Is luck a legitimate part of videogames?

Is luck a legitimate part of videogames?
Or even as a stat in RPGs?

Attached: luck 10.jpg (691x843, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/reviews/3310/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Luck is the maximum fun stat. If it's not in the game then I know your RPG has no soul.

What if it's in the game, but with a vague description and has no actual effect and is just a placebo?

Even a placebo has an effect.

Name ONE game that does this.

Either broken or useless.
Fallout 3 luck was too easy

Luck is at its best when high luck produces hilarious situations just like low luck would.

castlevania dawn of sorrow

black desert online, probably

It depends.
>competitive player vs player game
Any amount of luck ruins the game
>casual player vs player game
Luck elements add tons of fun to the game
>game is singleplayer
Now it depends on what it does, if luck decides if you can win or not, then it's complete garbage.

It's a part of life.

It's everything to do with life.
You were part of a tadpole lottery

because we live in a determinist world, luck is the most grounded in reality stat there is

>decides if you can win or not
What if it's a stat like any other, in that to build it you have to take away from others (i.e. nearly all 'luck' stats when it's used)
Imagine the equivalent of a charisma build, but it's certain scripted events and parts of the story that you have to look for instead of conversations

Without luck, you're playing chess. A game with extremely deep and complex strategy, but utterly tedious and boring.

Luck as a stat tends to come as either a stat boost or chance for attacks to wiff. Randomized elements that make the game less about meta strategies are good.

Luck should effect your drop rate as well as your chance of hitting a critical strike and chance of glancing (taking reduce damage)

>Dump all points into Luck
>No Charisma
>No Strength
>No Dex
>Can't pass speech checks to get people to off themselves but they die of bizzare accidents shortly after anyway
>Enemies get final destination'd when you confront them
>As you bumble fuck around with your weapons clumsily you accidentally maim everything around you

The best stat

Attached: 1509815947086.png (580x600, 56K)

Depends on the game.
If getting lucky to win is the main part of the game then its a terrible game

>Amerimutt's currency is so weak it melts in your pocket
LMAO

Attached: 1524468486181.jpg (413x395, 31K)

I only like it when it states what it does and how it does it. Like it gives certain percentage to your attack or other stats or something like that, when its vague then is a nono.

Attached: laughing-squashed-frog-3.png (551x242, 201K)

>Luck/Agility build

Attached: Chan.jpg (216x300, 15K)

A pocket can be over 250 degrees with all those layers of fat though.

If you make an RPG and there's no Luck stat or some equivalent, your game is a manufactured soulless product and may as well not exist. This is a fact. If you make an RPG and decide to exclude luck, the game was probably designed by committee with the help of focus groups or something. If you've ever, even ONCE in your life played Dungeons & Dragons, which is necessary to understanding what makes a good RPG, you will understand why Luck is a crucial element.

[Luck 7] Ice cream.

[Success] Ice cream? I love ice cream!

Where are her panties?

Are there any video games that implement omens as a mechanic? Like some random events happen in the game and they affect your luck for a while.

Wouldn't a bullet hitting the coins in your pocket still hurt like a bitch

Only thing I can kind of think of is Sierra builders like Caesar 3 the gods would fuck you up randomly if you didn't appease them

Yes
Some people say that the pain is worse than straight up getting shot

Better than dying.

Uh, yes? There would be no video games without it.

Bruise or hole
your choice

I liked it how they did it in Ragnarok.
It increases your chance of resisting status effects, but less than Vit, so you might be a lucky and not get inflicted, but if you aren't you can always rely on Vit. It also increases your chances to 'Perfect Evade' which completely ignores the check of the enemies' hit chance against your flee.
On top of the usual crit chance and being the base stat for certain other skills of course.

Luck in an RPG is not necessary because every person already has a real life luck stat that affects everything.
So really, putting luck into an RPG is just a double layer of luck, and the luck stat in an RPG is but a pale imitation of the real thing.
However, one could try to escape from their real life luck stat by playing an RPG. However, unlike some other stats, it is very hard to live out your escapism concerning such a far reaching power.

Attached: thinking.jpg (560x375, 15K)

Yeah I bet everyone can agree those old Paper Mario games had absolutely no soul whatsoever.

