How the fuck does a $10 computer science project end up being of the best games of the generation?

How the fuck does a $10 computer science project end up being of the best games of the generation?

Attached: EF5014BD-85CE-4302-870D-DACD37E8FE17.jpg (400x400, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wargroovewiki.com/Floran_Tribes
starbounder.org/Nuru
pastebin.com/XuJ6wsnQ
youtu.be/Zmd43wV2Ko4
youtu.be/DaPTOc1OgXw
youtu.be/7x3r9jhj2HQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Even if you discount your game to two fiddy and hand over 30% to Valve, your studio is still 12 guys in a garage who sold 8 million copies. They could very well afford supporting the game like they did.

genuine passion for their work, the right kind of fanservice/community interaction/feedback, and substantial almost game changing updates for 4+ years after release. Not to mention its casual simplicity being exploited by ecelebs and a thriving modding and custom map community for massive amounts of replay value.
To top it all off the game is only $10 and constantly goes as cheap as 2.50 meaning no one has an excuse not to own it

Attached: 22nd highest selling.png (1173x872, 121K)

Passion. Something that is missing from a lot of other, bigger projects.

because its a very good sandbox game and seems to filter out any shitters with its difficulty.

Owned this game for years on Steam (got it in some bundle). Never bothered to play it.

Is it even enjoyable for an adult?

No. It's neutered Minecraft for people with extreme autism. It's only enjoyed by mentally ill people like the OP who shits up every Zelda and Metroid thread.

Extremely. Give it a try knowing as little as possible

Is this, dare I say, classic Yea Forums?

Yes, it might even be the best game on Steam. You would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t think it is at least top 5. I thought I was going to hate it because muh minecraft autistic kiddie builder but I played it anyway because it was $2 and my friend kept bugging me. One of the best games I’ve ever played hands down.

>neutered Minecraft
Imagine not ever touching a game but still giving opinions on it

>I'm a dumbass who doesn't know anything about the bosses or played for 5 mintues and found terraria gampedia wiki too confusing to read

I remember when there was this whole minecraft vs terraria war going on back then
Oh wait never mind, it's still going on

>Terraria 2 never
>Otherworld cancelled
>1.3.6 is 2 years late, still TBA
>Switch port is 2 years late, still TBA

Attached: 1495724497337.jpg (480x542, 41K)

Aspies pls. Not everyone has asperger's syndrome and is able to enjoy autism simulators.

Creativity and good usage of budget

they aren't even in the same genre. that's how I can tell you've never played it for more than 10 minutes

Next you are gonna say that rust is a neutered Minecraft because you can build

the art of touching a woman

A better question is why is Starbound so shit.

Yo yo yo it's a circumcison nightmare with a circumcison scream. That little boy, he screamed and cried as they took his everything. Mutilated and branded, scarred and shamed, that little boy lives stranded, his penis lame.

I think an even better question is why play a 2D building/adventure game when you could play a 3D version

But they are. They are building/exploring based game, but one of them is 2d pixelshit so they can just keep adding content they whip up in 15 minutes and you aspies will keep eating it up.
No, because those two are not as similar and as obvious of a ripoff as Terraria is to Minecraft.
If you enjoy your 2D minecraft ripoff by all means do so, but stop pretending it's an actual game. It looks pathetic.

Probably because you got into it while you were still in school, had friends to play it with, and were too young to get into habitual pessimism.

Attached: 1319653906836.jpg (750x549, 596K)

Hey don't fret
Last dev update on its progress was last month and all they said was "hey new item" and "SOON"

Attached: TestyWhiteInvisiblerail.webm (344x354, 400K)

Despite what is saying, the game is what Minecraft wishes it was. A free form crafting game that also happens to have something to do other than stack blocks. If you have a friend to play with, I would recommend it but the game is still a blast alone.

This will always be my biggest gaming disappointment.

no. ones a metroidvania. I doubt you even got past EoC

How long did you actually play terraria for? Did you just chop down a tree and build a house and exit or something?

>It looks pathetic

so you didn't actually play it, confirmed. why are you speaking about a topic you have no idea about?

I’m not even mad at you because I felt the exact same way and have even made the exact same type of post before I played it for myself.

