Who else is looking forward to Valve's inevitable mass layoffs?

Who else is looking forward to Valve's inevitable mass layoffs?

Attached: Valve.jpg (770x434, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/now-tim-sweeney-thinks-that-microsoft-will-use-windows-10-to-break-steam/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

lmao this nigga doesnt even know how many people work at valve, lul go back to your riotshit

theres like 300 valve employees. nobody on actual development, just server and steam maintenance and accounting.

>massive layoffs
oh no gabe is leaving?

I'm looking forward to getting them back on track, whatever form that may take

Willfully wishing for the misfortune of others is childish and petty, though

>mass layoffs
Is Gabe on a diet?

You do realize that Valve NEEDS to be struck with misfortune for them to get back on track, right?

VALVE does.

The people AT Valve, all of whom rely on the company to survive and I'd wager the majority of whom had no say in the decision that lead to said misfortune, not so much.

Sounds like they all need to be fired and replaced with competent developers.

yo i know its school vacation but could you at least pretend your not some salty faggot high schooler who got blasted in dota

they need to get rid of their retarded "open office" system so they can actually get some work done for once. most of the time when a project is cancelled at valve it's because the devs lost interest and left the team or a argument broke out.

I don't know what you're talking about, but dota should be cancelled.

You talk as if Valve isn't actively childish and petty with their neglect of Half-Life.

lmao enjoy your last day of vacation bud! sorry i guess you got fisted in csgo then? or did you buy artifact lmao

Retarded VaIvedrone, I don't play any other Valve games except TF2. They don't deserve my money considering that they shat all over Half-Life.

All these kids in this thread. Valve is the only PC gaming company with a long term business plan that doesn't involve 'sue Microsoft', or 'go console/phone only'. As a result they're the only one that actually has a viable long term plan.
They're not public, they don't have to worry about hitting a goal next quarter that would require them to sell the farm laying off everyone to do it. There's only one disaster on its way that can affect Valve and they've been preparing for it now for six years.

Valve has to be careful with HL3 because like HL2 which launched Steam, they need to use it to get a viable number of users on to their new platform and then keep them there. That's not going to happen while legacy versions of Windows are still around.

lmao whens your epic check come in cuck

>Valve has to be careful with HL3 because like HL2 which launched Steam, they need to use it to get a viable number of users on to their new platform and then keep them there. That's not going to happen while legacy versions of Windows are still around.
Considering that Valve's reputation has been annihilated and they don't have any goodwill anymore, not even HL3 would save them because nobody would be interested in HL3 made by a washed-up company who is, in the public's eyes, a third-rate, incompetent and talentless shovelware developer.

There is actual development, just not on videogames anymore. Newell has went full John Carmack since a while ago and right now he seems to only focus on hardware development, virtual and agmented reality to be precise.

Attached: dieser-vr-prototyp-steht-valve-chef-gabe-newell-hervorragend.jpg (1000x796, 53K)

I love how Gayben's callous refocus has backfired completely, seeing how nobody cares about VR and AR anymore. All that time, all that money, all that work, completely wasted on a worthless gimmick and with no payoff whatsoever.

>I didn't get my video game, so ruining the lives of hundreds of people is TOTALLY justified!

>Let's leave our most loyal fans with a cliffhanger, and never give them resolution! That will be so hilarious, so epic and so funny!
>w-what do you mean that the fans now hates our guts for metaphorically smashing their faces with sledgehammers!? how dare they!

I wouldn't even be salty if they'd just gotten SOMETHING done since 2012. L4D3 and a public, working Source 2 SDK would have saved their reputation alone, I wager.

>Awesome new game to play in the beloved Half Life series
>plus play all your old games
>including the ones not from Steam
>all free

vs

>re-buy all your games
>the PC is now just another console
>complete with monthly subscription

Epic's attempt to fight the future of the PC in court is going to fail, and the devs that bought in to their dead-end legacy platform only strategy are going to be fucked.

