>Carbine shut down
>Capcom Vancouver closed
>Anthem flops - Bioware is next
>AAA unable to be "successful" with $7B in sales
>Mobile saturated
>VR a complete meme
>even half decent Indieshit lost in eshop noises
Here we fucking go boys

Attached: 1434610766466.jpg (871x865, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-19-square-enix-consolidating-its-business-divisions
lmgtfy.com/?q=fail upwards meaning
theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/11/imf-financial-crisis-david-lipton
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firemonkeys_Studios#Games
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good, we need a purge

>western studios/devs

nothing of value was lost

We need an algorithm for better discovery of decent indie stuff desu. This would help bring back the soul into gaming.Western AAA in its current state can die tough.

They deserved it for ruining Guild Wars.

High revenue income for big title games (x mill or x bill dollars income) and not being successful in companies eyes is fucking mind blowing to me.

Like, how much fucking money can you possibly be spending on advertising and all that bullshit (because it obviously isn't going into the games themselves or the devs/employees) that making BILLIONS isn't enough to recoup.

It's fucking insane. Gaming advertising needs to seriously stop being what it is. It needs to be more simple. It doesn't need to be a 100mil dollar commercial. Just make it a fucking simple ad of the game and what it's like.

Attached: 1532395629832.jpg (591x508, 72K)

Because they make massive amounts of money for the games that are successful and everyone in the west wants that

Investors want exponential grow, it your revenue sn't doubling each year, the sell it and jump on the next fad/company. Welcome to the free market.

Dont forget a big one
>square cuts down their 11 teams to a measly 4
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-19-square-enix-consolidating-its-business-divisions

The entire industry is crashing

Should have gone with the monthy sub in GW2.

>local unemployed woman yells at her cats and twitter

>how do capitalism be workings?
Goddamn nigger

I'm not gonna claim I'm some genius investor or something but literally how retarded do you have to be to spend millions and millions on something while making the quality worse and still expecting high reviews and high sales and high income. It's like.. it's literal first grade level IQ needed to understand that it shouldn't be done that way.

Have they never heard of tempered expectations? Instead of spending 500mil while not just spend 50mil or something and fund the game more so it is actually a good game. Then they'd actually make some fucking money back.

Investors don't give a shit about the companies or the quality they make or even stability.
Investors want to increase the worth of their shares/investment and because of this they demand constant infinite growth.
When a company can no longer grow and "merely" stabilized, investors cash out on their shares causing the value to plummet to rock bottom and move on to the next cashcow to rape.
Welcome to capitalism.

Guildwars is the reason COH is dead they deserve shutting down

I guess it wasn't me getting old but games being shit then.

Forgot to add:

>Valve's newest game down to 600 concurrent players and Steam now has to compete against a storefront with a large user base and much better terms for developers.

maybe gabe will ave to layoff his 1000 cooks

>spend millions and millions on something while making the quality worse and still expecting high reviews and high sales and high income
Because that works for a sort therm profit. You squeeze some company, reap the revenue, sell this (now) dumpster fire and move to the next profitable company.

had to squeze that feminisum in there huh, dumb bitch

video games is an unstable luxury market, people who are fine with it being unstable and want high returns invest in it
if you just wanted a safe investment that'll make you some money back for granted then you don't invest in video games, you invest in an agriculture or transport business, because there'll be always demand for food and transport
there's no point in investing video games for the chance of having a small return, it's either a big return or it's meaningless
the only way out of it is if you stay away from the stock market and just make games out of passion but that's becoming less and less viable with technology improving and people having higher expectations from games

He'll "layoff" (see: eat) the devs before that.

>The entire industry is crashing
good, a lot of devs need to never make another game again

If the market collapses, what would the fate of the various companies be?

EA: Will probably be wounded and the higher ups will probably try to abandon ship. What remains probably won't be the EA we know.

Sony: Will be hurt a little, but the videogame market is a drop in the bucket to them. They may restructure to pick up some surviving third parties and turn them into second parties, and eventually be the flagship that revives the industry.

Microsoft: Will be a drop in the bucket to them, but it will force them to change what the focus of the XBox line is. May double down on the idea of being a general entertainment device instead of a gaming device.

