What made it the standard for PC controllers? I personally do not like it

What made it the standard for PC controllers? I personally do not like it

Attached: 61LhR5o1oFL._SX425_.jpg (425x353, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=pd_sim_147_2/133-2653464-2002327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003ZSN600&pd_rd_r=fb028783-3840-11e9-ba03-d93446ec90f0&pd_rd_w=4UEPW&pd_rd_wg=cA6zq&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=CZB7HSXWY24SVRRFXAM9&psc=1&refRID=CZB7HSXWY24SVRRFXAM9
microsoft.com/en-us/p/hyperkin-duke-wired-controller/8XM0XHX3MK23/BZ52
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you heard of Microsoft?

It was by far the best option available at a reasonable price. The xbone controller is an upgrade but it's not a big enough upgrade to justify the price

I'm pissed. I liked it and mine broke and you can't buy it anymore.

one of the best controllers made
works flawlessly with pc without any third party software or converters

Most people think it's comfortable, it has a decent build quality, is plug n play and was easily available everywhere due to MS and the 360. It really is the goat of all controllers.

>Microsoft
>has a USB input
>came out around the time Windows Live launched

cheap
compatible with everything
it's a console controller so its good quality and design

always buy a controller used by consoles. they literally have the best longevity and perfected design

it's less the controller itself and more the API.
how many games have you played in recent years that have directinput support?

It is plug and play. Any other controller doesnt work out of box.

Even in street fighter 5 this controller works out of box, literally plug it in and you are already player 2. With dual shock controller you need to tune game in steam settings and install drivers...

Attached: street fighter juri.jpg (1781x1019, 449K)

>goat of all controllers.
not with that trash dpad

Most modern games support PS4 controllers natively now.

Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Xbox 360

you tell me

that's true, the dpad isn't great, but name an overall better controller.

D-pad is garbage, that is true. But everything else is simply perfect - the size of the controller, analog sticks, buttons, triggers...

Driver support. You just plugged the damn thing in and it worked.

xbox 1 controller?

>not using a DS4 with bluetooth for your pc gaming

>you can't buy it anymore
??? Dude I literally made the thread because I'm going to buy one on amazon since my ultra cheap gioteck has one button permastuck, and I'm still reticent about getting something I'm not used to, as someone that has used dualshocks most of his life so I kinda need to be coaxed into it. Just order it anywhere

the fact that it works natively you nerd?

I've spend my entire highschool between the PS3 and the 360 (the perk of divorced parents I guess) and I can safely say that te PS3 controller didn't stand a chance, too lightweight, the sticks were too big and clunky to use, the batery ran out in no time, it's only redeeming quality was that the directional cross was better to use but other than that.
the 360 had real weight in your hands, the bumpers had a much better feel wich for console FPS meant the world, I could go on but aside from the fact that it was Microsoft in-house pad wich they would of course support better than the others it was a quality controller.
I have a XONE controller right now and it even fixed the D-pad so it's still the best imo

True, this gen dualshock is finally supported but back then the 360 controller was ubiquitous.

Its cheap and works seamlessly for most pc games.

Plug in and it works, also hardly any competition. Logitech's gamepads are garbage albeit cheaper and Sony's doesn't work without 3rd party drivers.

>most modern games
Maybe. But it doesnt change the fact that any PC owner (who wanted controller) in the past already bought the 360 controller because it was cheap and actually worked in all games.

Also dont forget all games (if they detect any controller) show xbox icons in their UI. Not even sony friendly developers expect ps3/4 controller on PC...

>cheap
It's affordable for the build quality, but it's definitely not cheap.

360 controller was always better than the DS3 and it's still better than the DS4. Dualshock is made for girly nip hands

If a game does support DS4 natively it typically always has playstation button prompts.

Standard? At my house the ds4 is standard PC conteoller

It's perfect for everything that isn't fighting games

This is factually wrong. Sony fixed that recently

>It was by far the best option available at a reasonable price.

>best option available at a reasonable price
>usb controller cost xbox360 controller was something like 30-40 euros

Attached: 1550873895109.jpg (641x530, 36K)

You can't be poor in this scenario

only on windows 10

EasySMX version is equally as good and half as expensive.

