Is MGS4 the most popular game ever locked to it's original console?

Is MGS4 the most popular game ever locked to it's original console?

It was made on a hodgepodge engine tailored to the exotic CELL architecture. It has a ton of licensing red flags with music, actors, and physical product placement. The studio that made it is gone and the creator who can probably claim sole responsibility for a AAA franchise more than any other developer left in a messy divorce. The rightw holder really no longer cares for game development especially costly vanity projects like MGS. It's doomed forever to the badly aging PS3 hardware (I just had a 2nd 80GB software BC unit die on me).

Attached: 220px-Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg (220x254, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUJ01041_00-0000000000000001
youtube.com/watch?v=nDjv0EqAWpw
theverge.com/2017/10/9/16446280/microsoft-finally-admits-windows-phone-is-dead
psx-place.com/threads/playing-ps3-wii-u-game-titles-on-your-ps4-maybe-sooner-than-you-think.22437/
youtube.com/watch?v=ua9GZPzYQfc
github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix/wiki
youtube.com/watch?v=5105DeorjrY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It needs a remaster so bad

One of my saves of this game is already corrupted, it's breaking apart and no chance to play it on a modern machine.

Is there anyway to play MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 on PC

its kinda amazing in way, it was nice to see a last hurrah with its ps+ download
(i also just sent my 60gb fatty to repairs a 2nd time, i feel ya)

Through emulation. MGS2 had a real pc please but you are better off emulating.

if we arent counting backwards compatibility and pc, probably yeah.

The engine was pretty basic for 2008 honestly, it's really not tailored for the Cell or anything, it could run on Xbox 360 just fine, the only issue is the ipod would have to be removed

It just won't get a port because Konami don't give a shit

How well do they run on a midrange computer? I can play MGSV and get 60 fps on medium to high settings, for reference

No, that's easily Chrono Cross since it's not available on anything except PC & PS1

Attached: Upsets.jpg (3000x927, 718K)

didnt you hear? mgs4 is getting ported on the 360!

Attached: mgs4on360.jpg (393x161, 11K)

Sony seems to be cooking something up for backwards compatibility if you look at their recent patents filling. I bet games from PS1 through PS4 will be playable on PS5 like what Xbox is doing right now.

We'll be able to play it on PS5 backwards compatibility so dont worry
Hopefully in full resolution 60 fps

store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-NPUJ01041_00-0000000000000001

Vita and PSP

>I bet games from PS1 through PS4 will be playable on PS5 like what Xbox is doing right now.

I bet it's going to be worse where we have to pay to play our old fucking games.

Goldeneye

Why was the remake so bad?

It's insane that Konami hasn't wanted to remaster this yet. The recent remaster of Crash, Spyro, and RE made me hopeful, but there's no sign of it.

Only emulation, sadly. I decided to play through the whole thing because MGS4 was the only one I played and I don't have my PS3 anymore.

And Sunny playing with a psp
And Snake using the Dualshock to control Mk2
And Otacon joking that you now have a ps3 with a blueray disc so you dont have to swap at the shadow moses part
And the that gimmick with the Mantis fight that changed if you had a sixaxis only controller or the dualshocks
And the obvious Mac G5 that Otacon has in the airship
And i'm probably missing some stuff

This is probably in the "too much effort to port it elsewhere" category as Twin Snakes is

Because Activision

It's just for PS4 BC, PS3 emulation is a pipe dream for PS5, Journalists struggle with the tech stuff

>posting the shitty US cover

Attached: 7b9af52dd0c04d69bfe528b1be29b113.jpg (1464x1744, 315K)

Oh damn, the last time i played this was around when Obama just became president, so i forgot all that

the engine being ported wouldn't be hard, but yeah a lot of gameplay would have to be changed which is more tricky

They were just talking about this on the Digital Foundry e3 2006 look back video. Hopefully Bluepoint is on the case.

It's a completely different game.

MGS1 had a good PC release.
MGS2 had a bad PC release.
MGS3 had a PC release in my dreams once.

