WHY ARE THERE NO ENGLISH MAHJONG GAMES?

All I want is to learn how to play mahjong, but the only version that is ever around is the one where you have to eliminate the tiles. Any chance maybe im looking in the wrong place or something, I have a Ps4, PC, XBox, and a Switch.

Attached: 5R3AfVz.jpg (833x1200, 700K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4SGBX3xKwFo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FF 14 has a version of the game.
So does Yakuza 0

An UNO arc would be an improvement over the current one. the thought of kaiji living in his mom's bathroom for a month could be interesting though

There is an english mahjong game on switch for 5 bucks. Decent, but simple.

Yakuza 0 has a rici mahjong minigame, don't know if kiwami has it, was planning to learn mahjong from it before watcing akagi

I like the current arc. I haven’t read a lot of stories that take seriously the logistics of a normal person acquiring a shit load of money overnight in a shady way. The escape is interesting for all the shit they have to account for.

Start with this
gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Get kemono mahjong for mobile play, if you want to play against real players in English there's also FFXIV. I believe you can do as much of it as you want on the endless trial, you just have to get to level 15 or so to unlock the gold saucer.

Also what the fuck is with Akagi's art style?

Switch has Japanese Mah-jongg but it actually has framerate problems if you would believe it not to mention some of the AI outright cheat with ridiculous draws, double riichis, and ippatsus at a constant rate.
On PS3 and PS4 Yakuza games starting from Kenzan (Japanese only) all have mahjong. The newer games even give unique animations for the characters.
On PC and PS4 you have FFXIV which added riichi mahjong fairly recently.
Mobile has some stuff here and there but I have no clue on the quality because it's like trying to find a decent nonogram game.

In reality if you want a standalone game you need to more or less go for Japanese-only games.There aren't that many individual riichi mahjong titles that are localized.

Attached: All proceeds will be donated to the production of more trendy Ono shirts.webm (1280x720, 2.72M)

>In reality if you want a standalone game you need to more or less go for Japanese-only games.
If you can deal with the yiff, kemono mahjong is actually a really good place to start

It's just fukumoto's art style

I like maujong for mobile play. Yakuza 0 does have mahjong, but I wouldn't recommend to a beginner. First problem is that the characters suit and the four winds only have the Chinese writing on them, which can be confusing at first. It also doesn't tell you upfront when you are in tenpai (I think you have to press square to check if riichi is available), which can make you miss a riichi or just misjudge the state of your hand

I legit played Mahjong for 4 hours before realizing I had to press square to call Richii in Yakuza 0,So god damn confused because I was sure I understood the basics and I did but god damn.

Why the FUCK did Kaiji never get another season?

Attached: ANGRY DOES NOT EVEN FUCKING DESCRIBE IT.gif (247x248, 228K)

Akagi can actually teach you a few things, if you don't mind pausing and reading the notes explaining what's going on. This is only true to the first half of it though, second half has things going so fast and insane that they don't bother explaining certain nuances of what's going on. I don't want to spoil it to you, but rewatching everything after learning how to play made me understand exactly what they meant regarding one character's devilish luck.

Speaking of Akagi am I the only one bummed that the Washizu match isn't concluded in the anime? They should make a second season just to show the whole thing, from what I've read it goes completely insane

I feel you, didn't take me that long but I was confused for a while as well. Made me think I was in furiten every single round because no riichi option popped up

Explain japanese mahjong to me. I only know chinese

Anyone play irl?
just kidding I have no friends with enough power level to learn it so this set just collects dust lol

Attached: 1550040593281.jpg (3264x1836, 1.23M)

>mahjong thread
>on Yea Forums
>after I've spent the last couple weeks obsessed with mahjong
The universe is a simulation. This confirms it.

>after I've spent the last couple weeks obsessed with mahjong
Hello you must be my clone

Obey your pachinko overlords goy

Attached: Ten anime confirmed.jpg (240x320, 48K)

>kemono mahjong
Thought I was the only one playing this. Bara furries aside it's probably one of the best English mahjong games.

Get better friends or just Chinese friends.
Mahjong nights with friends are great.

Dust collector here as well, no one wants to learn to play it. Plebs are all about poker, people don't get out superior Asian game user
Two main differences is the existence of riichi and needing yaku to be able to win a hand. Riichi is betting a thousand points when you are in tenpai; from there you can no longer change your hand, just win from tsumo or ron. If you win by ron, whoever gave you the winning tile forks over more points than the rest
>but user why would you limit a closed hand like that?
See the part about yaku being obligatory to win. Basically you need to have one of several styles of hands to be able to win a round, not just having four combinations and a pair. Riichi is an exception to that, as it counts as a yaku. Basically opening your hand in riichi is a risk, since an open hand with no defined style (think poker names for combinations) has no yaku and therefore cannot win a round

It's the same basic game, it just has its own scoring and special hands. You can't just go out with any three melds and a pair, you need to have at least one "yaku" which is just any of the scoring things like a half flush, a pon of any dragon, etc. If your hand is closed and you're one tile away, you can wager 1000 points and call riichi which means you can't change your hand (drawn tiles must be discarded unless it's the winning tile you need), but it gets you bonus points and counts as a yaku so you can get a win with that if you couldn't put any other yaku together.

In place of flowers and seasons for bonus tiles, one tile is flipped up from the dead wall and the tile sequentially after it (just so there are still four of them in play) is worth bonus points if it's in your hand. So if a three dot is flipped up, having a four dot in your hand gets you more points.