To be fair, we don't know how VR will evolve in the future, it could be the hot thing one day, these shitty current VR consoles are the first step in the process.
That said I wish Valve would make games again.

>I wouldn't even be salty if they'd just gotten SOMETHING done since 2012
Have you used Steam for Linux? Valve has done more for the future of PC Gaming than anyone else in the industry.
Coincidentally they shifted gears to focusing on it after their big meeting with Microsoft in 2012.

>We wanted to give gamers the HL3 they deserved, but no version was ever quite good enough, and now the expectation is too high and the talent is long gone, so anything we even try now is only going to inspire contempt

>But yeah, you didn't get your game, and that's totally analogous to physical, bodily harm!

HL is never going to have "resolution" even if they did Ep3, the whole franchise is a series of cliffhangers.

>so anything we even try now is only going to inspire contempt
They inspire even more contempt by not giving the fans the goddamn game.

>Let's cancel the game that makes us millions just because this one user doesn't like it
Retard

>mass layoffs
You mean another trip to hawaii?

Huh, exaggerating a little don't you think? Only a handful of few little retards that got mad at Artifact like you think that of Valve, they are still #1 in PC Gaming and for everyone else

It's way too soon to call lights out for VR. We have to see what Valve manages to come up with and how they'll market it.

>we wanted to give gamers the HL3 they deserved, but no version was ever quite good enough, and now the expectation is too high and the talent is long gone, so anything we even try now is only going to inspire contempt

If they had the nerve to outright say this several years ago once they had internally reached this conclusion, people would probably think much better of them as opposed to the eternal string-along followed by a rogue writer spilling plot details because he knew they'd never get it off the ground.

That's literally just what butthurt HL fans say though. "Wah well we don't want it anyway now!" it's like,yeah, you do

Are they still working on their own game-oriented Linux variant? I remember that being a thing a long while back.

The string-along really shows Valve's character. They don't care about the feelings of Half-Life fans, they just view them as toys to abuse. That is, frankly, completely disgusting. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Valve are all sociopaths.

They didn't because its not true. They said explicitly what it would take for them to work on HL3 sooner rather than later, GNU/Linux marketshare on Steam reaching 3%.
You didn't switch, and they're not going to make a major new project for Windows at this point with the end of life less than a year away.

tfw there are actually people who think like this

T. Actually knows how valve operates and understands why they do that.

I don't mind valve not making games. I'd be fucking pissed if they ever had to cut steam staff or even worse, have to go public to seek funds to keep themselves up. And so would the rest of the fags in this thread I bet.

Just fucking imagine if the stockholders in charge of EA were in charge of steam. Cry about cuckold life 3 all you want but the former is the true night mare.

Yes, SteamOS 3 is on its way and Valve never stopped working on drivers and performance enhancements which have made their way up stream to the rest of the GNU/Linux ecosystem.

The biggest and most unbelievable rumor about the next version of SteamOS was already confirmed with the beta release of Proton, a win32 compatibility layer which is in many ways already superior to the legacy compatibility layer Microsoft is for the moment still offering on Windows 10.

Attached: N5xsYxH.jpg (3840x1080, 1.28M)

Volvo has enough currency stocked up to spend the rest of the century in a constant drug-fueled hooker orgy

I feel like there's a lot more to this Valve/Windows issue than has been said so far, are they really that desperate to get off Windows? Is it purely an ideological thing, or a corporate disagreement or what?

>company decides not to develop a product
>childish and negligent
lmao

>Ea in charge of Steam

>Valve forced to lay off useless employees
>Valve forced to cease all development on VR
>Valve forced to make Half-Life 3
>Valve forced to make Left 4 Dead 3
>Valve forced to cancel Artifact as well as all games that gamers never asked for
>Valve forced to update TF2
That would unironically be one of the best outcomes possible, don't kid yourself. Valve needs a slaver driver to ensure they stop wasting time on useless shit.

they should really cancel that walking simulator we was queenz game
having years of literally nothing being followed up with boring and horrible creedy card game and a sjw walking sim destroys all the trust and support the fans once had

A little bit of both.