>why is Starbound so shit
1. Quests require you to travel to hub and back a thousand times
2. Race choice doesn't affect anything, unlike what was promised
3. Procedural generation is extremely repetitive
4. Poorly balanced rewards, you don't ever need to explore underground because you can get all the best weapons available on the planet from surface chests

Florans are cute as fuck, it's a shame they were wasted on such a bland game.

>8 million
More like 27 million.

Didn't florans make it into Wargroove?

>Florans are cute as fuck
that's not how you spell avians

>why didn't you keep playing until you'd gotten to the ninth level of hell and crafted the Sword of Asperger's?
Because the game is clunky shit. Deal with it.
>metroidvania
That would imply the levels are designed in any way. They are procedurally generated garbage.
Because it's 5 am and I just woke up.
Eh I'll download it for PC my guess is this game was not meant for consoles. I bought it for 49c on ps4.

Sorry, 8 million is what I remebered from PC only sales back when steamspy still worked. Glad to see it's that much higher now.

>minecraft clone btw

Attached: moonlord.png (375x326, 55K)

Yeah. It's a full-fledged ARPG with some world building elements.
Don't listen to the Apex Fortnite kids telling you otherwise.

I wanna pull party girl's skirt down and expose her horse vagina!

so you admit that you haven't played it for long, was pretty obvious within your first posts but thank you for confirming.

Attached: 739.png (211x244, 80K)

Its time to stop posting.

Attached: [001350].jpg (300x393, 46K)

Did yoyos get nerfed yet?

Attached: yoyo-maze.gif (321x165, 294K)

Yeah I've played it for about 3 hours total.
Just stop replying to me dummy.

>clunky
discard everyone's opinion and ignore everything they say if they use shit buzzwords like these.

KYS subhuman.

>only weapon that makes melee builds even half a viable as mage or ranged ones
>should be nerfed

what the fuck?

To be fair, it used to be before all the QoL updates. Remember when you couldn't walk up a single block and had to jump every time?

>look mommy, I can rationalize playing a minecraft ripoff for children by projecting my immaturity onto others!

Attached: 1547279877743.png (400x500, 183K)

I love this image. There is one small dev on the list. One.

Every other had HUGE publishers.

that's why hammers exist, user

>mage / ranged even comparable to hard mode melee
user?
Have you ever used solar eruption

Angled blocks are also a post-launch feature.

I want more 'thrown' flails
It was so fun spinning a spiked ball around me when surrounded by mobs

>comp sci project
It was a Super Mario clone that got C&D'd.

>there are people that didn't experience pre-hammer slope fuckery
endgame pvp and minigame shit was more fun when it was locked to hell, no hardmode

what completely killed it for me is there being no reason to stay on any planet whatsoever, you just plunder one after another and move on like some middle age mongol

>last weapon in the game is good
>proof that a build is viable

Not that guy, but you shouldn't judge a whole class by the final possible weapon you can have. At THAT point, you're effectively a demigod anyway, which doesn't affect how you view a weapon type for the 20ish hours it took you to get there.

>minecraft ripoff
lmao look at this 1IQ vegetable

>implying
but yeah I had forgotten that slopes were an update

Attached: greenarrow.png (125x28, 692)

>dabs on hard mode melee

Attached: razorblade-typhoon.png (226x243, 1K)

>because it's 5am
oh goodness you're an American.
Look dude, Terraria's an ARPG, Minecraft is a Sandbox.
god damn don't remind me. I forgot how dodgy 1.0 was.

Attached: 1540652858324.png (307x361, 230K)

Yeah, Florans got recycled into Wargroove where they're 3x cuter than they were in StarBound.
wargroovewiki.com/Floran_Tribes

>Nuru
Fucking hell, they even straight recycled Nuru from Starbound.
starbounder.org/Nuru

> animoe poster
> literally posts little cartoon children
> thinks he still has the right of having a opinion

Attached: 1540773917505.png (207x255, 100K)

Free updates. Terraria 1.0 was much worse than it is now.

>can't make your own qt floran that doesn't wear any panties
What's the point?

