Oh my fucking god this game is unbelievable

oh my fucking god this game is unbelievable

Attached: 21857-freespace-2-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1000, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oy2GfP_sMzM
youtube.com/watch?v=ar7_-qs9PII
store.steampowered.com/app/977720/Starpoint_Gemini_3/
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Homeworld
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm
youtube.com/watch?v=o29WTYRogOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aTfYNvB7D1I
youtube.com/watch?v=VppjX4to9s4
reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ivvme/what_is_chris_roberts_salary_as_the_ceo/
youtube.com/watch?v=mfa_7jWEF-w&list=PL0D468E80A441608C&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=gFxjbu2SYjI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you mean by that? That its a great game?

yes it is the best space game i have ever played

Savor it and the many mods because you are never getting another one.

Freespace as a whole is really underrated. It's still one of the best space combat games out there. I really liked how the first one actually gave the feeling of technology progressing through the war- at the start of the game, your ships don't even have shields.

Its okay but not as good as DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

>tfw you finally get the hang of dogfighting with the Shivans

Attached: nuko.gif (370x266, 939K)

What's the best way to play this? Original or has there been any kind of sourceport etc?

FreeSpace Open exists and is quite good.

Attached: DIVE DIVE DIVE.jpg (700x525, 50K)

Does Freespace Open only support Freespace 2? How do I play the first one?

You can download FS port for FS1, but without a game copy you won't get music or voices.

Attached: BwooooooooREEEEEEEEE.webm (1920x1080, 2.31M)

Open actually ports FS1 to FS2's engine.

I played freespace a couple years back and holy fuck what a fun rabbit hole that was. I ended up getting deep into it with mods, as well as old wing commander games and then X3 as well. Btw OP try the X3 games too. Less emphasis on story but a much bigger universe (literally). Also it's mod options are absolutely insane, I've never had so much fun modding a game as X3.
Pic related, my favorite ship. Loved to wreck other ships with this beast.

Attached: 2820_screenshots_2014-12-10_00005.jpg (1600x900, 254K)

Blue Planet is the best post-FS2 story mod prove me wrong

Freespace is concentrated action though.
X series can waste hundreds of hours

>X series can waste hundreds of hours
Too true. Eventually I was just command prompting in dozens of different ships and setting them to hostile to have some intense battles (which is what's going on in that screenshot). Even with spawning shit in it took hours to properly position opposing fleets for set piece battles but my god it was a blast when it was ready. Nothing like using those fuckhuge turrets on the side to rip through capital ships.

Congratulations on single handedly saving the federation! Prepare to be hugged!

>All those good space games growing up
>Nowadays your choices are either to play boring and aggressively mediocre games or hoping the scam factory or fucking bethesda pulls it off

i'm not even a nostalgiafag i just want a good space game why is that too much to ask for

Attached: sad man in rain.png (1920x1080, 581K)

One of the things I adored about Freespace was the way it put you on the same level as everybody else. Your ship isn't any more durable or deadly than any of your wingmen in the same model, it was entirely about how you flew it that counted. It really helped the feeling of being just a lone pilot in a massive battle. I wish more games had that sort of approach to battlefields.

I share the same suffrage. I also wish someone would rise up and make a space opera that can rival Star Wars and as ridiculously large scale like warhammer 40k, but this is reality so we can't have nice things.

OUTTA MY WAY BEST SHIP COMING THROUGH

Attached: hercules II.png (360x288, 99K)

Did they finished the 2nd part?

>old workhorse is superior to new """"""""""upgrade""""""""""

Attached: 912877b25042cd9bae0a7f815c4f39ff--science-fiction-sci-fi.jpg (480x340, 14K)

You will never, ever be able to enjoy flying the hercules again after experiencing the horror that is Transcend.

No seriously, screw whoever thought it was a good idea to shove me in a hercules for 40+ mission series chain with a prometheus R against waves of enemies, and with no resupply at all. It even has your character decline changing ships when offered. I played through the whole thing expecting some kind of payoff from what I've heard and half of it never even gets explained.

t. f14

>Grow up playing Wing Commander, Freespace, Mechwarrior, G.Nome, Starsiege, Freelancer, Crimson Skies, X-Wing, I-War , Homeworld, Nexus The Jupiter Incident, Haegemonia, Mechcommander etc
"Haha oh boy, I can't wait to see how great these games are 10 years from now!"

Attached: plzstop.jpg (800x800, 104K)

time to die

I died years ago.

Attached: Suffering.png (1024x589, 789K)

God, don't remind me of that shit.

Attached: time for a drink.jpg (522x287, 40K)

>MechCommander
I miss it dearly.

Freespace 2 was awesome. But it also killed space flight sims as a genre. The sales were so shit publishers lost faith in them. Freespace 2 killed Wing Commander.

Man i'm long overdue for a Votoms marathon, which reminds me, Heavy Gear is dead as well.

Fuck.

Feels bad, man.
Why did it sell so terribly, anyhow?

