What CIV games should be played and in which order?

What CIV games should be played and in which order?

Which ones are completely discardable?

Attached: se3ei1fb8bvy.jpg (1914x1051, 780K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vQiq578BzII&index=6&list=RDPehzqNeNqwo
youtu.be/oFQDeYXq_iw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

civ IV with all expansions, and SMAC
or
civ V with all expansions, and SMAC

order doesn't matter
also check out endless legend

anything but civ vi and beyond earth

CIV 2

Attached: 0870beeffeee40028f2cf40a32f0b33c.jpg (964x964, 248K)

Why is everyone shitting on CIV VI
Played it a bit when it was free for four days and it seemed fun_, witho couple of nice new mechanics

Civ 5,
there you go, the entire order

there's no point in playing a modern civ game until it's been out for 5+ years and all of the expansions are bundled together on sale
it's like early access except you actually pay more instead of getting a discount

Civ VI is good no matter what people on here tell you.

III, IV and V are all worth playing. havent played I or II

with shittier ai, unbalanced mechanics, irrelevant choices of civilizations and crap graphics

Just play Civ IV
The rest are brainlet shit or too dated

I have only played IV, V, VI and civrev

IV is great but I actually do like the hex tile system and one unit per tile of V alot despite how much Yea Forums shits on it. V with all DLC and a few mods is probably the peak experience you're going to get with Civ. VI is fine, I hate having money so I got the new expansion and it makes the game actually decent, not as good as civ V with all expansions but close. If you're going to get Civ VI wait until it's on megasale with all Expansions and DLC later on, because the base game is irredeemable trash even moreso than Civ V's base game was at launch

civ4 and fall from heaven 2
alpha centauri
i had some fun with call to power 2 at the time

civ 5 and 6 are enjoyable as civ games but the design just isn't there. they are bloated and cumbersome and civ4 is the definitive civ experience

Civ V is trash and should never be played under any circumstances
Beyond Earth and V are unplayable trash. The rest aren't.
Civ Vi is good, ignore the reactionaries and contrarians.
Not an untrue post.

>muh giant stacks of death
yikes. CivIVers are fucked in the head.

>too brainlet to understand what collateral damage is
gonna be a yikes from me

Attached: ct5.png (658x543, 606K)

>Civ 5 with all DLCs for $10
>+ Vox Populi mod
faggot

What is SMAC?
Also general consensus seems to be to get the whole package with the DLCs, am I right?

>paying for Civ
Look at this dude

>being so destitute you don't have $10 in disposable income
??? please explain

this one was interesting

Attached: ed687e87176e2073.jpg (647x300, 58K)

Sid Meyers Alpha Centauri. Basically, Civilization but on an alien planet. The game premise is rather than different nations, your factions are shaped by different ideologies that you can adjust (prerunner to civics in later versions of Civ). The game has a good backstory and features some neat concepts like customizable units and terraforming.

>my privacy is literally worthless

except that's not applicable to civ 5, still... please explain your abject poverty? why haven't you bettered yourself?

a poor man's alpha centauri

>unnecessarily spending money and playing through 3rd party platforms means you aren't poor
How much money do I need to burn to become rich?

still dodging the question user...

6 has gameplay glitches, spyware and ugly CalArts designs and literal who leaders. Avoid like the plague.

Civ 5 complete edition.

Play Civ V with Vox Populi Mod.

just play 5 with all the dlc and nothing else for all eternity.

works for me.

Do you need to have all Civ iv games downloaded or can you just install beyond the sword on steam?

I work less than 6 months a year and that's enough because I don't go around throwing money away.
Plus Google and Facebook don't have shit on me since I only handle personal information on Gentoo and still have a dumbphone.
Enjoy your NPC life.

Attached: comfyfrogs.jpg (409x409, 97K)

>haven't played in awhile
>fire up Civ 5 BNW
>prince difficulty
>see Songhai to the south, just a capital with 3 unique luxuries
>Trebuchet takes 40% of the cities' health
>easy capture
>denounced by Korea, Russia and India
>20 turns later
>Korea and Russia declare war on me back to back
>haven't been building military so I panic
>they send a grand total of 5 units to attack me
>mop them up
>sue for peace later
>they each give me one city

I know low difficulties are low, but god damn

but why? are you earning minimum wage? why haven't you improved your skills to a point where people want to pay you more than what's mandated by federal and state law?