Attached: Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fepic-games-and-3lateral-introduce-digital-andy-serkis%2FUEBLOG_Andy_04-1920x1 (1920x1080, 1.06M)

I'm american and that guy is a buffoon. He makes us look bad

>meinkampf ripoff
kiddo call me when they have some actual gameplay kthx fk off back to Yea Forums

Love

gay but right

Attached: 42384792.jpg (184x184, 8K)

Why the fuck dont they make a sequel, makes no sense not to from a business perspective

>Chucklefucks
>having any basic idea what they're doing

They tried to with Otherworld but that got cancelled after leaping from studio to studio.
Terraria's going well now that the modding scene's picked up, I'm almost convinced the reason why they haven't made 1.3.6 a small patch is because it'd break mods, saving it for a larger patch.

Super terraria world is shit

All I've seen of note from 1.3.6 is grass blowing in the wind. They need to show off a lot more shit before it's worth losing Thorium again.

Never modded Terraria, what are the best ones? Main ones seem to be calamity, thorium, spirit and tremor.

AAAAAH, I NEED IT

Attached: $.gif (769x456, 1.58M)

It's a little grindy at times and it has a slow start but it ends up being a superb adventure game.

What are you talking about. There's tetris, minecraft and terraria. Pubg might count as well, since it was self published as a first game.

Could that be a yoyo cosmetic?

>ends up
It starts slow but gets great once you get the hang of it. Then you enter hardmode and it turns into a linear armour grind.

Calamity's apparently a hot mess, and Tremor isn't even supported any more.
Thorium is best, and Spirit's nice too. If you want to take multiple major content mods at once, those two are the ones that gel the best, since they're the closest to being at a Vanilla power level. If you only want one, I'd say Thorium.
The /tg/ general on /vg/ has a pastebin on other mods in the OP, worth a look even if you hate generals.

It gets good by hardmode because your digging tools are not garbage and you have better movement options. The armor grind isn't as bad because of the clear class separation, in contrast to early game metals which you might as well save for other shit and just skip straight to hellstone. I started giving my new characters a reaver shark and it sped things up greatly.

Terraria vs Stardew Valley
Go

Quality of life shit like this one mod that increases drop rates, careful with stuff like this though because too much convenience actually makes the game worse.

Apples and oranges. I wish there was a mod that replaced the Starbound cast with Terraria characters.

>calamity
pastebin.com/XuJ6wsnQ

wtf is this ?

A new item in the upcoming update

get the Overhaul mod so the movement doesn't feel like ass with better gun sounds and combat

>calameme

terraria x risk of rain crossover when?

Attached: 3365646.webm (600x600, 2.76M)

It's really not.

Ah, Terraria. The game that finally made me realize how much of my life is withering away by doing menial tasks in shitty games, instead of actually having fun. Addiction dropped, thanks Terraria.

Is this a mod or a spoiler?

are you retarded?

Crawl back into your trash can, landwhale.

It was quite the experience beating it but only after I modded out the god-awful soundtrack

a /tg/-made mod

it's so weird and sad watching this game from it's early beta to it's current state
>races have unique story reason for being in a shitty ship at the start, implying they'll get story missions later
>each tier of smithing lets you make any type of weapon instead of just 2 random weapon types
>used to have skills like that amazing rainbow bubble that lets you float in any direction
>temperature mechanic
>ability to create atmosphere pockets in no atmosphere environments
>mobs used to actually be built from random elements to make each planet slightly more unique

>mobs used to actually be built from random elements to make each planet slightly more unique
Fuck, I forgot about that.

>start the game
>some spinning carrot monster
>20 hours later
>land on distant hostile planet
>first enemy I encounter is spinning carrot monster

Attached: 1521452648035.jpg (555x506, 87K)

It's an amazing game and probably in my top 5 for this decade, they really did a great job. Shame they haven't been able to multiply their work ethic with their profits off the game with the apparent development hell the sequels are in.

Retard.

sometimes, you only really do just have one good game in you

It's the same character. She ended up through a wormhole and sometimes talks about laser guns and uses a teleporation beam. She's also a huge Mary Sue and everyone loves her. Yeah, it's dumb.

>he thinks i'm defending chucklefish
>he doesn't understand how to quote a post properly
Confirmed retarded.

because the 3D version is shit

>that mod some user on /tg/ made that adds slimegirls
the terraria general is top comf when not dead

Attached: 1541732745288.jpg (1078x949, 31K)

>calls me a retard
>uses reddit spacing
>cant even spell correctly
You're a joke. A loser. Get the fuck off this board before you embarrass yourself further. We're done with you.