Attached: scopedog votoms.jpg (600x800, 104K)

>still no good star trek game

>But it also killed space flight sims as a genre. The sales were so shit publishers lost faith in them.

Nah. People stopped playing them before FS2 came out. That's why it sold like shit.

To put it into a perspective you'll understand, think of a recent fad like the DayZ games. Nowadays, no one gives a fuck anymore about these. FS2 did the same thing as if you released the best DayZ game ever made today.
Even if people recognised it as the best game of its genre, they still wouldn't play it.

Space arcade games were a fad that had died a few years prior to FS2's release. Releasing it as they have was as bad a decision as releasing Fortnite today in its original DayZ form instead of a battle royale knockoff. And I love them for going through wwith it.

>Why did it sell so terribly, anyhow?
Crazy competition would be my guess, we're talking god tier years for video game releases and games so good that 20 years later most are considered the top of their genres still.

Freespace 2 came out the same year as Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Half-Life Opposing Force, Age of Empires 2, System Shock 2, Tiberian Sun, Planescape Torment, Dungeon Keeper 2, Homeworld, AvP, Battlezone 2, Jagged Alliance 2 etc

And most people probably still hadn't finished all the god tier releases from the year before like Half-Life, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, Thief, Fallout 2, Unreal, Rogue Squadron, Commandos, Battlezone etc

Competition was fierce.

Space sims as a genre were starting to loose appeal in part due to extreme over-saturation. From Wing Commander 1 in '90 to Freespace 2 there were a billion of the things.
Freespace 2 was the beginning of the end but it was Freelancer that killed the genre for good.

So, any oh these games worth playing today? I've played Freelancer but never knew there were so many of them.

Preferably not rely too much on joystick controls and manual.

There's a few promising open world ones i've been keeping an eye on, but pretty much nothing that's more Freespace 2 mission based.

97-99 was tough year for PC Gaming, despite how good many of these titles were.

No, and its never going to finish, just play whats there its already pretty damn big

>So, any oh these games worth playing today?
Honestly, all of them.
>Preferably not rely too much on joystick controls and manual.
You can get away with playing most without a joystick, but you're going to have to learn controls, be it via in game tutorials, just looking at the controls or pic related.

Attached: Mechwarrior 2.jpg (775x529, 137K)

Wings of Dawn Episode 2 is out where my weebs at?!
youtu.be/oy2GfP_sMzM

>Freespace 2 came out the same year as Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, Half-Life Opposing Force, Age of Empires 2, System Shock 2, Tiberian Sun, Planescape Torment, Dungeon Keeper 2, Homeworld, AvP, Battlezone 2, Jagged Alliance 2 etc

UT required a monster PC to run, most people played it a year or two later.
Quake 3 was already a game in its own niche and people who played that did not play any other game, anyway.
HF:OF disappointing expansion.
AoE2 and SS2 I'll give you those.
Tiberian Sun required a monster PC to run and was the No Man's Sky of '99. Ran terrible, looked terrible and was just a massive pile of false marketing and lies.
Planescape Torment was niche as fuck, most people played it much later.
DK2, HW and AvP are fair game.
Battlezone 2 didn't do any good and the PC Battlezone games were rather unpopular on the whole.
JA2 is also a niche game.

No, FS2 died because people were sick of space arcades at that point. It was the exact same process as people today getting sick and tired of MOBA clones, futuristic settings in FPS games, then DayZ clones and so on.

>never getting another one
someday we might but it'll be shit

>All the most important people for the mod are normies with jobs and families now and have no time and practically no work has gone into finishing it for the past several years

Attached: 1356916517286.gif (300x264, 2.96M)

Homeworld has a remaster
Star Wars flights sims, Nexus Jupiter Incident, I-War, Freespace are on Steam
Can pirate GOG ver of Wing Commander (which one to try out?)
Mechwarrior, Mechcommander abaondonware, Starsiege freeware.

Where do you suggest I start?

>that time where Volition acknowledged freespace for the last time

Attached: WoZXrhL.jpg (1280x800, 200K)

I'll never forget playing this as a kid.

>UT required a monster PC to run
UT sold 250k copies in it's first six months.
>Quake 3
Q3 sold almost 300k copies in it's first six months.
>HF:OF
Sold over 100k copies on release.
>Tiberian Sun
Whilst a huge disappointment to me personally, it sold 1.5 million copies in it's first month.
>JA2 is also a niche game.
Jagged Alliance 2 sold 100k copies in Germany alone on release, close to 500k world wide.
>Planescape Torment was niche as fuck
Planescape Torment sold 50k copies in Germany alone on release, probably well over 100k world wide.
>Battlezone
Sold over 200k copies within the first six months.

Meanwhile FS2 failed to sell 30k copies within it's first year. I think you underestimate just how big a lot of those "niche" titles were and how poorly FS2 sold, even compared to literal who titles of the era. I don't think you can point at any one thing as to why FS2 failed, it was a perfect storm of market conditions that led to it's failure.

I'd say start with Homeworld.

