Linux Gaming thread

How do we improve Linux gaming?

Attached: Tux.png (265x314, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5xxcr&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5575-laptop
protondb.com/
github.com/ekistece/vlmcsd-autokms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>linux
>desktop
Brain problems.

Make Linux way less autistic

Any suggestions where to start?

stop relying on arbitrary command line messages to do every simple thing that you can do with a click or two on windows

everything is convoluted and annoying for no real reason besides laziness

Further improve proton and other things like WINE
OR
Beg developers to start giving a shit about linux's tiny market share on home desktops.

Attached: 1550743396977.png (990x682, 308K)

Did you see any Linux distro in last 10 years?
You don't have to touch terminal if you don't want to.

How about not totally reinventing the userland every half decade or so?
OSS -> ALSA -> PulseAudio
SysV Init -> Upstart -> systemd
Xinerama -> RandR
Xorg -> Wayland

Games being open source will never be cool so it just can't improve.

You do know about Lutris, right?
The thing that makes it extremely easy to get many games running on Linux?

More you will contribute to it's development / library, easier it will be for other people to get their games running on Linux.

Attached: lutris_logo.png (192x192, 33K)

Most games on Linux are not open source.

Attached: 4chan_wat.png (800x800, 801K)

Improve Linux so it's actually a usable system. Seriously, just give me one distro which is a complete, functional product and not a mess of programs slapped together into a ball, that also either changes completely every few months, or has stayed the same since the 90s.

Make all my games work when I click on them, I tried proton and it wasn't that.
I have tried a few distros and desktop enviroments and I liked them, but shit does not work so it goes in the bin after a month of dual booting every time.

wine and dxvk / steam and proton are pretty good already. Developpers don't care because the linux userbase is too small.

linux does it for me
i can play everything i want via steam or with wine if the game's not on there.
it is true tho that i dont play graphics heavy games.

After Windows 7 dies I guess I'll have to make the switch for newer games

what's wrong with ubuntu lts?
what makes me think you're a win 7 fag?

Switch to windows

Attached: 1529296663678.png (540x304, 69K)

With Windows you get all the negatives with none of the positives.
Use something like Debian or Ubuntu and you'll be set for life.

The command line is superior and more consistent than any guidance could be. In fact the Unix philosophy encourages it used so more modular programs can be built.

All companies would have to do is make the engine open source and within a day or two Linux nerds would've already ported it to hell in back for them.

windows in a vm with gpu passthrough is just fine

But normalfags are afraid of command line
and Yea Forums is full of normalfags

Just support Lutris so that they make their magic "make game work" button for more games.

Steam Proton is probably more normie proof than Lutris.
Lutris is definitely the next step down though.

I am a proud win 7 fag, it's the best operating system I've ever used and I plan to cling to it for dear life as long for as I can manage.

Ubuntu is probably the distro I've used the most, starting at 14, and every time I've had to install it it amazed me by finding new shit to break.
>drivers just don't work in general, if something does work from the start it's a happy surprise
>takes 10 times as much time to install, I still don't know why
>the built-in package manager freezes and I think that's literally the only thing I've seen it do, on muliple installs, across two different computers
>can't just download an .exe or an .msi and click in the first place, that would be too casual for a seasoned linux user
>file manager is not an integral part of the system, just a regular program. It does mean I can run ten different ones if I want, but I'd rather have one that works well and works with other applications when they need something from my hard drive
>if I want to use some advanced functionality of the system, on Windows it's going to be called "Windows dick-up-ass manager", while on your Linux distro you might have two command line programs called "weiner" and fucking "ostrich" or some other animal, because these faggot programmers are incapable of naming their programs something helpful, and neither of them will actually let me shove a cock in my butthole

...And a whole mountain of things that made me go "fucking linux" in the past, that I don't care to write down, largely because I already forgot about them.

Support open source game projects. If Linux had its own stable of games, more attention would be given to libraries dedicated to gaming.

>Seriously, just give me one distro
imagine being this retarded and intimidated by choice. absolute NPC.

Learn to read, nigger.

oh I read your post, it was pathetic and you have the thought process of a child.

>can't just download an .exe or an .msi and click in the first place, that would be too casual for a seasoned linux user
So you don't understand what a binary and rather than read a man page you bitch about it

>go to program's website
>download installer
>go through wizard hoping you didn't install another 3rd party toolbar
>have to update it manually or use the program's standalone auto-updater

>sudo apt install program
>updates along with everything else with "sudo apt upgrade"

Terminal makes things so much easier.

