In retrospect what is your opinion on FF9? Was it better than 7?

In retrospect what is your opinion on FF9? Was it better than 7?

Attached: FF9-1.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dsogaming.com/news/final-fantasy-9-receives-an-esrgan-ai-enhanced-beta-hd-texture-pack-available-for-download/
sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/
google.com/search?q=misnomer&rlz=1C1GCEA_enNZ785NZ785&oq=misnomer&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best FF, period.

This. The biggest problem is how it just kind of drops Freya’s story part way through. Other than that it’s a damn, near perfect game and FF was never as good after it.

later installments made me hate the futuristic settings. If it was just 7 it was fine but not better than 9.

Attached: 1512090781333.jpg (500x700, 67K)

It was okay.
I liked 7 ( a lot) more. The battles were too slow in 9, plus, the world building, story felt 'fake'and contrived, where somehow I felt 7 was believable (or at least more coherent).
I wstill don't 'get' the 9 card game.
And I like the equipping/ unequipping sound effect of materia.

Happy now OP?

its the most final fantasy of all the ff games
its not nomura shit, it plays exactly like what a ff game supposed to be like, with the 4 fiends and all that.

It's a solid game with a great story and characters.

Attached: Garnet and Edea butt buddies.png (989x1040, 837K)

It feels like the most complete package FF game of the series to me. It is my personally favorite only just above 7.

No. Battle pacing alone kills it.

also the superboss isnt a super dragon retard with high hp. hes just fast and counters everything you do, making him sometimes impossible to beat.

Zidane is scum and he's lucky he didn't hang like the amoral thief he is.

It's the only actually consistently good FF game after the series went 3D

FF7 was pretty good too for the most part, everything else that came after is shit

What's a good JRPG for beginners?

>your opinion on FF9?

Attached: Coffee Man.jpg (840x572, 239K)

FFIV with the NA lowered difficulty.

Chrono Trigger

I like it, but it's the weakest of the PSX games.
VIII > VII > Tactics > IX

Zidane becomes too busted when you want your characters to have permanent abilities and he's constantly getting stronger and stronger.

There's something just not quite right with IX fans.

Was okay. But no.

It dragged in a lot of places. And most of its cast is pointless. You could probably sheer the story down to just Vivi, Zidane, and Garnet with a little bit tighter writing without losing anything. And I say this while loving my mouse girl.

But that is the other part it just drops plotlines hard sometimes that feel not really finished even when you get a conclusion to them. Not FF12 unfinished, but still somewhat.

I never got to finish it though maybe it picks up in later discs, but disc two dragged and I can't remember much of disc 3.

boss battle is pretty banger

ff9 was the best but i still put ff6 higher because it was the first i played
ff7 is a solid 3rd

Oddly enough the game does this with a lot of characters. After Freya fights side by side with Beatrix her arch kind of dies of with a small spurt of 'Muh Homeland' and disregarding her entire love interest. Eiko pretty much has up to the Iifa tree then becomes summoner #2 (or the better WHM honestly) but little is connected with the summoner village again besides Garland and lets not get into how poorly Amarant was implemented. I don't want to say the characters might be the weakest part of the game seeing as Vivi can make up for all of it but a lot of it gets out shadowed by every other aspect (Besides Vivi. Even Zidane's arch feels boring compared to Vivi.)

Attached: Original four fiends.jpg (1280x720, 134K)

I tried Final Fantasy 8 but Indidnt play it right, apparently you were supposed to find other GFs abs draw magic and stuff. I got to the final boss but all she did was 1 shit me because I was level 99 and apparently enemies scale to your level.

And it just seems I always fuck myself over like this. I have never once finished a JRPG but I've put 40 hours into a lot or them. I guess I finished Super Mario RPG.

Derailing the thread but how was the bravely default series? Was thinking of picking it up

Attached: 1549237127064.gif (250x250, 259K)

6 did wonders with just sprites
somehow it has similar feel as 9 dont know why

The battle length was a TRULY LEGITIMATE problem for a game that relied heavily on battles. You would instantly stop in your tracks with freeze frame, then, reducing all the factors you possible could, the intro and outro to every battle alone lasted around 42 seconds watching the camera spin about wildly or have your monkey do backward flips in victory, doing nothing. The battle, itself, was entirely slow, too, and repeated stealing LOWERED chances of the 3% success rate, despite no knowledge of what that enemy might have and the fact you could miss it, never seeing that enemy again.

The story was fine enough, trough to the middle.
The setting was quite comfy and satisfying.
But the gameplay was a slog.

Attached: 1506136996901.jpg (600x630, 469K)

t. Steiner

Do it. when Bravely Default came out people complained that at one point the game repeats itself too much and feels like a poor co-out for content. No spoilers but it has a place in the story and while it happens more side content becomes relevant. If you like plot twists, breaking the fuck of the mechanics, and some good turn based challenges the game is a solid choice. Bravely Second is much of the same.

Attached: 1543259172085.jpg (599x675, 59K)

Liked it a lot more when I was younger. Hate it now.