Attached: 1550276736360.jpg (960x960, 91K)

>Getting punched by a high speed projectile that hits a small metal disc which is perfect for relaying shockwaves over a larger area
or
>The sweet embrace of death and ultimate freedom serving your country

t. Pete

Not really, if you take two players with the exact same build and equips, but different irl luck, there would be no way to reflect that if you took the luck stat away. It's necessary to weed out the unlucky.

Luck is extremely nebulous, there is no need to nail it down and make it an objective stat (which somewhat destroys the intangible nature of luck).

Just make a VOTOMS vidya to show what a legit, canon infinite luck looks like.

Attached: 1530617393632.jpg (350x352, 32K)

It affects item drop rates

>you can pray in game
>nobody knows what it does
>except for the game devs

Attached: ss (2019-02-22 at 04.56.51).png (781x97, 12K)

It will affect your judgement and have you potentially just jump into something risky, so even with a high chance of failure, if you succeed I guess it worked. Too bad something like that would get datamined quick.

IRL luck isn't real

It's actually bugged, so for it to do something you need ridiculous amounts of it.
romhacking.net/reviews/3310/

Okay, better implementation: the game has a Luck stat, that increases drop rates and all that, but the stat itself is set randomly when you create your character, and can't be changed. Deleting your character and creating another one doesn't change it either.

bad game design

Says you. Most people do not share your opinion. The fact that developers put luck into their RPGs as a stat says otherwise as well.

I like that. Except for the "creating a character doesn't change it." The stat should be tied to a character, since a new character is a new person. However, perhaps the stat is hidden, or is only revealed by playing as the character through the gameplay.

>Okay, better implementation: the game has a Luck stat, that increases drop rates and all that, but the stat itself is set randomly when you create your character, and can't be changed.

Monster Hunter had this on accident for charm drop tables and it SUCKED

>Says you. Most people do not share your opinion.
Try flipping a coin 10 thousand times and see if your "luck" makes it any higher than 50/50

Attached: 1537404835142.png (403x448, 53K)

Wasn't that table thing determined when you first made your character?

Games that do that have a special place in the fires of recycle plants

>averages
>go do something 1,000 times
>instead of the one of two times that actually matter
>somehow this disproves luck
lmao. Get a load of this hot shot.

>he thinks coin flips are 50/50

fitting picture there, buddy

intredasting
user comments there question if it was really a bug though, as if it was already fine for item drops but not for souls

?

Attached: maxresdefault (8).jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Dead by Daylight has a useless luck stat.

When playing as a survivor, if the killer knocks you down and then places you on a sacrificial hook, you can try to wiggle off the hook and escape. There is a baseline 4% luck chance to wiggle off the hook each attempt. You are allowed to wiggle off at the cost of 16% of a meter that upon reaching 50% (so 3 escape attempts unless you take a perk that makes it 4) makes it so you can't wiggle anymore and if it reaches 0% you are dead. There is 1 perk which allows a 100% chance to wiggle off a hook, but ONLY after YOU YOURSELF save someone else from a hook.

It is POSSIBLE to reach 48% luck with offerings (1 time use items that effect the match before it starts) and perks builds, but ONLY if multiple people are running a specific perk that grants luck to the whole team and stack specific offerings that are used to boost luck before the game starts. This however is universally agreed upon to be severely hindering, as people could be using a much more useful perk instead, and using offerings to boost the points they gain in game whether they win or lose or maybe do some other effect like going to a specific map for the match.

In effect, everyone knows that luck is literally useless in DBD.

>being so fucking stupid you don't understand how basic probability works and believe in magic instead

Attached: 1534598834714.jpg (400x424, 23K)

>use any attack guaranteed to hit
GG

>he thinks luck is magic
wtf user.
Luck and probability exist side by side. In fact, probability provides the foundation for observing luck. They don't fight each other.

If you think certain people are more likely to have probability land where they want it to than other people, you believe in magic.

It's just observably true user, I don't proclaim to understand the mysteries of the universe. Also "I" don't believe in "magic", the vast majority of the world believes in luck.

What game? Religion in a game done fucking right.

