Hey guys we ported System Shock to modern systems so lets try to remake the entire game amirite?

>hey guys we ported System Shock to modern systems so lets try to remake the entire game amirite?
>finished 60% of the remake and the demo received universal praise but lets trash the entire thing and restart development because we forgot to pander to consoles despite the game being made for PC
>oh and lets reboot it instead of remake. I don't like those unique designs and atmosphere I want the generic sci-fi garbage!
>oh and let the sequel be made by literal nobodies other than the writer, what could possibly go wrong?
For what purpose?

Attached: 10f9b4bef79aefe1f0e82d0b56b39c2c_original[1].jpg (1552x873, 321K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vg247.com/2016/06/25/system-shock-remaster-is-now-a-reboot-launches-next-week-on-kickstarter/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_(upcoming_video_game)
eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-06-system-shock-remake-dev-details-return-to-original-vision-following-project-hiatus
youtube.com/watch?v=rt33j2EaUmY
youtube.com/watch?v=rixzL5WlS-Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fill me in,

I did not know all that other stuff after the demo was released.

Once again consolefags ruined another classic FPS IP. What's next, RTS?

Attached: 1515465489422.png (235x248, 7K)

It was planned as a reboot right from the start. The kickstarter even said as much.

Even when they first announced the "remaster", it was clear it was going to be more of a remake. They flat out stated they wanted to change the game to pure horror and make it more like System Shock 2/Dead Space.

i thought people liked bioshock.

100% wrong. Was called remake, then they restarded development when they wanted to reboot it and port it to consoles. 2 seconds on google

SOME ONE SPOOON FEEED MEEEEE!

Devs decided to reboot it instead of remaking it and they trashed their development and start over in order to create it with console release in mind, completely simplifying controls, design, and levels.

Learn 2 google

unrelated, but did you guys know that Alexander Brandon is making music for System Shock 3?

They went back from a simplified remake into one with the original levels kept intact. Try using google before making shitty threads.

Never bring up that overrated piece of shit in a System Shock thread again.

Attached: 8a4.jpg (316x202, 7K)

They changed engines, but they never restarted development to change to a reboot. It was a reboot even before the kickstarter launched. As you say, a few seconds on google: vg247.com/2016/06/25/system-shock-remaster-is-now-a-reboot-launches-next-week-on-kickstarter/

The whole problem is that they called it a remaster, a remake and a reboot all at the same time, which confused a whole lot of people. Because Nightdive really had no idea what they wanted to do, and then spent years and all the kickstarter money trying and failing to decide. Now they falling back to the cheapest easiest option: copy the original as closely as possible.

Not finding it,
This is shit I've already known. Unity wasn't providing what they needed and they were in over their heads using it. They also realized this wasn't going to be as easy as they expected so they improved their overhead. If ANYTHING we're getting more because they're attempting something a bit ambitious. as has said, you're all just bitching because they've moved on a bit more in the pipe and you don't like it.

If you get really technical SS1 was a massive shooter with lean mechanics and tons of guns. If they're turning SS2 more survival horror by all means, so long as they keep the guns.

This is shit that I already fucking knew about OP WILL NOT STOP SUCKING FUCKING COCKS.

Attached: OPsfavoritecandy.jpg (720x544, 128K)

>Kick said due to the resources and passion the team were putting into the project, things “elevated beyond the expectations someone would have for a remaster.”
Read the article yourself. Even the headline has the keyword "now", and they restarted development because they switched from Unity to Unreal in order to run it on consoles easily
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_(upcoming_video_game)
> Kick and Kuperman explained that because of the feature creep, a newly assembled team had restarted the game's development

Can't believe I had to explain this twice

Attached: 1432388740222.jpg (500x378, 145K)

Attached: 1459711755044.jpg (600x476, 42K)

>and restart development because we forgot to pander to consoles despite the game being made for PC
This better be fucking bullshit.

It isn't
eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-06-system-shock-remake-dev-details-return-to-original-vision-following-project-hiatus

They needed to stand out on kickstarter so they decided to prey on SS1 fans who wanted a remake. They pushed the remake language and got the money. Once they had money they went to a publisher to pitch the reboot they actually wanted to make. They would then plan to make a generic Sci fi game on console which they hoped would make them rich. They didn't care about the fan outcry for the original vision/remake, because they thought they hit it big. It was clear they never liked SS1 and liked SS2 a lot more. The publisher later backed out and screwed over the devs. I would guess that they ran out of money early on in development and the publisher was pissed that they would have to invest big $ into it. They got screwed over by the publisher the same way fans were screwed over by them. In the end, they crawled back on their knees to the fans and begged forgiveness with the remake.

I'm just worried because the games associated with these people are failing due to them using literally whos who cannot code for shit and release barely finished games with terrible animations, and so on.

Ascendant probably has a good game somewhere underneath the horrible bugs and coding.