The combat is slow and doesn't have enough build customization compared to other FFs of its time. The setting is boring and the races are all furry shit. Characters are generally overrated. Zidane, especially, is all style over substance, and his final inning plot twist to try to give the game a personality crisis that people expected from every FF game at that point feels forced and insulting to the entries that came before/after it.

>doesn't have enough build customization
if you want clusterfuck costumization play ff8

>epeated stealing LOWERED chances of the 3% success rate
Good to know I can learn new things about this game and it is something to dislike. It is my favorite but good to acknowledge bad things about it. Zidane is the worst thief fuck.

>Not FF12 unfinished,
XII was not "unfinished." Was purposefully set to be vague as its stated over and over and over that it's not meant to be the fabled story all Ivalice should remember. Its story was different. And beyond especially the writing, don't claim the graphics, design or gameplay still needed PS2 finishing work.

Attached: Fran's VA.jpg (266x399, 21K)

I would prefer to, honestly.

Breaking the junction system is more fun than anything in IX.

Ultimecia is impossible to reach level 99 and at the level she "scales" to your level 99, she cannot 1 shot you.

You whine because you couldn't get your Commands back from the castle.

Attached: Ultemicia's Castle Entrance.gif (496x368, 260K)

nothing is better than FF7. FF9 is just an easy cookie cutter jrpg.

Very good game with a fun story. Be warned, there is a good bit of repetition, so if you're not into that kind of thing, it may put you off. Otherwise, it's well-made and has a great job system.

Attached: Edea wants the booty.png (850x940, 1.16M)

Well Mario RPG was definitely a good starting point, probably even better than what I suggested. I've never played FFVIII but I've heard about that level scaling issue. Other FFs don't have that, at least not the ones I've played.

I thought you could turn off the battle intros. Were QoL changes like that and the fast forward added in rereleases? I assume so for the latter at least.

Using Zidane's "Scan" skill was basically necessary, as it would (marginally) increase success rate. It became essential to use on EVERY new enemy you ever came across to determine if it had anything to steal at all. And then it was practically required if you actually wants to steal that dagger from the Black Mage or the Fairy Flute from the Hill Gigas.

Attached: Queen Brahne was impressed.gif (270x270, 2.03M)

I dont fuckong understand what they were going for when they introduced the genome shit and aliens but atleast it wasnt as retarded as 4s idea. Game starts off strong but falls off pretty badly near the end.

>It dragged in a lot of places. And most of its cast is pointless. You could probably sheer the story down to just Vivi, Zidane, and Garnet with a little bit tighter writing without losing anything.
I agree that this would fix a lot of the problems with the story but I don't see how you can leave out Steiner. He had really good character development and was there from the beginning, not just some meme furry to pander to fucking retards.

FFVIII had level scaling (more reliant on what enemy you encountered than their level) but it was FFII that is hounded for your own STAT scaling: you literally increased stats if your characters used an action that relied on them. It broke practically instantly.

>XII was not "unfinished." Was purposefully set to be vague as its stated over and over and over that it's not meant to be the fabled story all Ivalice should remember. Its story was different. And beyond especially the writing, don't claim the graphics, design or gameplay still needed PS2 finishing work.

No it was unfinished as said but the writer.

As in the script writer said they didn't get to half of it. The game changed director 3 times and a lot of staff as it got endlessly delayed and they were worried with the PS3 coming soon they wouldn't sell enough so the last director kicked that shit out of the door unfinished.

FF7 has a crap load of cut content too its just more of that was side stuff too but credits roll on 12 when you feel like you are at a mid-boss you just auto to death and it turns out it was the end. Cut content in games is fairly common but the amount of Chekhov's Gun in FF12 is huge.

I liked the game I'm glad it tried something new. But yes the story was not done. The AI was derpy as fuck and easy to manipulate which needed a lot more polish. The side content was dull and a waste of time. I'll claim whatever the fuck I see. It used PS2 very well, but the story was not done.

Turning off battle intros removed about 8 seconds off the FULL intro: you still had to sit through the remainder of the intro. Intros and outros truly took more than half-a-minute every. single. battle. you. fought. No matter what you did to decrease their length. Never mind the actual ATB wait, character actions and HEAVEN FORBID you try summoning anything.

The plot is really bad.
The first disc is great. After that it goes off the rails into typical "shitty final fantasy" plot land where they throw every poorly implemented cliche in the book at you.
The battle system is far inferior to FFVII. The materia system gave you choice. FFIX's system is just "grind the skill on your weapon, then put all your skills on to be op"
The only really great stuff in FFIX are the backgrounds and the music, and by great I mean by video game standards.

Him being there from the beginning and likeable doesn't make him have a point. I liked Freya a lot but her story felt tacked the fuck on and forgotten half way in. There is a lot to like in FF9 I just think it was a cute fun game. Not everything was out to be a moving plot point and a lot of the roles were just filled in to fill a spot. Poor Eiko's whole purpose is to tell Garnet hey your a summoner and nothing else. Poor girl could have been replaced by a scroll or something.

ff7 graphic is complete shit. i really hate the chibi low poly overworld sprites. they're ugly as fuck and have prmitive animations.