Think of it this way:
If you wanted to build a store, would it be better to build that store on your own land, where you can make all the rules, or on land owned by someone else, thereby giving that person final say in what you can and can't put in your store?

>there are people that actually think stock holder needs and consumer wants perfectly align
Someone pull out the list of game developers EA has killed. Meanwhile, you can sit about whats happening to blizzard right now. That's the long term effect of shitty publishers.

I haven't wanted a game from valve for years. Just keep steam going and away from the literal jews

Attached: 1547955025409.jpg (246x250, 7K)

Layoffs from what? They don't make anything.

Except that's not even CLOSE to what would happen. It'd be more like

>Valve forced to lay off half its employees, regardless of merit

>Valve Forced to release Team Fortress 2 update
>Valve Forced to release Team Fortress 3
>Valve Forced to release Portal 3
>Valve forced to release Half Life: Mobile
>Valve forced to release Team Fortress 4
>Valve forced to release Team Fortress 5
>Valve forced to release Portal Battle Royale
>Valve shuttered due to lack of interest

It never fails to amuse me how Valve have put themselves in the position where literally nothing they do will destroy their business and every time they do something Valve fans say THIS'LL BE THE END FOR THEM, THEY'LL LEARN THEIR LESSON and nothing changes and Valve continues on not developing Half-Life or doing anything

VR adoption doubled in 2018 and all the big tech companies are making their own sets.

They'd also be forced to adjust to the whole SJW market. EA did it to DICE and BioWare, they'd do it to Valve too. And then Valve would go broke as a result.

Microsoft has made clear that they are dropping win32 support, in other words support for every PC game that is not purchased from the Windows Store, in the near future.
Other PC game developers were convinced Microsoft would never actually carry through with that, and are now at the last minute preparing standing for legal cases against Microsoft. Valve alone has pursued a technological solution rather than a legal one.
Let me make it clear you're not going to wake up on January 15th 2020 and find that all your old games are unplayable, but that's likely when they start their multi-year phase out of the legacy open platform in earnest.

So its not a simple disagreement or ideological thing, its a threat to the existence of PC gaming as we know it.

>nobody cares about VR
this is how someone who doesn't have a clue would speak

the only people who care about VR are misinformed execs who think the technology is usable and The Next Big Thing

just stop, you're clueless

Yeah these kids don't get it. Gaben doesn't think about next quarter, he thinks about next decade because he can because Valve is privately held. When Steam first came out nobody had any concept of what digital distribution would be like ten years down the road.

Now nobody has a concept of what VR will be like ten years down the road from now, or what GNU/Linux will be like for gaming in another 4 years when it hits the ten year mark.

>Portal Battle Royale
That'd be some crazy shit though.

Devs don't make value, ya dingus.

>b-but in ten years
It's shit RIGHT NOW

The only thing that is stopping VR of getting huge, is the price tag. But you're too much of a brainlet to understand basic socio-economics.

It's great right now and prices have been plummeting.

What part of
>Valve doesn't have to worry about next quarter
don't you understand?

They alone don't have to sacrifice long term profitability to make a quick buck to appease Tencent or the market.

Can anyone here name something that Steam has done in the past few years that has been a success?

>>And Steam isn't dying

>Steam machines? Flop
>Steam controllers? Flop
>SteamOS? Flop
>Steam Link? Flop
>Shartifact? You better believe that was a flop
>Source 2? Not even made to even be a flop

And now

>Steam Videos? Flop

>Microsoft has made clear that they are dropping win32 support
Like fuck they have, basically every program used on Windows is win32. Any Windows that doesn't support win32 is going to be an abject failure just like Windows RT was. Nowadays Microsoft is even offering emulation on ARM devices so they can run x86 win32 software, this shit isn't going anywhere.