Really depends on what kinda stuff you like. Mechcommander is an RTS, and there's quite a few Mechwarrior games. I'd recommend any of the 4 games- they're a bit of a pain to get running on modern systems but they still hold up extremely well and have a ton of mod content available.
Freespace is sorta like Ace Combat in a sense, and it's for the best that you play 1 before 2 for story purposes since 2 will spoil most of it's predecessor for you.
Starsiege is actually the predecessor to the Tribes series, though it plays like Mechwarrior.

Modern games wish they could get you as pumped for a mission as Wing Commander 1 could
youtube.com/watch?v=ar7_-qs9PII

I forget, did they ever fix the Homeworld 1 remaster fucking up a ton of stuff like non-hitscan projectiles and formations due to being on the HW2 engine?

Formations got fixed but I don't think the projectiles were.

Diaspora is best TC
Change my mind

Nah, the remaster is still fucked, but the original is still perfectly playable and you're going to be playing that sweet sweet Cataclysm as well anyway.

Just play Star Citizen senpai
everyone shits on it until they actually play it, makes up pretty much the entirety of the /vg/ community of people who were rused by Something Awful faggots that parroted Derek Smart talking points about how the game is a vaporware scam from a dude who produces nothing but vaporware and dogshit video games.

Attached: arccorp.webm (640x360, 2.97M)

It's shallower than NMS.

Strange looking Perseus you got there, buddy.

Yeah, just wanna make sure the new guy doesn't make the mistake of getting it.

Thank anons.
I'll start with Homeworld Remastered(in mood of RTS) and move up to Freespace 2 (should I buy Freespace 1 too? or use the mod to play FS1?)

I genuinely wouldn't recommend buying HW remastered and rather pirate the old ones instead. It run just fine on modern computers.

what is a comfy space simulator i can just chill and mine while listening to music? bonus points if its laser mining

Attached: eve_mining_retriever[1].jpg (2048x1152, 588K)

Starpoint Gemini 3 announced.

store.steampowered.com/app/977720/Starpoint_Gemini_3/
>Modular ship upgrading system
This is a massive red flag, spaz 2 was not that fun

>lose 2 guns
>go slightly faster as a trade off

''''''''''''''''''upgrade'''''''''''''''''''''''

Bridge Commander?

It's been what, 1-2 years after he said a part of it would be released. Now they're trying to sell squadron FIRST, which was never the plan. Sounds like they're running out of money. The best thing for it is they need to decide on a cut off point, work towards it, release when finished and keep adding the content as time goes on,

Don't play Remastered, find the old one and Cataclysm online. The remaster breaks a lot of 1 and doesn't have the sweet ending song by Yes
Plus, you'd be giving money to Gearbox.

It loses two of the guns in exchange for way more missiles.

EVE Online.

X4 foundations

Old Homeworld it is then.

EVE online kinda scratched the itch but there was zero ship handling and aiming, just press a hotkey and its done, so it was not that fun

Good man.
Also widescreen fix for HW1/Cataclysm and other misc info that might be handy.
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Homeworld
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm

Oh if you want active mining, Elite Dangerous introduced a top tier mining system a few updates ago.

Anyone here played House of the Dying sun? While game plays well, campaign is really barren, typical for indie team of this type.

also youtube.com/watch?v=o29WTYRogOQ

damn, i should've really bit the bullet and bought it when it had a promo, heard a lot of mixed reviews and was not sure if i should

>best game in the entire genre's sales were so shit publishers lost faith in them

Attached: 1521840361262.jpg (264x292, 28K)

Hot take: Lucasarts space sims were better.

Attached: pdanTviea6RbLMcsWAQD4K.jpg (1280x720, 123K)

>can't mount the Maxim
>literally a Horus but with the speed traded for slightly more tankiness

That UI... yikes

fuck your so called amazing pc games
im glad theyre all dead
now we can all eat shit together

Goddamn, that looks gorgeous.

Mechanically it's a great game, the mining is the best i've ever seen in a space sim, docking is awesome, the flight model is awesome, the fully animated and interactive cockpits are awesome, full control of your ships systems is awesome, combat is awesome.......but everything you do in between those awesome mechanics is such fucking ass the whole thing becomes an absolute chore to play and unfortunately you spend 80-90% of your time doing the shit stuff.

If Freelancer had ED's mechanics, you'd have the best god damn game ever.

I wish to christ ED wasn't some quasi mmo bullshit and they'd just focused on created a great SP game like Freespace 2 or X series.

I bought x3 on gog and it crashes whenever I use two inputs at the same time on my joystick. Can’t find anything online.

I’m using a Logitech 3D pro.

What are the best mods for FS2Open?

>Homeworld for Freepsace
Well I know what i'm doing this weekend.

Yeah, exact same feeling

Good thread lads.

This whole series is on sale. Have SG2 from giveaway, perhaps can grab DLCs.
How's SG Warlords? Worth it for 80% off?

