What are the best MMOs right now?

What are the best MMOs right now?

Attached: thinking opera.gif (300x300, 892K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mryHIEha7-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

afaik ESO and Black Desert
and that isn't saying much... I guess one could try London 2038, a private but very popular Hellgate: London server, or if you count GTA V as an MMO, that one still stands

bump

please respond and sell me on your favorite MMOs

WoW because it's still better than most f2p trash.
OSRS is pretty alright.
FFXIV if you want a slower, weeaboo WoW.
ESO seems alive? Maybe Black Desert is alive?
Stay away from anything Korean unless you have a fat wallet.

Do you know any good free MMOs? I don't want to commit any money right now. Also I'm not really into RuneScape.

Well, London 2038 is entirely free (they don't even accept donations), and with the Discord community the game feels very alive. Every other free game will have some kind of p2w crap after a few hours

bumping again

>I want good things
>without paying
Where the fuck else would this work

nothing that is out is good
mmos have died since the internet as a whole is different and nobody bothers to socialize

people like to blame it on queues and auction houses but that's not the main cause

Plenty of old, genuinely social mmos are still alive and updating.

Boomers just refuse to play anything that isn't the hot new themepark, then wonder why it's garbage.

>nobody bothers to socialize
well, competing is another form of socializing, that's why the most logical step for online vidya was battle royales

>good things can only be acquired with currency
This thread isn't about your ideologies, I just want something free to play because I'm not ready to drop money on a new game right now.

You could also blame the Battle Royale genre, so many people play those games these days.

>bought FFXIV so I can make a catgirl gf and keep the depression at bay
>the game is also fun
Would recommend. Idk if you'll like it if you don't already like FF or aren't a weeb though

Attached: latest.png (662x680, 611K)

MMOs were dead long before BR was even remotely thought of.

Unfortunately I stopped playing that game when Stormblood came out.

Not true, but you're free to believe whatever you wanna believe.

It's literal fact. MMOs haven't been good in over a fucking decade.

remember when everyone thought maplestory 2 coming to global was gonna take off and be the next coming of jesus

Attached: IMG-20180823-WA0056.jpg (510x487, 32K)

There are plenty of mmos from way over a decade ago that are still going. Are still played. Are still good games. They haven't gone anywhere.

>They aren't shut down, that means they're good
Just stop.

Guild Wars 2, despite everything Yea Forums says

You think they just went around only shutting down the good mmos or something?
Most of the ones still going are doing it for a reason.

You'd need a proper study to prove that because many MMOs are still alive and well today. Don't bother using a game's peak active playercount as an argument either, there are many reasons why RuneScape and WoW don't have the numbers they used to have. Same with lots of other old MMOs. You can't say a game is "dead" just because you don't like it. Games die when they cease to fucking exist, have you ever heard of Exteel? Fuck that game was great.

I was hoping MS2 would end up good but Jungsoo Lee and just about everyone in charge of that game is absolutely incompetent. That game lost way more than half of it's players when raids came out.

I'll give you a real answer since everyone else is just going to suggest their favorite MMO.

If you want:
>Massive amounts of content and collecting shit
World of Warcraft
>A single player anime MMO
FFXIV
>MMO elder scrolls game with bad combat and classes
ESO
>A social MMO with variety and exploration
GW2
>A grinding/number simulator
OSRS (RS3 less so, but it has it's own issues)
>Spreadsheets and a lot of AFKing
EVE online
>Western story and bioware-style gameplay
SWTOR

They all have things they do well, and things they do terribly. Just pick what you're looking for and stick with something.

Stay away from at all costs/negative IQ only:
>Black Desert Online
A pile of bugs, p2w, grind, no content and RNG. Brainlets pretend it's good because it's got flashy animations and they've got brain damage from watching too much anime.

Attached: 1500645362933.jpg (700x500, 155K)

chances are you tried the old school version, which can be annoyingly tedious to play at times
try rs3 instead

>Social
NexusTK. You will not find a tighter community, anywhere.
>Mechanical
DDO. Twelve classes, with subclasses, that you can can multiclass to build a diversity of playstyles that stands far beyond any other game.

The one redeeming feature of BR games is that they keep sub-50 IQ freaks away from real games.

>try rs3 instead
this is the state of new Yea Forums

Attached: ugh.jpg (599x617, 30K)

Real life

Is this image about old vs new mmos or how the narrator perceived mmo gameplay at different ages? Bottom pic has always been relevant.

FFXIV has the best story/music
BDO has the best sandbox world and combat
ESO is a mix, there's nothing horrible about the game but there's nothing incredible either
SWTOR is a really great singleplayer MMO if you like star wars stories and don't hate the tab target mmo combat

WoW is absolute trash and don't buy it unless you want to be disappointed, the rest of MMOs are either p2w cashgrabs or korean trash

Attached: 1546456614128.png (479x595, 432K)

>four basically singleplayer games
?

you're missing osrs, isn't really either of the other categories you gave

that's basically any online game you play except if you are with your friends, unless you count getting insulted over mic or chat interaction with other people, in which case you can pretty much call any MMO a multiplayer game

Attached: 1546984162969.gif (400x221, 344K)

GW2 and TESO are possibly the only MMOs right now that still understand what an MMORPG is supposed to be
And even TESO has automatic matchmaking dungeon finder cancer infesting it

psst. DAoC freeshard is lit
playphoenix.online

relevant, but not always prevalent
before 2007ish and the internet started getting good at hosting guides and expecting people to munchkin, MMORPGs were a game where being a l33t metagamer was out of the ordinary, most people were just fumbling around and having fun

Attached: yC9ig5B (1).jpg (1920x1080, 391K)

GW2 is probably the best time on the market right now, provided you won't miss the gear treadmill of other mmos. And even then there's a bit of that in the form of ascended gear that you do need for higher tier fractals (dungeons that scale in difficulty and introduce a mechanic at later tiers that can only be counteracted by infusions that can only be placed into ascended rarity gear).

Attached: gw150.jpg (3840x2160, 760K)

The only mmo part of GW2 is wvw, and that's about to be thrown out the window when alliances come in.

>t. has never played a real mmo

>The only mmo part of GW2 is wvw
Sounds like someone is not in an active guild.

an MMO is not "a single player game with some chat tabs attached"

>DDO
x1 feels

it can be

No, but it is a platform for people to come together and engage in all kinds of activities that the game offers. There are guild missions, jumping puzzles, world bosses, fractals, raids, PvP (two kinds) and that's not even touching on what players themselves have come up with.

Hell, there's a guild that is all about roller beetle racing and creating their own tracks by way of markers.
youtube.com/watch?v=mryHIEha7-Q

Other than SWTOR and ESO what's the best story based MMO out there?

t. MMOlet who's only ever played a bit of SWTOR

path of exile is starting the new update 8th of march. maybe take a break then blind jump into the autism.

>"You are the chosen one!" mmos
I never understood this.

The best story based MMO bar none is Secret World. It is the unquestionable king of story, but pays for that by lackluster gameplay.

youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

It doesn't help OSRS is more of a cookie clicker. RS3 is trying to break away from that but people like their clickers.

timeless

People who played Runescape liked it the way it was, isn't that obvious?

>muh le olde autistic mmo was the best

back to /oldgamingreddit/

Attached: 1547391361725.gif (255x191, 1.9M)

This is why I like games like Albion Online, because you're just some schmuck trying to get by, not a hero of any sort.