The story was Ivalice. FFXII only showed a part, as it was meant to. You, the player, would never "know" it was unfinished unless the author(s) told you so and you wanted to hear it. The game is very long and has a LOT of story to give. So many people think that because they don't see the result of tearing "hist'ry's weave from the Occuria" beyond Ashe receiving a letter from Penelo saying hi, the game must be unfinished.

Most authors would claim their story is "unfinished" if given the chance. Not just from prospect of selling more of their writings, but because it doesn't fit a single story. They want more of their ideas to be shared, but can't fit it beyond 60+ hours of video game on the PS2.

Attached: 1519518111578.jpg (1280x800, 236K)

It was the final fantasy game in the series.

Attached: 1447141624484.jpg (225x267, 37K)

Im playing it rn now. Can i install that graphic mod mid save? Or do i have to start a new game?

>Most authors would claim their story is "unfinished" if given the chance.
Not true in the slightest.

Yes it is the best FF

Post your art.

I'm curious, any nintendo only diehards playing for the first time? Or have you played it before?

>You, the player, would never "know" it was unfinished unless the author(s) told you so and you wanted to hear it.

Actually I went looking after the game felt like it ended at a half way point and going back for any of the side stuff seemed shitty.

>Most authors would claim their story is "unfinished" if given the chance.
This was a game running out of time to come out while its platform was still relevant or so they thought. Book author's don't have to worry that there won't be a way to read books in a few month's if they don't hurry the hell up.

>They want more of their ideas to be shared, but can't fit it beyond 60+ hours of video game on the PS2.
The game was long from filler. And yes I'm talking about this games version of Sasuke, shoved in for a demographic. But even the summons themselves in the game were a pointless waste of time you could speed through faster without, so it was more than just the pointless part of the cast.

Claim "Ivalice" was the story all you want but you are still wrong. This is stuff from the creators that made it. And even without that it left things hanging for its own characters. You open an intro about a guys brother, have scenes where he is a ghostly image hinting around at things, and your resolution to his death is a few lines of 'fuck it I got over it'. That is some lazy ass shit.

Filler got put in by marketing and shoved out the rest of the actual game for time. And how that happens when your plot is a carbon copy of a movie I don't even know. Cool ideas, but unfinished. You can disagree, but hey I hear flatearther's are recruiting I think you may like them.

fpbp

Attached: beatrix.jpg (500x707, 130K)

I think its better in certain aspects but definitely way less iconic than 7

Played when I was little in PS1, giving it a replay in Switch now that im older.

I'm not really a nintendo diehard but it is my first time.
I'm playing right now, is breddy gud.
Freya a best

>its the most final fantasy of all the ff games
This.

One of the best and certainly the best PS1 title.

1,5,9,12,13,15 by console generation.

Steiner does have a point. He's basically the princess's loyal retainer which is a classic trope and his development involves growing from blind loyalty to learning to question and make his own decisions.
The main 4 are actually a great cast. They're all archetypes in a game that was supposed to be an archetypal fantasy. The daring rouge, the misfit mage, the beautiful princess, and the loyal knight. They all work well together. It only starts going to shit when Freya gets involved and all the furry shit starts.

It's to close a call for me, but both are atleast my top 2 favorite Final Fantasys.
I also like 1 and 6.

Attached: 1550148329194.jpg (720x897, 105K)

I personally enjoyed it more than 7. Something about the world and characters was really great.

How's the Steam port?

Every writer has their stories chopped down because they reach for unattainable heights. By that shitty standard, almost every game is considered unfinished if concepts don't make it to launch

Serviceable. UI is absolutely horrendous, feels like it has some input delay imo.

>Never played any FF before
>Got FF7 on Steam Sale last summer
>Have yet to even touch it
>Now it’s coming to Switch, which I’m more likely to play it on, because muh portability
I really don’t like buying the same game twice. What do, Yea Forums?

Attached: 5EDEE2BE-D061-4D43-9638-CCE4033FE49A.jpg (557x495, 93K)

If you actually cared so much you've been able to play it portable for over a decade now. Go ahead and waste your money.

I think I'll wait for a sale and get Chrono Trigger instead then.
>Square Enix sale
>Absolutely no discount on FFIX

just emulate them dont give enix money

I kept resetting the console to win what was apparently a scripted to lose fight. So... once I got over that disappointment, it's a great game.

Also I'm one of the poor fools who bought the guidebook "CHECK OUT PLAYONLINE FOR THE ACTUAL INFORMATION YOU STUPID FUCK"

...Kinda wish I still had that. It was surprisingly thick.

I already played CT, I just want to have them on Steam for the overlay, achievements and screenshots. I understand if you hate me for this, I can't help it.

I'd argue that 10 was a good game, and the last good one, but 9 was fantastic.

Attached: Garnet and Eiko.png (551x766, 598K)

10 was abominably bad
I still remember when it came out. The only people I knew who liked it were like 10 years old

Definitely not better.
>worst combat system of any jRPG ever
>some characters become irrelevant very fast
>summons are useless
>trance, while being strong as fuck, is mostly wasted on random, shit tier enemies
It's among the better FF because characters, atmosphere and story, but falls flat on most other stuff, whereas 7 gives you a good package.

