Which is the better [Adjective phrase] Knight game? I can't make up my mind

Which is the better [Adjective phrase] Knight game? I can't make up my mind

SK has some of the most satisfying controls in any platformer I've played, but HK has such a strong atmosphere and instantly puts me in such a good mood to play

Attached: adjective knight.png (454x220, 144K)

I got way more out of Hollow Knight than I did with Shovel Knight. If HK puts you in such a good mood, then go with that.

Attached: 1545447976214.gif (500x186, 3.03M)

I don't think hours spent playing is a good measure of quality though. Hollow Knight is a bit longer than it should have been imo

They’re different games. You aren’t going to compare Super Metroid and Mario World very well.
I love Shovel Knight and all three play styles to death and have gotten Hurry Up on each character

I think there could still be some merit in comparing their strengths and weaknesses

Well one is a linear platformer and the other is a game about exploring a world by unlocking new tools.
The strength in Shovel Knight is that the entire game is able to be beaten without changing anything with such tight core mechanics is fun.
Specter Knight is unplayable without the Grind Mail once you’re use to it

They're different, but if I had to pick then Hollow Knight.

Kind of tough to say I think. I mean I could put a couple of hours into playing any one of the Shovel Knight games, 100% the game and feel extremely satisfied. Meanwhile if I'd put the same couple of hours into Hollow Knight I'd likely only progress through a tiny portion of the game (unless I was skipping or purposefully speed-running the game) and practically only get started. Getting way less satisfaction out of it.
But just the same if I was to spend the better part of the entire day, chances are I'd get more out of Hollow Knight. But then again Shovel Knight comes with several gamesand this process could be repeated. I could play Shovel Knight one day, Plague Knight the next, then Specter Knight another day, and soon also King Knight. And have an absolute blast each time. Of course 100%ing Hollow Knight is a massive endevour that you can get absolutely lost in for ages, which is great.

If I was to force an answer I'd probably say that I think Shovel Knight is much more explosively enjoyable. It's much more instantly satisfying and the enjoyment accelerates quickly. But I'd probably say that it also burns out quicker.
Hollow Knight meanwhile is a slower burn. It doesn't start anywhere near as explosive, and the enjoyment also doesn't accelerate as fast. But if you let it burn continuously I'd probably say that the enjoyment levels do exceed that of Shovel Knight eventually.

But here is the kicker. After you've fully completed Hollow Knight and mastered all of its challenges, I'd say it's still decently fun to replay from time to time but nothing too special. Meanwhile Shovel Knight is extremely replayable somehow so it's always a joy to return to it.
So I guess that Hollow Knight has the eventual higher highs, but that Shovel Knight has more appeal? Or no, not

Actually fuck it I don't know how to put it. They're both amazing games.

Hollow Knight is good, but its movement is really uninspiring and that's a big flaw for an action platformer.
After putting down a platformer for a while, I just need to get some warm up to go back to it. I was surprised by how quickly I got back to Dustforce after years without playing. I returned to Hollow Knight after some months and I had no idea on what the fuck I was doing for a long while because the controls feel so off, even though they are not nearly as complex as Dustforce's.
Hollow Knight is kind of like Baldur's Gate. It feels great because of its scope and presentation, but at its core, it isn't such a great game.

core of both games are platforming and combat and hollow knight does both better, while offering more things

Sounds like a subjective complaint to me, the movement felt great and White Palace / Path of pain took advantage of it nicely.

The Knight in Shovel Knight
Shovel Knight in Hollow Knight

Would it work?

Shovel Knight can't double jump so no. The knight would trivialize the game thanks to mobility and DPS.

>Hollow Knight is good, but its movement is really uninspiring
Watch someone complete Path of Pain and try to say this again with a straight face

I honestly don't understand how you can present the strengths of these two games and put "satisfying controls" on the side of SK over HK.

I played both recently for the first time, and the worst part of my decision was playing HK first, because it made SK's controls feel worse. I understand they're going for different things, and I enjoyed them both, but my entire time with SK I was missing the insanely tight controls of HK.

Hollow Knight would be a 10/10 if unconditional damage-on-contact had been reserved for enemies it made more sense for

Shovel Knight is a Megaman game while Hollow Knight is a Metroid game. You can't compare them.

They have much more in common than they do differences. Genres restrict good criticism

It is. Traversing a complex environment with bland controls does not make the controls less bland.

Shovel Knight is clearly Duck Tales. It's not really like Mega Man at all. Take out the health meters of the bosses and the similarities end.

Definitely Hollow Knight for the comfy ass settings and everything. Shovel knight is good but is it own style

Shovel Knight is an amalgamation of a bunch of NES games

But not Megaman. And the gameplay is almost fully Ducktales. Down to the movement, attacks, gem collecting, and stage platforms.
Ducktales is amazing though so there is no shame in that.

>bland controls

Platformers are meant to have simple controls. Just saying.

Shovel Knight is too derivative even for a nostalgia project and is too easy to beat. The average player will beat it in 4-6 hours, while completionists will maybe take an extra 1-2. Hollow Knight is generic but well made, and requires at least a modicum of effort to finish. The average player will beat it in 15-20 hours, and completionists will take up to 30-40.

Despite not releasing all of its DLC, delaying King Knight once again, Plague Knight just being a character/boss pack, selling merchandising rights, selling cameo rights, releasing to numerous platforms, selling millions of copies, and having a $300,000 kickstarter, Shovel Knight has had arbitrary price increase for new owners.
Team Cherry worked on a 57,000 AUS-funbux budget, released all of its DLC without price increase, and instead used its profits to turn the one paid DLC it was going to have into a full fledged new game instead of just a level/character pack.

Hollow Knight is by far the better example of an indie [Adjective] Knight game.

I think in terms of boss design and level ideas it defintely favors megaman
I mean look at that last boss rush. Its good shit

Yes but Factor in Shovel Knight literally has 3 unique campaigns

>Plague Knight just being a character/boss pack
Literally false. They tweak every level for Plague

Factor in that each one we have right now is only a few hours at most, Plague of Shadows is an almost exact copy of Shovel of Hope, and King of Cards has been delayed with no new release date in sight.
Barely. Outside of the Arcana challenge sections, the levels are a near-exact retread of what was in Shovel Knight's campaign. Put them side by side and you'll be playing a rather dull game of spot the difference.

Execpt that the fact Plague controls radically differently and makes every situation different just in control scheme alone

>Plague controls radically differently
Yes, that's what a character pack is you moron

Attached: 1540949215522.jpg (1200x800, 119K)

I don’t think you have played Plague Knight user.
He basically makes you rethink everything about the game

Name 3 examples

You spam bombs in mid-air before blasting off the walls with the Goo Cloak. It's fun, sure, but it's not as revolutionary as you're making it out to be, and it's not a "rethink everything" strategy that makes you fire off all neurons.
And again, it's still just a character pack

Attached: 1536115111354.png (454x445, 236K)

Seriously I don’t know what other games you play to have such goo character packs