Selling videogames, and Valve contributed a lot to Linux gaming mostly thanks to GPU driver improvements related to SteamOS, it's a great move even if you don't care about Linux since it adds a viable alternative to Windows in case Microsoft decides to go full retard.

t. underage who doesn't know how private companies work

The thing about Proton is that Epic could use the patches they made for their variant of WINE for free

and what has epic done?
unreal tournament? dead
>fortnite? shit and going dead
>unreal engine? who cares. if it didnt exists games would be the same but made in unit or other shit engine

what has epic done?

Attached: 144837.png (680x878, 607K)

I don't think layoffs are the solution, what they need is a corporate restructuring that splits their useless "do whatever lol" crowd into teams with definite leaders and responsibilities. Valve would literally be a dead company if they didn't have free money from Steam to fall back on. They'd be dead because they're incapable of DOING things, even something as minor as actually following their own policy statements.

It's going to be good when Valve has to go back to making good.

Valve needs to hurry up and make Ricochet 2. This is ridiculous

Eternal reminder that Marc Laidlaw decided to retire after being denied total control of HL3's story and being harassed by new employees when saying that they couldn't make something because it wouldn't make sense in-universe (and basically being told "we're making a game not a book grandpa" in response)

Attached: 1550354972421.jpg (1410x328, 151K)

we need flags, I really wanna know where you come from.

Attached: 1548335065921.jpg (2850x4291, 2.21M)

True story; I've been thinking about it ever since I typed those words

And now I'm angry at myself because it sounds awesome and I want it

Valve is just a small indie company. What are you talking about? There cant be mass layoffs.

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: Untitled.png (1124x249, 188K)

>valve does shit game
>everyone says its shit
>epic does shit store
>NO ITS GOOD YOU ARE JUST A STEAM DRONE REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 15335723080319571.jpg (250x250, 21K)

No, I'm pretty sure it's the fact that putting an electronic strap-on on your head the only purpose of which is to play games is retarded as fuck.

Besides, the cost of the device itself is irrelevant. Now, having the real estate to dedicate an entire room in your hose to flailing around and spinning like a retard, that's the real cost of VR.

Fucking zoomer employees deserve death.

Based anons having a clue what's going on.
Everyone takes steam for granted and think it'll ALWAYS be around and have decent consumer features and policies "because it's steam" but that's not the case.

How would it work? Just a massive, sprawling room stacked vertically with platforms and smaller rooms, with acid at the bottom and other hazards lying around like lasers, turrets and such?

They have no reason to change since Valve became the most profitable company per employee in the world thanks to these policies.

valve is just the janitor and a homeless guy deciding which skins to add to heir games at this point. they'll be fine

Cry more Artifag

Underrated post

there are no artifactfags, there are only artifact haters like you. literally no one talks about this game other than retards that hate valve. you are autistic and should get help

Attached: 1482929245984.jpg (720x757, 51K)

>being harassed by new employees when saying that they couldn't make something because it wouldn't make sense in-universe (and basically being told "we're making a game not a book grandpa" in response)

I needed something to seethe at today, you got a link for the interview or whatever this came from?

You underestimate how much money valve makes.

Imagine some developer making a game. They spent a few years on development, costing millions. They sell it on steam, and it's a hit, selling +10 million copies, let's say for $60. That's $600 million (minus taxes, payment processor fees, etc). Now valve takes 30% of that, $180 million. Due to development, marketing, etc costs, the profit margin for the developer is much smaller. For valve? Bandwidth isn't that expensive.

Now imagine another game like that, then another, and another, because that is what actually happens. Valve literally swims in money. And because valve has a steady flow of easy money, there is no reason not to be friendly to the consumer. They don't need to try to extract extra pennies from the consumer with some garbage, because that money is insignificant compared to the money they already make, and you have the risk of alienating your customers.

Valve is laying off people it doesn't deem worthy all the time. Plus it is a privately owned company. You can't necessarily apply publicly traded company logic here. They could coast for a decade without earning if GabeN wanted to.

>no shareholders
>layoffs

These people just rake in the money for doing nothing but maintaining the servers and curating the store and the forums the bare minimum.