Attached: Starpoint-Gemini-Warlords-Genocide-01-Header.jpg (1920x1080, 1.42M)

Fuck Star Citizen, it's completely ruined our chances at the genre being properly revived given how much of a fucking abomination it is.

Who owns the rights for Freespace?

I just checked and I already Homeworld Remastered in my library (maybe from one of the Humble Bundles).

Reading from pcgamingwiki, they already have original games with them. So I think I should be good.

> Mechcommander is an RTS
RTT

Yes its not bad just don't expect too much. Taking over sectors is pretty nice

Have you noticed sound design in House of Dying sun? The moment you die, it goes pitch black, no sound.
Also I felt same for Brigador when it comes to game content. Top tier mecha game, with tank controls, including light and heavy mecha, actual tanks, hover vehicles and motorcycles with weapons. This game is Crysis of isometric games, it even has "dynamic" lightning. By far best looking isometric game ever. Plus it has environment destruction. But campaign is so barren, you don't get to do anything, no story, no characters, only lore snippets, few maps cycled through. For base campaign you can't even pick your weapon layout, you get only to choose 1 out of 4 predetermined mechas. It's a 9/10 game at the core, but as a whole package it's mild 7/10.
youtube.com/watch?v=aTfYNvB7D1I

Ok this explains the sales

I like that they put all their focus on movement and controls and it's REALLY fun. This game is gamplay centred.
The flavor text they they put was nicely handled IMO, I'm assuming this is the best with what they had.

>promising
They all look terrible though, or have some extra bullshit.

No it isn't that's a lie

there was trainwiz's game at the /vga/s

Star Citizen soon bros
youtube.com/watch?v=VppjX4to9s4

>Tiberian Sun required a monster PC to run
wrong

Nope, that's a fact, in it's current state Star Citizen has less content, mechanics and gameplay loops than NMS.

Call me in 5 years with Star Citizen is "finished", in 10 when it's playable.

>less content than NMS
see thats where everyone can see that you're lying

these things scared the shit out of me
it's like deep sea stuff

The game is boring as shit and is a development disaster but it does have stuff to actually do.

Feel of flight and weaponry is top tier (only thing missing is incremental cruise control like in Freespace), they just need to graduate to AA level, and add meat to the game. Until some indies don't start expanding to teams of 5-15 people we won't be getting really great 3D titles for PC, like in late 90s, early00s.

Remastered wasn't recommended because it fucked with the original game. Namely, porting 1 into 2's engine while simultaneously changing the gameplay into more like 2.

People don't want to buy joysticks when they can play half life and counterstrike with a mouse.

I'm not lying, Star Citizen isn't even a game yet, it's a few features and a bunch of broken content.

>tfw Yea Forumslancer server is dead

I don't remember the sound going out when I died, but otherwise the sound and music was solid in that game.
Also heard lots of good things about Brigador, but there was some criticism among the good things that has put me off of buying that game (or even pirating it to see what it's all about). The sprite work looks impressive though. Reminds me of that Wings of Saint Nazaire game that's going to be forever in EA.

No Man's Sky Next is great don't get me wrong but comparing Star Citizen's content to NMS' proced generation and the fact that one is an immersive sim MMO and the other is an arcadey sandbox is retarded

Is it though? Really? They went from having no employees and no studio to 450 employees across 6 studios in 3 continents and a playable persistent universe for backers in six years? Let's say development reasonably started in 2014 because it's retarded to count the years when they were hiring people and were without even a hundred employees.

If Star Citizen were under a traditional publisher, it would've JUST been revealed. MMOs have a 6-8 year development cycle these days and that's with an established team

Attached: lorville.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

and there will literally never be another game like it

I urge everyone in this thread to try it out the next time the game has a free weekend. Try it for yourselves. I brought a couple friends into it that were /r/starcitizen_refund circlejerk fags and they ended up buying packages because we had so much fun.

You can literally play the game for free and see how much of a game it is. Don't listen to anonymous shitposters

Attached: 1546670946632.jpg (2732x1536, 517K)

they're working on a game instead

>Don't listen to anonymous shitposters
He's right, listen to backers, listen to people who paid for this shit over SIX fucking years ago.

Star Citizen has less content and gameplay than NMS.

In fact Star Citizen has less content and gameplay than every "space sim" i've ever fucking played.

Attached: Faggot.jpg (1630x141, 36K)

Sound goes off for a few moments, because in real life, sound goes off and everything becomes black when you die. You're dead. It's a built in feature (it sometimes happen, depending when you die, before you wingmans or after)

lmao cultist

Attached: lol07.gif (480x270, 3.89M)

Fuck yeah. Played this and the first one for the first time last year. Fucking great. It was like the perfect space combat combat I never knew I wanted.

Attached: freespace2.png (1920x1080, 996K)

I could post the same screenshot but I'm not going to bother. If you want Star Citizen as it was pitched at it's 2 million dollar goal, go play Elite Dangerous. It fucking sucks.

Star Citizen is now a $200 million dollar game. Stop being an impatient faggot.

