What happened to arena shooters?

I feel like arena shooters are still good but the player base on all of them is so low! The only "living" one right now is Quake Champions which is not bad but the player base is weak. The newest unreal tournament has been in PRE-ALPHA for literal fucking years and probably won't ever get released because of fortnite(FUCKING HELL).

What happend you guys? Reflex is dead, unreal tournament is dead. Quake champs is hanging on. What else is there? I feel like arena shooters are the superior kind of FPS too. I just don't want the genre to perish for good. Damn man.

Attached: Unreal2015.png (1600x900, 1.83M)

>because of fortnite
no it's because everyone said it sucked and kept playing 99 & 04

Battle royales are basically the new arena shooters.
>get items, armor, health
>big items that everyone fights over similar to how mega health/armor worked

the issue with battle royale is that the action is slow in comparison. NO respawns means having to join a entire new lobby.

I agree but it makes them easy to get into unlike Quake or unreal which have a very high skill ceiling.

Apex has respawning at least.

Arena shooters are a meme. Devs keep making them but the target audience doesn't like them and keeps crying instead.

The arena shooter cycle

>why are arena shooters dead
>arena shooter comes out
>waahhh it's not an exact clone of Quake what do you mean I have to learn a new game
>game dies
>why are arena shooters dead

I want to play QC more but it feels like it takes too long to get into a match so I don't bother.
The simple fact is that a purely skill based shooter doesn't appeal to most folks.

The people who were involved in the arena shooter community back in the 90s to the early 00s are in their mid 30s at the younger scale. Gaming was a much smaller hobby back then and many of the people who were into gaming back then have gotten out of it for a variety of reasons over the years.
Id and Epic games have the issue that back when they were on top they supported GNU/Linux, many of their fans ran servers, and now when making the choice between their games or a better platform choose a better platform and play TF2 or CS:GO.

They fell out of favor with the industry because twitchy fast paced arena fps games didn't work well on consoles or mobile devices and they have less room for getting money from whales than other genres.

this

Quake live is still the best option by far. When QC inevitably gets shut down QL will get those players back. QL is still active enough to play though if you don't mind CA and FFA.

Attached: 1544327060410.jpg (960x720, 298K)

Diabotical will save us!

Everyone loved Reflex Arena and it still died. Those first few weeks after it released were fucking glorious until I logged in one day and there were literally 0 players. It's a real shame, that game is perfect gameplay wise

Welcome to the reality, boomer. People jump from game to game unless they are shackled by treadmill progression or money spent.

It's because ArenaShooterChads, like MeleeChads, don't settle for inferior shit. Unlike every other community, who gladly accepts a casualized piece of garbage just so they can get a paycheck.

Don't people boot you from servers in QL if you don't have a high enough MMR score or something like that?

> QL will get those players back
not so fast sweety

Attached: 1546430999344.png (1024x518, 352K)

When was the last time you played a triple A game that made you go "Wow I've never seen this before"
Innovation is dead

Attached: Here comes the Pain.jpg (1920x1080, 505K)

Arena shooters suck now. Everything is a Quake or Unreal clone without the good stuff from the old games

Unreal never got a full dev team and expected the community to do all of the work.

Meanwhile Paragon was overstaffed and pumping out 18mill worth of assets and Fortnite was eating shit. Once Fortnite BR mode dropped they moved all available developers to it and cut ties with Paragon and UT.

The only good thing about UT is that its easily modable and could become Yea Forumss TF2 shithole playground if anyone was dumb enough to try and host a server.

Attached: 1547165741953.jpg (1500x1125, 111K)

Still bitter it took Epic almost two years to tell everyone UT4 was not being developed, not even a skeleton crew to work the bugs out. I can't blame the team, they got moved to Fortnite like everyone else.
Will it have a proper comeback?

Attached: 1550806914816.jpg (1024x614, 38K)

Some servers have ELO restrictions one way or another (kicked for being too high or too low), most of them don't though. Typically when they do it's for your own good

Diaboticals aesthetic is really shitty IMO, I want it to succeed but everyone said the same shit about Reflex too

game?