Are you having a stroke, dude?

God, I remember playing on PS3 and found a friend online for the first time. Still waiting for the Switch port, boys, wish me luck

I genuinely can't tell if i'm getting baited cause this 'person' is bored out of his mind wanting to start pointless shit throwing anymore. Or if he genuinely doesn't understand that Re-Logic made Terraria and not Chucklefish

A better comparison would be Rune Factory vs Stardew Valley but I digress, this is a Terraria thread so pair it up with similar games, okay?

New schizo, cool.
I shall name him Terrakun

>this is a Terraria thread so pair it up with similar games, okay?
Like starbound? :)

>create a game with cool boss fights, cool lore and cool guns
>remove the boss fights, rewrite the lore and nerf the guns

Hey bro, found that Apache yet? ;))

>slime girls
you rang?

Attached: slime girl.png (310x216, 7K)

>make shitty 2D Minecraft clone
>get rich

Fug

>never play game
>pretend to know what it's about

Fug indeed

>pastebin.com/XuJ6wsnQ
wew lad
That's quite the sin list.

tfw otherworld never ever
I want to see them make another game

The random mob generation was pretty fucky, while I'm still disappointed about it I'm more disappointed that they never got it to work right, the removing of the mob generation was kinda necessary because it sucked so hard

I played it all through middle school and now that I've graduated college and moved out, it's still one of my favorite games. The issue is that people nowadays want all this competitive multiplayer stuff, while Terraria is more of a comfy experience to have with friends.
It's really good, but people are jaded from playing MOBAs and Battle Royals and getting salty, so went they see me loading Terraria with a smile on my face the SEETHING begins. Terraria hasn't lost any of it's edge as time went on. In fact, the modding scene in Terraria is STILL updating the best mods in the community.

>Terraria
>bad soundtrack

Huh?

Attached: Starbound Florans.png (1252x1861, 415K)

It's actually fucking insane to look at that list and see Terraria

>best game of the generation
It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but definitely not the best game of this generation

I played like 20 hours of it. It's shit.

Is this stockholm syndrome? How can people actually think this sounds good
youtu.be/Zmd43wV2Ko4
this sounds like the kind of shit you'd hear in an educational game for kids or something

shit taste

There's nothing "Minecraft wishes it was". In Minecraft, there's more to do than just to stack blocks, and if you actually think stacking blocks is all Minecraft is about, you might actually be retarded. Adding a few RPG mods, baubles, AoA, etc., to Minecraft would effectively make it Terraria. Mechanically speaking, Minecraft's combat also has way more depth and, at least in Vanilla, there aren't stupidly OP weapons.

yeah this sounds really bad.

I have 200 hours on it and never finished it. It's pretty gud

So Floran were just gonna be Krogans?

Played it for 30 or so hours when it first came out. It was OK, dropped it after that.

Take the hate gogs off user, this soundtrack is golden.

yup
I changed out the music with an Etrian Odyssey wavebank and that legit bumped the game up 2 points for me

>unga bunga me not play game because you can place things

Look I can buy saying "its not bad you sperg" but actually saying this music is in any way good is genuinely concerning to me, especially when you have to listen to this shit for 90+ hours
youtu.be/DaPTOc1OgXw

Attached: 1521456290743.png (1080x1108, 671K)

The 1.0 tracks aren't good, but some of the stuff added later is pretty decent. I like the Solar Eclipse theme for example

I'm sorry that I enjoy things you don't, user. I'll leave now.

You're the one who told me to
>Take the hate gogs off user
lol, you argue like a butthurt woman

Seriously, what the fuck is up with them? They're acting as bad as Chucklefish was.
>Hey we're working on this spin-off of Terraria, we're working really hard on it, that's why we haven't been talking much.
>Hey you know that game we said we were working on for two years? We give up. Sorry!
>Hey but don't worry, we're just gonna add some more items then this minor update is gonna be out soon!
>Progress update! We're adding some more items. The update will be out soon!
>By the way we're still working on the Switch port, sorry it's taking so long.
I'm genuinely concerned they're having serious problems. This was supposed to be a minor update only really meant to "get things ready for the next big update", but now it's the longest fucking update delay in the game's history.
It's really reminiscent of Chucklefish updates where they really obviously don't have any sort of plan for their update and they just add whatever random ideas they come up with off the top of their heads.