Luck and rng is legit for fags. Especially since I myself dont give a shit about the most powerful stuff. I just want to use what I think looks hella cool loot wise and gameplay wise if rng is there to fuck me. I will hard skip. This is why I no longer play darkest dungeon or x com

>It's just observably true user
It literally isn't. It's basic probability.

Most people don't believe in luck as some innate advantage, people just say you "were lucky" afterwards when probability happens to land in your favor. Anyone who thinks they're more likely to get what they want out of chance is a fucking crackpot because it's demonstrably not true and the lottery is making millions off of gullible morons like you.

shitty browser-based rpg called the west

The lowest and most plebian of opinions.
> I just want to use what I think looks hella cool loot wise
Yet you can't follow through when it matters the most. Freeing earth without using alien tech like plasma and psionics is difficult, but doable and fun.

> people just say you "were lucky" afterwards when probability happens to land in your favor.
Yeah, and a person who has this happen most of the time is observably lucky. Simple stuff really.

>and the lottery is making millions off of gullible morons like you.
I believe in luck, not that I am Luck incarnate. Literally have never bought a scratcher, never been to Vegas, never gambled at a single machine. The most gambling I've ever done is poker night with friends.
Gambling is not one of my vices.

>Yeah, and a person who has this happen most of the time is observably lucky.
No they aren't, it's just fucking RNG. There's no innate power making it happen, and like I already said, the fact that repeated attempts average out to the chance percentage prove it wrong. If you believe in luck you believe in magic.

Are you just shitposting at this point or are you actually this stupid?

>No they aren't, it's just fucking RNG
We've already been over this user. RNG informs luck. Honestly you just sound like an angry low luck person; a lucklet if you will.

Attached: 1458317317989.jpg (690x720, 132K)

Some people have the RNG land on numbers that benefit them more than other people.

i.e. luck

then based luck becomes the challenge run stat.

>We've already been over this user. RNG informs luck.
RNG informs pure random RNG. You are a moron if you think anyone has an advantage.

Sorry user, but you are blind for not seeing what's obvious. Everyday you turn on your tv, listen to the radio, watch a youtube video, or interact with other people and you can see the grim/bright harsh/soft reality of people with bad/good luck.
Observation is something you don't seem to keen on.
But it's okay, Luck is just as immutable and unchangeable as Probability itself. You can live your entire life denying luck, you can acknowledge luck, you can even worship luck. None of this however, will actually affect anything, as luck simply is.

Sorry user, but you are blind for not seeing what's obvious. It's demonstrably false that any individual has higher chances on a flat RNG roll and believing otherwise puts you in the same bucket as adults who believe in Santa.

>Everyday you turn on your tv, listen to the radio, watch a youtube video, or interact with other people and you can see the grim/bright harsh/soft reality of people with bad/good luck.
Observation is something you don't seem to keen on.
This is literal retard logic. You're looking at cherrypicked stories and thinking that's data.

>You're looking at cherry-picked stories and thinking that's data.
I don't read article and stories about luck, they are just everywhere you go, because it's an observable part of life.

I see you are doing the old "I'll throw your words back at you" shtick, but you must realize that by doing this you are simply acknowledging the superior fashion in which I am structuring my arguments. This does not mean I am right, but it does show you may be a bit out of your league. It's no use user, luck doesn't need you.
Don't worry too much about it, you will be fine, a small blindside is a natural occurrence in all humans.
Regardless, we have exhausted the topic of conversation quite thoroughly, it is clear that nothing new will come from this discussion between just our two parties.
I bid you farewell.

Attached: 1498107440419.png (500x500, 309K)

>they are just everywhere you go, because it's an observable part of life.
They're everywhere because notable things that happen get attention over the thousands of non-notable things that happen in between you stupid fuck. Do you not know what cherrypicking means?

>Regardless, we have exhausted the topic of conversation quite thoroughly, it is clear that nothing new will come from this discussion between just our two parties.
I bid you farewell.
Thanks for admitting you were wrong and that you think magic is real!

That looks like the coins in his pocket stopped a bullet.

>playing anything other then crit builds

Crit should be dex though

I don't know, you tell me. How else am I one-shotting near everything with my sniper build in F:NV?

