So I actually enjoyed many of the Final Fantasy games. Especially VI, VII, X and XII...

So I actually enjoyed many of the Final Fantasy games. Especially VI, VII, X and XII. So I'm wondering if XIV is worth checking out. To wchich part is it most similar? Is there some story or are there mainly grinding based quests? I don't really have experience with MMOs.

Attached: 1fba921134798d9a6fc8e133dd67c895.jpg (1317x1600, 571K)

Both

It has an ok story and the grind is mostly consists of replaying dungeons/raids for better loot. Game is very well-made and you have a shit ton of things to do besides killing stuff. Can's compare it to other FF games, haven't played a lot of them.
There is a trial untill you hit lvl35 go check it out.

XIV is the best FF game since XII, story wise.
Story is a GIGANTIC element, and I'd argue it's the main hype of the game. There's not only the Main Scenario Quests, but side stories for each job (and crafting/gathering class) and content unlocking like the raids and trials like the Warring Triad or Four Lords.
It is a FF game first, and an MMO second.

Can't comment on XIV, but I will do my obligatory shilling for XIII-2 and Lightning Returns if you haven't checked them out yet or were alienated by XIII.

I am afraid that 's post is entirely bullshit. The storyline is beyond abysmal. Seriously, it's terrible from the ground up. Not only is it a simple copypaste of FFXI's setting with half the thought put into it, the rest is patched up the ass with anime cliches, horrible japanesse humor and excessive wanking of FFVI's setting for the fucking sake of it.
The characters are horrible, the designs are horrible, the quests are hollow to the point you can summarize the entire game in "You are here, at Checkpoint A! Glad you could make it. Meet you at Checkpoint B."
>character turns around and disappears in a walking animation

It is not only isufferably grindy - by which we mean it makes you repeat the same tired instances until you are sick of walking in a straight line pushing the same rotation until you throw up, but you get so generally little from each step in character growth, it becomes tedious.
Any and all twists in the storyline are beyond retarded, for the record, and the further the storyline goes the more choke-full of unnecessary, horribly written side-characters it gets. "You thought I was dead BUT-" happens six different times. It just never manages to get better in any way an MMO or FF game should. It just borrows the most fanservice-esque things it can from every other FF game they know has been popular, then violates it to incorporate it into their storyline.
Seriously, avoid this shit at all costs. It's a sea of disappointment.

Attached: 128675-Mean-Girls-Ew[1].jpg (640x636, 54K)

You are abysmal

Damn you are one bitter faggot.

I don't enjoy when a company regurgitates my childhood in a commercial shit-paste for the sake of farming money from desperate weebs, no.

You'd rather regurgitate what jaded fags spit out here instead LOL

Well I've played the game on and off for 750 hours and had lots of fun. Sorry for you.

I have effectively never visited FFXIV threads in Yea Forums, or anywhere else. I have played the game myself and experienced the garbage handling and writting of it first-hand, and you are perfectly aware that the game is exactly just that, poorly written fanservice for FF fans with nowhere else to go after FFXI became too hold to cling onto, and for weeaboos with no actual current-time anime MMO to play.

Good for you. It doesn't make anything of what I said any less true, however. You can enjoy shit, as many clearly do otherwise it would have shut down for a second time. Doesn't make it any less shit though, if what the person enjoyed was the thought and feeling of an actual FF game.

>The characters are horrible, the designs are horrible
Absolutely fucking wrong. There are incredible characters throughout who sadly don't get the attention they deserve like Gosetsu and Estinien. Even the bland ones like Hien get their concepts off well enough that they're fine.
>It just borrows the most fanservice-esque things it can from every other FF game they know has been popular
Is that why the first fucking callback to the series was FFIII's Crystal Tower? So many people know all about that.
>then violates it to incorporate it into their storyline.
How is this an issue? This is exactly what they should be doing if they decide to callback to an older game.
>if what the person enjoyed was the thought and feeling of an actual FF game.
So, FFXIV. Because, uh, what you described story wise fits more than a few FF games.

>Absolutely fucking wrong. There are good characters, except they are irrelevant for more than five minutes in the storyline.
Ah yes, wonderful. Let's recommend someone to play a fucking MMO with 400 inane sidequests required to even get to the first passable side-character (who is just Kain But An Elf, for that matter.), who then disappears as the game resumes with your EXPOSITION CAT-GIRL, Zidane But Older and Mary Sue Twins as you embark in this storyline where you single-handedly defeat demigods but the next storyline bit after some other literal who Deus Ex Machina's you to the ground.
Now enjoy your fucking Discount Tifa taking over the screen; She's retarded and you are going to like it!

>the first fucking callback is Crystal Tower
Bitch the literal first thing you do in the game is fight an army taken straight out of FFVI, even before Crystal Tower becomes remotely accessible. Crystal Tower is not even mandatory, let alone part of the actual storyline events.
>How is this an issue
If you don't see how a game foregoing any of its actual imagination in place for just shitting out "callbacks" and cameos and copypasted environments from its predecessor MMO is an issue, then you and this shithole deserve one another for sure.