Nintendo: Will likely be unharmed, relatively speaking, despite the loss of revenue, with their lower-end hardware and end product-focused strategies ultimately being able to weather through the storm, briefly becoming the 'Only Game in Town'.

I wonder what cases people are demanding more for games. As far as graphics are concerned I think games are as good visually as they can ever get.

Wait untill Bernie wins and game devs unionize.. That will be the final nail and prosumers will pirate forever.. Just like movies and Hollywood.

>EA
Will survive thanks to the sports games. Might keep small teams making vidya, preparing for the future.

>Sony
Worst case they'll close their games and hardware branches. Chances they'll keep some teams like EA tho.

>Microsoft
Like Sony, give or take.

>Nintendo
At worst they'll keep selling cardboard to launder yakuza money.

Don't fuck with gamers in favour of broader audience and too inflated profits.
Gaming is the last bastion of sticking it to corporations. Music is dead, movies are dead, gaming? Make an April's fool joke, destroy a company.

Fuck unionized gaming. Keep it as is and listen to the core fans before you go broader.

Attached: japbased.jpg (1233x510, 145K)

can't wait to go back to the glorious age of AA games

sony will be hurt a lot, playstation is their only profitable division, they've been bleeding out for ages, and this may finish them off
I see samsung possibly getting into the console business within 5-10 years, they have been emerging as sony's replacement at everything anyway

agree with all the rest

It’s almost like the primary group of people that have supported the industry don’t like being insulted, ignored in favor of a group that does not buy games but watches streamers, and/or trying to be wrung out of as much money as possible

Gee it's almost like infinite growth isn't actually sustainable

There literally CANNOT be a crash. Not a real one. But maybe the unsustainable AAA fuckwits will get fucked. That's entirely possible. But it will only affect organizations who acted like fuckwits. Consumer faith in the industry is unkillable at the moment.

Western games are trash

isn't SIE the only profitable branch of Sony? I doubt they'll close that.

It is. Their movie branch has been bleeding money. I guess theres also Aniplex or whichever branch owns FGO.

There MUST be a crash, regardless of consumer interest. All of this pushing for more spending to gain more profit to do more spending to gain more profit, on and on forever, that's for shareholders, not for consumers. The market is going to crash because the business model the companies in this market are pursuing is not sustainable. You can't keep going up and up forever without coming down. It can't work any other way.

At the end of the day, they're using sales to justify stock pushes to shareholders. What they actually gain from sales is just a percentage of what they gain from investment though, so the people who actually buy the games are naturally going to take a back seat to the people who pay the bills for the studio, resulting in business decisions that alienate the consumer to satisfy the shareholder.

Pretty much. All their other brands (electronics, music, pictures etc) have long since been eclipsed by most other brands, mainly Samsung.

>MUST
Stopped reading. It's not gonna happen.

I'm sure their pictures branch is siphoning a lot of money, leadership is pants-on-head retarded there

>even half decent Indieshit lost in eshop noises
Name one good indie game that was lost to time solely because of asset flip noise drowning it out. Good games are always discovered.

And pretty much everything else you said aside from mobile saturation is a good thing. And Visceral, but we have EA solely to blame for that. Thanks for shilling Apex so much and making sure EA has no trouble sticking around and continuing to screw the industry, Yea Forums!

You forgot Starbreeze.

It's not just male execs that fail upwards dear roasties, it's the entire industry. Including you and your "creative lead" labor and the 800 "creative" employees on every video game developing company that are just there to spread ideology and shove their dumb unwanted ideas into a beloved franchise.

Attached: 1tp5z2.jpg (604x604, 118K)

isnt this the dumb bitch that got fired for being a cunt on twitter

it is happening
overabundance of shit games all chasing the same eyeballs and dollars, meanwhile dev costs continue to rise with each gen, cost of living goes up while fiat loses value slowly

the limit has been reached, and we haven't even hit the global recession/depression or WW3 yet

I want to add
>Bethesda still running on an outdated engine and making terrible games

I don't think you understand what "failing upwards" means.

>overabundance of shit games all chasing the same eyeballs and dollars
Meaning that over ambitious AAA titles are ending soon. The industry as a whole basically CANNOT crash. Literally not possible.
>the limit has been reached, and we haven't even hit the global recession/depression or WW3 yet
Crawl back into your hole /pol/

>WAAAAAAAAH MEN
Bitches never learn.