Attached: snipe.png (1651x923, 889K)

Why would it do anything? Just like in real life, you're just talking to yourself anytime you pray.

Attached: 1533071250228.jpg (530x530, 54K)

On the subject of probability, what the fuck are the odds that every person experiences a 50/50 split of favorable vs unfavorable events in their life? Good things happen to some people more often than others. That's luck.

Attached: no keys.png (350x350, 17K)

Ultimately depends on the game. Some games its useless(DbD), some games its game breaking (Vesperia)

>Good things happen to some people more often than others. That's luck.
No, that's a mix of random probability and relevant factors like how responsible you are and how dangerously you live. Stop being an idiot.

Its not even us currency dude

They look like sone kind of euro or loony

Low luck shitters deserve to have their guns explode in their faces while I'm landing crits like it's my business.

Yale would like to have a word with you.

They literally had a study that said the biggest denominator or success is luck.

Lets see your ivy league doctorate faggot

>actually being this fucking stupid
"Luck" in that context just means what cards happened to fall on a few rolls that snowball into your success. It's like saying you were lucky when something good happens to you, it's just terminology for commenting on the result of chance. It doesn't mean you have some magic power, and the whole subject of this argument is about some retard earlier who thought some people are innately more or less lucky than others.

I just told you to stop being a retard

This game is horrifying
The last item-related achievement I got was long after getting all marks on Lost and Greed and such, it was the fucking Jumper Cables
>3 of 5 items in the entire game
>2 are trinkets, no reliable way of finding them
>All the rest are shop items
>Meaning if you don't get lucky with money right near the beginning, you might not be able to get them when you do see them anyway
>Or spend hours trying to get the infinite shop, requiring massive luck by finding 2 Greed/Super Greed fights AND a restock (which you still have to buy)
I only got it because I had serious luck with a D100 and loads of batteries, and managed to roll onto a 9 Volt while holding the Cell

Attached: HELP ME.png (669x606, 95K)

The entire Ivy League circuit really only exists to keep the birth lottery rolling. It's class warfare in action.

Nope.

You can play a gacha game and prove that luck does indeed exist when you happen to get the characters you want when other folks spend literally thousands of dollars to get jack shit.

>RNG is innate magic power attached to you and not others
You are retarded

The largest success are born of luck

Unless you think whatever you did to be successful you where the only one doing it or you think you are doing it the best, becasue the best or works the hardest is hardly ever as successful as something that got some lucky pr and blew up

Please actually read the post you just replied to you dumb shit.

We're talking about luck being something people have that makes them more likely to get what they want, not the impact of random chances.

>jealous that his autism scares away lady luck like it did all the other women in your life

Attached: 56546201654.jpg (310x288, 28K)

Thanks for admitting you were wrong!

The post literally defines luck as a thing so idk what you or him is trying to accomplish with these mental gymnastics

If you get lucky, is that not having luck? Because thats what that post is trying to say.

>If you get lucky, is that not having luck? Because thats what that post is trying to say.
That's not what the debate was about. I literally just said it in the post I already told you to actually read.

But playing XCOM isn't about luck, is about strategy. Is about thinking before acting, preparing yourself before engaging and adjusting your moves to match whatever the enemy throws at you. If you cannot win a certain fight, you can always tell Brazil to go fuck itself and get out to avoid losing your resources, but you need to keep everything at balance in order to not give the ayys too much advantaged, like bases or conquered countries.

t. Someone who already won 2 superhuman ironman runs while posting them live on Yea Forums.

You define luck, then say its not luck its somthing else that is a factor of someone benefiting from chance

Learn 2 English

"Luck" is either a term people use for RNG happening to fall where they want it to, or fairy tale bullshit where people believe they're more likely to have RNG fall where the want. The first guy was arguing for the latter and I was telling him how it's demonstrably not true. The Yale study refers to the former. I shouldn't have to spoonfeed you this hard.

>Learn 2 English
The irony

They look like Belgian Franks, it says "L'union fait la force" and the date looks like 1909, so I assume WWI.

It's 6 2-euros

Luck is just shorthand for beneficial chance. If you have rnjesus on your side are you not lucky? Do you not have luck if you often benefit from random chance?