Alrighty. Maybe I'll dip my toes into QL then.

1on1 is harder to sell than team games
lmao no

Dark Messiah, it's dope as af

WHEN THE FUCK IS IT COMING BACK
FUCK THIS GODDAMN BULLSHIT

Attached: f4230b246dffe2a49772fc4f0f2e21d835af66e4.jpg (1000x1000, 255K)

>He doesn't recognize DMOMM

Attached: Zoom Zoom.gif (326x281, 110K)

Apex legends have the same core concepts as arena shooters.
>mobility
>collect fat stacks and fight
>repeat

all shooters are arena shooter.

Good luck. I recommend watching some strafe jumping tutorials on YouTube and practicing movement, race servers are a lot of fun. Also you gotta rebind your weapon keys, never ever use the mouse wheel

Q - rockets
E - LG
R - Rail
F - plasma

# keys work for the other stuff

Reflex is a cpma one trick pony, diabotical has potential to be the ultimate arena playground with the easiest ingame map creator, I personally going to create a fucking hogwarts just for the defrag mod alone

lmao even thinking that was a worthy response
lmao even tihnking I will entertain your shitty and wrong opinion

I haven't played it but from what I've seen it's all hitscan weapons, one the best parts of afps is the projectile weapons like rockets and plasma

>WHEN ARE THEY GONNA MAKE AN ARENA SHOOTER AS GOOD AS QUAKE???
>Okay here's Game #1-20 of arena shooters
>YEAH BUT NONE OF THOSE ARE AS GOOD AS Q3A
>Okay here's Quake Live, literally just fucking Quake III Arena but totally free to play and able to run both on Steam and in a fucking Internet browser oh wait it died

the last thing someone tried it it bombed harder than hiroshima

Attached: a70c0f13cef910b3792faee5160e0bba.jpg (1080x600, 142K)

>Team Fortress 2
play it every day, fight me if this isnt an arena shooter
>Titanfall 2
its nice
>UT99,2004
its nice, but old af
>Q3/Q:L
its nice, but old af + hard to find games on all (non-duel) gametypes at all times.
>QC
i want to like this but fuck saber and fuck the balancing and fuck the bugs and fuck the framerate and fuck the nomaps fuck the no gametypes fuck the tribolt fuck the 'Battle Pass'
>Toxikk
Dead before arrival. No advertisement at all. Strong clone of UT3. ded af
>Reflex
is just Q:L but with less graphics. NOTHING new besides the VERY COOL coop map-editor.
>UT3
Killed too soon, revived too late.
>UT(4)
its cool, but sweeney himself said after fortnite was released, "We have stopped all development on UT4" so fuck shit and piss cum
No.
>Serious sam 1&2&3
great (coop) fun
>SWAT4
very alive T B H, would recommend (But master servers are down, you need to community-patch/community-server-browser to see any servers) (60+ players on swat 4 as of writing this post on public servers)
>R6:Siege
very boring to me, sorry
>xonotic
p alive,

atm waiting for super serious sam boy 4,

He is right you know

no

Reflex had in-game map editing with multiplayer support, game modes up the ass, workshop content and maps, it had everything you could want in an afps

last time*

>plasma F not 3
baka
F stands for grenade launcher dum dum

Wait, is 04 still alive? I loved that game

I keep shotgun at 3 and use G for grenades, it's not too far to reach

Retard
I agree that the weapons are boring but the idea is the same.
>fighting over resources in an arena to get out on top
Fighting over airdrops is basically fighting over megas

Shit Kickington's Pro Shit Kicker

Kicking Simulator

Nobody has done a proper new arena game.
Take apex legends for example: if it had a smaller map and respawns it would be a great arena shooter and people would love it the same or even more.

I am optimistic Diabotical will have a stable community. 2gd should have some pull with twitch streamers and could get a decent launch. I'm assuming Singsing will play it, that's 5k viewers right away.
Beta finally soon.