That being said feel free to sell me your Kickstarter account if you feel that jipped by it :^)

I paid $30 and I've gotten literally 300 hours of gameplay out of it already. That's a solid return on investment in a buy2play MMO senpai

Attached: no pay2win.jpg (1596x1836, 663K)

I can't, because you're right.
>that voice acting on mission briefings
>that music
>those authentic battlestars and ships (except for the missile locks, but that's just a gameplay element).

>If you want Star Citizen as it was pitched
Gosh, what a fucking horrible concept. People actually getting what they paid for when they were told they'd get it?

Absolutely outrageous.

I'm still amazed with the quality of voicework a lot of the Freespace fan content has.

Lol, more of these Star Citizen paypigs shilling a nonexistent game.
Dream on, kiddos.

Attached: bd8.png (588x427, 230K)

Is it that hard to make space games? Seems they're all fraught with drama these days.

If you were trying to sell me on Star CItizen your image just completely put me off it. All he's saying is "Yeah we're having microtransactions b-b-b-b-tu they're optional and only cosmetic!!!""

Hard pass.

Imagine wanting something so bad that you'd willingly crowdfund it AND THEN get upset when the game has exponentially grown in scale because they have $200 million to develop the game instead of $2 million to develop the game

In your little fantasy world I spent 300 hours staring at a blank screen I bet because apparently the game I was playing and having fun with friends in "doesn't exist"

Again, it's free to try out once every 3-4 months. Don't listen to these useful idiots getting paid like a fiddle in the middle of a failed game developer's obsession with a successful rival of his :^)

Attached: insurance.jpg (1334x248, 76K)

no
it's pretty damn easy actually
it's just a bunch of static objects floating in space

Just like the other user, I suggest old homeworld instead because remastered screwed up with the old game quite a bit, fucking up collisions and removing a lot of fighter wing configurations (and they are pretty important for some, especially sphere formation on stealth fighters that enables them to surround a ship permanently and fire at it from all sides and whenever he turns to retaliate, the fighter vanishes and another one on the other side shoots it, further forcing the frigate to spin and accomplish nothing).

>I want an immersive sim MMO but I don't want to pay a subscription and I don't want to pay for cosmetics
idiot

Shill your garbage elsewhere faggot, this is a thread about actual games, you're not welcome.

Just Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen

That's what I thought yet Star Citizen, NMS and even Elite Dangerous are deeply troubled developments
When is the indiesphere going to step up and fix this

>Is it that hard to make space games?
Yes. It's easy to put a bunch of shit in space and call it a day and expect the player to have fun. The hard part is balancing everything, giving the game the right kind of vibe, having an AI that's not too aggressive or passive, having good VA and music etc. etc. etc.

Nothing personnel kid

Attached: 400full-edison-trent.jpg (400x431, 33K)

Yes you will t. someone who played through FS1 with voices, music and movies

There was a guy here making an indie freelancer clone that looked promising

Well that's true but other genres have to do all that and more
You'd think someone could pull off a decently ambitious space game that doesn't reach new records of pissing everyone off

When I played Freelancer and Darkstarone I dreamed of playing a rpg and that sequences between piloting the ship would be the game and piloting the ship from one station to another plane to another moon would be the boring tedious parts with occasional dogfighting and shit.

Think of Kotor 1 an 2 and first Mass Effect and Unreal 2 the awakening, but ship being actually piloted and not a cutscene, movie, etc.

And the galaxy would have dynamic economy and stations and worlds would all be different with different species, needs and production and trade goods.
Essentially everything Chris Roberts is lying about.

Attached: scamCitizen.jpg (318x918, 66K)

Fugg

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 22.31.43.png (2098x1600, 2.32M)

Because space sims aren't actually that popular. Star Citzen is backed by 40 year old whales who played Wing Commander as a kid. Modern game developers might even be too young to even have played any

Oh oh I forgot X Rebirth

Oh shit didn't know EP2 was out

Anyone played this? Is this too far up the simulator autism?

Attached: 51ZtVjuuptL._SX679_.jpg (679x206, 20K)

I mean there's a lot of promising indie titles year after year but something inevitably happens.

I miss Wing Commander.

Attached: a52cm-kilrathimen.png (512x448, 8K)

>I WANT A CROWDFUNDED SPACE MMO WITH 100 SYSTEMS IN UNDER TWO YEARS THAT IS IN A PERFECT LAUNCH STATE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's honestly pretty great, unfortunately there are very real limits as to what one man can create........and the Evochron dev has exceeded those limits ten fold, but he's still just one man so you're constantly left wanting.

That would be Underspace

That's the whole vibe thing.
Devs don't remember how the space theme felt like back in the 70's-90's. There's no tension or sense of drama whatsoever. A game's theme is more than just its graphics and music. Go compare FS 1/2 with a current day space sim.
It's like the neverending cyberpunk discussion where people think that making the game dark, adding rain and adding neon makes it cyberpunk. There's more to it and I think people don't understand that because they've forgotten the "mentality" of old space games. Current day games are all hurf durf muhreen shit, lolsorandumb xD cartoony shit or LOTR fantasy tier stuff.