I don't get the "it's too hard" complaints, Windows after 7 is much more complex to use than the usual consumer friendly distro.

I understand what a binary perfectly well, and having to read a manual to install a simple program is a fucking joke. And before you say anything, I've read miles of man pages in my life, that's how I've grown to appreciate programmers who don't make me do it.

>install program
>it works
>but when I run it next week it might not, so I need constant updates
I never understood that, I never update my shit if I don't have to.

>>drivers just don't work in general, if something does work from the start it's a happy surprise
This is a mixed bag depending on what drivers aren't working.
>>takes 10 times as much time to install, I still don't know why
Update during install enabled? Even with that my install times are normal.
>>can't just download an .exe or an .msi and click in the first place, that would be too casual for a seasoned linux user
Flatpak and snaps are slowly growing in popularity due to people like you, although .deb files (for Ubuntu/Debian derivs.) are effectively the same shit.
Also depends on what you're getting, as hinted at by the other reply. There's an app store now as well which is a glorified package frontend.
>>file manager is not an integral part of the system
This is to imply Windows' monolithic Explorer doesn't have its own faults.
>>if I want to use some advanced functionality of the system
Again, depends on what you're doing. While not ideal, sure, the burden of research is upon you if you want a GUI (which probably exists).

Out of curiosity, what would you define as your personal average computer specs?

>Go to program's website
>Download .deb if applicable
>I'm using linux so instead of just running it like I can I'll instead dpkg -i discordfacebookcombopack.deb
Fuck!

You dual boot until you realize that you don't use the linux part anymore and then wipe it to save some drive space.

Put GOG Galaxy on it. For fucks sake CPR it's the most requested feature.

Replace that with Windows and this is an excellent post.

wiped my windows boot partition 3 years ago and never looked back

Anyone who actually honestly fucking says that windows is better than linux is literally just stupid. If you can't figure out how to do simple shit you need to just get off the computer.

The equivalent that would appease people if every command had a shortcut to run it.
Terminal-san kowai!

That said, maybe there could a utility for such people that can parse man pages and make command building interactive. Also tab complete doesn't exist so don't tell them.
Sort of like an autistic run dialog, masquerading a CLI program as a GUI one.

Posts like these are just proof you never really tried and just like to shitpost.

See

I'm very fine with everything.

t. Gentoo masterrace.

And?
Makes my post even more relevant.

Not the guy you originally replied to, I'm just giving you confirmation geez.

>trying to install mspaint on linux
>spend one hour trying to find a port of the windows program
>spend thirty minutes looking for an alternative
>sudo apt install gnome-paint
>USER IS NOT PART OF SUDOERS, THIS **WILL** BE REPORTED!!!
>isn't reported
>add self to sudoers
>E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
>E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/) is another process using it?
>spend 10 minutes looking for solution
>kill -9 1870
>installs a gorillion packages
>finally get to use my program
>mfw

You... fucking... *inhales* WIN BAASTARD YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HEALTHY MINIMAL BEAUTIFUL PRODUCTIVE CODE AND MUH UNIX FEE LO SOO FEE *brap* OH GREAT NOW LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

MY IRC SERVER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS OH JUST YOU WAIT

Attached: missing features.png (411x278, 14K)

t. Computer "Expert" (hipster) with F grade in all classes.

Every gaming bench of Linux I saw result in Windows being better or Linux not being able to run some games. Try playing Horizon 3 on Linux, you can't.

The terminal is a hell of a lot faster for most things, but even then you don't have to touch in in linux if you don't want to any more.

by installing windows

>>USER IS NOT PART OF SUDOERS, THIS **WILL** BE REPORTED!!!
>>E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
>>E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/) is another process using it?
These seem like esoteric problems. Have you considered Krita?

Posts like these are just proof linuxfags are masochists who enjoy spending hours to make their OS work as intended.

Esoteric might have been the wrong word, isolated is better. What installation would not add a default user to sudoers?
And dpkg locking is intentional, anything could be causing it such as background updating such as source lists.

...until you do because the GUI shat itself. Or doesn't let you do the one thing you needed. Or it's so bad that you'd rather use the terminal anyway.

Guess what, even my now 60 year old mother which has absolutely no real clue about computers installed Linux herself and everything works out of the box.
Either you are all seriously mentally retarded, or your computers are broken.