Yeah they did that, it was called titanfall 2

>battle royale zoomer shit
>maps are basically a flat open territory without any level/map design because devs are lazy/shit
>you walk around for 8 minutes without any action
>its basically a giant hiking/camping simulator like Skyrim with guns
>this is exactly like quake
lmao no

Mwheel up - Rail
Mwheel down - Rocket
Mouse4 - Shotgun
Mouse5 - LG
Q, 2, E, R for rest

Three issues:

1) They're a lot harder than most FPS down there with shitton of movement.

2) There's no team to blame, literally everything that happens to you is your fault = more stressful.

3) Fighting games share first and second but are more entertaining to watch. In arena shooters regular viewer sometimes can't understand what the fuck is happening because everything is too fast. But even with that, fighting games are still very niche.

They're boring as fuck. When you need a PhD in "The Theory of Quake" to git gud there's is nothing enticing about wanting to keep playing. Are they THE most skilled based FPS around? Yes. Are they fun outside of mindless shooting? No.

They are too fast, I get dizzy since I got over 25.

csgo came around BIATCH! XD

If you want "mindless shooting" you'd play anything but an afps. Every other shooter is literally "whoever sees the other guys player model first wins", it's just a glorified game of where's Waldo. Afps adds some actual depth so of course it scares all the normies away

late 90's/early 2000's PC gaming was high IQ/nerd territory
today it is low IQ zoomer twitch streamer territory

>04
>being an actual arena shooter and not just battlefield lite

Wanna know how I know you regurgitate every meme opinion Yea Forums has?

CS:GO is hard
LoL is hard
DOTA is hard
Starcraft 2 was hard

Yet all of those games have a much more active playerbase the AFPS because even despite them being hard, they are still fun to play. AFPS boil down to shoot the dude and out-camp your opponent. Hard to do, but boring as all fuck to engage or watch.

I feel like having no team to blame makes it *less* stressful. Don't have to worry about people being shitty at me because I'm bad, I can just focus on getting better.

As more and more people get into video games, the average skill level and degree of devotion will go down to match the baseline of humanity. Arena shooters are demanding and most people might enjoy them, but will invariably get blown the fuck out while playing them. Games that require a lower degree of engagement will naturally draw such players because they tend to have equalizers that diminish the impact of skill or simply require less of it to succeed in the first place.

Attached: 1546050940313.gif (327x368, 1.71M)

The issue isn't games dying it's that arena shooters haven't modernized at all.

Everything people want from the genre is the same reason no game in it takes off, it's just Quake/Unreal again for the 50th time with the same weapon wheel except maybe one original gun.

Doom 2016 proved face paced arena shooters can still survive in today's market, you just have to fucking update them and make them interesting again

>Out-camp your opponent

t. Scrub who played quake for 5 minutes and doesn't know what he's talking about

I can't speak for anyone but myself, I've been playing quake for almost 10 years and it's fun as fuck. On the other hand I've tried very popular games like LoL and thought they were absolute trash. What's so fun about memorizing build orders and item stats and all that autistic shit? Idk I can't explain why that shit is popular, but quake has always been hella fun to me

>Apex has respawning at least
After waiting for 2 minutes or some shit IF your team manages to do so.

Sucks ass.

yes, the arena just gets bigger

Area shooters were never that popular even in the era they were most popular in, pretty much every FPS had an arena shooter style MP but the only ones that were populated were Quake, UT or Halo

Attached: 1377900576084.gif (499x281, 977K)

Actually several hundred hours. Can bridge2rail if we wanna have an e-peen measuring contest. The entire process of gittin gud was 1 of the most boring things I did in a multiplayer game and whenever I said fuck it and just disregarded all items except Quad I had a much better time.