The only thing 7 gives you is autism.

>summons are useless
uhh.. no?

What would you like to see in a faithful remake of IX?

>Voice acting, with toggle in case it sucks
>Fleshed out character stories that fell dead in the original (Freya & Fratley, Amarant, Necron)
>Orchestrated soundtrack by Uematsu
>Maybe an epilogue, I'd like to know how the Vivi clones came about even though the mist was gone
>Open ending for a sequel

Attached: 1440357882904.png (768x1024, 1.31M)

If you haven't even touched it you can probably still refund it, it'll pop up saying they don't usually refund after a couple weeks but I've never been denied.

If the game let you stock trances, then everyone would just save them to one-shot bosses. Their sporadic nature is a lot better and fits the theme of their purpose a lot more.

>abominably bad
stop being dramatic, I think if you'd poll most fans of the final fantasy franchise, most people would say 10 was the last good one and after is where it started to fall off. you can dislike the game yourself, but that doesn't mean it was trash.

>>summons are useless

Yea, the summon that does fire damage to every enemy and casts life on your entire party is "useless". Holy shit.

good shit but I always that the part with Zidane's depression was unneeded drama
Combat intro is way too long

I made all my guys lvl100 and had no issues finishing the game.

As somebody who never managed to finish X I'll agree that it has some of the best gameplay but it's really frontloaded with annoying characters that can make it real tough to stick with. Tidus and Wakka get better but I can't blame people for dropping it when they're all over the first several hours.

>somebody insulted my favoirite game, better insult him!
You 9 fags are the worst.

Except they are. Their damage is pretty subpar. To strenghten them you need to farm those gems, or loee them in case of Odin, and even with max/min gems their damage still isn't good.

That's true and what I meant with "being strong as fuck". But it really isn't satisfying when a trance goes off to a weak mob.

>being so bad you need and AoE revive
lol

>there will never be a true HD remake of resident evil 1

Attached: map069_background.jpg (960x448, 629K)

I suspect Trance being so unreliable was an overreaction to Limit being so fucking broken in 8

Make Quina more than just a character that's just there to fill out the party when there's less than four plot characters

kinda shows how not a good mechanic
It either makes bosses a cake walk or you never find a perfect time to use it

>of
like*

>Tidus and Wakka get better but I can't blame people for dropping it when they're all over the first several hours.

This is correct, but I think people should play up until the end of the blitzball game and AHAHAHAH Scene then give it another 2-3 hours if you don't like it after that.

I usually just walk away for 5mins when the AHAHAHA scene is playing.

>sindoll made a Freya doujinshi
My life is complete.

Attached: 002.png (2120x3025, 1.98M)

Zidane is never depressed in the entire game. His soul gets removed and he becomes a dick for 5 minutes, but that's about it. Really confused how story elements go over people's head like that. It's pretty obvious.

Fuck that looks good. I wish the AI mod looked half as good as that

Too restrictive. Forcing party members on you until Disk 3, not letting you use summons until near the end of Disk 2, not giving you any mode of transportation until the end of Disk 2 (with the useful one coming midway through Disk 3.) Forcing you to spend so much of each battle Eating/Stealing from enemies if you cared about building your characters. The only "optional" area of the first two disks is Chocobo's Forest and that's just a minigame.

It's not a bad game, it's pretty good all things considered, but there is absolutely zero freedom offered compared to the other Final Fantasy games.

Attached: sFAQumY.jpg (1025x1300, 439K)

why though? that scene was supposed to be a cute awkward stress relief between tidus and yuna, it was meant to be like that from the start.

Attached: scncap_16-4-2016.jpg (1280x896, 336K)

I just would want them to keep all of the original tracks and not change any of them, or feel the need to "update" them, the music was so good.

>Ah, Chris.
>7 minutes. 7 minutes all I have to spare with you.

Attached: Alexandria Reception Hall Top.jpg (1000x867, 250K)

FF threads really taught me the average gamer is a fucking retard who probably mashes through text.

Attached: X2R78OO.jpg (800x512, 110K)

Game had way too many antagonists.

>Black Waltz
>No wait its Brahne
>No wait its Kuja
>No wait its Garland
>No wait its Kuja again
>No wait its really Necron
>Oh and lol we'll have the entire cast and a race of people mourn Kuja's death and thank him for showing them how to live despite the fact that he genocided an entire race, started a world war, killed family members of the party and decimated most of the planet. He may have even killed the party and done nothing to redeem himself, but we'll let people mourn him and prop him up as a role model.

Decades later and I cant let that Kuja redemption slide. Wouldn't be so bad, but Square just pulled the exact same shit in Kingdom Hearts 3.

My favorite is VII.

I didnt play IX til many years later and it is easily my second favorite. The presentation and world atmosphere is probably one of the best. The weak points would definitely be the villians, Kuja just seems like a passing threat than a actual dread, and Necro is a terrible excuse for a plot twist and the end.

It's unironically a fun, redpilled game

Black Waltz was always just a regular boss. The only ass pull was Necron.