>trash controller at bargain price
>pretty good controller at reasonable price
>hyper quality at ridiculous prices
360 is the middle

think of all the games you can play with an xbox 360 controller. no extra setup with other programs to make a controller recognizable. plus, it feels good, unlike many third party pieces of shit

>>hyper quality at ridiculous prices
which are these?
and don't you say the xbox one elite controller because that was worse than the normal one

Yes, Europoor, the best for the price. 10 euro pieces of shit are not worth even that, paying three times that you get a controller that actually is three times better.

Attached: revolution6.jpg (518x380, 45K)

Past tense you stupid fuck re-read my post

Xbox one is a straight upgrade of the 360 controller.

>think of all the games you can play with an xbox 360 controller. no extra setup with other programs to make a controller recognizable.

>t. zoomer
Before Microsoft introduced the Xbox360 controller, games would recognize any generic USB controller automatically. AFTER Microsoft introduced the XBox360 controller, this was no longer the case.

Windows
Microsoft
Xbox

MS threw everyone else under the bus with xinput; i find it bemusing that we are supposed to cheer for the xbone disability controller yet for the longest time literal "human interface device" controllers were told to fuck off

?????
did you quote the wrong post

isn't that just a small quality increase for a small price increase?
the way that post was worded sounded like there were 80-120$ controllers that are far superior to the normal xbox controllers

My post is from a time when the xbone controller doesn't exist. Is English your 4th language?

Dark Souls 1 unironically - literally no one had a controller except for that stupid shit logitech one until this point. It's true.

Attached: 1547779447882.jpg (710x784, 90K)

okay then what were the hyper quality at ridiculous prices controllers at that time?

Plug and play, it is that easy.

Frogposter is an illiterate retard, what a surprise.

I can vaguely remember fancy Logitech ones. I'm not your carer go use Google faggot.

€40 for a controller that lasts years and works with everything isn't expensive IMO.

Attached: 50856cfc6b28c562b26d5205c389fa471488972935_large.jpg (200x191, 18K)

Is this yurofag a legitimate retard?

>perfected design
yea maybe if you have lego hands you fucking freak

Attached: GUEST_86a2d366-c826-4b38-8b23-12bb2bc8dbdf.jpg (488x488, 19K)

>Before Microsoft introduced the Xbox360 controller

Couch gaming was basically invented by Microsoft. PC gamers started to use controllers in the 360 gen. Before then it was M+KB.

And 8. And 7. And Vista. And XP Service Pack 1. And even most Linux distros from the past 10-15 years.
>what is xinput

Native support, plug and play. Compare that to MotioninJoy which was known for ads and bluescreens. It's pretty obvious why Xbox 360 controller got a head start.

I am a yurofag but I'm not that yurofag
I'm just genuinely curious as to what that user meant when he said there were significantly better controllers for a significantly higher price

the controller is so bulky it hurt my muscles after 20 minutes.playing a game shouldn't cause physical pain. much more of a fan of the playstation one.

i don't give a fuck about the positioning of the analog stick and buttons. it's fine.color and letter coding the button differently from the playstation one however was a cunt move. after a decade of playing PS1-2 reading " press the (blue) X" will always make me press the bottom one.

For me, it's the 8bitdo sn30 pro.

overly specialized ones like force feedback steering wheels and hori joysticks, maybe

>hurt my muscles after 20 minutes
>playing a game shouldn't cause physical pain
how's that soigh based diet treating you?

If you wanted to buy a new 360 controller it would cost you around one hundred dollars. If you want to buy a cheap knockoff (I have one, they feel too light and cheap), it's around thirty.

Attached: 1529068776818.gif (400x306, 1.95M)

oh yeah I didn't take into account he could be talking about specialized controllers like that instead of general ones
that makes a lot more sense

Then why did you ignore my response?
Stupid fuck

It's made for western male hands not soft nip bugperson hands

amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=pd_sim_147_2/133-2653464-2002327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003ZSN600&pd_rd_r=fb028783-3840-11e9-ba03-d93446ec90f0&pd_rd_w=4UEPW&pd_rd_wg=cA6zq&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=CZB7HSXWY24SVRRFXAM9&psc=1&refRID=CZB7HSXWY24SVRRFXAM9

dumbo

Holy shit how hard are you finding life now that mummy doesn't spoonfeed you?

what response?
are you high user?
I think you've lost it a little bit

I legitimately think you're a spastic.