>I played like 20 hours of it.
That doesn't mean anything, how far did you come in those "20 hours". Where you just running around and didn't do shit? Did you even beat the Wall of Flesh?

They have been always working like this and you can't compare chucklefish because their games have 1/4 the content terraria gives

It doesn't

What do japs even think of Starbound?

Attached: the anime is shit, don't bother.jpg (848x480, 46K)

>1/4
too generous
Starbound has only 1/10, maybe 1/15 of what Terraria has to offer

willing to bet you didn't play it correctly

They act like this when they have major 1.x.0 updates, and even then, when they have their little progress reports it's usually "here's a new tier of armor" or "here's a glimpse at a new boss", not "here's a kite" or "here's new wavy trees".
>you can't compare chucklefish because their games have 1/4th the content
Fair enough, it's a bit of a hyperbolic comparison, but you know what I mean.

I mean, objectively, Starbound has a lot of content. It has a ton of furniture, enemies, weapons, vehicles, random gimmick items. But it's all meaningless rehashed No Man's Sky crap.

the underground shroom biome theme is pretty cool

Japs don't think of Starbound.
Nobody does.
As it should be.

>best games of the generation?

Attached: 1544942831040.jpg (576x432, 103K)

>you will never make a game as famous as terraria and get rich

Attached: 1544456298336.png (430x436, 440K)

>Argue
It wasn't argument it was the truth.

Toby did it. His profit "per dev" is actually far higher than Terraria's. Don't give up!

I get you. The melody is all over the place, the little phrases seem to set themes that never resolve, the themes are often cut short by random sound bits and effects, but it somehow fits the game and has a very distinct style that grows on you the more you play the game and listen to it. It's an aquired taste, really. Starbound for example, has very beautiful music that can be listened by itself and can be easily classified as pleasant by most people, but it's really generic and doesn't fit most parts of the game very well.

>I mean, objectively, Starbound has a lot of content
As somebody who thinks Starbound is very situationally okay (which I guarantee will be the highest praise it will get from someone who isn't a furry), it does not, whatsoever.
>Tons of furniture
I wouldn't count a lot of the furniture as "content" because the majority of furniture consists of really shitty overly-specific sets you get from biomes that look terrible and require a stupid amount of grinding to collect. Beyond that, scanning every single piece of furniture you see gets real fucking old.
>Enemies
Absolutely fucking not.
You know how repetitive it is in early-game when most of the enemies in Terraria are just zombies and annoying flying eyes?
Starbound is like that but the entire game.
You'll occasionally come across gun-wielding NPCs but they only have two actions: walk, or shoot. 100% of the time you can just brute force your way through enemies (unless you don't have the right tier of armor in which case you get instantly reamed).
Also all of the bosses are pretty fucking basic so they're not worth talking about. There's like seven or eight of them but you can only ever fight them once per character, aside from the endgame bosses who are a solid "okay" at best.
>weapons
It's your usual fair of "randomly generated weapons" shit, and none of it is really as good as the unique weapons, of which there's maybe two dozen at best. Mech weapons are actually pretty cool, except mechs have fucking retarded damage scaling so the most basic mech weapons instantly kill any non-space enemies, and space enemies can be easily dodged by just flying around them/using drills to bump away ramming enemies (drills being one of your starter mech items), so mechs are one colossal waste of time and resources.
>Vehicles
I presume you're including mechs in this, because the only other vehicles are the hoverbikes which, while fast, are awkward and annoying to drive, and boats, which are pointless.

That's a lot of words to essentially say you agree with me. There's a lot of it, but it's all the same and doesn't add anything.

I can totally accept that it has its own aesthetic at least and can be seen as "charming", but I still think its more miss than hit. As I said it reminds me too much of those edutainment games I played as a kid and really undersells the vastness and depth the game has to offer provided you commit to it.

The EO music happened to be a pretty good fit for the game's aesthetic and feel imo, and I haven't even touched that series so I'm not exactly biased
for example hearing this while spelunking underground youtu.be/7x3r9jhj2HQ felt like a perfect fit
Even then there's tons of other wavebanks to pick from, genuinely my favorite part of the games modding scene

The things you consider content is not what most people would consider content.