Attached: AlexandriaByTheSteeple.png (528x432, 258K)

>remake built from the ground up with new models and painstakingly rebuilt areas
>90s midi soundtrack

if you are a braindead fool who doesnt want a challenge or story then i would go for mario/earthbound. its just like pokemon, walk some feet press a 100 times to finish dialouge and repeat until you fight some obscure final boss

>its the most final fantasy of all the ff games

Comparitive to which ones? Theyre all fantasy and while 6 and on have lots of sci fi elements the earlier ones are super old school medieval fantasy.

It was when FF died. It started all the worst trends, super linearity, no exploration whatsoever until the end of the game when you've already been everywhere, time spent watching cutscenes outnumbering time spent playing the game. 10 and 13 followed suit, and every problem with those games is also present in 9.

I thought all the original backgrounds were lost. Does this mean they can be modded back in?

apparently most of them are lost. but i say thats just an excuse. backgrounds can be redrawn. they just dont see a profit in all that work.

Its the only playstation FF I like but I feel like there were loads of story concepts that were just kind of dropped or not very well thought out.

The early hours of the game seemed to be setting them up for something more, especially Black Waltz #3 who survived his initial encounter, went insane, got a whole CGI chase sequence through the gate to Lindblum and seemed to be a perfect foil for Vivi. Then he got shrecked by Steiner nonchalantly. I really thought they were going to do something with him. Maybe not primary antagonist, but the Seifer to Vivi's Squall.

Attached: Zidane's coming for that booty.png (640x480, 560K)

Chrono Trigger is a great choice. Fast-paced and shorter than the usual 60 hour epic, it is fun and filler-free. And the combat is deep without getting complex.

If you don't mind a shit-ton of dialouge, Golden Sun is also a good choice. It has a lot of combat customizability and skews to the easy side, meaning anyway you want to play is valid and you won't get punished for not optimizing your builds.

>Kilika

Attached: 1505745231703.png (1080x1029, 154K)

What do you think their first fuck was like?

Attached: 1461098481853.png (1280x960, 2.16M)

dumb furry

I've developed a complex where I no longer want to play any JRPGs with anything but a handheld device. I've seen XII on sale on PS a few times, and continue to abstain because I think about not playing it handheld and lose all interest.

Freya is perfect.

Attached: a40d89110f76ab4155827beeb5e0d6a1.jpg (900x1297, 249K)

>It started all the worst trends, super linearity, no exploration whatsoever until the end of the game when you've already been everywhere, time spent watching cutscenes outnumbering time spent playing the game
What the hell are you talking about? All those trends have been going since fucking IV.

What's the deal with Necron he came out of the blue

A lot of anal, think that one doujin where the dude has a girlfriend who's a magazine model that constantly shows off her ass.

Attached: Garnet cleaning.png (1785x1377, 1.36M)

FF had sci-fi elements since the very first game.

The best doujin is the one where the girls all rape Zidane, and make him into a prostitute.

Attached: SaHa_Final_Phantasy_01.jpg (776x1096, 191K)

name 1

what? it just sounds like you're not a fan of final fantasy style rpgs in general, because most final fantasy games were like that.

iv isn't the best but it absolutely doesn't have bad cutscene vs gameplay balance, not even the remake

Not him but isnt the super random encounter a mech? Warmech or whatever you call it?

magic

How about you play the games you fucking moron.
Even FF 1 had airships, robot enemies and advanced technology ruins.
Literally every FF has robot enemies.
3 has a fucking artificial floating continent, 4 has you fly to the moon.

what do you want exactly? there are like 30min of cutscenes in 9 in total, but the game itself depending on how fast you go is between 15-30 hours long.

magic

my favorite final fantasy. the world felt alive

This pic is why I love FFIX so much. Vivi and Steiner are just so cool.

its only good if played on an emulator and heavily abuse that fast forward toggle.
without it, its a shit game with horrific loads for every random encounter

You are a fucking retard.

1-8 all had at least a basic level of exploration opportunities. 9 is literally all corridors with only one valid destination, even on the world map. It ramped up what were previously just flaws and made it the core gameplay design.

lol

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 108K)

I used the PC mod to make all battles run at 30 fps. It made the battles go double speed and made the game hard as fuck.

>thinking calling everything "magic" is an argument
You're not making it any better for yourself.
Learn what sci-fi means before using the word, nigger.

Saying a mechanical enemy doesn't count because of magic is the same thing as no argument.

Necron is death personified, he shows up to end all life when he mistakes Kuja's high-powered death anxiety for all of mankind's yearning for death and pisses off when he finds out the party has the will to live. The almost complete lack of introduction or explanation for Necron is up there with locking you out of the best gear if you don't reach Pandemonium in less than 20 hours for IX's greatest sin.

I'm playing it through properly now for the first time on switch, coming towards the end of the game. I definitely prefer VII by a lot, but it's not too far off. The story and world feel really disjointed, especially once you leave the mist continent onwards. Most of the characters don't seem to have much character development, the story and world feel too childish, like I'm playing a children's novel turned into a game, at points there is way too much boring dialogue - I'm not a big fan of the active time events. A lot of the early bosses seemed really strangely difficult and the game seems to get easier as you go on. There are points were you get to a nice flow where you are "adventuring" with a a set of characters, but these feel too short and few and far between. The battle system is quite good, but the ATB worked better with just 3 characters in VII. Those are my thoughts playing through it at the moment. I'm enjoying it, but I have a lot of complaints and it seems very overrated to me.