Honestly, out of ALL the game dev studios out there, except for Indie developers who don't invest very much money

Valve is probably the ONLY one that can make a huge flop and be perfectly fine afterwards

They can honestly just abandon artifact for good and work on a fucking VR buffet simulator and the company income/reputation will still be fine.

>artifactfag thinks it has the right to call anyone autistic

>Now imagine another game like that, then another, and another, because that is what actually happens. Valve literally swims in money. And because valve has a steady flow of easy money, there is no reason not to be friendly to the consumer. They don't need to try to extract extra pennies from the consumer with some garbage, because that money is insignificant compared to the money they already make, and you have the risk of alienating your customers.
They also have no need to do short-term profit maximising garbage to please shareholder that have been promised an increased return in the next quarter

They'll just make a standalone Dotachess game next, that's their jam

most likely. It'll come out in a few years and sit in the top 10 steam games for the next 12 years

This comment is more newfag than anything he's said. And yes, Valve have some awful people on their team. Just look at the guys that nearly killed TF2 and made Artifact. Clearly, everyone talented at Valve is focused on DOTA and CS.

Are you seriously talking about Linux as if anyone gives a fuck about it except /g/ites? Like, what?

What fucking layoffs? They barely got anyone hired at Valve because they arent making games anymore.

Piece of shit underageb& faggots.

Attached: 1550566016591.jpg (808x960, 49K)

You realize those policies were forced on them by countries? Which is inevitably what would happen to every other corporation, especially from leftie governments in Europe and elsewhere.
God, stop sucking Valve's dick so much you brainless fucking zoomer. These are the people that wanted to sell you paid mods and nearly destroyed a decade old community. Fucking kill yourself.

>just for games
Yeah we get it, now go away brainlet

Attached: 3fc6286681c3e37b9c40143b7fb98f9a.png (696x418, 387K)

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/07/now-tim-sweeney-thinks-that-microsoft-will-use-windows-10-to-break-steam/

There's a special place in hell awaiting the people who let the Half Life franchise rot away.

>actually believing anything Microsoft says
GFWL was a failure and they couldn't make a single game for the Xbone. Seriously, don't hold your breath on this.

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo?

Attached: woman-on-phone-008.jpg (460x276, 22K)

And people say that Valve didn't purposefully kill off Episode 3 out of spite. They murdered Half-Life out of spite against Marc Laidlaw.

Imagine being a new employee and harassing people for wanting to continue Half-Life. I can't imagine being one, because I am not an amoral piece of shit. And yet, people exists who did exactly that.

No, I hesitate to call them people. They're not people. They're more akin to subhuman goblin troglodytes worth less than even insects. They're completely and utterly irredeemable and I refuse to consider them human by any aspect. They're scum, and Valve should be ashamed that they're housing such horrible, horrible creatures.

Artifact's playercount is misfortune.

It's not enough, we need to kill Steam. That way, maybe Valve will think twice before they shit on people.

>dude I'm so angry at my headcanon based on rumors

Fuck off epic shill.

Valve and Tencent are up in arms rn. They are trying to copyright auto chess and its features. Valve is already in contact with Auto Chess dev and they are trying to make a standalone title

Days ago, an insider told us that Valve will be firing half of the Artifact developer team. Let's hope that still happens.

I watched a stream and couldn't get the appeal, you literally just put heroes on a board and watch them go pewpew.

Given what we know about Valve, these rumors are likely true. Maybe Valve could dispel them, but since they refuse to say anything, we have no choice but to conclude that Valve's silence equals confession.

So they will fire like 4 people? Artifact has a pretty small team.

it feels like an actual dota card game. Heroes with same dota abilities + its entirely f2p. There are some elements in the game like gold saving and making lot of different strategies, chess pieces positioning etc.

>not liking steam means you like epic
Nah, bro, I'm pirate-only.

Fuck off leech.

Are gogfags the only good alternative to steamfags?

Imagine being so stupid as to pay people for what you can get for free.
GOG doesn't really have a community.