I don't think they make wired Xbox360 controllers anymore.

What part of "new" dont you understand? Look at the pricing options. I dont want to pay sixty-seventy dollars for a used controller.

dumbo

You sound like you're projecting. Not him, but I sure as shit ain't paying $50 for a used controller I bought new for $30 years ago.

weird, amazon.com doesn't sell them
ebay.com & most likely physical stores still will tho
if you really wanna buy from amazon you can always just buy the xbox one controller which is basically the same shit

It is more durable than the xbone controllers

ruined

How can you find the time to type with dicks constantly penetrating every orifice?

Yeah, hence why they are so expensive. I guess if I'm going to be that picky, it's going to cost me. I have a xbone controller, it just feel differently, the weight is off.

DS4 is the best PC controller

For children maybe

I'm looking at ebay now. Mostly knock off. There is one new oem that's at $37 with 4 days of bidding left.
Wish I had bought like five when they were on sale at Amazon for $20.

Because it was relatively cheap, sold everywhere and you could just plug it in to any windows PC and it'd work.

The forced xInput standard.
It's a terrible controller that fucked up the entire peripheral industry. You could still use DirectInput, but virtually nothing supports it unless the devs go way out of their way to implement it, or you go out of your way to use a DInput-to-XInput middleware to emulate an xinput controller (with the same limits as an xinput controller, making the effort pointless).

Nah just an objective statement

the money poured in to the ergonomics for the 360 controller was insane.

It has the most work put in to it out of any controller to make it the most comfortable button/stick layout and design of just holding the thing.

It is objectively the best controller out there.

I'm sorry but most posters here don't have girly nip hands so it's objectively false

This but the bugmen will reeeee at you

I just got this bad boy today for 30$. What I am in for?

Attached: f31053581.png (650x388, 44K)

Because it was natively compatible and ports obviously already had native controller support for it.

That being said, now that the ps4 controller is supported I haven't used it in the past 5 years.

>What made it the standard for PC controllers? I personally do not like it
Microsoft owning Windows and as a result Xinput being the main API used for controller inputs on PCs. It also worked out of the box with very little if any configuration needed and most games natively supported it due to the aforementioned prominence of Xinput. Other controllers often needed bound with something like joy2key or other 3rd party software. 360 controller have been as simple as plugging it in and Windows will natively run it with no additional configuration. That all being said controller compatibility is a bit better nowadays with Steam natively supporting the Switch Pro controller and DS4 with better 3rd party programs being available then what was available for the DS3.

tl;dr: Microsoft being the creator of the controller, Windows, and the Xinput API is why it became the standard.

This. 360 Controller is a pain in the ass to find nowadays and the Xbox one gamepad really does feel off. All you need is steam and DS4Windows for non-steam games.
If i had to choose, I’d go for Xbox 360 transformer controller (pictelated) any day

Attached: 8F439C2D-1973-4F5F-9394-CFB377B7168D.jpg (3078x2462, 3.24M)

Smallest shoulder buttons in the world, unconfortable weight distribution (top heavy instead of bottom heavy). No vibration if it's not the newest model and be lucky you did not go with the wireless option that cuts out ever 20 seconds for 1 second. This controller right there is the reason I bought a Xbox One Controller with the wireless adaptar which cost me 2 times as much as that controller. If you live in an EU country remember that you can return that trash within 14 days even if it works as intended.

It is, but wireless it sucks. Tried to different bluetooth adapters with constant disconnects. Using it wired wore out the port and now I get constant disconnects as well if the cable gets in an awkward position. Plus sometimes I needed to restart DS4Windows or whatever it was called for the gamepad to be recognized in a game and sometimes even a restart was needed. I recently switched to the Xbox One controller and I don't regret it a second, even though it's the controller that feels worse IMO.

Oh, and the d-pad feels really bad as well. The X1 controller may not be nintendo tier, but it wipes the floor with that gamepad's.