That's correct, that's not what the first guy said though and that's what I was arguing against. I just explained it to you. I'm not wasting my time talking to someone who can't read.

Dude, of course thinking 'I will win this gamble because I am lucky' is fucking stupid. If you make a bet on a coin toss and lose, you didn't lose because you're unlucky, you're unlucky because you lost.
If you challenge someone to a coin toss and lose three times in a row, you are unlucky and the other person is lucky. Does this 'luck' demonstrated here have any affect on future events? No, it's complete chance. But if you could tally it all up and somehow quantify the amount of good random chance events vs bad random chance events of every person on the planet, statistically there will be outliers, and very few will sit right at the middle. Where someone falls on this spectrum is what makes people consider a person to be lucky or not. No shit it's not fucking magic.

Attached: 1423435803950.gif (190x230, 93K)

>Dude, of course thinking 'I will win this gamble because I am lucky' is fucking stupid.
>No shit it's not fucking magic.
Why did you start an argument with me just to agree with me? This wouldn't have happened if you had actually read the conversation you entered.

I don't fucking know man, I guess I worded my shit poorly or something. I was trying to dispute the idea that if you flip a coin 100 times, you'll wind up with 50 heads 50 tails or close to it because probability. That wouldn't happen for most people.

Attached: 1538292901389.png (433x309, 110K)

>the idea that if you flip a coin 100 times, you'll wind up with 50 heads 50 tails or close to it because probability. That wouldn't happen for most people.
It literally will though

You are so wrong dude
I cant provd it but i am the luckiest human alive

see

>turn on console/computer
>it works
>load up game/insert disc
>it runs
>plug in controller
>it works

that's enough luck for me

I think luck is a good way to enhance gameplay if it doesn't completely make or break your game. I think Fallout NV did it well.

On the other hand, if luck can screw you bigtime (Civ4 where a unit always dies after combat) then it can be a detriment. Overall I think it is useful for gamplay variety

Attached: UNCIVS.png (1922x1080, 770K)

I liked playing oblivion with over 100 luck, almost every rock had maximum number of drops and ive found better gear in them than anything I get from quests. When luck affects loot, its great.

Just gave it a shot for shits and giggles, not doing 100 but out of 30 I ended up with 19 heads 11 tails. What does it mean

It means you don't even know the first things about probability

>not doing 100

you fucked up stop being lazy

>gets BTFO
>still tries to get the last word in
lmao

It means you are throwing them in such a way that the chance of it landing on heads is a bit higher.

You? Yeah.
Feel free to actually provide a counter argument, whenever you're ready

Luck is needed in every game, from FPS games to Strategy games. Even fighting games. Luck is a legitimate part of videogames and I love it when I get hit by a good streak.

probability is hard for primate brains because we're bad at scope and have confirmation bias out the ass, and that's even before streaks and the difference between the odds of a steak and the odds of an individual flip

you need a large sample size (and a fairly balanced coin, and a standardized flip) to have accurate results, and you get bored after 30 flips? that's nothing at all

>game has luck/ fate magic and doesn't just relegate that shit to rogues and thieves
n o i c e

Attached: S10divineemperor.jpg (250x350, 16K)

LUCK IS A SKILL

Luck isn't a good stat because it's either utterly useless or the best stat in the game. I can't think of a single game where luck is just "good".

>mfw game devs can't program true luck because it doesn't even exist in reality

Attached: fuck.jpg (250x164, 37K)

risk assessment and RNG manipulation is a skill

>tfw devs made diabolical matchmaking algorithms that makes sure you aren't ever getting more than 50% good games in competitive online games

Wish I had luck with me on that one, but this time the faggot devs won.

>get matched with people at your skill level
>win roughly 50% of your games
woah weird it must be some kind of conspiracy

Funny enough, everytime I'm about to progress the ladder it always matches me with literal brainlets and the enemy team with MLG-tier commandos. Totally not a built in buffer :^)

American quarters have copper in them, so they aren't entirely silver like those. And dollar coins are gold. And those are too small to be a 50 cent piece, not that anyone in the US has those besides maybe a bank.

i think you'd probably walk away with a fractured/broken bone in either situation

probably still beats bleeding out however

Are you talking about Riot Games? randos vs premades was the point i left the game