>tfw all these brainlet posters in civ threads ever since vi came out

Purely economical factors

this, but also lets not forget that CIV III has the most ballin' OST
youtube.com/watch?v=vQiq578BzII&index=6&list=RDPehzqNeNqwo

Attached: image_5543.jpg (400x500, 67K)

>tfw zoomers will never understand how great civ 4 is
>tfw they will just spout the doomstack meme while ignoring everything wrong with 5
and every year there are less of us boomers on this board. sad times indeed.

Attached: kq.png (252x335, 7K)

>are you earning minimum wage?
I am not. Perhaps you are, if you count the time spent "improving your skills" as work hours and subtract whatever it cost you from your wage, and transportation, and commuting hours, and buying unnecessary crap like shitty tablet games.

IV i think is by far the best, V sucks, VI never grabbed me but maybe the dlc and patches have made it fun?

4, 2, 5 with all the dlc they have is the only ones worth playing. The rest are shittier or have a bad enough experience that it is not worth playing or installing. Civ 5 heavily modded is the best way but vanilla the best game is civ 4.

>tfw you'll never read "For I Have Tasted The Fruit", "Essays On Mind And Matter", the Spartan Battle Manual or any of the others

Too good for this sinful world. SMAC was the definition of SOUL in a game.

Did they ever fix the AI in civ 6? I remember the enemy units would just circle my city and never attack.

and civ 2 had the best advisors
youtu.be/oFQDeYXq_iw

in a parallel universe where everything false is true, your statements would be correct

I liked a lot about the way civ III looked and sounded, yeah. seemed like a huge leap forward from 2 in terms of ideas

>how great civ 4 is
stacks of doom are retarded tho. for that reason alone, civ 4 is trash

Agreed on Civ5 and endless legend.

I liked 6 more than the 4 though

It's mostly since on a mode like emperor, the ai will either love you or hate you on on stuff you don't have control over like not having a navy on turn 3. And the ai will send all of their troops to kill you but you can make one archer and kill them all since the ai doesn't know what's it's doing. Also if you take a city in a defensive war everyone will hate you. It is harder to deal with barbarians since they get a new warrior every turn until they die.

You people should be put to death. Fuck you.

>Civ V trash
>Civ VI good

Does your taste was surgicaly removed as a part of some bizzare medical experiment?

No. Hex and OUPT we're only made interesting with districts. Civ vi has better art institute ll categories as well. V is just shit.

Attached: snap.jpg (640x360, 53K)

why do a lot of people hate the cartoony style?
personally I kinda like it, it feels like it adds more character to the civs

Attached: tumblr_offg9kExpX1un7uhro2_250.gif (245x300, 1.97M)

Bro Red Shell was added to Civ 5.

i quite like them personally. i like the animation, it's very expressive.

I swear it's the same guy in every thread saying 6 is good and 5 is shit

looks like a mobile game

The gathering storm thread is almost composed entirely of people like me who like Vi and hate V

the only way you can think 6 is better than 5 is if you're bad at video games and fail to notice how much of an unbalanced slog 6 is

>What CIV games should be played and in which order?

None, in no particular order. Paradox games do everything you ever hoped a CIV game would do. Better.

A rough Civ6 Multiplayer flower chart:
Did you lock in Japan or Germany? If no, forfeit.
Did you spawn in an open area? If no, forfeit.
Did your opposing player manage to create his busted factory flower layout one turn before yours? If yes, you lose.

I'm sure it's changed post-expansion but I'm not going to give them money to find out.

stacking AoE yields were patched out ages ago but the game is still shit for other reasons

Civ 4

Is the Civ 6 Switch port any good?
Never played the series before

Attached: tumblr_oy1evijSip1un7uhro3_250.gif (250x250, 2.15M)

>try to play long comfy game of civ4 c2c
>ai always shits to the bed at the end of prehistoric

Civ IV with Caveman2Cosmos if you like an absurd amount of not-quite-balanced content
Civ V with Vox Populi for best vanilla-like experience

OP here. Just downloaded Civ IV complete and bought Civ V complete edition. Wish me luck.

Attached: 1wq6ZXq.jpg (1600x1212, 551K)

The AI in civ 5 is the dumbest most exploitable AI i've ever played against. Put troops on hills defending and they will attack them every time.

This. Civ 2 was the best, Civ 3 close second. All you zoomers don't understand how it is to lose 5 units, just because you've stacked them and lost them all, because the PC decided the perfect unit to defend your army is a CATAPULT with 1 DEFENSE.

play the Rhye's and Fall scenario in IV, it's the best thing.

