Ok...

Ok, so I have never played any final fantasy games and the only jrpgs I've played are a couple hours of Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely default (disliked both).
I'm looking for a timesink with an engaging story+world and decent combat. Is this worth playing for someone like me?

Attached: ffxii-standard-packshot-2d-pegi-1489396729.jpg (1524x1902, 299K)

>have never played any final fantasy games
Then start with 1 you absolute dipshit

Or start with 13 since that's genuinely the best FF game

I don't like the combat in the typical jrpgs and I've heard that 12 is different.

Start with 7 and play through to 12. Don't listen to boomers who tell you to play 1-6 their opinion is cancer and their games are boring as fuck.

Yeah just die

>I tried these other two jap style rpgs and fucking hated them, didn’t play for more than ten seconds without offing myself. So should I play this other Japanese rpg?

Too dumb to exist

I'd recommend this honesty.

>timesink
>engaging world (story is a bit eh)
>decent combat
Yep, grab XII. Make sure you take the time to learn how to use gambits beyond "attack until you need to heal" if you want to make the most of the combat. And play on English voices.

Sick bait

No. The game has some good qualities but the story is not one of them (mainly due to poor casting choice of Vaan/Penelo). The combat is offline MMO. If you want a peak JRPG experience, pick FF8 or 10 (10 is unorthodox and the story is very linear but amazing). 7 and 9 are also great choices if you can get past the blocky characters and slow combat responsiveness.

XII is one of the worst ones. It has no memorable plot, the characters all have awful british accents, the game plays like an mmo, worse even its an mmo that LITERALLY plays itself, the combat system automatically does everything for you.

6 is the best game of all time and basically, you're a fucking tard

Just play 6 and 9

If you want to get into Final Fantasy then start with either 7 or 10. Do not play 13 like that dirty user suggests.
>and decent combat
Yeah nah you aren't getting that in Final Fantasy. You rarely get than in most jrpgs.

Fucking hated =/= disliked
Couple of hours =/= ten seconds

He played two really shitty nintendo rpgs though, don't blame him, the games are total trash for weebs.

Both 6 and 9 are fucking awful, your opinion is laughable. The plot of 6 is so bare bones and basic it always gives me a good chuckle when people talk highly of it. Bet you would like 9 though, you're probably an autistic furry.

sub-30 IQ post

>XII is one of the best ones
ftfy

>timesink
yes
>with an engaging story
no
>world
no
>and decent combat
fuck no

Weeb shit with english accents and political story but also half naked rabbit women. No you just like the most autistic shit

I thought my question was narrow enough but apparently it wasn't easy to answer anyway.

Attached: dissapointment.png (485x463, 69K)

You're never going to get a consistent on FF, especially on Yea Forums.
Play XII anyways it's great anyone who doesn't like it is a brainlet

REALLY bad combat, setting is so generic and boring, npcs are boring, all characters are bland and forgettable, story focus is on political issues in the world. Its literally not even a final fantasy game its a sequel to vagrant story that they slapped the final fantasy name on to sell copies.

Play VIII.

Attached: cdf79a22f0684741dafad8dcf84746d29dc07759.jpg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=353&w=616&a (616x353, 33K)

All you need to know is the game literally plays itself and its all really bland. Just play a different game in the series.

Welcome to Final Fantasy threads, where everyone is a shitflinging monkey. These threads hold the special distinction of being the only ones to not suffer a drop in quality in 2012 when shitposting hit critical mass.

Its by far the most boring game in the full series.

well they COULD get decent combat but you told them not to play 13

13 has great combat, it's just not what people expected. In some of the harder fights constantly switching between the right roles is pretty fun.

some games are better to start with than others, but many of them are good places to start, I would suggest VII X or XII as good starting places

>game literally plays itself
t. shitter who rushed through the story

It's the closest Final fantasy has ever imitated Wester PS2 RPGs like Summoner or bards tale

Auto battle seem unnecessary at first, but customizing the AI is treated like a secondary equipment system which I found engaging.

Also ignore the main game and focus on hunter missions. Main game is just a necessary step for unlocking the locations of hunter missions.

I'm also kind of curious about XII. I-VI are the classics and VII-X are the 3D classics. XII is caught between an MMO that's barely even compared to the other games and the fall from relevancy that is the XII trilogy and XV. I've picked up on some wildly differing opinions on XII.

If somebody recommends 7, 8, 9, 10 they are not shitposting. All of these games are amazing but sometimes you find a person that hates one or two of these. If you like the genre you will like at least one of them.

>And play on English voices.
Gideon Emery as Balthier is the best thing ever

I went through the entire game by pressing X and sometimes R1 on bosses. Don't tell me "but user it's about the stars" a trained monkey will finish the game and it won't even take long. You need 2, maybe 3 paradigms to quickly destroy everything and finish the game.

>reddit spacing

12 is literally just a retelling of star wars. The gameplay is also more like setting up some basic form of a bot so it can fight autonomous and you can run through the shit game on 4x speed.

>Dude what if we made literally half the cast be inconsequential to the story
>Dude what if we made a cast that barely says anything and almost never interacts with each other
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the last ten minutes
>Dude what if we took Final Fantasy Tactics' setting and made it a poor man's Star Wars
>Dude what if we gave the narrator a comical Apu accent
>Dude what if we made a political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans
>Dude what if we made a plot where the heroes have almost no impact on what happens until 95% of the way through the story and spend their time traipsing through non-descript caves and ruins
>Dude what if I'm Captain Basch
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
>Dude what if we made a battle system where you set everything up in advance so that you don't actually play the game
>Dude what if we made summons useless except for opening doors
>Dude what if instead of fun side quests we had only fetch/kill quests like in some generic MMO
>Dude what if instead of having fun side games like the motorcycle chase and Triple Triad we had nothing
>Dude what if we had really shitty music

Game is fucking garbage.

Attached: vaan-victoria-beckham.jpg (437x283, 26K)

>13 has great combat

>Party members act by themselves, the only input you have is selecting paradigms
>At the same time, you can't even play it as an action-RPG because it still uses a menu system while not providing any control over party members (thus defeating the whole point of using menus)
>It's almost impossible to actually lose, since there are no resources to manage or hard decision to make (e.g. medic never runs out of healing spells, you can spam them infinitely)

Attached: 1549337369609.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

should I get the X/X-2 remaster or DQ 11 Yea Forums? both are the same price on steam

>>Dude what if we had really shitty music
Most infuriating part of this pasta

I've also been thinking about DQ11. I like the artstyle but I have no idea what the combat is like.

DQ 11
Grab the orchestrated soundtrack mod
FFX and to an extent X-2 are great but wait until they're

>Most infuriating part of this pasta

>bland orchestral noodling (and not even an actual orchestra, it's weak-sounded synthesized crap)
>good

Yeah, no. For all my gripes with the FF series, the music in them tends to be at least range from decent to good. Not so with FF12, where the music was so mindbogglingly generic.

Imagine having taste this fucking bad

DQ XI
at fucking least its not a FFX-2 for gods sake

b8

>reddit is SO different from us hehe we are teh ultimate secret smart club xD

Yikes

THIS

Final Fantasy 12 is genuinely one of the worst games I have ever played.

>Recommending the original DQ11 when a new version with better ending options music and extra missions was just announced last week.

No

If you don't like prepping your characters with commands through menus outside of fights then don't even bother. It's a large part of the fun.

13 doesn't have great combat but it's better than this

Attached: Hold O to Win.webm (640x360, 2.66M)