Yes and that's a good thing

Daniel Craig

I am watching this video and I have just arrived at this section coincidentally.
MGS4 deserves to be ported somewhere

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-24 21-53-01.png (938x694, 344K)

Even if they offer bc they will never offer them for all games. Its the same with ps4. They already have a working ps1-2 + psp emulator but wont offer games for it sometimes with the excuse those games need trophies support.

1 is psx emulation, you can probably emulate it on your smart fridge
2/3 is pcsx2 but surprisingly it works well, i've been playing it at 60fps on intel dual core in 2008 or so

But even if they at the very least match Xbox's program, you would think MGS has to be high up on the list of handpicked titles. I mean Xbox One X already has MGS2, MGS3, and MGS:PW in 4k so we know Konami is game.

I would ask how MGS4 runs on RPCS3, but my CPU can't even handle MGS2/MGS3 on PCSX2 without farting itself to death

Attached: 979818782789658430.jpg (720x720, 51K)

>Mantis gimmick
That shit blew me away just like the MGS1 gimmick did. I wish more games did silly things like that.

>how MGS4 runs on RPCS3
It doesn't even boot the game lel

Attached: 3197481867826605.jpg (600x450, 58K)

>engine was pretty basic for 2008 honestly
what the fuck are you talking about? This game was insanely looking for the time it came out, it was the crysis of the ps3
I played the demo back in the day and was blown the fuck away at all the detail, the shadows, the textures, the sounds.

MGS4 was a fucking technical marvel that still holds up today, at the very least in the visual and sound design departments

KONAMI have a branch of the MGS4 engine that runs on PC in theory they could probably port the game fairly easily:
youtube.com/watch?v=nDjv0EqAWpw
MGS4's engine running natively on windows, no emulation at all

totally unrelated to the OP but is there a way to play MGS5 where you insta-die if you take a hit?

I usually just reload to checkpoint but I hate that you can absorb basically unlimited fire before the boss actually dies?

I really hope ps5 gets this fabled backwards compatibility
I dont even care if it doesnt upscale or enhance the framerate of games
If it does have full ps4-ps1 backwards compatibility its a day 1 buy from me (maybe wait a month or so to see if it has any RLOD-tier malfunctions)

How realistic is it to hope for a full backwards compatibility feature?, no paywall shit

>you dont have to switch disks snake
>but you can only have half of the game installed at a time
nice one otacon you nerd

Just download infinite heaven and set your health to low. You could also set enemy vision and you could basically have a lite version of Arma

It would be per-title basis no way that they could support the whole library if they're doing emulation due to legal issues since the game is being translated real-time. They would have to put in the PS3 hardware in PS5 kinda like PS3 did with PS2 if they wanted full on back compact

Im in PS4 because im a pleb and needed a bluray player that could also stream movies.

Im guessing that makes me SOL?

Also in the gameplay department. Smooth controls, deep mechanics.

Yes i think so too
Thats why i said at the very least.

There are so many quirks and hidden mechanics in mgs4, playing around with them and discovering them for the first time was so much fun

but then you notice the resolution and suddenly it looks alot worse

stuff like this doesn't legally have to be removed

1080i still looks pretty good even today

I was really hoping MGSV would just be Act 2 of MGS4 expanded and turned into an entire game.

actually it renders at 768p, a 4x3 resolution

any tips on this part?
where you battle the gekkos with the rail gun

Attached: i cant get past this part help.png (629x401, 258K)

Just don't miss? I've never had trouble with this part so I can't give any tips, sorry.

Source? The game clearly outputs 1080i on my TV, are you saying it upcales from 768p to 1080i? That's fucking weird, why not just upscale to 1080p then?

PS5 will have PS3 emulation so we will play it soon

charge the rail gun and when its fully charged shoot a gecko?
I have literally never died here

It's been a while since I've played this game but then I see screenshots like this and remember just how good it was.

I hope folklore is backwards compatible
more people need to play that game

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 41K)

>MGS2 had a bad PC release.
It's not that bad with fix.

The PC fix doesn't fix the missing graphical effects, even the Xbox OG version is pretty shitty when compared to the PS2 version.