Moreso they always wanted PC fans money to fund a AAA console shooter.

>PREY, which is literally a spiritual successor to System Shock, gets shafted and ignored because of the name
>Meanwhile the SS remake got millions of bucks in kickstarter and tons of people are slurping it despite it nowhere being an SS game
The wrong kid died

Attached: 1520134308705.jpg (362x462, 65K)

>System Shock 1 remake
>Try to reboot it for Console audiences when Bioshock 1/2 did exactly that and probably for the better

Attached: 1549420097685.jpg (709x633, 35K)

Prey did die because of Bethesda which is another (one of many, mind you) argument as to why that company should stop existing and everyone involved in making key decisions there forever banned from working in the gaming industry.

That includes Todd as well.

Attached: 1543934809461.png (994x539, 339K)

They took advantage of Bioshock's death so there's that

On top of that, it was supposed to be named Neuro/Typhonshock but it was named Prey in order to keep the trademark alive, otherwise it would expire

Zenimax is responsible for all the shit PREY got, the devs had nothing to do with that

>Rather than name it something different, it takes the skin name of another single-player shooter which is removed from most online-venues and you can't even play it without pirating or owning the original retail release

I'm so fucking mad, Tommy deserves so much better.

Why are they calling the exact same though? I hate this bullshit, all it accomplishes is burying the original even more.

Bioshock died for a reason, though. The cinematic trend in vidya is cancer, but it's unfortunately cancer that execs like because it makes for great trailers they can sell investors.

You think they care about the original anymore? It isn't making them money. Worse yet, it doesn't play like a homogenized shooter.

nuPrey was good unlike Prey

>It isn't making them money.
But people are buying it on steam, surely it's making some amount of money.

That article was 2016, a week before the kickstarter began. It establishes that Nightdive were making a reboot from the outset.

The change from Unity to Unreal didn't happen until a year later in 2017. Nightdive only stopped development to return to their "original vision" in 2018.

Yeah, but subtitles scare off newcomers.

>It isn't making them money
Wasn't the Enhanced version of System Shock they sold on steam (before the current source port) based on a fan patch of the game? I thought Nightdive's whole business model was buying up the rights to games which fans have already ported, so that they can simply sell that and save themselves the development costs.

Both are good. Prey 2017 is a better game, but I still think old Prey had a lot of cool tech for it's time, the warped perspectives and an actual decent game on Idtech.

I'm more upset over Zenimax's complete and total sabotage of Prey 2 and it's death.

>oh and let the sequel be made by literal nobodies other than the writer, what could possibly go wrong?
You have absolute no fucking idea what you are talking about.

On an unrelated note, seems like Starbreeze saw how the launch of Underworld Ascendant went and got cold feet but who could blame them. We'll have to see if making a brand new System Shock game with an AA budged is possible regardless of the talent.

Attached: 12423452354.jpg (713x625, 177K)

>other than the writer
there's the keyword here user. Also, big time names doesn't mean the game will turn out to be great or masterpiece. See: Rise of the Triad

That's the sequel, not the reboot

I actually preferred it when Nightdive were making a reboot. It would have inevitably been awful, but at least it would have ultimately been forgotten like the Thief reboot.

Now that they're back to a "faithful" remaster, the problem is that they'll still make something terrible, but it'll be accurate enough that newcomers will always play it over the original.

kickstarter was a mistake. 90% of the projects turn out to be trash made by people who are looking to make a quick buck.

Starbreeze are bankrupt and were desperate to claw back any money they could. The names of Spector and System Shock will be enough for Otherside to secure a new publisher even after the Underworld disaster.

On top of that, the failure of Overkill's Walking Dead and the death of Payday 2 put them in the red. Nightdive got lucky and bailed out

I hope it's gonna be similar to Ion Storm's Deus Ex and Daikatana (Daikatana was made by Ion Storm Dallas and it was bad whereas Deus Ex was made by Ion Storm Austin and it was good). Otherside has two studios as well, and Spector wasn't involved with Underworld Ascendant.

It was never going to get a real sequel.

It’s been over 20 years. They’re not the same people and the closest game we’ve had to it was Prey which didn’t even come close and flopped horribly.

Same thing with Deus Ex. Human Revolution was alright but it was no masterpiece. These people aren’t the same as they were back in the day.

Attached: 142352134123.jpg (997x1101, 251K)

PC already ruined RTS with moba shit.

The System Shock kickstarter was more incompetence than scam.

>It’s been over 20 years. They’re not the same people and the closest game we’ve had to it was Prey which didn’t even come close and flopped horribly.
What does commercial success have to do with the quality of a game?

>Same thing with Deus Ex. Human Revolution was alright but it was no masterpiece. These people aren’t the same as they were back in the day.
Human Revolution had none of the staff of the original DX, so what are you even talking about?