Cope.

nope still not sold

cringe

seethe

>I WANT A CROWDFUNDED SPACE MMO WITH 100 SYSTEMS
No one wants that, MMO's are cancer.

reddit

>play 3030 Deathwar
>it's kinda like Freelancer lite
>so it's over even sooner than Freelancer

It was okay, but now I'm starving again. Fuck, why is Endless Sky taking forever to update?

Last time I checked Star citizen had 1(one) procedurally generated planet and 0 star systems.

I want that.

>Comfy space thread ruined by yet another Scam Citizen shill.
Every god damn time.

>he doesn't want EVE with actual space cockpit gameplay
neck yourself

This is hilarious because whatever you're all saying there, I have it all filtered to "i suck cocks".

I liked this game but I sucked so much at it I had to play on one of the easier difficulties.
When will the space genre take off again?

Just boot up X3AP with mods

No you don't.
You think you want it.
But you don't.

that’s pretty gay, user

>still no good star trek game
Bridge Commander
Klingon Academy
Starfleet Command
Armada
25th Aniversary
Judgement Rites
A Final Unity
Fuck You Dukat

I actually want a big MMO with hundreds of thousands of players in a persistent galaxy flying from planet to planet with economy, player made corporations, pirate associations,etc. if EVE and Freelancer had a kid with some Star trek bullshit sprinkled for the fun of it...

I never actually got round to playing Freespace, is the first one worth playing or should I jump straight in to 2? Do I need a stick or can I play it with KB+M?

Damn I love that game. Why do the best games have the worst development cycles.

Play 1 and then 2. The story is one of the things that makes the games great and you'll want to experience it in the right order. You can play it fine with kb&m. Get the FSO project as mentioned ITT.

1, then 2. And find a stick.

Holy fuck this thread, FS2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I haven't been looking for stuff about it, didn't even know it had so many mods and FSO, can anyone recommend some mods for it?

This. Imagine being so delusional and caught up in a /r/starcitizens_refund circlejerk that you can't even acknowledge that some or even most people who bought Star Citizen genuinely enjoy Star Citizen

Cool, thanks. Any cheap stick recommendations?

Imagine thinking that was an opening to shill your unfinished garbage.

Pro tip, it wasn't.

Are you telling me that Star Citizen will have more than 10 people per server?
More than one planet finished?

Are you so fucking autistic that you think everything is about Star Citizen? Fuck off already, you've already ruined this thread.

They're putting in a Coruscant-tier city planet in next month with a shit load of moons. There's already 50 per server and they're working on network meshing that'll allow for hundreds on a single instance at a 80% NPC to 20% player ratio.

Fuck MMOs. Give us a huge, immersive space sim/RPG that lets you hop out of the cockpit/hangar and wander around and do quests.
And make it single player.

>There's already 50 per server
Oh yeah, and that works so fucking well when they can't even network 3-4 people properly.

FUCK

OFF

WITH

YOUR

BULLSHIT

SHILL

Freelancer will forever be more of an MMO than Star Citizen.

>develop a game for hundreds of millions of dollars with a high probability of failure and no recurring revenue
yeah... no
t. project lead at a major studio

Go back to Something Awful and sniff DS' farts there

Blue Planet is one that everyone recommends.
These are some mod names that I had saved from an ancient FS discussion on Yea Forums
>Silent Threat: Reborn
>Shrouding the Light
>Derelict

Other mods
>Transcend
>Wings of Dawn
>Into the Depths of Hell
>The Procyon

Then games will forever suck dick, and you can keep giving money to Scam Citizen to let you play a glorified demo.

Was wondering, has anyone tried that new Knossos launcher thing for Freespace?
It's supposedly much better than the FSO launcher we've had for years.

Alternatively, i'll just keep playing actually good, finished space games that can support more than 5 players without being laggy, broken messes lmfao.

Another zoomer sees the light today

not him but I was playing Star Citizen the other day and I was on Hurston in a full instance just fine. Stop making up bullshit.

Cool story bro.

How is the story in these games? I remember back like 12 years ago my friend showing it to me and thinking it looked incredible but my PC couldn't run it. But I'd be willing to give it a shot now.

EVE like in your image is laser mining but beyond uninvolved, your only input is choosing a new rock or dumping your cargo.

Elite is a little more involved with you needing to aim at the rocks.

Pretty good and still holds up. It's movie-grade in narrative if you can forgive the lack of visulization - most is told via voice.

I fucking hated that campaign. I know it's kind of the flagship mod of the FS2 community, but it did nothing for me.

Mass effect is a copy of freespace but infected with the gay and aids

Fucking excellent. First game's story is a buildup toward the second game's which was amazing.