>And the happiness mechanic alone is enough reason never to bother with 5.
>oh this one city on your border grew from 1 pop to 2, now your entire nation is mad at you

But for real though

the ai is competent enough in the combat system to at least pose a challenge in 4
trade is better in 4
roads can be demolished in 4
corporations were a great late game mechanic in 4 as where the releasable vassals
tile improvements, city improvements and great people weren't streamlined to the point of being dumbed down
I prefer the soundtrack of 4 because you hear the same songs too quickly in 5

5 has better religion mechanics imo
cultural victory is also a bit better in 5, it's has bit more active involvement

Start on Civ III and go from there.
People might complain about Civ VI being too cartoony, but it was really Civ IV that first broke away from the toned down, "earthly" artstyle of III and veered off into a more cartoony direction. Which was a pity.

4, 5, and 6 are all good, but you need to get complete versions for any of them. 5 is probably the best combination of accessibility and price.
2 is well worth playing too, as is Alpha Centauri. Avoid 3 and Beyond Earth.

Attached: 997284de0380be2a0b55a8f71e02a46b.jpg (411x321, 30K)

they're all bad

>Avoid 3
Tell me a story, user. I have a lot of nostalgia for III but I have never played any of the games that came before it. What makes it bad in ways that 2 isn't?

I haven't heard this in ages
thank you user

Attached: 1499894418205.jpg (513x419, 18K)

Just BTS

How easy is it to do no AI for c2c. Just want to do comfy sandbox.

It's Vbabbies who don't realise that 'realistic' games are destined to age like milk on a hot day. I love it, it's a natural evolution of what IV had and the leaders have a ton of personality to make up for the lack of backgrounds.

Attached: uploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F260586%2F3fadc32304b14686aa748f55e0a03847.jpg%2F950x534__filters%3Aquality% (950x534, 173K)

Civ 6 with mods and friends is pretty fun desu
Until you find out that the game spawned you next to some op modded civ and your fucked before you get to the medieval era. That sucks.
Though to be fair, i dont want to touch civ without mods and friends

>6 has ugly women
>those tits on Cleo

Attached: 1550864021593.gif (301x301, 360K)

I love Civ 5 and just surveying the random world generations

>SMAC
>Modded IV

and then don’t bother with the rest

Eleanor is cute! Cute!

Attached: eleanor-young.jpg (400x357, 67K)

Civ IV is objectively best gameplay but presentation aged really horribly. I couldnt find even simple 1080/widescreen resolution fix.
V&VI are fine games if you can get past that AI cant into hexes.

Drunken French Spy Waifu does things to my dick in a homely milf kind of way.

Should I get Stellaris or Civ VI? I want a fun 4x

Do not get Stellaris
It is literally broken, this is coming from someone who's put 300 hours into the game
They radically changed several game mechanics in recent months and they have not been properly fixed

>tfw got used to playing it in strategic view on my laptop and now I can't play in 3D mode anymore

Attached: 1535115798047.jpg (632x584, 139K)

if you're looking for one 20-30 hour playthrough, get stellaris
if you're looking for something that'll keep you occupied for a while, get civ IV or V (VI is ok but wait until all expansions are out and it goes on sale)

If you buy Stellaris make sure to pirate the DLCs.

at this point I'd say when it comes to expansions VI is about right
what it needs is a massive overhaul mod in the style IV and V got

Civ 4 Beyond the sword is the best.
5 is good but City states sucked dick

I have a laptop with a 940mx, i7, and 12 gigs of ram. The video card is a serious bottleneck. Should I limit myself to an older version or are they unoptimized to the point it won't help?

I have to ask this about every game now because Heroes of Might and Magic came out over a decade ago and will shut my laptop off from the heat.

I haven't played any besides CIV IV with Caveman to Cosmos in years.

with the vox populi mod city states are actually pretty great
you can no longer just buy influence and their missions are both more varied and more interesting
and course if you have a strong enough PC they make for excellent space-filling on the oversized maps

V and Beyond Earth run in my 2007 Acer Aspire.
Hope that answers your question. I just chose strategic view for V for fear of housefires and because turns take 5 minutes to load, but it runs.

Yeah never got too into mods on Civ.
I think they mostly fixed the tediousness of city states in 6

may I ask why?
one of the main draws of the civ games is how easily they're modded