Yes. Had a cushy job on GW, went off on a guy for mansplaining to her when he just replied with "I disagree" about dialogue branches, got fired, is now industry poison and has been bitter ever since.

We wanted this. Happy its happening!

>>AAA unable to be "successful" with $7B in sales
Uh, what game? Because that's over 100 million copies, I'm pretty sure that would satisfy even Rockstar's bloated expectations.

Can you explain to me what it means then?

>employed
>makes shitty game
>get credentials
>get promoted / more credentials to get new job
>industry filled with useless ideologues with thick credentials

Attached: peterhines.jpg (1432x942, 306K)

It means when you crash a company with no survivors and then take a 3 million dollar bonus and go work with their competitors.

Attached: 1549103425595.png (645x729, 131K)

>Consumers will choose a worse store because its better for the people selling

No, retard, it's not that specific.

Actually, yes it is.

>In spite of large losses in advertising revenue at Yahoo! and a 50% reduction in staff during her 5 years as CEO, Mayer was paid a total of $239 million over that time
Being a CEO seems so easy, you just need to bullshit well enough to convince people you can do it, then it doesn't matter what you actually do.

>better for developers
>epic has to pay developers to use their store
>better for developers

Oh look, it's this thread again.

Only works if your company is located in america

Fpbp
It's time. With all these dicklicking corporate vidya lads shitting themselves, it gives new small time devs a chance to unironically rise up.
All these huge companies and corporations getting fucked is how you return to the golden ages of vidya. Where whales with money were always looking to fund new exciting projects by smaller AA dev teams and actually being allowed to make soulful projects, as opposed to simply buying stocks in which ever corrupt giant has its fat hamfist in the media. Its really really hard for small passionate companies to break into the industry right now, and we're seeing the results.
Remember when E3 was actually literally a conference to show off lesser known shit and upcoming ridiculous titles to gain support and money for your project? As opposed to a corporate advertising event where we may or may not get shown a few things whatever giant publisher wants to build hype/ad revenue/publicity?

No one will care, but EA just shut down one of the biggest studios in Australia (FireMonkeys) today putting 10% of the entire Australian industry out of work.

This type of imageboard shitting should deserve a ban. lmgtfy.com/?q=fail upwards meaning

I hope you end up killing yourself alone in your basement.

>Boss key closes
I unironically liked Lawbreakers. Why did it have to fail?

Attached: images (3).jpg (225x225, 7K)

I'm feeling this hard. Hurts when your high school and college buds eat up the shit and say it's just you.
>mfw it's both

Attached: some tires.jpg (1117x1051, 140K)

how are indie devs going to make a living when zoomers are spending 100% of their life in fortnite?
and the more indie games there are, the harder it is for any of them to be successful, a lot of devs are going to pack up and do something else, and thats a good thing cause a lot of indie games suck

crash is baked in the cake
gaming wont go away, but there will be a contraction/refocus

>Crawl back into your hole /pol/
theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/11/imf-financial-crisis-david-lipton
is your occupation recession proof?

AAA games keep costing more and more to produce, with bigger teams, 100 million means nothing now

EA is making a lot of bank with Apex, and they have always closed studios. Only a zoomer wouldn't know there's a big mountain of developer skeletons that were killed by EA, and great developers.

>Western gaming has gone to shit, just like everything else in the West

Lmao we are witnessing a civilisations collapse in real time

they'll start choosing it when the games they want show up on the 'worse store' because it is better for the people making/selling the games

don't forget that steam was jumpstarted by HL2's exclusivity

>how are indie devs going to make a living when zoomers are spending 100% of their life in fortnite?
You're not even aware of the current environment enough to realize that Fortnite is over? You haven't paid attention to Apex Legends dethroning it? And you expect me to take you seriously?

Sucks for them, but fuck EA. EA and Bethesda are literally the only two developers in the industry that I actively want to fail.

>FOTM battle royale kusoge

Attached: 1543807117686.jpg (640x480, 61K)

I didn't even know that studio existed, but it's not a big surprise. Australia is expensive.
>handful of gba/ds titles, tons of mobage, no releases since 2015
Nothing of value lost, I see.