Attached: Freespace 2.jpg (1030x1462, 1.35M)

Don't listen to these faggots you can play it for free

Stop spewing misinformation. All your bullshit is dis-proven within the first five minutes of playing the game, which again, you can play for free during a free flight weekend. One is coming up soon.

Attached: shocked.webm (868x1034, 2.94M)

Nah, Mass Effect's story is a shitty version of Star Control.

>Shilling this hard
Yikes.

>play a demo of a demo of a game that was never designed to be finished, only to milk millions of dollars from faggots and shills
Sign me up, nigga.

Attached: zoomer.gif (480x561, 216K)

Freespace Open is your answer.

>telling someone to try something for free instead of listening to anonymous faggot #198219218982918912 on the internet huffing Derek Smart's farts is shilling

neck yourself

Mass Effect could've done it if Bioware hadn't fucked it up so horribly.

I'm not that user and I have no stake in this conversation but why do you talk out of your ass just to discredit a game you dont like?
I have seen many videos of 20v20 happening in the game with guns and on ships.

Making something free doesn't make it good.

>I have seen many videos of 20v20 happening in the game with guns and on ships.
And all of it is laggy shit.

I could've lived with being stuck in the Herc II, but forcing me to use a Prometheus R is unforgivable.

Just means they can't find enough people willing to actually pay money to play that shit.
Scientology has free auditing sessions.

>Freespace 2 killed Wing Commander.
No, it revived Wing Commander.

Attached: WC Saga.jpg (640x360, 37K)

It got basically no advertising, so no one even knew it existed.

The shots sometimes fail to register but I haven't seen any lag, you really need to stop spreading disinfo.

There are plenty of choices but depending on how much depth you expect beyond the mining itself you might want to skip one or the other.
Elite Dangerous has active mining with various lasers and blasting devices and you use drones to scoop up fragments (doing it manually is too tedious). The world economy itself is pretty shallow and you essentially mine to sell the shit for money with no meaningful impact on anything.
The X series has simplistic mining with lasers that is less engaging than Elite Dangerous but there's a real economy that depends on mined goods. However, the game is focussed on empire building with you having large automated ship fleets and own stations.
Avorion is an indie game made by one guy that has mining as important part of the progression and you build your own ships and stations out of blocks and modules. The game has an economy like the X games, though held back by the indie-quality nature of the game and its limitations.
Evochron games also have ship and base building but it's a complicated and somewhat clunky game made by one guy. It's pretty immersive though.
Space Engineers also has enjoyable mining and building but no larger scale economy beyond staying alive and building bigger and better ships for your own use.
Kerbal Space Program has tons of mods that empower mining and economy but it's an orbital mechanics sim, making it require effort and precision to get anything done.

>The shots sometimes fail to register but I haven't seen any lag
Do you even read the things you type, or more importantly, think about them?

Just a friendly reminder of the mentality of the morons who shill this. Read the replies.
reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5ivvme/what_is_chris_roberts_salary_as_the_ceo/

Think I'll get started on that as soon as I feel comfortable with my new Thrustmaster stick. I finally decided to try a different brand after my most recent Extreme 3D Pro had four of its buttons stop working after only three months.

WoD is nice not just because it's a very good mod in its own right, but because its more upbeat tone is a refreshing change from the grimdark shit you get in most FS2 mods.

The corporate cock sucking is unreal and quite literally some of the cringiest shit i've seen.

Hey faggot, which of pic related was you?

Attached: doubleyikes.jpg (888x526, 115K)

Attached: 1505374367098.gif (309x313, 2.91M)

It is indeed fucking amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=o29WTYRogOQ

>Star Wars flights sims, Nexus Jupiter Incident, I-War, Freespace are on Steam
Those are all on GOG, too, if you prefer that. The GOG versions are a little easier to pirate as well.

>Can pirate GOG ver of Wing Commander (which one to try out?)
You should probably skip right to 3. I've heard that the GOG versions of 1 and 2 don't work very well. Maybe watch the story cutscenes from WC2 on Youtube. WC1 wasn't heavy on plot or character development, so you won't miss much in terms of story by skipping it. Personally, I think WC3 and WC4 are the best ones.

The problem is that that same high-intensity launch sequence plays before every single mission, even if it's just a basic patrol.

i had freespace 2 installed for a while until my flight stick stopped working. the game took up like 14gb.. impressive size for its age and genre

That's probably all the graphical mods you ended up adding. Base game was like 2Gb or something.

THE MENU MUSIC FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK, nostalgia kicked in yo

>should I buy Freespace 1 too? or use the mod to play FS1?
Use the mod. It comes with all the FS1 assets and plays on a much-improved engine. It's a perfect port of the original, except for one mission being a lot harder to complete all the bonus objectives for due to missiles behaving slightly differently than they did in the original.

>freespace thread that lasted more than 10 posts on Yea Forums

A little bit of faith restored.