Attached: IMG_9036.jpg (4000x3000, 3.56M)

clean your desk retard

It works out of the box
It's comfy

Or this

Attached: PCGC-400ES_ON.png (800x800, 258K)

It's old photo.

>10 Euro usb controller
>shitty buttons, ghost inputs, shitty haptics out of the box
>breaks after a few weeks
Money well spent, friend!

A shame they blew so much money on something that is terrible to hold. The xbox series of controllers feel like they were meant for little kid hands.

That's not the XBO Contoller.

And you're a moron if you still haven't realized Xbox is made by Microsoft.

>Says this as he posts the ultimate Lego controller

Microsoft sabotaged console ports with the 360 SDK by forcing a new API when the already existing DirectInput was perfectly fine. One of the few only upsides to Sony crushing Microsoft utterly this gen is that it paved the way for DirectInput to return under DS4.

>That's not the XBO Contoller.
You're right, it's the controller that's been in use on PC for almost a decade and a half, genius.

Literally the wrong way round. dualshock is for kids and japs. Xbox controllers are actually comfortable for white men

Microsoft made and and build the drivers into windows. The kids wont' remember, but controllers on PC were a bit of a mess before the Xbox controller. They were handled by Dinput and each developer came up with how they dealt with the input on their own. Each controller had different buttons. Some devs were greats, some didn't support controllers at all, others horribly fucked it up.
Microsoft forced a standard, they built everything into windows so the lazy devs couldn't fuck it up and they could recycle their controller code from the Xbox.
Controllers wouldn't advance again until Valve started building controller support into Steam. This is again because it is plug and play and game devs are lazy.

Only in Xinput games. In any pre-2006 game that used dinput whether it would work depended on the game's dinput implementation. Playing a racing game that uses the triggers? Tough shit, they're bound to each half of the Z axis. Want to use the triggers as buttons? Tough shit if the game doesn't let you bind triggers to actions.
The most plug n play friendly controllers are the Logitech ones with the dinput/xinput switch. But those controllers are pretty shit quality wise. The definitive PC controller at present is the DualShock 4 with DS4Windows, it functions as both a dinput controller natively, a rebindable dinput controller through 360 pad emu, and a full Xinput pad through 360 emu. There are very little games you can't configure to work through it.

>maybe if you have lego hands
user, stop and take a look at what you just posted.

Attached: lego-accessories-minifig-tile-1x2-vehicle-control-panel-dark-bluish-gray.jpg (600x600, 39K)

>definitive
Nah it's still the 360 controller

I bought a second one a few years back to prepare for when I’d need a replacement and when I finally opened it, it was defective.

>Xbox controllers are actually comfortable for overweight men
fixed

Utter cope from the soiboi

The Dualshock design is wrong though given the placement of the left stick. Microsoft fixed that but sony are stuck with it in the wrong place

Legitimate question: Why would you ever buy something as a backup and not check it before hand to make sure it's functioning before the warranty runs out?

is it possible to find an original xbox controller(those giant black monsters from halo) for pc? My hands are huge and fight sticks cant play for honor

Attached: external screaming.jpg (1920x1080, 139K)

You can't read?

It was supported out of the box in most games at a time where we didn't have something as convenient as Steam controller support, any drivers you needed were easily and officially available, it used standard batteries and it was pretty comfortable to hold and use. I still have mine, still works great, though at this point it has been superseded by the much superior Steam controller.

I have large hands (used n64 controller without shifting from outside) and the 360 is fine, I never had a problem with the xbox controller either. PS controllers on the other hand, the "claw" just feels wrong to me.

And yet it had inferior ergonomics compared to the japanese folded one hundred times Xbox S model. Typical amerilards.

Attached: Xbox-s-controller.jpg (2980x2660, 2.7M)

>The Dualshock design is wrong though given the placement of the left stick.
This is how you spot a member of the Modern Warfare 2 generation.

is it possible to use xbox s controller on pc?

Attached: 1445939339454.png (1280x720, 1.31M)

Blocks your path.

Attached: Capture+_2019-02-24-09-26-02.png (1342x1195, 1.61M)

They actually remade those for fans a year ago, I'm sure if you look online you will find one.