Only games that seem to want to be on epic store so far are mediocre/bad ones taking the cash from epic and running away

>putting 10% of the entire Australian industry out of work

lmao they brought it upon themselves
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firemonkeys_Studios#Games

and australia is a joke country that has NEVER EVER produced a good game

that sell by the truckloads no matter how fucking awful they are

People saying THERES A CRASH all the time are retarded. The games industry is one of those that many customers have really low standards. Look at how shitty creatively bankrupt games sell a fuckton of copies (look at all the ubisoft open world formulaic games), and explain exactly how the crash is going to happen when products that aren't even great do very well financially.

wtf is an apex legend?

Except Hollow Knight.

Y'know... That Metroidvania made by a team of literally 3 Aussies that happens to be one of the best Metroidvanias of all time?

Australia has produced some god tier games faggot.

Attached: HollowKnight.jpg (460x215, 44K)

man i love capitalism and remember that if you criticize any of this bullshit you are a commie and should be dropped from a helicopter

Has anyone hired her yet?
She's just a walking liability. The slightest thing will send her on a Twitter tirade screaming at your customers, while her white knights and SJW fuckbuddies fling shit at your company.

far cry new dawn sold 86% less than far cry 5, which sold less than far cry 4 which sold less than far cry 3...

BFV sold far less than BF1

COD has been dying for ages

its carshing, just admit it

You're right, but Epic doesn't have a HL2, nor can they afford to buy off someone that does.

An updated Fortnite

>last game was a mobage in 2015
Were they just collecting easy paychecks for 4 years?

Because unisex bathrooms that have existed for decades are suddenly sjw now.

You do realize a purge ends in permanent mobileshit stagnation right?

>Don't fuck with gamers
Preach.

lmao you call that a knife?

>CoD has been dying for ages
Just like that Nintendo is dying soon, right? At one point you just gotta admit your doom and gloom isn't working. If it wasn't making a profit, they would stop making them.

yeah, nintendo is dying, the whole industry is dying, is ANYONE even excited for PS5, XB2 or E3 this year?

oh cant wait to play the same old shit again!

only 1% of indie games are any good, and most devs need to stop making games

you mean shit games sell shit. good games like RDR2 make billions

I read westwood studios first and almost had a heart attack.

>All thanks to this one game

ABSOLUTE UNIT
Also, good

Attached: nothing personel.png (1920x1080, 2.33M)

Really it is he only true escapism we have to get a break from that desert outside our rooms. Movies are good too but when you exit the theater and go back to your life there is always a soul crushing feeling of it's over.
It doesn't happen with games for some reason.

yet big companies are still pumping out games, including all those franchises you pointed out, you have to understand a decline in sales =/= the company will close its doors. Nintendo was struggling with the Wii U and now the Switch is doing much better, you say there's no interest in the next gen PS5/etc but people said the exact same thing with the PS4 and others, and now the PS4 has sold how many units again, 60 million or 80 whatever. You think nobody wants a PS5 but you don't have any data that supports your views. EA had a fuckup with Battlefront 2, some Battlefield games and out of nowhere they have some battle royale game that is doing well.

This will surely endear her to future employers.

Expect the loud downsized cunts like this to form a grrl power indie studio that makes headlines when it starts and then quickly dies to little fanfare.

>tfw 2nd video game industry crash will happen in your life
about fucking time. At least we'll get to enjoy the first years of this industry "revival", untill some indie company strikes gold and proceeds to become yet another AAA+ publisher.
it's a never ending spiral of human greed.

Attached: 16354786465475685.jpg (604x358, 85K)

An AAA "crash" may happen to some degree, but all that means is that the definition of what AAA titles are will be redesigned to fit what remains in the gaming industry at large. The definition is a dynamic structure that does not sit still and depends on anything beyond current trends and analytics.

And even if that does occur, which I sincerely doubt that it will given a lot of factors well outside of 4chin's borders, the game industry as a whole will not crash. Too many gamers, with too much demand, with too many developers eager to cash in. All it takes is one innovative meme to come along and suddenly the market sets on fire all over again, if short lived in the modern super-consumer market. You can see it all over the place outside of AAA games.