Dude the shadows are jaggie & the textures are blurry, play it again

Really? That's a shame. I would think RPCS3 devs would want to work on that seeing as it's one of the few, true PS3 exclusives you can't get anywhere else

Chapter 4 was a hell of a ride and that scene wasn't even the climax.
Naomis dumb death and Mt. Snakemore stop it from being almost perfect.

No it won't, just PS4

>engine was pretty basic
Fuck right off.

There's no way they could cost effectively put PS3 emulation into a console. Like said, they'd have to put the PS3 hardware into a PS5 and just because it's old doesn't mean it's any cheaper to produce. If something like PS1-4 emu is possible, it would be prohibitively expensive. You're talking something in the range of $800-1000 in my guess.

Only slightly unrelated, but why the fuck are people willing to drop ~$1000 on a new phone but unwilling to drop the same amount on a gaming system?

Tell what it does uniquely

>source?
My musky asshole.

Lolwut?

Because people who buy 1000$ iphones are literally brainwashed
I dont know how the fuck they did it
My mother, who is a closet communist and hippie, buys apple shit like its a religion
She even got told to get fucked by apple customer "service" because her "vintage" macbook got busted, and they cant fix it because its too old
Her solution? Buy a new macbook

jesus fucking christ

it upscales from 768p, are you unaware that basically every single ps3 game has a native sub-hd resolution?

Yeah, it's not just Apple though. Almost every (major) flagship phone is in (or close enough to) the $1000 range.

In any case, it's a shame that game consoles are locked to that price point since I feel like it hinders what could be. Fuck, shit like that could even save physical retailers. Sell consoles like phones on a payment plan. I'm gonna stop now before some marketer reads this shit and it becomes the new standard.

Actually have a CFW PS3 again and thought about playing and watcing this again. Haven't touched it since its release year but I recall lots of fun times in MGO.

Agreed, it's a complete refinement of the gameplay of the previous 3 games in every way, it's just that you realise with the improved mechanics just how much the difficulty of the previous games was a result of the controls/mechanics, as it's a much easier game, but still just as fun, although the bit where you have to follow the resistance member through the streets at night is really challenging, though awesome.

Also, nanomachines make sense in MGSverse.

I have this game on ps3 and I have yet to play it

It's still a very good looking game though, and the art style is great.

Sony wins again

but both of those moments are hilarious

>naomi gets cancer and dies before snake despite injecting him with a virus designed to kill him
>kojima poking fun at himself for making solidus snake the president of the united states

Is there any version of it on the net that has the japanese voice track? i also have CFW as well and i kinda wanted to replaiy it in glorious nippon.

Man, everyone bitched and moaned about following the guy through the streets on launch and I thought it was fucking MGS perfection.

If you like MGS or action games even in the slightest, it's absolutely worth playing. Fuck, this thread is making me want to dig out and setup my PS3 to replay MGS4

It was truly one of the highlights of the entire series.

and PS3

Every chapter was very neat and I love how much more open the areas are.
I also thought it was very fun. Save for the motorcycle part, the whole chapter was a blast. Probably my 2nd favorite.

I remember this! Damn I'm old

I'd stop playing video games at that point.

Equivalent android/windows phones are about 1/3 of the price, bro

Honestly, I don't hate MGS4, but it really needs a huge tune-up. Maybe even a rewrite. I'm not saying they should completely redo the story, but a restructuring would be in order. Also, more missions and areas and a Shadow Moses that isn't filled with robots.

Alright, I hooked up my PS3 to my current monitor and the game is indeed running at sub-HD resolution, the 1080i thing was probably my old TV shenanigans.
I also found this cute picture on my PS3's hard drive.

Attached: SUNNY & NAOMI 1.jpg (1024x576, 401K)

Pixel 3 is $800 MSRP
Pixel XL 3 is $900
Galaxy Note 9 $1000
The Galaxy S10 and Fold are $1000+

Windows phones are officially dead:
theverge.com/2017/10/9/16446280/microsoft-finally-admits-windows-phone-is-dead

Yeah, you can get cheaper phones, but my original comment talked about the flagship models. In the same vein, I'm sure someone would buy a $300-500 PS5 that only played PS5 games (and maybe PS4 too) but I can almost guarantee you that there's a market for a $1000 PS5 Premium™ that plays PS1-5 games. That difference would be the equivalent of a flagship phone and a discount model.