Yeah, the Burmecians being a bit irrelevant, Steiner and Beatrix not getting more screen-time in the end, and Amarant getting recruited instead of Lani are my only real nitpicks.
Loved pretty much everything else.

I always liked the idea of a Director's Cut that expanded on things that didn't get as much attention though, as unlikely as that is.

Attached: 1506308014853.jpg (1500x1215, 263K)

Attached: Garnet vs Tifa.png (1849x1387, 3.05M)

On the switch version there's a toggle to get it to speed up.

>didn't realize his compliance was aiding a genocidal war effort
>just liked to see the airships

Attached: 1464494494722.jpg (621x348, 20K)

X objectively had the best combat in the entire series.

is this art traced from a Lupin scene?
it looks way too much like it

>its not nomura shit
Uh-huh.

Attached: 1536074676045.png (1500x1000, 648K)

Steiner's design was heavily inspired by Zenigata so probably.

>noncanon bullshit on Zidane's side
Zidane had a soul though? Both he AND Kuja were given souls to do their missions, but Zidane's growths and experiences let him grow his own actual soul at the same time

I replayed it recently as a 25 year old, it was fun

>missing the point this much
>engaging in pedantic nitpicking

The point of that image is that Zidane's backstory is even more ridiculously convoluted than other FF protagonists.

>pedantic nitpicking
No it's not, its pointing out that the argument is fucking wrong and has no basis

>wow they look really off mod-
>check measurements
Garnet is only 4cm shorter than Tifa? Tifa's only packing 37 DDs? Man the art styles of their games really sell a different picture than their official measurements, like DBZ level different.

X's really easy to poke fun at, but I still thought it had a lot of charm and creativity.

I really love the water theme of the world. And how Tidus has an actual character arc because he's allowed to be a dorky goofball before shit really hits the fan.

Attached: blitzball.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

nowhere near as fast as a simple unthrottle on an emulator

>400 hours in-game time
>20 hours real time

magic is the only argument needed because its true.
>DURRR BUT MAJOK IS SCIENT TOO
tards

452141624 (You)
Whatever, kiddo.

>is that Zidane's backstory is even more ridiculously convoluted than other FF protagonists
I'll give you that Garland's plan sounds convoluted but Zidane himself is comparable to what if Goku was a robot.

Best PS1 era FF IMO.

>still not decensored
Mine isn't.

An important fact too is that Basch was the original protagonist for most of the game's development. Vaan was added late as a way to appeal to beta Japanese men. I imagine they had to keep reworking the script to fit in two characters that were never meant to exist. It left everything feeling unfinished.

Overrated garbage. To me it's not the slow battle system what ruined the experience of playing this game. It's the stupid story. Why? It insists on CONSTANTLY forcing the perspective of Princess Garnet who is best described as a typical damsel crybaby princess. I mean Vivi started off as a weakling emotionally, but he toughed up and even during his weak moments he never became as annoying as Garnet did. Garnet stays weak and an uninteresting crybaby for essentially like 3 whole discs out of the 4. That is a terrible shit character to center the whole journey on and playing as Zidane who is best described as Princess Garnet's enabling White Knight worshiper? It does NOT help. The story is conceptually interesting, but our central protagonists who we will spend most of the spotlight with are complete garbage.

Don't give me nothing, bad characters are reason enough to not get invested in a JRPG.

see

452142420 (You)
You still don't have an argument yourself.

A large reason why the first disc is so perfect is the character interaction. The characters all grow off one another and each have little moments that show their depth. Freya included.

The game goes downhill once all the dialogue shifts off the characters and becomes exclusively about the big bad. Almost everyone except Zidane, Vivi, and Dagger are background characters half way through Disc 3; never saying anything, never commenting on the events or actions of others. I really don't know how they fucked up the last half of the script so much.

youve already lost.
try again next time

Don't recommend to him Chrono Trigger, what the fuck is wrong with you guys. That's like recommending someone who wants to try out FPS games for the first time fucking Doom 2. It's 2019.

Attached: Garnet details.png (600x630, 226K)

452142886 (You)
Keep telling yourself that, kiddo.

The entire level where you're fighting on flying fortress killing machines?

It's my favorite FF in spite of its many flaws. Certainly the best throwback JRPG before DQ8 came out.

The only bad part about the second part of FFIX's story was Kuja being butthurt about his mortality overshadowing Garland's plot to revive Terra with Gaia's lifestream.

Attached: garland.jpg (608x1000, 285K)

magic.

Here you go nigs.

dsogaming.com/news/final-fantasy-9-receives-an-esrgan-ai-enhanced-beta-hd-texture-pack-available-for-download/

Chrono Trigger is a great game wtf are you talking about dude. The turn based fighting moves quickly, the sprites look nice, the story is interesting enough, the music is fantastic. It's a good trip through video game history too if you've never played it.