This isn't the 80's where tech was limited to a select few cutting-edge companies.
You can go for a brisk morning walk and trip over eager developers and consumers in this market.

Whatever, Less games for me to buy, I have more than enough games in my backlog to last 3 lifetimes.

The replies to this are morons. The earnings reports show how much the various franchises are making and then you can compare them to what was otherwise projected and what the franchise is "worth"

If call of duty for instance only made 1 million net it would be a failure because of opportunity cost. They could have made more if not for their [shit development]. Making money isnt necessarily hard when your brand is already profitable

In activisions case the blizzard games are sucking dick so theyre laying off the worthless losers and diversity hires and picking up devs, which everyone except reddit (the people who replied) should be happy about

>Western devs go woke
>Hire diversity hires, trannies and womyn
>They are useless as fuck and have useless posts create for them
>Start twitter fights with the ones buying their games in the first place
>MFW the real devs are purging the scum out of their companies

Attached: 7771933.jpg (1323x1800, 1.22M)

we live in a corpocracy, and CEOs are the ruler class. They will never lose out simply because of the people they know.

Golden parachutes are the biggest meme communists complain about, its fucking hilarious and shows they have ZERO understanding of the subject

>because Male
A couple of the main execs benefiting from EA's studio closures this year are women.

You are a retarded commie and you should be dropped from a helicopter

Not a collapse, just belt tightening in less financially secure times. Maybe even opportunism around closures they have wanted to do for a while.

Medieval 2 total war was made in Brisbane you fuckhead. Closing the Brisbane arm of Creative Assembly directly led to to Rome 2 total war.

>More Marketing = More Sales
>Good Reviews = Paid Sponsors
It wasn't until recently when angry shitposters could could form massive PR nightmares that couldn't be swept under the rug.

Looks like you can add EA DICE to that list OP

Aniplex is under Sony Music so they're profitable just because of FGO money at least.

No, they were making games as opposed to updating wikipedia pages.

>western trash studios are FINALLY going belly up
What a time to be alive!

Attached: 1540277279182.jpg (871x838, 62K)

AI is going to do the "creative" programming very soon.

>OK AI, please make the framework for a fantasy game, similar to dungeons and dragons
>... Done
>Fill it with the following races, orks, humans, elves, klingons
>... Done
>Analyze prominent fantasy novels of the past 10 years, integrate prominent themes as quest lines
etc

All devs need to do is put sexy lolis in their games and they'll make bank.

>just checked Guild Wars 2 Twitter
>it's all pink fanart with butterflies, gay relationships and tumblr faces
holy shit what happened to this game? Thank fuck I stopped playing a month after release. Does anyone other than single moms and tumblr Xhelords play this shitshow?

Attached: 1549995188598.jpg (671x708, 117K)

>1st party EA studios closing up
I planned ahead user

>ActiBlizz lays off 800 people
They should've focused on making games and not shitting the bed with Diablo and HOTS
>Telltale shut down
They mismanaged themselves to closure by making the same style game over and over
>Visceral closed
Legit sad about this since I liked Dead Space
>Gazillion shuttered
Dont know them
>EA closing whole 1st party studios left and right
EA has been doing this shit for years
>Gearbox on life support
Borderlands 3 will save them and I want them to give up the fucking Duke license since they will do jack shit with it
>Double Fine on life support
I doubt Psychonauts 2 will save them
>Boss Key closes
Cliffy's fault for not releasing Lawbreakers on Xbox and into a saturated market even though admittedly the game looked fun to play. Radical Heights was a laughable effort to stay alive
>Carbine shut down
no clue on who they are
>Capcom Vancouver closed
They fucked the Dead Rising franchise
>Anthem flops - Bioware is next
They should've honestly have downscaled their ambitions and focused on traditional RPG titles are something, like what Obsidian is doing
>AAA unable to be "successful" with $7B in sales
Blame publishers for wanting Overwatch, Fortnite or COD numbers for every release
>Mobile saturated
this is true and it sucks even more as traditional handhelds are dying. Doubt we will ever get another ps Vita
>VR a complete meme
honestly this comes down to the tech and interactivity of it. If developers can figure out moving in VR effectively we can get the tech forward, but it also takes good game developers to want to push the tech

how does that saying go-
a picture is worth a thousand words?