If you wait until the act 3 (maybe act 4, I can't remember) briefing to pick up the camera it already has a bunch of pictures like this on there, with Sunny and Naomi cooking eggs.

literally no one cares about it. First time I even heard it's only on one console since no one is ever talking about it

Best bet would probably be to play it in 720p. I remember I played it back in the day on a big ass 720p DLP and it looked great.

The new Bluepoint game is MGS4
screencap this post

Only years after initially playing the game I found out that it allowed you to take pictures in-game, never used this function much though

Attached: MIDDLE EAST MILLENNIUM PARK.jpg (1024x576, 451K)

PS5 no BC = $400
PS5, PS4 BC = $500
PS5, PS4, PS3 BC = $600
PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2 BC = $700
PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1 BC = $800
PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP & PSVITA BC = $1000

>just had a 2nd 80GB software BC unit die on me
Aren't you supposed to reapply the thermal paste to avoid that? I heard of a couple hardware mods that replaced the cooling, too.

might be, but my ps3 still works and the game is still shit.

Tell me you wouldn't be on that $600 model like a madman. Original PS3 launched at
>$599USD

still have my old copy but my PS3 is literally a brick at this point because my old PS3 controlers are dead and im to lazy to buy new ones.

>trophies support
I have them disabled. How can anyone play a single player and see a pop up after he kills a boss "The journey begins.." or something else designed to give devs estimates on % completion.

I used to take pictures on MGO
I had pics of my MGO squad posing for the pic

Attached: 1446864673627.jpg (601x601, 75K)

I still can't believe mgs was so big konami had it labeled as its own income revenue

I'd buy it. I've still got a PS2 slim so I've got no need for 2/1 BC.

I have my 2010 slim still going strong, but I replaced the thermal paste every 3 years or so. Also,disassembling and reassembling a PS3 is a fucking nightmare, too many fucking screws.

I remember playing this game as a christmas gift when I was 20 years old. At first I was confused and then the disappointment set in when it became apparent that this game exists just to rape the MGS trilogy and say fuck you to whiners that wanted another game and even sent death threats to Kojima. How mad he must've been when he was making this turd I wonder.

They are all the same screws tho. Put some respeck on it

Even if all other conditions were met for its remake, considering how much of the influencer MGS fanbase hates it, a remake will not likely happen

The $1000 model would sell out immediately and be up on Ebay for $5000 burgerstokens

Yeah. You would need only 6 discs on X360 to play this one.

Like DK64, it's one of those games you will never see again unless you have a PS3.

Oh, absolutely. The truth is, the price model would probably look more like:
PS5 base models (varying HDD size) - $400-500
PS5+PS4 - 600
PS3+PS4+PS3+PS1 - 800
PS5+PS4_PS3+PS2+PS1 - 1000

The PS3 natively supports PS1 games, even in its later editions and for as much shit as it gets, the Cell architecture is not cheap to build/install.

didn't this game have an insane amount of weapons? like 40?

>DK64 is a PS3 exclusive

Attached: 5241875.jpg (560x560, 34K)

70, but some were pretty similar and/or variants

DK64 was released on virtual console, dude.

man that's insane. how the fuck did they add so many but made the gameplay feel so sparse? was there replay value in their minds?

I wonder how that effect the MGS fandom's perception of 4

Middle East was interesting for the series, throwing you in the middle of a raging battlefield. Hypothetically, if they remade MGS4, it'd be nice if they expanded on it. I wouldn't say they should totally copy MGSV, but bringing over some of its design concepts into 4 would be cool.

South America was a little less interesting. Mansion could have been better utilized. Incorporating some elements from MGSV here would probably help a lot.

Europe was kinda cool at first, but gets obnoxious in subsequent playthroughs. They should have made it so that, if you know where to go, you don't have to track the guy and go straight there, resulting in an alternate cutscene.

Shadow Moses would have been so much cooler if it weren't for all the shitty robots. They should have also made more of the compound available for exploring.

Outer Haven would have been better if you had to go through the whole compound.