I did this but the opposite happened.

>linux
>gaming
>b-but muh wine!
>t-the drivers work just fine in my machine, trust me g-guys
There are plenty of areas where using Linux is the top choice but gaming is not one of them and never will.

What works out of the box, exactly? Did she try to install literally anything?

You kept dual booting?

this, jesus christ
>this thing we have isn't broken and works fine
>let's "fix" it
and thus systemd was born
and then
>"fix" starts taking over the entire system, "fixing" everything it touches

gpu passthrough to a windows vm, congratulations you've covered everything wine/dxvk can't.

Only go to my windows partition to play games. Linux most of the time.

>apt
there's your problem, you should be using apt-get

>and never will
You are making assumptions for a very long period of time

And proof that you love to waste your time ricing your broken distro

>What installation would not add a default user to sudoers?

Debian, for one.

re!

>B-B-BUT THAT DOESN'T COUNT!
Linux fags, everyone.

Who are you quoting?

Attached: .png (1296x109, 15K)

Command line is superior especially when you got all these ui that his options behind hover tree in shit.

t. windows user here when will amd stop being shit on both windows and linux?

Drivers that don't seem to get updated at all on linux and where the fuck are the updates for the 2500u, oh wait stuck on OEM bullshit to get them validated and working so that means lol jk no updates.

dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5xxcr&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5575-laptop I'm glad they still release updates I guess!?!!? Although I'd rather it be something more current and not "Samsung" current. 3-6 month delays isn't nice.

not him
debian counts ofc, it's a popular distro, but their "leadership" has grown more and more retarded over time
there's a reason there are so many forks of debian: it's popular, but the people who make decisions in the project are fucking stupid
you got unlucky by picking a meme distro, it's not your fault, people should be more vocal about debian being shit

You mean Ucuntu? With that faggot penguin? That operating system?

Attached: 1550520097943.jpg (1144x948, 132K)

I just went to post that exact line with the exact image. Got a duplicate error, right here. Spooky

Attached: 1550556799310.jpg (95x142, 6K)

i've been using xubuntu for many years now and it just works
i dont get people who say it's complicated and whatnot
maybe they fell for the gentoo meme

has there been any big breakthroughs with proton since they announced it?

Nah, they saw a terminal on google images and noped the fuck out after relapsing into windows command line ptsd

I switched to Mint on the one computer I have still running linux. Honestly I only use it for C++ stuff nowadays.
It's just not worth it for much else unless you only have one computer, in which case it should give you the best overall package since it's easy to use and you can do a lot with it.

Is Mint still rolling their own packages?

Ucunta Kinte!

By unfucking OpenGL.

Make Nvidia develop proper drivers

ha!

>By unfucking OpenGL.
>t.Nvidia user

>what are .deb packages
>what are snaps/flatpaks/appimages

Mint or Ubuntu?

This. I don't think it's out of laziness though. It's more out of a some strange pretentiousness.

>convoluted and annoying
>because of laziness
What a self defeating argument.

>ctrl+alt+t to open terminal/alt+f2 for run dialog
>*tab completes you from behind*
>done

i like that ubuntu has an up to date and officially supported kde flavor, kubuntu. i think mint stopped releasing their kde flavor a while ago.
the "best distro" really depends more on what you plan to use it for than anything

Just keeping windows around on my desktop for a few games
Using Arch for most stuff on my desktop and wiped Windows completely off my laptop, replacing it with Fedora

Attached: blacked.png (500x281, 182K)

protondb.com/
Have you tried gpu passthrough?

As a win7 piratefag I have no real reason to abandon my comfort zone. Windows 10 is admittedly pure essence of cancer, I agree, but I would still install it over Linux. I don't want to migrate unless it's an entirely positive thing for me in terms of usable software, ease of use w/drivers, etc. Thinking about migrating to Linux now feels like a downgrade in terms of how easily I would be able to do the things I do on my PC.

do the games not work with wine or playonlinux?

Wait until kernel 5.0 for mobile AMD drivers, Linux HD 7700 to Vega just werk iirc. Amd's Windows drivers aren't that bad and you don't have to sign up fir an account to use ReLive. Soon you can use drivers from AMD's website for mobile Vega instead of OEM's but idk when that's happening.