Attached: 1538621758930.jpg (278x491, 34K)

kek

Attached: 2019-02-22-114529_610x703_scrot.png (610x703, 262K)

Why is this? You'd think that a company that makes a lot of profit on a regular basis would be the best company to invest in because there's hardly any risk involved

>australia is a joke country that has NEVER EVER produced a good game
Their propaganda platformer studio is pretty solid

Attached: 700665.jpg (369x136, 13K)

Remember when a game which sold 1m copies was something special?
Nowadays it's expected that a game sells 1m in its first month or it's a failure.

And certain games are deemed DOA if the preorders are below 300k.

>propaganda
why

pepridge farm remembers

If you had JUST shat on steam for its flop you might have had something, but you gad to go retarded fanboy indistinguishable from a paid shill.

Epic is not in a safe spot either. Its flavor of the month status has been exposed,

Shares would have the steady income priced in

>LA Noire

You play a boomerang slinging tasmanian tiger who won't shut the fuck up about how amazing australia is. They also received hefty government grants to promote a nationalistic game.

She got hired immediately by a feminist tech start up. What you're saying only happens to males. Male privilege mmmhmmm

Bethesda is absolutely next

>Obama era government diversity grant expires
>mass layoffs at Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, Vice, Telltale Games, Blizzard, and soon to be BioWare
Hm...

Attached: 1543294103347.png (595x447, 72K)

>Obama era government diversity grant expires
Is this a real thing? wtf

Attached: 1367034929429.jpg (550x550, 53K)

no. it's just convenient that these things happened when the longest government shutdown happened, so the poltards latched onto the conspiracy theory as usual.

>when it's the 'oppressors' it's specifically male game execs
>when it's the poor victims it's no longer men but 'people'

Attached: 1484330040187.jpg (512x384, 24K)

>yfw you lived long enough to see the video game industry crash and be reborn

Attached: 1399730413443.png (230x199, 107K)

>reborn
don't bet on it. it'll be a sea of trash until Hollywood starts making AAA titles for easy cash grab movie tie-ins.

>reborn
hehheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh

>Golden parachutes are the biggest meme communists complain about, its fucking hilarious and shows they have ZERO understanding of the subject

Do explain then how it's suppose to work.

Pure coincidence that the slaughter began the week following the 6th/10th year anniversary of Obama's inaugurations.

Attached: 1550550984182.png (735x846, 254K)

>mobile games get popular
>investors sell their AAA home gaming stocks and buy mobile stocks instead
>publishers who only care about pleasing their investors are left with nothing

Mobile saved PC gaming.

It's not only video games, everything in the world is crashing.

I dont think you understand what "crash" means. A crash doesn't meant he industry will cease to exist. A crash means the big AAA corporations will take the hit and dissolve. Indies will make a comeback in their absence. You already said as much in other words.

False hope. This is just a hiccup. Things will go on same as usual.

Attached: iJustWantedToPlayVideogames.png (256x279, 108K)

Who is this slag and why should I care.

>As far as graphics are concerned I think games are as good visually as they can ever get.

I remember thinking this 20 year ago. They can ALWAYS get better, it's just that the improvements are much more subtle than they used to be. But wait 20 years and compare them to w hat we have now and the difference, while not as great as it was from 1999 and 2019, will still be obvious.

It's just stabilizing.

>Thanks for shilling Apex so much and making sure EA has no trouble sticking around and continuing to screw the industry, Yea Forums!
You're welcome.
Only consoleniggers and retards still buy EAshit in 2019, so I'm not worried about them.
Epic however needs to fuck off, so I'm glad Apex is eating their piece of the pie.

Golden age of modern vidya cuming up

>That pic
Now I'm mad user, thanks

Attached: Absolute heathen.png (518x665, 120K)

Double Fine is shit

For 2 reasons

The first is that generally speaking they wont get as much as they otherwise would if the ship wasnt sinking to the point where he parachute becomes relevant

The second is that it is a benefit conferred onto the ceo to attract them to take the position or keep it. Its typically characterized as someone getting money for failing rather than someone getting money for having a good enough resume to buy themselves insurance.