Most people bitching 4 never even played the game or owned a PS3, so it won't make any difference.

This is why heavy product placement is a bad thing

You can use an old PC USB controller with a PS3, just that there's no equivalent to the home button, so you can't access the system menu after you start a game. By "old" I mean Directinput, not Xinput, so a PC controller before they were all Xbox360-style.

>was there replay value in their minds?
yes. it takes at least 8 runs to fully unlock all emblems. unlocking all of them unlocks snake eater on the ipod

If you read this article psx-place.com/threads/playing-ps3-wii-u-game-titles-on-your-ps4-maybe-sooner-than-you-think.22437/ you can see ps3 emulation is still out of reach for ps4 even for the pro. It should be possible for ps5 if they write their own emulator.

No. MGS4 wasn't made for replays like previous titles. There are multiple really obnoxious parts if you've already played before.

The main problem with MGS is that it's fundamentally a series about stealth. So naturally, using loud weapons would really cause nothing but trouble. And naturally, the series rewards stealth, so going around guns ablazing would detract from your score. MGSV attempted to mitigate this somewhat by making speed more important than stealth, but it still rewarded you for being stealthy. So when the games give you all these huge variety of weapons, it feels like it's giving you a bunch of useless tools because a silenced pistol is naturally gonna be more useful than any of them in achieving your objective.

Only the first two chapters really make use of the "standard gameplay". 3 is just gimmicks. 4 is just robots who don't make use of the same behaviors the humans do. 5 is short before becoming boss battles.

I think the PS3 lets you have trophies enabled while disabling the pop-ups.

I dont know. I think if MGS4 was more available across platforms, its reception would definitely change

Ps3 emulation exists. Xbox and Xbox360 games are what you should be worrying about.

I finished my first mgs game last night. On to the next!

Attached: Resized_20190224_044618.jpg (1600x1200, 182K)

There's no secret, you just have to really stay on top of all the gekkos and make sure you shoot them in the proper place every time. The first time I played the game 11 years ago I died a few times there. I played the game again about 3 or 4 years ago and I don't think I died once.

That's why you don't update it and install custom firmware. Fuck them if they do that.

Raiden's arc should of have ended at 4

Attached: 1525562785353.jpg (1024x576, 40K)

You can just starting blowing people away guns blazing but at some point, there's a mini-flashback of Liquid saying "You enjoy all the killing!" and Skane pukes in disgust at himself

the loud weapons are for boss fights and other combat situations, something mgsv seriously lacked. you're forgetting that the mg franchise has only ever been half stealth, the other half is action. it's always been that way, ever since 1987

But MGS4 is on PSNow

Again, MGSV does mitigate it somewhat by making speed more important than stealth. So if you want to blitz through an enemy outpost with a heavy machinegun, as long as you do it quickly, you'll still get an S rank.

You probably already know this but if you get shot up a lot and never take a shower you will always have half health, and if you wear fatigues instead of stealth suit, etc. means no armor. Youll die pretty quick on PS4, still not 1 shot though.

>elephant
Figures, with that fat arse of yours

making s-ranks easier to get isn't a good thing. they should have actually made some engaging boss fights instead of just making the game less punishing

>flopped
>sci-fi spinoff was never released outside of Japan
>basically killed Cozy Okada's career

Poor Folklore, it really deserved better.

>heavy use of sixaxis
>disc only
never ever

Would be way too complicated to release it like this and nobody, not even one single person would drop 1000 dollars for backwards compatibility like that when emulation is easy to do and consoles like PS2 and PS3 are so readily available

Original PS3 also flopped and wasn't a success until the Kevin Butler ads and after a 300 dollar price drop and the slim model

Shoot the Gekko

Lonely lightning

Attached: 1533493139909.jpg (1200x858, 154K)

What sci-fi spinoff?

It's perfectly fine the first time you do it but it gets grating real fast on replays.

Coded Soul (Folklore was Folks' Soul in Japan) for the PSP. It had some compatibility with Folklore; if you owned them both and linked your PSP up to your PS3, you'd unlock some unique monsters in Folklore and some special costumes in Coded Soul.

youtube.com/watch?v=ua9GZPzYQfc

Attached: codedsoulyk5.jpg (402x229, 43K)

github.com/VFansss/mgs2-v-s-fix/wiki

it did

Looked alright, I guess. Shame that the career of the guy who originally made Persona ended that way.