>What does commercial success have to do with the quality of a game?
Not him, but it just means there's a lack of interest for these types of games

There was a lack of interest in the System Shock games when they were first released.

>it just means there's a lack of interest for these types of games
I don't feel like Prey is a good example of this type of mentality considering one of the main reasons it did bad sales-wise was largely because Bethesda barely marketed it. I knew a few people who either had never heard of Prey before release or just didn't plan on picking it up because they weren't sure what kind of game it was even supposed to be.

Attached: 1548976068722.jpg (624x448, 54K)

the current state of Nightdrive's System Shock looks pretty close to a 1 to 1 remake of the original. I think they even ditched the Bioshock orchestral music in favor of something closer to the original's electronic music
youtube.com/watch?v=rt33j2EaUmY
which is fine but it's insane that they took this long to do what they originally pitched. they wasted years and over a million dollars to start from scratch. even if the game turns out good, imagining if the wasted resources were put to use, the end result could have been better.

>Otherside has two studios as well, and Spector wasn't involved with Underworld Ascendant.
Is this true? I recall some marketing videos for UA featuring Warren personally so I assumed he was part of the development and the final product disappointed me greatly.

Everything about it with the exception of the atmosphere was boring.

It's pretty close visually. I still have my doubts as to whether they'll deliver the gameplay of the original instead of turning it into another Bioshock etc.

:^)

Attached: 3cKgu7OcxEQ.jpg (597x278, 33K)

Except they realized they changed too much and started over? Why does Yea Forums deliberately lie?

Attached: 1546375264283.jpg (900x574, 62K)

Unity isn't inheriently shit, but most devs who use it are shit.

Fuck the console market.

I'm pretty sure Warren Spector and his team are working on it. You have no idea what you're talking about. Also they went back to just remaking the first one.
Do you post bullshit for attention?

I don't know why people are blaming consoles for "ruining" a pc classic. The original game wasn't complicated by any means. It was basically a Doom clone with fucking garbage controls. They were always going to change it so there isn't 6 buttons to lean and crouch or click and drag items on the ground to put them into the inventory.

Reimagining it was the plan that crashed and burned. I think they're so strapped for time and finances they blew their shot to overthink shit.

They realized they had no money left and starting over with a greatly reduced scope was their only option.

>It was basically a Doom clone with fucking garbage controls
Jesus christ

Attached: 9093852.jpg (500x500, 159K)

The wikipedia article says
>Advisors include Austin Grossman, the lead writer of Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds and Warren Spector, producer of the original Underworld games.
That means they haven't actually worked on it.

Agreed, but I am plagued by vague doubts about that they want an AAA product using Unity.

Attached: 1550642752401.png (473x786, 592K)

1 is my favorite game and has been so for over half a decade. SS1 and 2 did a lot of things better, like the UI and inventory management, but the positive qualities of BioShock way outstripped its downgrades for me.

Attached: ff.png (1599x1000, 2.64M)

>Less weapons
>Less replayability
>Less skills and abilities

System Shock 3 is AA at most and Warren Spector has gone on record saying it's exciting working on a smaller scale project referring to SS3. I mean, where do you think they'd get money to make System Shock 3 into an AAA game? Certainly not from OtherSide Entertainment since Underworld Ascendant was also an A to AA project and not from a publisher since most of the game is done while they're looking for a new publisher:

The worry is that they won't have the time or finances to think of anything at all, and they'll just slap together some crap to satisfy what they owe to the kickstarter backers.

SS3 team is even located in Austin too, it's like pottery.

Only, the complete opposite happened, they scrapped development becuase the game took a direction that played nothing like the original and nothing like the demo they released.
They're now focusing on making the remake as much of a remake as possible, they're quite open about how the development process is coming along if you check out their kickstarter page.
They also wanted to make the switch from Unity to the far more stable UE4.
A bunch of the original devs now work at Otherside who released Ascendant half finished, the game is a shitshow.

In short, OP is a faggot.

Attached: shodan_fullsizerender.jpg (5100x3338, 3.8M)

rise of the triad was already a mediocre FPS back in the 90s

literally the only reason it became known was because "lol so random" and playing as a dog

I like that there are people who think Nightdive stopped and thought about what they were doing out of the goodness of their hearts, instead of the more likely scenario where Nightdive reconsidered what they were doing because they were out of money and needed to produce something to avoid being chased for fraud.

Are Kickstarter games finally dead?

You never see any high profile kikestarter games anymore

>Less weapons
True, but the depth in BS1 is higher since upgrading changes functionality instead of just stacking numbers.
Also some of the weapons in SS2 are humorously niche or just variants of each other. Wrench/Crystal/Rapier are functionally identical with altered stats, as are Pistol/Asssault Rifle.
>Less replayability
I disagree. I've done over a dozen runs in BS1, only 3 in SS2, and just 1 in SS1.
>Less skills and abilities
Debatable. They work in different ways. It's not apples to apples.
BioShock has more kinds of passive abilities (58 gene tonics to 16 O/S upgrades), but SS2 has more active abilities (11 plasmids to 35 PSI abilities).
Then for simple permanent stats, BioShock's also works differently because it's split between research and Health/Eve upgrades for ADAM, whereas SS2 just has skill trees.