Attached: fs menu.webm (716x540, 1.68M)

their level of insanity is proportionate to the amount of money they backed with, and star citizen is the most premium of the premium scams

OH GOD THEY'RE FOLLOWING ME. MAYDAY

The Aftermath Reboot
The Antagonist
Derelict
Just Another Day
Silent Threat Reborn
Wing Commander Saga
Wings of Dawn

Interplay, AKA "That company that somehow still exists even though they haven't actually made anything in 15 years."

I wish more mods did something with that visual novel system.

>forgetting Blue Planet: War in Heaven

>Imagine wanting something so bad that you'd willingly crowdfund it AND THEN get upset when the game has exponentially grown in scale because they have $200 million to develop the game instead of $2 million to develop the game
Seems perfectly logical, actually. If I donated to a project because I wanted a spiritual successor to Wing Commander or Freespace and was told that getting enough donations would let them make the game within two or three years, but then they decided they also wanted the game to be an FPS, an MMO, an open-world game, and a battle royale game, and that I'd need a super-high-end computer to even play it? I'd be pissed. Exponentially growing in scale isn't necessarily a good thing.

I just wanted Freelancer 2

>3030 Deathwar
That sounds like the title of a fake game some kid in a movie talks about playing.

Tangentially related, but I just bought this for five bucks
Am I in for a good space combat game?

Attached: MV5BMzMxZDg1M2YtODE2OC00MmRlLTgzOTQtMGU5OThkZjUwOWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg (640x907, 610K)

Fun fact: that game was developed back in the late 2000's by two university students in their free time.

You just wanted freelancer 2 and you will get nothing in its place. The game never gonna workout.

There's always Underspace

Attached: 1550369607549.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

>I never actually got round to playing Freespace, is the first one worth playing or should I jump straight in to 2?
FS1 is definitely worth playing, but the best way to play it is to get FS2 and Freespace Open, play the mod that ports FS1 into Freespace Open, then play FS2.

>Do I need a stick or can I play it with KB+M?
I'd recommend a stick, but KB+M will also work.

Nah
I have no faith in the indie scene
Good for user giving it a try though

Not him, but the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is the best budget stick. Unfortunately, it's a crapshoot whether or not the damn thing will work for more than a few months.

Attached: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.jpg (459x500, 27K)

I didn't forget it. I just don't like it.

I don't either but it's by the guys that made Yea Forumslancer, which was the best.

>Imagine wanting something so bad that you'd willingly crowdfund it AND THEN get upset when the game has exponentially grown in scale because they have $200 million to develop the game instead of $2 million to develop the game

They should have delivered on what they promised then set about making all other other bullshit.

Almost 7 years later I don't have what was promised to be delivered 3 years ago.

The cheap look kills it

I never cared about graphics in space games. Star Citizen's obsession with fidelity is what killed it, so I'll take an indie look if it's Freelancer 2.

It's the art direction not graphics. I just wish someone would lend him a hand and made some actually good looking stuff for him

I think they’ve been gradually adding better models bit by bit. At least from what I’ve seen in Yea Forums dev threads.

It looks pretty much like Freelancer to me.

>nobody remembers starlancer

I'd love to help him out, but it's a fuck ton of work for what would end up being little to no pay.

any good place to download? Can't seem to find a decent magnet

How much better does a flight stick really make these games? I'll get one if I have to but I hate having tons of excess accessories for shit lying around my apartment. It's not a big place and clutter bothers me.

How is X4? Does it run better now?

Attached: scr00000.png (1536x801, 1.13M)

I can understand this. Every section of blue planet has major flaws, and the writing isn't that great. Shadow Genesis, JaD, WoD, Exile all were a lot better to me.

Shadow Genesis still pisses me off by being sniper simulator thanks to its zoom feature, the enemy ships with tiny fucking beam turrets, and every mission being KNOCK OUT THE BEAM TURRETS past a certain point when your missiles can't lock for shit onto them.

Exile is fantastic though.

I've been trying it recently. It seems to work well enough. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't allow me to make manual tweaks to the mods I installed with it, like moving HUD gauges around and using the Diaspora gunsight instead of the lead indicator, but that doesn't seem to be the case. One problem I've had with it is that sometimes it just doesn't work. I'll click on the "play game" button and the game won't launch. If that happens, you need to delete or rename the file "fs2_open.ini" in the AppData/Roaming/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen folder. No, I don't know why they decided to bury that stuff so deep.

Mass Effect has quite a few parallels with Freespace.

In Freespace, the human Alliance has to work together with an alien race they were once at war with (the Vasudans) to defeat a new alien race with black ships that fire red beam weapons (the Shivans), who seem interested only in killing everyone and seem to have a close connection to the universe's FTL system (subspace). When all seems lost, they manage to defeat this new race by using information left behind by a long-dead race (the Ancients) who the new enemy race destroyed thousands of years ago. This ancient race controlled a galaxy-spanning empire that was warlike and brutal, conquering by force wherever they went. Their knowledge of the FTL system was also more advanced than that of the humans and their current alien allies, to the point that they were able to construct their own artificial jump gate (the Knossos).

Replace Vasudans with turians, Shivans with Reapers, subspace with mass relays, