>robot character
>music
CONS
>miserably clunky combat
>shallow depth
>slow pacing
>anime art style
>mindless combat

Chrono Trigger is honestly not very good.

It has a boring combat system that is a clunky hybrid of turn-based and real-time (ATB). Enemies pose no threat and deal a fraction of the damage the player character is capable of dishing out. There's almost no interesting spells or status effects, almost every ability simply deals damage. Dual/triple techs are just boring variations on the same 'do tons of damage' or 'heal tons of HP' template.

There's barely any exploration, it's a time travel game that is somehow completely on rails. Your only choice is how soon you want to end the game by teleporting to Lavos, and even that is realistically only a choice on New Game Plus.

It has incredibly shallow writing. Not a single character has a distinct voice, apart from Frog's heavy-handed Ye Olde English shtick. Everyone is a cliched archetype, the rebellious princess, the geeky scientist anime girl, the noble knight suffering from a curse, etc. We don't even know a single thing about Crono, ostensibly the main character. What does he do for a living? Does he still go to school? That's how barebones the narrative is.

The multiple endings are even shallower than the overall narrative: they're either superficial variations on the same happy ending, or even worse, easter egg/joke endings. They're completely pointless and contribute nothing to the game.

Time travel is not even used in any meaningful way: instead of traveling back in time to prevent Lavos from becoming a threat, the characters travel forward in time to face him at the height of his powers and beat him up. The doom of all mankind, that destroyed a sci-fi civilization with advanced weaponry, can be punched to death by three teenagers. How does that make sense?

It's not awful, but the fact that its voted as nr. 1 rpg of all time in literally every top rpg list is absurd. I can only assume it's because of nostalgia due to people having grown up with it in their formative years.

Attached: Consider.jpg (600x600, 32K)

there are at least five documentations on Chrono Trigger being an effective video game which are held in esteem by major critics

>miserably clunky combat
>shallow depth
>mindless combat
>>hurr lemme repeat myself 3 times to make it seem worse
>slow pacing
Wrong
>anime art style
Cringe amerifat o

It has been validated for decades but obviously a retarded piece of shit zoomer would not know this.

It's actually one of the worst RPGs ever made.

>2d graphics
>made in japan
>dragon ball artstyle
>generic grpg gameplay
>world is very empty and boring

I recently got into Nintendo RPGS and completed and loved Earthbound and i tried Chrono Trigger but it really wasn't that fun, all the bosses had some gimmick which when you found out, you could just spam aoe heal and do the one move other and other til dead

the other battles were easy and boring, i love time travel stuff but the story was too simple, like it was made for kids (guess it was)

This might be the absolute laziest bait I have ever seen

>DUDE THE GAME PEOPLE LIKE IS BAD PLEASE FOR CHIST SAKE LISTEN TO ME ITS FRIGGIN BAD its bad not good! Ugh its just so overrated, good thing I was here to give it a real second look. Hopefully the internet's opinion will now shift that I, the main character of life, has made my declaration
Fuck this gay site, especially this board. Even this on topic discussion is so passive aggressive and pathetic.

I love it when someone tries so hard to samefag by changing his IPs every post but have no one actually talk to each other so you have an equal amount of IPs and posts with no one responding to each other

Maybe they have different IPs because they're literally not the same person

Attached: 1550019270453.jpg (310x313, 25K)

Why wouldn’t they be agreeing with each other about how bad the game is then?

Attached: 619FCB48-997C-4A39-8D54-A23D4325B945.png (240x207, 2K)

Does it really bother you that I like the game?

I played it as an old man on an emulator with no nostalgia.
That game made me FEEL something, something special I only felt with the best games. I use it as a reference for other games. I wish I was a better wordsmith but damn this was a good fun game with a fantastic score

I've never finished a JRPG, or SRPG, or what have you pick-the-attack/magic/buff/debuff/item-from the-list game other than Pokemon Red when I was too young to know better games. They're all so tedious.

Attached: 1464035133670.png (500x483, 326K)

I only played the DS version. Did I play it wrong?

You should try CT, it’s not really much of an actual jrpg but a solid time with music and pixel art

I did.

hi its me the dipshit contrarian

How much time did you put on it?

The only bad versions of the game are the PS version and the original Steam version.
They’ve actually cleaned up the steam port quite nicely. I prefer SNES translations but it doesn’t matter much

Meant to address

so much samefagging

It's too far back to remember much, maybe 10 hours.

It was popular then and it is popular now. It doesn't matter whether you can articulate the reason behind it or not.

ur mum was popular then and your (half) sisters are popular now lmao

It's a great game. Better than FF6 in every way.

>held in esteem by major critics
>major critics
>of video games

asking Yea Forums about games or reading videogames reviews?
which poison should i pick?

Chrono Trigger was the first SNES game I ever finished and I loved every second of it. I was born in 1999, the nostalgia argument is invalid.

Ask for something in the middle of a semi-related thread.
That way you don’t attract dedicated autists

SPBP. This is why I can't take people seriously when they treat Chrono Trigger as the Holy Grail of RPGs. It's so overly simplistic. There's no strategy. There's no challenge. It's a time travel game, but it is extremely linear.

>>>rules/2

samefag

Try again, kid. Do you need a safe space so no one criticizes your precious Baby's First RPG?

Every Square game is extremely linear. Not sure where this muh linear meme came from after FF13 came out. They're all like that.

ok OP

This entire series, basically. They claim it's the best in the genre yet Fire Emblem fans can't even agree on which games in the series are good lol

Attached: Fire_Emblem_series-1024x635.jpg (1024x635, 224K)

Attached: Doom_1280w.jpg (1280x640, 264K)

Attached: LTTP.jpg (425x290, 28K)

lol excuse me?

Attached: ROMANCING-SAGA-2-3-BOX-Nintendo-Super-Famicom.jpg (363x400, 46K)

>using Baby First as an argument
opinion discarded.

>expecting a dumb CTbaby to even know what SaGa is

Attached: 1550843622383.png (370x320, 21K)

obsessed

>great artstyle
>memorable characters
>great music
>gameplay is the best of its era when compared to other top dogs (Dragon quest, Final fantasy 456)
and before you say its nostalgia, it came out a year before i was born.

Attached: 1550855174438.png (782x493, 253K)

>>gameplay is the best of its era

>simplistic menu-based combat (with the added shittiness of ATB)
>best of its era

Attached: 12344889445.jpg (2000x1797, 853K)

>miserably clunky combat
I fucking stopped here.

FUCK OFF WRPG-KUN

Good post. Agree 100%

Bad post. Disagree 100%.

FF6 is a better game than Dark Sun. And I am a CRPG fag.

>It has incredibly shallow writing
I guess the game and you have something in common.

>FF6 is a better game than Dark Sun.

>And I am a CRPG fag.
Well the last word of that sentence is certainly accurate.

Attached: 1j9ywu.jpg (400x369, 77K)

whatever wrpg fag.

Attached: 220px-Wizardry_8_box.jpg (220x283, 19K)

Based and t'rang-pilled.

youtube.com/watch?v=yGP8n5VgSmQ

Attached: 2KyyxpZ.png (1200x635, 1.29M)

Shitty thread

This is a high brow insult

>japanese game
>best at anything
Fucking wrong. They will forever be trying to play catch up to the West.

>The definitive Zelda game.
>It improved so much over the first Zelda.

It's not that difficult to improve on a mess of a game.

keep seething wrpg-kun.