Also
>quality of a game is determined by the number of weapons/skills/abilities
is a silly assumption. Borderlands would be the greatest vidya of all time if so.

Attached: bonest of daddies.jpg (1034x825, 126K)

That's what I'm implying, not the reboot

shut the fuck up boomer

All the studios that made kickstarter games have been bought out by publishers by now.

I derp'd. Sorry user

Yeah, they were having money issues so they completely restarted and further dragged out development, becuase that would be a much wiser option for a company that was running out of money and needed to release something quick in order to make the money back.

No problem user-kun

If you want to play System Shock just play the original. Its on GOG.

>more than halfway complete
wew

Never pre order.
Kickstarter is for INSECTS.

Attached: 250px-SHODAN_hires.jpg (250x268, 32K)

Did any of you HONESTLY believe that a developer would ignore a 150 million install base?
Like PC exclusives died 15 years ago.

Well there is Star Citizen I guess...

Fellurz, Prey (2017) is a great game. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.

It's not like they had anything to release at this point. The Underworld Ascendant team at least had enough to scape together into something resembling a game. For all the time and money, all Nightdive managed to produced was concepts and mockups they'd hoped to attract a publisher with.

If you'd followed the kickstarter updates, Nightdive never got beyond concepting a fraction of the first level. At this point isn't not a matter of producing something quick, but being able to produce *something* to satisfy the backers.

You can make a game centered around the PC base and porting it to consoles without pandering to consoles. Warframe's a good example.

Are they still planning a console release now the project has been restarted?

>upgrading changes functionality instead of just stacking numbers.

You have never played SS2, stop lying and go fucking play it.

Attached: 1324.jpg (1397x786, 141K)

Console release was the partial reason why they restarted development. Unity runs like ass on PS4

They switched to Unreal from Unity long before the project went on hiatus for the rethink. That's why I'm wondering if it's still planned.

system shock 1 isn't system shock 2. in 1 you get massive amounts of ammo and just blow through enemies like doom.

They did it because the the publishers they were in talks with to fund the reboot dropped them. They were forced to go back to the original plan/remake and not because they wanted to.

>Doom clones
it didn't even use the Doom engine, zoomer

neither did dark forces boomer

You have to understand that nobody has ever actually played System Shock 1. They've played SS2 and all the modern horror games "inspired" by SS1, then extrapolated from there.

>I'm more upset over Zenimax's complete and total sabotage of Prey 2 and it's death.
This

and after a HUGE fucking backlash, demanding of money returns and threats of lawsuit, they decided to better fucking backtrack and remake the original rather than make their own SS1 thing

>but lets trash the entire thing and restart development because we forgot to pander to consoles

I thought they scrapped it because it was too different from the original? jesus christ what the fuck is wrong with modern devs

Attached: 1547623736724.jpg (1500x1594, 280K)

Pandering to consoles was always the plan. SS1 is far too complicated compared to SS2 (because it doesn't have a log telling you what to do at all times), and from the get go Nightdive talked about changing the game to fit modern audiences.

They restarted development simply because they burned through the money they raised on kickstarter, so now Nightdive are putting their own money on the line. It's cheaper to copy the original than come up with something new, and unlike other kickstarters Nightdive can't simply cut and run.

Fuck a remake, the source port they made is plenty enough as far as modernization goes.

Sauce on that affirmation ?

The fan backlash meant nothing. The only thing that changed their mind was the publisher deal collapsing.

yeah playing rise of the triad as a normal playthrough is a complete garbage experience
the only way to enjoy those games is by spamming cheats

99% of the "complication" of system shock 1 is the controls that are terrible and graphics that made the level design blend together compared to something like doom that has a clear art direction making the levels easy to navigate.
what exactly is pandering to consoles in your mind?

It's not just the controls and graphics. The trouble with System Shock 1 is that all the directions in the game are implicit rather than explicit.

At the start of the game, Rebecca tells you to do something about a laser. By the time players get to deck 5 and an elevator that won't let them get any higher, that objective is forgotten. It's a game where you have to listen and understand all the logs to understand what is going on and what you're meant to do, but we're long past the era where players take notes as they play through a game.

The reactor "puzzle" is one that modern audiences never get unless directed to by a guide, because the game never tells you to get a piece of the code from each level.

youtube.com/watch?v=rixzL5WlS-Y

Modern controls let you run rings around the enemies which were designed around the player being slow. Some sort of combat update is needed.