"amoral"
nigga you mad
zidane is the best ff protag we've ever had, and he was totally a good guy

The lore states it was technology. You lose.

VII was the finest, most influential classic Final Fantasy.
VIII was the first modern Final Fantasy and a complex masterpiece that still goes over people's heads. VIII is the most original RPG of all time.
IX is mediocre.

It does fit into the theme about death and accepting it though, since Kuja is basically what someone like Vivi could have become had he not had Zidane and the others to help him cherish his time and not worry so much about his reason for being.

magic tech is not scientific.
tard.

It's more than 20 years old.

You're more than 20 years old and you just got played.

So does Garland's plot. Terra is dying and he'd rather drain a baby planet to keep it alive like he's some kind of a celestial Bloody Mary than accept it.

Nah heres the Real Shit.

sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/

FF1's Cid

"Cid is revealed to be originally a great scientist of the Lufaine who studied the powers of Harmony and Discord, and discovered a way to use the Levistone's power to make airships. With the threat from neighboring countries who controlled summoned monsters and Omega, the government of Onrac was attempting to use crystal ore retrieved from a world through a portal to the Interdimensional Rift to make weapons. They created the first manikins, but they were mindless automatons. Onrac had Cid use the Lufenian memory rituals to infuse a manikin with memories from ten individuals, granting it a personality and a sense of self, and its body not crystallizing as the failed manikins had done. This "perfect" manikin was named Chaos. "

No I didn't.

Like I said. Magic. Thanks for proving my point.

"a great scientist" science. You're illiterate as well as stupid. lmaoing at you.

>who studied the powers of Harmony and Discord, and discovered a way to use the Levistone's power
magic.
tard.

All science. Fuck you're embarrassing.

That fantasy not sci-fi.

Says scientist right there. Just because our planet doesn't have levistones doesn't make them not science.

>levistones power
>science
lol

Do you know what science FICTION is you dense fucker?

wait you actually believe levistones exist somewhere in our universe?
because if not you must conceed that its a fantasy plot point, not a scientific one

Your point?
Science we haven't discovered yet.
Possibly. I don't think phasers currently exist but people still call star trek sci-fi.

>it's not sci-fi even though it mentions a SCIENTIST
How can you retards be this stupid?

Best FF. yes

google.com/search?q=misnomer&rlz=1C1GCEA_enNZ785NZ785&oq=misnomer&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

>Possibly
lmao.
I win by default.
Thanks for playing, retard.

That's not the case here, sweetie. If science is present, it's sci-fi. From there it's a matter of being either hard sci-fi or soft sci-fi.

>Good
The press button to see what other party members are doing in town feature.
>Bad
Everything else.

FF9 was shit.

Daggers primary class is summoner with a secondary class of white mage, Eiko being the inverse. As for the characters, I'd argue they are pretty strong. I've always thought that the design of Amarant fit with his lack of development. He was a strong silent type, that is only tagging along with the group to observe how Zidane operates as part of a team, and thats how he spends most of the game, an observer. Same goes for Quina. She is the comic relief character. The way she was designed didn't allow for much development as she was mentally sub-normal, her entire driving force being food. Eiko was a little girl, and her smaller arc of being alone was fitting for a younger character, as well as the fact she was introduced in disc 2. It is a shame Freyas arc had to be cut short, as her trying to deal with the loss of a loved one would have been an interesting theme.

Attached: Zidane and Garnet.gif (250x149, 2.77M)

Who the fuck is Dagger?

>thought Dagger was just a temporary name and later in the story she would go back to her real name
>40 hours later
>mfw

Attached: 1300455903579.jpg (288x499, 83K)

Pretty sure that the only things worth stealing are from the bosses. Stealing isn't essential (excluding increasing thievery damage) because as far as I'm aware there are no items unique to stealing. Stolen items can always be found later on. That being said, stealing is a joke, the success rate is way too low. It doesn't make the boss any harder, just makes it a slog. I can't count the amount of times I stalled for more than 50 turns to steal all items from a boss only to kill it with a couple of attacks. And yeah, I spent probably an hour trying to steal that Flute from Hill Gigas. (And I fucking got it.)

I'm smarter than you so I win by default unless you have overwhelming proof.

And this is another reason everyone switches the default name back to Garnet.
Doing so is stupid and immediately defeats the point of a fake name to hide yourself, but it's still less stupid than the name Dagger.

Its only flaws were how long everything took and how the atb didn't pause for animations

The point is she's choosing her own name brainlets.

I bet this guy defends FFX laughing scene

And the name she chose is absurdly stupid.

Even putting aside that she literally came up with the name as the first thing she saw when asked about a fake name, it's such an obviously fake name that that it would drag just as much attention to herself as using the princesses name.

Attached: Garnet brave booty.png (480x824, 211K)

Why are there so few people that like V, X and XII
They're my favourites

And there's never any callback or significance to it at any point either.

I kind of like that though. Kuja was the main focal point as a villain, so it makes sense that his emotional arc and perception of himself crashing down around him takes center stage at the finale's climax.