Nice d-pad.

The analog stick was literally a secondary feature when sony was first designing controllers. It is now the primary control method for gaming. It's just logical that it would go where sony originally placed the primary control method (the dpad). This is just pure logic.

Probably. I don't know what it uses as API, but its plug is just a remodeled USB.

Dark Souls 2 for me, though I did have the stupid shit logitech one.
I played through DaS1 with only a keyboard and then DaS2 came along and didn't let me rebind my keys the way I did before and I had to use tab instead of capslock or some shit.
I can't remember exactly how terrible it was but I beat the game without summoning or grinding out levels so it worked. Sometimes it even worked for PvP.

The best gamepads are ones with fully functioning keyboards on them.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (500x500, 34K)

microsoft.com/en-us/p/hyperkin-duke-wired-controller/8XM0XHX3MK23/BZ52

i love you with all of my heart

Attached: 1444759484844.jpg (503x518, 55K)

i got average male hands and i even used to play piano.

I know the mutts are struggling to wrap their heads around this one, but luckily I can provide a simple infographic that puts this discussion to rest.

DS4 is the current standard, for new games and old.

Attached: pcgamepads.jpg (1200x1444, 391K)

Lightbar and touchpad are both negatives. Gyro too, but that doesn't eat as much battery so I'll let it slide.

>having inputs on an input device is a negative
>doesn't like a cool light you can change the colour of or turn off if it triggers you so much.
Even if they were negatives for you, it's still better than a 360 pad.

You can disable touchpad and lighbar in DS4Windows settings

>battery

>having worthless inputs on wireless input device burning precious battery time is a negative
Yes.
>doesn't like a cool light
Are you six?

You can't actually turn off the touchpad, it's a waste, it only serves to double as the two physical buttons it replaced.

>playing 2d fighters on a pad

Attached: 1439258101251.jpg (512x512, 54K)

Why are there so many fags here shilling dualshit?

>there are people here that don't plug in a dual shock and actually play with microsofts piece of shit controller
we posting our faces when lads

Attached: 1547820811951.gif (156x216, 1.07M)

is the dpad actually better?
i saw it for 30 bucks (used) at a facebook marketplace

stop shilling sony retard
by the way where's the ability to make the sticks not positioned like a retard?
also where's the wired version?

I personally don't like your mother but she's still the town's cumdumpster explain that huh

>people use an actual good controller instead of dual shock
really suprising

Razer Sabertooth/Wolverine I guess.

The latter is like 100 euros or something.

It is totally comfortable.

the standard controller is the 5$ USB controller and the mouse, or maybe a converted snes pad if you can find a real one

who the fuck in their right mind uses an official microsoft product for anything, I can't explain to you, I know there are plenty of those people

As in the DS4 wired version? The wired version is just plugging a cable, lmao. I forgot MS still pulls that kikeshit.

Sonygaf refugees

>mfw

Sony are dogshit and the PS4 has no games. But when it's all said and done the DualShock 4 is simply more supported and configurable on PC than the 360 pad. Nothing else to it.
Also, the sticks not being in retarded positions is part of the DS4 out of the box. Unfortunately it's the 360 pad that needs modifying to fix the stick positions.

Attached: Dy_FHc3VsAAkc6a.jpg large.jpg (700x396, 24K)

which one actually lasts longer? xbox1 or ds4?
i just want a controller that lasts like 6-8 years

>The wired version is just plugging a cable
ah yeah the good old "looool just plug it in" shit
big yikes
if you honestly think "just plug it in" is a good argument for having no wired option, you don't belong here

I'd rather get a ps4 for the 2 games it has than use a DS4 controller

the rubber on my xbox one controller started coming off the thumbs after 2 years of tekken 6 and 7 games

>The controller your sister gets cuz she doesn't know any better

>Couch gaming was basically invented by Microsoft. PC gamers started to use controllers in the 360 gen. Before then it was M+KB.
Bullshit. I used controllers for console ports long before the xbox360 controller came out.

