "prove you are the chosen one to save the world, and then do it".
The only thing Dark1 did best in it's storytelling was giving context to the game losing state through hollowing (a shame 2 and 3 completelly forgot it).

The only thing that confuses me is the idea that you can feed off of a soul by just drinking blood/flesh.

You can retain the power of the Dark Soul or any Lord Soul by this logic by being a vampire or a cannibal.

It's not really established in the universe and comes out of nowhere and adds a whole new level of confusion to the already paper thin explanation of the Dark Sign and how the Lord Souls work.

KAATHE! KAATHE! KAATHE!

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 354K)

In the Depths in Das1, the rats were getting humanity from eating corpses. Maybe that's where Miyazaki got the idea?
desu i don't really care for the painting/gael arc

This is so right
Demon's was a perfect creation
BB made enough changes to be worthy of existing on its own, but still it's a derivation
DS1 was 1:1 more of the same, but still nice because of the open world
2 tried to improve but Namco fucked it up and ended being a Frankenstein monster but full of personality
3 it's a budget sequel done in just one year to not make Namco mad because of Sekiro being done for Activision, and so it's pure safe fanservice and 100% recycled to make the biggest profit possible for the lowest expenses.

Attached: 1460328676220.jpg (1280x720, 314K)

I guess that makes some sense, but doesn't really explain much.

>sure better than Dark1 which was literally "prove you are the chosen one to save the world, and then do it".
user...

>and so it's pure safe fanservice
Right, I remember the Dancer from Dark Souls 1 very clearly.

What the fuck is the deep bros? It's clearly differentiated from the abyss.
>inb4 bb leftover

>Ds2 apologist shitting on 3
like clockwork

Attached: 1535614146224.jpg (927x859, 143K)

I'd say Halo has the most fleshed out world, but none of it is in the games.

1 boss in Dark Souls 3 cost more to make than the entirety Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, and Dark Souls 2.

The Dancer's absolutely fanservice, just less as "hey here's this thing from the first game" and more like "here's this giant lady with jiggle physics"

>Is this one of the greatest mythologies ever created in gaming

No, Dark Souls 1 was. The rest of the series might have been if there was a cohesive vision.

This.

as opposed to DUDE CYCLES LMAO?

>Its Kaathe
>Posts picture of Frampt

Attached: 1288295096135.png (339x319, 138K)

>Specially when DS3 completelly ignored 2
Plenty of armor, weapons spells and lore references to DS2 in DS3 and TONS of references in the Ringed City DLC

>Tons

No.

Well spouting inane dumb theories is part of the fun isn’t it? We wouldn’t have a thread like this otherwise.

A huge chunk of it is the fucking Earthen Peak windmill and poisoned ruins, you find the Desert Sorceress set and an NPC wearing it there, Alva is in the Ringed City itself, that's just off the top of my head.

to be fair, DS2 leans far more into high fantasy than 1 did. I can see why Miyazaki wouldn't want to bring back the multiple species of dwarves or reuse Aldia.

DS2 fits in just fine, it takes place sometime later in another land, just another cycle

Well, Jerry, I just took a massive shit in your toilet and didn't flush. The smell should hit you any minute. Enjoy.