I honestly don't remember anything about the god-boss at the end other than him quoting Yoda though.

Attached: Final Fantasy IX Sibs.jpg (800x798, 105K)

I love it. yes.

I played V recently and it was extremely boring, after Galuf died I dropped it.

What did you find boring about it?

Yeah I'm a Nintendo only diehard that's playing it for the first time. So far I'm enjoying it a lot and I think I enjoy it more than XV Pocket Edition and VII (latter which I have on Steam).

Better than VII, worse than VIII. IX is my third favorite overall.

Attached: Garnet's big ass colored.jpg (822x900, 194K)

Best FF

>It will never be 2012 when I lived my ex and we completed FF9 twice
>I will never play with her dancer ass while she's laying on her stomach and I would slap her ass with my dick until she would just take her pants off and let me pronebone her
>will never hunt for diggable shit with chocos

9 is mediocre. If it came after 6 instead of 7 it wouldn't get half the recognition it does today.

I did not care about the characters, they were extremely bland. That goes for the setting and the plot too, in my eyes the game had zero ambition. I already played 1 and 4 before and it felt like a rehash of that with the job system on top, and while I accept that it is interesting, it wasn't enough to make me finish such a dull experience.

All of this is subjective and I think I actually played it last year so I might be wrong here and there.

>If it came after 6 instead of 7
but it came out after both of them.

>In retrospect what is your opinion on FF9? Was it better than 7?
No, it's the worst of the psx era ffs, mostly because its chronically slow combat and its lackluster world/locations are a let down. And tetra master is the worst shit and a huge step back from triple triad. Worst optional superbosses of them. Still a good game though.

Vivi's character and story arc are some of the best in Final Fantasy period. Some say he's overrated but it's pretty obvious that the best of the writing in the game went into his story.
Steiner was very likeable as the story went on as well, I have a soft spot for his kind of character, being torn between his official duties and personal sensibilities.
Freya is a bad case of missed potential but she's great on her own as well. I feel the same way about Amarant.
I don't even know what to think of Quina but I find him/her charming for some reason. S/he's an oaf but definitely more unsociable than just plain dumb. I enjoyed the bits where s/he gets fleshed out more.
Fuck Eiko. She's annoying.
Funny enough the most boring characters are Zidane and Garnet. Though Zidane is the first FF protag in a long time to show some real emotion, the only thing separating him from the generic happy-go-lucky JRPG protag stereotype is his self-image of being a ladies man, which is mainly just used as comedy relief.
There's literally nothing about Garnet that's memorable or interesting. She's every single out-of-her-element bumbling princess trope in one character.
Overall one of the better FFs in terms of main cast.

Attached: 1513976869291.gif (500x281, 991K)

not counting 10, probably the last good FF

>play FF9
>Garnet already has summons but not enough MP to cast them
>grind for hours to get her enough MP
>still can't cast them
Fuck you.

Attached: 1339460961466.gif (496x368, 2.62M)

The summons are only there to show you she has the potential to use summoning magic. She isn't intended to actually cast any until later.

>Not calling her Sarah

Attached: RipeSaltyIggypops-small.gif (358x251, 1.04M)

What is her name in Japanese?
Kunai? Or is it still Dagger but in English.

This was my friday.
So yeah, my favorite game ever. Period. No re.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 03.46.17.png (810x138, 104K)

ダガー
Daga. So yeah, basically just Dagger.

Daga, so yes, still Dagger.

Attached: Garnet booty.png (500x826, 196K)

It's in my top 3, but I understand how the painfully slow combat would turn people off of it.

Speedrunning JRPG's is so fucking stupid.

Attached: Garnet's decision.png (1280x960, 1.33M)

It is. But I like the anecdotes and just being able to enjoy the story without having to push through 20 or 30 hours of gameplay for the 50th time.

In thisthey called her MY MAN.
HIlarity ensued every single time anybody referenced her. Picture how cheesy ffix is when it comes to dagger and zidane, but everytime it starts with mah man.

As if. Every Final Fantasy past 2 has actual full length dungeons, often time interposed between significant events to reward backtracking. All have an abundance of optional encounters (sans 1). Yes 9 has 0 bonus dungeons. Has the second worst customization system in games that have them since the Esper system, and is extremely linear due to the aforementioned lack of side locales.

The so called "Nomura" shit encompasses this story as well. And the Final Boss is so poorly explained that for YEARS the (now debunked) explanation for its existence was tying it to an altered soul cage. Never you mind it taking some of it's beats from Final Fantasy 4 but with a cast that isn't nearly as prominent for its entire duration.

It's a fun game. But it will always be entry level in an entry level series.

She's literally talking out of her ass, my sides are destroyed

>so if this knife is called a dagger, then I guess I'll be known as NIGGER from now on

Attached: Eiko and Garnet.jpg (720x735, 347K)

I thought it was funny how obvious it was that SE already decided her name was going to be Dagger and then weaved the stupidest conversation in the game to try and justify it.

Attached: 1295591346622.png (416x416, 5K)

I want to see a outfit swap of Dagger and Tifa

Attached: 1535315744890.jpg (960x856, 490K)