>The entire process of gittin gud was 1 of the most boring things I did in a multiplayer game
>Playing the game was the most boring things I did in a multiplayer game

Nigger you have problems

Not an argument. And like I said, when you disregard everything and just shoot the dudes, it becomes much more enjoyable. Kinda like BR

Different strokes I guess. I do get bored of some gametypes since everyone in NA is always playing the same dumb shit. But PQL CA never gets old to me, nothing else I've played gives me the same satisfaction as that crazy ass movement + fast weapon switch

Exactly, doom has enough new to it (Demon powerups, Personal teleporter, Warpath, static rifle, Infernal Run) to make it fun even while still keeping loadouts/2 weapons.

I still fucking hate Specters though

>not an argument
Fuck off back to resetera or wherever you picked up that faggot lingo.

>when you disregard everything and just shoot the dudes, it becomes much more enjoyable
And that makes it bad how?

>if you shoot in a first person shooter its fun
are you literally retarded?

Never been but way to out yourself as a contrarian.

>bad how?
Not bad, just mediocre. And even that loses its appeal very soon when you can quite literally do the same in any other shooter.

T. Never played Apex Legends

Nigga you're a genuine retarded pleb.

Even implying that you can do the same shit in every shooter, even implying that there is no distiction makes you the biggest fucking retarded cocksucking trannywhore ITT right this moment.
Man, go play your fucking BR games you little bitch.

Halo is an arena shooter
CSGO is an arena shooter
TeamF2 is an arena shooter
What killed quake clones was the lack of innovation. Deal with it.

>Halo is an Arena shooter
the first 3 are abiet slow and shitty ones, dont know if the post 3 ones are though since from what I heard they removed powerups and now have loadouts
>CSGO
It doesnt have power ups or items to find on the map, the only arena shooter conventions it has are health+armor and thats just because of its age
>TF2
even less of an arena shooter than CSGO, health kits are the only thing that come close to making it one

Attached: 1447740901005.jpg (362x263, 82K)

>tf2
>literally modernized quake 1 mod
'scuse me princess

and Team Fortress isnt an arena shooter either. Item pickups are the core part of what puts the arena in arena shooter. Did the original Team Fortress even have health kit pickups?

Attached: my boy.gif (384x239, 3M)

thats like calling Deus Ex an arena shooter because it used the quake engine

What happened is simply that as much as arenafags want to deny it, TB was right that they just do it for the e-cred and instead of supporting games that cater to their tastes, they bitch about it not just being Quake despite it being mechanically identical, so those games die, and yet they don't even play the older games. It's just there for the e-cred.

I can bet you that id could make a pixel-by-pixel modern version of Quake like DOOM 2016 was, with no cutscenes and identical gameplay, down to even having to press your mousewheel to look up or down, and they'd find a way to bitch that it's somehow casualized.

The thing is Arena fags were always a massive minority that usually only stuck to a single game in the genre. Gaylo fags didnt play Quake, Quake fags didnt play UT and UT fags didnt play Halo despite UT turning into Halo with UT2

TB was wrong as fuck about that. I'm one of the people who bitches about AFPS being dead and I actually play the games, I was playing QL just last night. I played Reflex until it completely died, I played all the flavor of the month indie shooters until they died, and I'll play diabotical until that dies too. Sure there are poser fags out there who bitch about it but don't play the games, but there are plenty who put their money where their mouth is

>The newest unreal tournament has been in PRE-ALPHA for literal fucking years and probably won't ever get released because of fortnite(FUCKING HELL).
The game was already on life support before Fortnite even came along. They just didn't pull the plug on it until then but they never took development of the game seriously and were more or less expecting to just crowdsource the game and have the community develop it. The problem is that everytime someone releases a new arena shooter no one plays it. Quakefags are too busy bitching because it's not Quake 3 and just go back to playing that. Arenafags are a loud minority who talk so much about the genre being dead but they never actually play anything but Quake 3. This is all coming from someone who easily put well over 1000 hours in UT2004, I had at least 1200 when I stopped using Xfire. It also doesn't help they don't have that wide of an appeal and are basically a PC exclusive genre due to the fast paced gameplay being next to impossible to pull off properly with controller aiming.