Why the fuck would you care about a community in a storefront? Are you one of those tards that roleplay as anime girls on their profiles? And if you are "pirate only" then that's a double why.

>Not a pcbro
>Plays THE pcbro game
Tf2 cucks are the worst

>implying VR has any application in productivity software
LMAO retard.

Not happening. Firing people takes work so they're not doing it

Because he asked if Gogfags are better than Steamfags, imbecile. Do you even read?

Did you mean that joke post someone made about Gabe making an RNG machine to fire half the team at random

I think Valve only employes algorithms these days.

i imagine people will as soon as ms will finally drop legacy software support and squeeze everyone into their appstore. People will either roll back to unsupported Win7 or something linux-based.

They already did that a couple years back though.

HL3 is long gone.
The Dev team is gone. The creators are gone. Even the OST lads are gone.

i'm okay with this as long as some solid workaround is provided (they did drop native dos-games support, when stuff moved to x64 OS and there was dosbox to save the day)

>retards STILL crying about Plebbit-Life 3
Every time in these threads, just let go for fucks sake.

Attached: 1539816052814.png (579x440, 292K)

>The only thing that is stopping VR of getting huge, is the price tag
this - the product is solid and fun to use. Just too overpriced for some casual usage.

Meh I think a remastered Half-life or a soft reboot is more likely than a sequel
>It's all the rage these days

kek

if you ever bought in game items from valve this is your fault

>seeing how nobody cares about VR and AR anymore
But people do care - on PS4

It's crazy how this VR revolution started on PC and Sony became the most successful one at it. The low price point, advertising and exclusive deals really helped them out. PC will literally never get RE7 VR mode.

>tfw you realize a certain portion of Ep*c Store shilling is unironically done by rump-ragnaröked half-life babbies mad about not getting a sequel to their casual corridor shooter
one more reason for antinatalism

Attached: 1520529126801.jpg (637x442, 47K)

PC sets are cheaper nowadays and it has far more games.

>half-life drones
>loyal fans
They hate anything that is more complicated than a rooty-tooty-point-und-shooty game.

Attached: 1521651953408.gif (500x309, 491K)

Nobody gives a shit at valve, they get paid to do nothing unless they feel like they should be doing something in which case they are allowed to do so.

>artishart failing
>only VR meme games no one gives a shit about and terrible hardware in production
>losing the zoomer audience to epic
>the goodwill of the community long gone
OH NONONONO

I dont understand anons on both sides (aka pcbros on the one hand and anti valve shills on the other). Valve is no longer a game company(maintaining ips like dota or cs needs minimal imput). It also is no longer leading in game development tech (apart for Respawn that for some reason has married source 2). It main focus is service and it lives and dies with that ppl that worked on the great games of yester years have either left or have no longer anything to do with traditional game development. Also two last points; it is run in the most antiproductive way when it comes to game development with the whole non fixed teams and goals (obviously apart from dota and cs) and to all those drones saying oh how good they are with the refunds; thank the EU consumer rights and German consumer activism, if there wasn't the whole litigation thing valve would still give no refunds.

Valve is literally saving pc gaming as we speak.

Yes, saving PC gaming by masturbating day and night to useless VR tech.

Caring about a dead casual FPS series so much to the point of constantly shitposting and wanting the entire company dead is pretty childish and petty.

Remember PS3 and early PS4 years when we cried that we were getting no games at all? I do. It fucking sucked. If it wasn't for Valve, we'd never gotten games and would be forced to buy a console.

cringe - the post

I wish Wine developers weren't so autistic about testing and regressions.
I get that their job is hard, and I get that testing is important for a fucking compatibility layer, but they're really pulling in fixes and new features way too reluctantly. There's a reason Staging is so big, and there's a reason their Bugzilla is so cluttered.
The point is, if Linux actually becomes necessary for gaming, I could see them being the bottleneck. Maybe that's why Valve made Proton. Well, though Wine has been getting better about it recently. And it is mostly good enough.
Not that Linux is perfect, but most other projects are reasonably agile about improvements, at least.