ITT: Previous games you'd play on the PS5

REJOICE! PS5 Backwards Compatibility Thread

Attached: Capture+_2019-02-22-14-59-08.png (1068x958, 518K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/02/22/sonys-playstation-5-will-backwards-compatibility-according-new-patent-8716546/amp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Link: google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/02/22/sonys-playstation-5-will-backwards-compatibility-according-new-patent-8716546/amp/

not after they appointed this new president

Attached: DzKjbD_WoAE1c4l.jpg (774x677, 56K)

now i can watch dvds and blu ray on it

Attached: 5C51B7F8-480D-4ED2-B1D4-7CACD23AA1AF.jpg (275x183, 25K)

It’s almost as if these faggots are scared of success and money.

This is a joke right? Why are executives retarded?

I'm looking forward to playing all those old Sony titles censored for a new generation. For the players!

>using a 3 year old article and implying that the American President has any control to stop backwards compatibility

Keep playing Fortnite on your Xbox One, zoomer.

that was obvious for anyone knowin anything about pc components.

Are you retarded?

95% of people on the business side in the entertainment industry aren't actually enthusiasts in the field they work in.

What would be compatible? PS4 games or PS1-PS4?

Attached: 220px-Black_cover_art.jpg (220x310, 20K)

yeah, and i can't believe microsoft is never going to add backwards compatibility either!

Attached: xbonebc.png (1000x1087, 1.16M)

Kek, based and redpilled.

Attached: FE2A7408-CA60-41D2-BCFD-EB0FC888E285.jpg (314x445, 29K)

I have a ps2 and 3 but still don't even bother to play my old games, so why should I care about this being a thing again?

you do know that this guy is in charge of ALL OF SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT. And the Playstation brand is controlled by Americans dude.

I think don mattick should get punched by Phillip chadington Spencer

Nah, it's just that next gen is Xbox's turn. Sony will announce something retarded like always online requirement so they can honor the gentleman's agreement they've had going since gen 6.

And now that fucker is gone and Phil is in charge because that dude said shit like that. Sony hired this guy to be president after he said he hates backwards compatibility.

you're missing the point. microsoft changed their tune on backwards compatibility. sony is in the process of doing the same. your old-ass articles aren't relevant now that the ps5 is confirmed to have bc.

Probably only for PS4 games

This.

I have never seen a collective so consistently out of touch than the video game industry

>why would people want to Watch Casablanca in an updated format?
>why would people want to keep their music around on newer devices?
>why do humans bother doing ANYTHING for posterity?

Don Mattrick and that Sony guy can go fuck themselves for even uttering that shit, even if it was two years ago

that patent happened before the dude was appointed, he could easily come in and say "yeah nah." and Microsoft changed their tune because they put someone else in charge.

nice another BC patent we'll never actually see

ps4 can emulate ps2 games, and would obviously have no problem running ps1 games yet sony won't do it. so for ps5 i can see bc for ps4 at best. forget ps1-2-3

It's not like it's not gonna happen.

>patents mean they're in
so when did this TV come out?

Attached: ggwu7pq5h61y.jpg (1232x960, 91K)

and let's not forget how nintendo is even worse than they are on backwards compatibility now.
>switch has no backwards compatibility at all after the wii and wii u both had it, instead they're selling direct wii u ports for full price
>dumped the virtual console and replaced it with a handful of nes roms you have to subscribe to and overpriced "retro consoles"
>keeps getting rom sites shut down

>realistic idea that addresses one of the biggest criticisms of the ps4
vs.
>unused patent from an entirely different division of the company

>SNOY’s PS5 will have backwards compatibility!
>most likely only plays PS4 games
>most likely emulates them through their online store, requiring you to purchase a digital version of a game you already own

Yeah, real exciting news you’ve got there. I learned my lesson with PS4’s “backwards compatibility.”

Will it be full-on backwards compatibility, or will it be Xbox's retarded ((backwards compatibility)) that only works for a few games?

It's real-time translation of code
They have no other choice, but to suck publisher dick to get a chance of getting a game
if of course this patent is even revelant

Expect full-on for both Sony and Microsoft.

The PS3 and 360 both had wonky CPUs, plus they had Nvidia GPUs. So when both of them switched to AMD CPU and GPU, backwards compatibility was a nightmare to implement unless they wanted to physically add the old consoles into their newer ones, which would be expensive and take a lot of space.

But now, both of them are probably sticking with an AMD CPU/GPU-combo again, so it won't be so hard to make the hardware properly backwards compatible.

You mean, like a PC?
I already emulate everything, who cares about your soi machine.