I own it, honestly it's pretty mediocre. If it wasn't for the Folklore/SMT connection I don't think it would EVER be mentioned or even known at all.

Even with what happend a couple minutes prior to it pic related is still the greatest scene in all of MGS. Even more so in jap considering the situation between the VA's. Makes it even more kino

Attached: big_1471428468_image.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

>it even rained the day I was born

Years later and I am still mildly seething over 4 and V

you can play all 3 on vita in your bed

I enjoy 3, 4, and V all equally for different reasons

Based. Although I haven't replayed the older games in ages, I have extremely fond memories of this series. I'd also add 1 to that list for its thick industrial atmosphere, soundtrack and color palette. Some of its presentation has more impact for me now than it did when I first played it as a kid. That game aged incredibly well.

youtube.com/watch?v=5105DeorjrY

>last time i played through this was to get the platinum as a final cleanup sort of thing
>got every single trophy apart from the “view all flashbacks” one, the flashbacks being where you mash x at certain points in cutscenes to have some images flash onscreen
>played through over and over and over, i think i was on NG+++++++
>mashed x for the totality of every cutscene in the game
>STILL DIDN’T FUCKING GET IT
mad

He has a right to say that though, considering how shitty his life has been

yes

Attached: mgs3.webm (788x480, 1.74M)

>it was the crysis of the ps3
wrong. Crysis was the crysis of ps3

Attached: crysisepilpesyedition.webm (854x480, 2.14M)

>have ps3
>Own legacy collection
>Never played mgs4
Am I missing out?

Attached: Shishou.png (409x523, 288K)

What's the best place to download MGS1/2/3 ISOs right now? I need some comfy nostalgia kino on my PC.

Attached: 54778589.jpg (500x708, 46K)

no

Not only are you missing out, but you missed out in the best Metal Gear Online and you'll never ever be able to experience it.

MGS4 is a fucking awful game and ruined the series. Let it rot on the worthless PS3.

I honestly can't think of a better example
there's too many lockout factors

xboxfag mad that he didn't get the game on his system.

this

It's the bookend finish of both MGS and MGS2
Just be prepared for Kojima goofiness

lol fag

I would play it again at 60fps desu

you missed out on MGO.

The digital foundry guys brought up today that the mystery "most ambitious project ever" bluepoint game could be a ground up reworking and por of MGS4.

Reasoning?

not much, they were talking about technical stuff about MGS4 and how it's likely to never be on another platform in it's original form unless it was entirely reworked, i.e exactly the type of work bluepoint does. There was an interview where Bluepoint talked about how for Shadow of the Colossus they've have their proprietary engine running code concurrently with a lot of original game code.

>i.e exactly the type of work bluepoint does.
when have they done that?

>There was an interview where Bluepoint talked about how for Shadow of the Colossus they've have their proprietary engine running code concurrently with a lot of original game code

If you care about the characters, then yes

so it wasn't entirely reworked then

No he hasn't. Just buy a copy of MGS4 that isn't the Legacy Collection version and then follow some instructions on how to this and that on official firmware and you're done and ready to play MGO2 again.

Good, fuck that disaster of a game, if you can even call it that with the mountain of cutscenes.

>mgs4 was 11 years ago
Why haven't graphics progressed much?

>Xbox and Xbox360 games are what you should be worrying about
360 I get but why OG Xbox? CXBX was looking nice last I saw it.

Do you have a PS2 controller?

MGS2 and 3 have pressure sensitive controls for aiming and melee takedowns.

Not really. Read the novelization instead which is far superior.

Law of diminishing returns. Now that graphics are so close to photorealism at times, multiplying poly counts can't make a face look better than real life, so you hit a plateau where a character model can't look much better visually. Same law with textures. Once you start multiplying detail past 4K, it becomes harder and harder to see the minutiae of detail unless you press your face right up against it.

I would be willing to die if I just got to smell that thing for a couple of hours.