360 one was a fucking monster that was nearly impossible to kill and even if you fucked something over it was extremely easy to fix & I've fixed quite a lot of issues that arose from smashing my controller against the wall or my desk that have saved me from buying a new one
not sure how easy ds4 is to fix or how easy xb1 is. But I feel like the 360 one was made to be opened by users & have everything be easily fixable.
Taking a glance at some ds4 repair videos it looks like way more of a mess

I have PS4 and Xbone pads. Both are fine, but PS4 lies better in my hands.

Rule of thumb says if you didn't buy a Sony controller near launch, you're getting a cheap revised chink piece of shit. My launch DS4 which was supposed to have its analog sticks' rubber destroyed by now is still standing, but that might have to do with me using thumb caps on them. Pretty sturdy desu, the people complaining must have gotten the Slim version with the grey buttons and thumbs.

Nigger, that is the wired option. Only Microsoft dares selling controllers that don't do both wired and wireless.

XInput simply became the gold standard. Then for some reason Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to fuck with it on Windows 8/10 with Xbone controllers.

>tfw your sister buys the bbc(big black controller) and plays halo 1 with rumble on while firing the 60 round magazine on the assault rifle

Attached: 1441993116048.png (421x500, 249K)

>hugely popular pc gaming os
>made by the same company who made a hugely popular console
>which uses said controller
>usb connection
hmmmmmm if you really have to ask you might want to get your brain checked

xbox360 is my second favorite but god the dpad is garbage
is the transformative dpad version any better?

x1 is better.

This. The controller made for MEN.

>if you honestly think "just plug it in" is a good argument for having no wired option
What did he mean by this?

no clue

>Nigger, that is the wired option. Only Microsoft dares selling controllers that don't do both wired and wireless.
you could use the wireless controller "wired" though

luckily they're not so stupid as to remove the actual wired option

It has all the buttons you need and is ergonomic. I would prefer playstation controllers for button mashing however it is super easy to get crappy 3rd party xbox controller for the pc from gamestop every handful of years.

fine with modern 3D games, but the moment I needed exact precision with a d-pad in 2D and older 3d games through emulation (pre-analog stick PS1 games for example), is when i grew disillusioned with it. placement is just awkward and it's just not ideal in quality.

unless someone can recommend me a much better controller with a solid d-pad (I'm talking Saturn quality), nowadays the DS4 is my go to option for the ok d-pad and it's placement. far from plug&play, but DS4W isn't a major inconvenience so far.

yes

Are you a spastic? Obviously ms put the analogy stick in the right place

Wait, wait, you actually believe DS4 can't do wired?

>triggers are the signed difference between both triggers
Not an issue as you clearly can program around it. 360Controller on Mac will run the rumble motors at a frequency relative to how far each trigger is depressed as well as display a percentage bar in it's system preferences window indicating how far the trigger is down.
You can feel and see the difference between two positions that in theory sum to the same value

>What made [the Microsoft owned controller] the standard for [Microsoft owned OS] controllers?
OP please. At least it's comfy, we could have been stuck with SNES style controllers. My only issue is that the button layout is odd for XYAB

not really seeing the appeal with the touchpad. sure, it's basically a laptops' mouse pad with LMB+RMB clicks you can program as a start / select button (actual placement of those buttons are just shit), or whatever else you'd fancy, but it's just awkward to press a flat space where the select button would be in some older games, say in DMC4 when taunting.

it doesn't have a wired version no, the best you can do is "wired" which is significantly inferior if you don't care about the wireless functionality, since it just significantly increased the bulkiness and gives you an inferior connection

I just wish I could get a DS4 without the retarded touchpad. DS2 with native USB support would be ideal, but that's never going to happen.

the fuck you talking about? negative 100 plus 100 is 0.

It's literally a meme and you can get a better controller for the same price.

What the fuck are you even talking about.

Attached: 61qexQlSPxL._SL1058_.jpg (1058x792, 83K)

plugging a cable in a wireless device isn't the same as having a wired device

a controller that cheap is gonna have horrific build quality, 360 pad is a good middle ground.

literally what the FUCK are you talking about? are you having a stroke user?

It doesn't matter, it's still possible to tell the difference between LT 50% down, RT 25% down and LT 75% down, RT 50% down, or any other combination that still sums to the same value

No it isn't you absolute retard. They cancel each other out.