Attached: POSitive_sony.webm (1280x720, 3M)

>All of these people posting PS2 games
>Being this naive

Attached: 15123239_1444894405525514_1902643089286336262_o.jpg (1002x760, 35K)

I actually want these things to be fully backwards compatible so I can make use of my PS2 games again.
I wanna replay the Sly trilogy, damnit.

To be fair, switch is memory card based and not cd based. And the reseling wii u game is the same that microsoft and sony did with ""remasters"" editions.

I heard from that it will even have backwards compatibility for everything between the nintendo entertainment system to the xbox one.

i just want to be able to continue to play my digital games on the ps5, hopefully with improved framerate and graphics with a free patch or something.

and maybe thps

it's dlc

Attached: 1549921654568.jpg (706x1000, 116K)

>Sony dominates this gen of sales
>only console without backward compatibility
Yeah, no one actually gives a shit.

How on earth would backwards compatibility on the Switch even work? It's basically a fucking tablet. The only way to do that would be if they could somehow fit the actual Wii U hardware directly in the fucking thing.

I'm not disputing the virtual console thing, that's fucking stupid, but hardware is not that simple. Backwards compatibility isn't something you can just add. Sometimes it is literally impossible to achieve within a reasonable price because of architectural differences between systems. That was the case with the PS3. Sony couldn't really have made the PS4 backwards compatible if they tried, but that had nothing to do with the PS4 and everything to do with the decisions they made with the PS3 many years prior to that.

>games nowadays are so shit that backwards compatibility on new consoles is the best option they have to offer

holy shit this industry is so dead its not even funny

Because you'll be able to hack the ps5 and throw a 8tb harddrive in it to literally have the complete sony library in one package.

Ayup.

Attached: xbox-bc-56aa40d23df78cf772aecbc0.jpg (768x512, 97K)

>desperately trying to disprove the BC rumors
what's their endgame?

Attached: 1548960363096.jpg (789x805, 133K)

I don't really believe the ps4 could run ps2 games at full speed. Even a modern gaming PC struggles with some games. If this tech works the way they say it does, it'll be cpu level emulation, and it should be a tad better than modern emulators.
It'll also help that the ps5 should end up being a high end gaming PC from a year ago.
Consoles are essentially mid range PCs, or high end PCs from 2 years ago.

So does the Xbox and Switch, but I don't hear you bitching, zoomer.

Not having people realize that PS2 was indeed the high point of consoles so they won't demand more games that are about gameplay rather than overhyped, overmarketed games.

>I don't really believe the ps4 could run ps2 games at full speed.
They literally have """remastered""" PS2 games on the PS4 store. By that I mean it's literally just upscaled and some in-post AA like an emulator would.

>Consoles are essentially mid range PCs, or high end PCs from 2 years ago.
you're kidding right? The ps4 and xbone launched with laptop cpus. they're barely improved in the pro consoles

Considering that they HAVE to find a way to sell as many ps5 consoles at LAUNCH. It would be brilliant. Because if you had backwards compatibility, i think most people will get the ps5 at launch. No matter the price. Otherwise they would wait until more than 1 game comes out for the ps5. And this way. Huge sales for the ps5. People would be able to retire their ps3 and ps4. Question is. Will the backwards compatibility work like the Ps4 pro. Enhancing games in minor ways. Like higher fps, better looking grafics. Because that is one thing that they would NEED for the ps3 games. As the games even on the ps3 look jagged. But, backwards compatibility. They would have a library of 4 generations worth of games. Plus the new ones. Well. They would win the console generation. Unless Nintendo also does it with ALL of their game consoles. But who knows.

I'd probably buy one if it had BC. I skipped on PS4 because there weren't enough games for me to want to buy one. If PS5 can indeed run PS4 games then I can play the few titles PS4 has plus whatever few worthwhile titles PS5 will have, so it would be a major incentive for me to get one.

Providing full backwards compatibility would be pretty difficult I think, especially with PS3. PS1&2 should be easy because they're old and very, very slow compared to current hardware so emulation is definitely possible. PS4 is the same architecture, so PS4 games should run natively or very close to that. PS3 however is still weird hardware-wise but also isn't extremely outdated like the older consoles, as such software emulation is much more difficult. It would be pretty impressive if Sony can actually make a PS3 emulator which can run each and every PS3 game at full speed. They could of course choose to include some hardware for this as well, but I really doubt Sony wants to do that.

I kind of doubt they're going to do full BC though. This basically has very little financial incentive since people playing old games aren't giving Sony extra money. BC would essentially be an incentive for people to revisit old games which they already own instead of spending money on new titles. This sort of move would just give them good guy points, they don't seem to have much reason to do it (I hope I'm wrong). MS is probably only doing it with Xbone because they want to build up consumer good will after the horrid decision to try to make Xbone online-only with Kinect early on.

rpcs3 is doing a good job, turns out binaries for the cell lend themselves really nicely to static analysis that lets you do a lot of the work before runtime

PS4 B/C is pretty much assured based on that shit Mark Cerny said a few yeaars ago about the PS4's architecture futureproofing the brand. PS3, not a chance. THE POWER OF THE CELL was still giving first-party developers problems even in the system's twilight years.