Chinese also doesn't have furiten iirc, that just means you're not allowed to go out by stealing a tile you've already discarded. However if you draw it yourself, it's still valid.

Standard Japanese sets are also a good deal smaller than Chinese ones

Attached: 1536390286062.jpg (473x319, 20K)

>only chance I have to play is with relatives during the holidays
>I could play for hours but they usually play like 3 or 4 games before becoming disinterested
>finally buy a set of my own to introduce my friends to the game
>no one wants to try it and instead just plays magic
>uncle died and since he was the one that encouraged everyone to play, no one wants to play anymore because it's not the same
>now it just sits next to my TV
I just wanted to have fun.

Attached: 1515530023432.jpg (1272x1094, 568K)

*opening your hand in riichi mahjong is a risk
Sorry, wording got a little confusing by the end there. Oh and also open sequels, trios and open/closed quads have different names in the Japanese version: chii, pon and kan, respectively

I've been playing with my family lately. Yesterday my mom went from last to first place when she suddenly got a full flush straight on the very last hand of the South round. My brother and sister-in-law are still clueless to most of the yaku but my brother has a fiendish ability to read discards and hoards everyone's winning tiles when he realizes he's not going to win.

Attached: Resized_20190221_184614_8981.jpg (1200x1600, 228K)

>no one wants to try it and instead just plays magic
Same exact deal with my group. I like Magic, but I would really love to mix it up sometimes. I can only play a few EDH matches before I get burnt out but I could play mahjong all night.

I was hoping I could get some of them into it because they're FFXIV players, but I haven't been able to make it happen

Oh hey I just replied to you in the /jp/ thread, haha
What set is that? It looks like a travel size Chinese set

Was that her winning hand? Who the hell kept discarding characters after all those calls? Also I think we might have the same set

>>no one wants to try it and instead just plays magic
Could be worse, only card game my friends want to play is poker. I have a gambling problem and am a terrible poker player, so you can guess how fun that was

>Who the hell kept discarding characters after all those calls?
This is an aspect of the game I still don't understand yet. Like, what else do you do? What if you have a perfect high scoring hand and you're in tenpai but you keep drawing characters?

>travel size
No sir. I bought the chunkiest tiles I could find so we can play without racks. It's a Chinese set from Yellow Mountain Imports. See the bottlecap for reference.

The one on the bottom sequence was actually the winning tile, so we could only see the 7-9 chi and the pon of 2s. Also we're all beginners.

Attached: 20190117_181538.jpg (2481x1861, 3.33M)

Oh yeah that's pretty thicc, I think I misjudged the size of the paper.
I'm , I like the little baby Japanese tiles

All the reason i have to learn mahjong is getting all the nuances in Akagi and Ten.
I live in a shitty third world country, so 99% of people have no idea what a Mahjong is.

hong kong mahjong had a decent tutorial in english for starters
use dosbox

Attached: 585405-hong-kong-mahjong-pro-windows-3-x-screenshot-jack-won-that.png (800x600, 225K)

Yup, we have the same set. Also my bad, I didn't think the last call was the winning tile
It depends on the round and on your position, but sometimes it's better to sacrifice your own hand for a round and keep your position than risk playing into someone else's and being overtaken as a result. Especially on the last round

we did though youtube.com/watch?v=4SGBX3xKwFo

Attached: twb81ram6al11.gif (480x360, 1.38M)

This doesn't have much to do with the thread, but comparing Akagi to code geass always crack me up. The former works beautifully with a really intricate game, while the latter focuses on perhaps the most well known game ever and still manages to have a match with characters doing illegal moves. It's like an anime about group b rallying versus another where someone cuts through the grass to win a formula one race

my set
inb4 numbers

Attached: 12121.png (1043x802, 1.65M)

It has see through tiles, and literally betting with your own blood using a transfusion machine. That’s well beyond fucking nuts.

There's nothing wrong with numbers m8
My only issue with the numbered sets is they tend to have pictures of dragons instead of the actual chinese characters

That much is in the anime, I mean stuff like Akagi revealing he knew what the match would be like and getting extra blood transfused to prepare for it/apparently dying several times, Washizu betting his own blood and apparently going to hell and coming back from it. Holy shit I love Akagi

I like this arc though.
I like how many times they almost get fucked over by mundane every day coincidences, like the bus time table or the lockers

I've tried to play it with my parents, but they just don't get it. Dad gets how to make a complete hand, but he can't grasp the Yaku. My sister in law has had a better deal of going for it, but she doesn't seem to really care to play, watching her phone. She's super rude, but my brother fucking doesn't say shit about it.

I wish there was a traditional games place around her, but nothing.

Just play on tenhou, stupid.

>tfw been playing off and on for a decade and I still can't add up score
I still plan on hitting some jansu if I go to nipland but fml

I still don't much understand fu and how to add it all together. Having to learn it seriously if I wanted to go to a parlor makes me nervous.

>akagi to code geass
Wait, what? Isnt code geass a mech anime?

A mecha anime with a game of chess

code geass? more like code gay ass

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.65M)

TL2 was the correct answer right?

>unironic colon three
>over 9000 jokes
I want to go back

the internet has gotten too uptight and covered in way too many layers of irony

yakuza series, kiwami 2 and 6 even have english marked tiles
the flash game mentioned in , though it will die when flash dies
tenhou with the english addon when you're confident enough to play against humans/have a discard timer