The reason why virtually all the major PC game devs stick with DirectX/Direct3D is because coding for OpenGL is a major clusterfuck (with a side of dealing with shitty drivers b/c the hacks running OpenGL mandate that vendors support the archaic/non-performant standards from the old SGI workstation days).

>coding for OpenGL
Good thing Vulkan has replaced it.

windows 10 doesn't really require activation. if you don't activate it, it just has a nag screen in the lower right and disables a few customization features.
if you want to restore those, you can use github.com/ekistece/vlmcsd-autokms which is the pirate activator for win8/10.
the main problem with windows 10, regardless of what anyone else might say, is that microsoft uses their consumer market as guinea pigs for updates. every time i've let microsoft push a feature "upgrade" to me on the non-business channel, it has broken SOMETHING. one time it broke both my ethernet drivers and my audio drivers in the same update; i had to roll back to fix it, i spent a full day trying to avoid having to roll back.
the solution if you want to use windows 10 is to make sure you're using win10 pro and not home, then go to the update configuration section in settings and switch to business channel for upgrades. it also doesn't hurt to defer feature upgrades by an additional 30 days on top of that.

sure, installing programs is easy, but for example when you're uninstalling them it's like you have to concoct some unholy string of commands to make sure you purge all the bullshit you want and you just kinda hope your shotgun surgery didn't fuck up something else

maybe i'm just bad at linux, but hey, so is apparently 99% of the population, hence why we don't see games on linux

Start making open source games with HUGE FUCKING TITTIES!

Attached: 6a00d8341c558f53ef01b8d1593165970c.jpg (500x436, 75K)

vulkan support is huge and is definitely the way forward but saying that it has "replaced" opengl is not true. it WILL replace opengl, but right now if you're releasing a big name commercial game, vulkan support is still not widespread enough that you do need to have an opengl version.

Too bad Vulkan support is still spotty, even on newer cards.

>but for example when you're uninstalling them it's like you have to concoct some unholy string of commands to make sure you purge all the bullshit you want and you just kinda hope your shotgun surgery didn't fuck up something else
Nani?
>sudo apt-get remove
>runs through and checks if nothing else uses the same deps
>uninstalls them along with it
>otherwise sudo apt-get autoremove/autoclean for the rest (deprecated usually)

Unistalling is basically the same on linux and windows. On linux it's one command, on windows you have to navigate through some menus in control panel, but in both cases you still need to hope it didn't leave any garbage lying around, including the registry on windows.

\*ahem\*
Year of Linux desktop.

i don't know, i recall trying to downgrade my PHP with all its modules and it couldn't simply be uninstalled like that. documentation told me i had to do some purge bullshit to get rid of all of it

dxvk is gonna save us

Attached: 1529599573394.png (1920x1080, 1M)

My Windows install is fucked. I can't play half the games I want to because of random errors. Thinking of switching to Windows but I hear it can't play many games.

Check this site and find your fav games you play or wanna play and then decide if it's worth it.
protondb.com/

You know you could just reinstall Windows right?

>My Windows install is fucked
>Thinking of switching to Windows
thinking emoji

But yes there are sites like protondb and lutris that make it braindead easy to get supported games up and running, with middling results for everything else.

That's one of the "features" of Windows, you basically need to reinstall it every few years. I don't know why, I don't think anyone really does, it's just something you have to live with.

To be fair, he's definitely a PEBKAC user when the symptoms are "random errors".

A well maintained install can last quite a while.

If you can't keep a windows clean then don't bother with linux, windows is the most dumb-proof OS.

For Windows do the usual sfc /scannow, direct x web update, ddu and reinstall gpu drivers, .net 4.7.2 update, visual c++ update. Not even joking installing Mint or KDE Neon and using Steam Proton is a lot easier than trying to fix Windows.

>Linux

Attached: 1535661813302.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

Unify the linux video stack. Which will never happen.

I wouldn't call my windows install "well-maintained", but I like to think I know what I'm doing for the most part, and I said that because I recently found out that Rocket League had suddenly fixed itself after a reinstall.

>I've read miles of man pages in my life
oh I'm sure you have buddy.
krita, gimp and pinta exist.
Also don't use debian if you don't understand basic system admistration. The installer specifically asks you if you want to set up a root account or a user with sudo. It's on you for not understanding what that is.

>What installation would not add a default user to sudoers
a good distro that understands security. Imagine giving a retard like you root access.

Elementary is Windows for babbies.

>like you
Why so hostile? One would still need to auth to sudo.