First, are those games actually being emulated, or are they ports? Because that makes a huge difference in this context.

Second, even if they are being emulated, there's still a big difference between being able to emulate a small number of games with a bit of work versus being able to reliably emulate all or most games on a system. Emulation isn't easy, and like the guy in said, it's almost entirely CPU bound. The PS4 has a shitty CPU, so it'll really struggle with that.

The PS4 games i didn't get to play since there weren't enough for me to justify buying one

>launched with laptop cpus
They're more like ancient architecture, low power netbook CPUs.

Yes, RPCS3 really is quite impressive, but RPCS3 is still far from running all PS3 games at full speed even on absurdly monstrous CPUs like 9900Ks OC'd to >5GHz. PS5 won't have that sort CPU performance. I expect it'll have 8C Ryzen 2 at most, but efficiency is the name of the game on consoles so I only really expect something in the 2-3GHz range to keep power consumption low. That's still going to be a good bit slower than what RPCS3 chews on. Of course, Sony should have perfect knowledge of PS3 intricacies and also can dump way more resources into a PS3 emulator project and as such they may hypothetically create an emulator better than RPCS3, but I still think getting universal PS3 emulation going is a hard challenge.

Hard to tell. My money's on the PS5 playing PS4 for no extra cost but nothing older.

>rpcs3

I don't trust sony.
There's gonna be a catch.
There is always a catch with them.

>this time it's different guys trust me

emulator is tied to psnow sub

What's the chance they'd do PS1/2/4 but skip 3? 1 and 2 are fairly doable on power alone and 4 should be doable just based on similar architecture. PS3 just seems like an outlier because it's too intensive to do raw emulation and too expensive/cumbersome to make it run natively. It'd just make for an awkward ad campaign to leave out a major console, even if it meant having PS1 and 2 as well. So barring some wizardry I can't see anything besides PS4.

You already know at best ps5 is gonna be a PS4 Pro-Pro

YASSS QWEEN SLAYER! Sonya always wins! Resetera bay bay!

Attached: PS4 Library.jpg (555x800, 41K)

>*blocks your path*

Attached: Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg (294x339, 19K)

I mean they might do it, but they probably won't focus on it in marketing if they do anyways. But more likely, they will find a way to emulate PS1 and PS2, but then just not have the console run the discs, instead just selling old games on their online store. PS4 BC is a selling point. PS1/2 isn't really.

Amateurs can already get PS3 emulation working somewhat on PC, it isn't impossible

There should be no technical issue at all with running PS4 games on PS5, the only question would be if Sony does or doesn't want to do that. PS4 games are still new and are being sold plus they are integrated with Sony's online infrastructure, so they could pretty easily let you play all your PS4 games on PS5, both digital and physical.

I guess that could be a pretty decent advantage at launch since the console won't have a nearly-empty library. It'd have the full PS4 library available, that could indeed tempt people to get one since you don't have to worry about not having anything to play. Or rather than an advantage it might be MS pushing them to do it. Now that Xbone has started with BC, surely MS won't give up on that on their next console, so perhaps Sony doesn't think they can release PS5 with fucking nothing in its library when the competing Xbox has the entire Xbone library, plus extra 360 and OG Xbox games.

>playing video games

Not in this lifetime kiddo!

This, people dont realise all these companies are controlled by the same mafia

Attached: Bilderburg Globalist Mafia.jpg (3434x2959, 2.01M)

>an Yea Forumsie and a bingtendie
jesus christ

nope. enjoy paying for ps now for low quality ps2 games at low fps

It says a lot about the industry atm when the biggest sales feature of the successor to the most successful current system is that it will play the games your old hardware already plays.

Enjoy Bloodborne remastered
TLOU Remastered 4K
RDR2 at actual 30 fps and some shit game not even console warriors remember

What a shitty tittle for an article. I thought English majors were taught how to properly source their shit and not make assumptions. That journo must have a degree in women's studies.

Sony is Japanese and not even present on your cool chart.

It's going to be PS4 BC because it's still using GCN architecture

You can forgot about PS3 BC though, maybe if Sony are being king they will give us PS1 & PS2 BC, but it will likely be like PS4 where you have to re purchase the PS2 games

Fucking jackass.

>someone took time to do this
lmao.
Do you honestly think people are this organized? In a group project more than 4 people become chaotic and the efficiency drops, imagine a singularity controlling thousands of companies LMAO

you fucking /pol/tards can't use your head