Primals aren't deities retard

I have a friend who recently started xiv and they fucking love it. They've been indulging every piece of lore while also levelling multiple classes

Man you have some serious brain damage befitting someone capable of enjoying this massive turd.

Considering I don't think any of the characters you mentioned are anything like their FFXIV "counterparts" I have no clue who you're even talking about besides the twins and Estinien.
Primals are not even close to demigods btw. Not even Shinryu.
>Bitch the literal first thing you do in the game is fight an army taken straight out of FFVI
Erm, sorry that an FF game has an empire I guess?
>If you don't see how a game foregoing any of its actual imagination in place for just shitting out "callbacks" and cameos
Because having to spin it into the actual FFXIV world is a task in of itself?
I'll even just use Crystal Tower as an example. It has nothing to do with "ending the world" like FF3 does, instead it's an Allagan creation to power Dalamud with the power of the sun. It only happened to have the World of Darkness linked to it because Xande wanted to bring the Allagan Empire back to its former power after its decline, so he made a deal with the Cloud of Darkness, a being of the Void. Now, that brings me onto the next concept. It was a decision of their own, when they have "original" creatures like Diabolos or Ferdiad, to say "Yeah, the World of Darkness is just the Void." and put it all in their world that way, instead of some extra world that happened to exist (of which there are many, but still). All of those differences in a decision to include it as a gamespace because they wanted to.

14's story simply suffers from it being an MMO. You have a cast of characters that more often blend in with the crowd more than stand out. which makes it pretty hard to enjoy the narritive, the villians stand put but still the story suffers from shopping list quest to activate the story. You just dont feel like there is a center main character and pretty much feels like you are merely a doll.
The other final fantasy are better because they do have the central character and has his own personality.

You could have just said there is actually nothing to be said to sway you from your moronic coping and clinging fanboyism because you have invested enough time in the game admitting to its glaring, violent and obvious flaws would be a detriment to your expenses.
There's your answer as to what this game manages, OP. Have fun with that if you go down the rabbit hole.

I got plenty of issues with the game bud, but they're gameplay related, and pretty much nothing to do with the actual storyline besides that I want more.

Stormblood (and much of the DRK storyline) has made tons of efforts to make you actually feel like a character.
You're mostly an altruist, but given some options you can say you're in it for the coin, and hanging out with Gerolt in Eureka, as well as the Return to Ivalice sidequests, you're very "sick of this fetch quest shit" too. DRK makes that last part very clear.
The Warrior of Light is tired of being a hero, but knows no one else can do it.

oh yeah? I didnt play stormblood. I played on my ps3 if I buy the game for my ps3 would I get my old character back?

I assume you meant PS4 or PC, but yeah, you had to login on PS3 right? That's your Square Enix account if so, and it carries over to all platforms as far as i'm aware. They did have a free upgrade way back when they were discontinuing the PS3 version at Stormblood launch.
All your shit should be there, you will need to buy the game and (current expansion) again though. It's just too bad Shadowbringers is so far away because you could just buy that one and get them all. Instead if you want to start before July you have to buy Stormblood.

I can wait till July. I just hope Monk wasnt destroyed in the process. it's a fun class but there is a lot they could do with the class. In fact there is a lot of animations they could add too, like being able to suplex shit.

Oh no user I'm so fucking sorry.
Monk is good, but to me it isn't as fun to play with the new move "Riddle of Fire" which gets rid of all your Greased Lightning speed in exchange for even more damage (you keep the GL stacks too). Ideally you blow all your cooldowns in this window, even including Tornado Kick at the end.
A lot of people have complained about this though, so we'll see what they do with it.

people keep saying
>grease lightning 4!
but any more increase to mnk's GCD basically eliminates it as a choice for 130+ ping players.

Machinist's Rapidfire window clips GCDs when single weaving on 130 ping

Yeah, I completely understand why they went for RoF instead, but it as a skill on its own, not counting what else we could have gotten, just doesn't feel fun to me until I finish it with a huge fucking TK.

explain this to me like I am retarded

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

>Liking X over VIII

You disgust me, faggot. Never show your face here again

Attached: IMG_1472.png (768x768, 152K)

weaving=using off GCD skills between GCDs
"single" weaving=using ONE off GCD skill between GCDs, as opposed to the "riskier" double weaving
clipping GCDs=slight action delay for animations which make it so you can't use your next GCD skill
Machinist's Rapidfire is just a skill that makes their GCD really fast for a few actions so it's harder to wedge stuff in.

shit. I see so my skills need to have a good connection or my buttons inputs are delayed.

ignore this post and give it a whirl.

I can think of so many different things that made X more memorable than VIII. Even then, 8 wasnt that good unless you were a self absorbed edgy teenager. X was for the self absorbed chick flick teenagers.

Slightly yes, you'll only really notice it at higher speeds, since obviously you have less time between GCDs anyway.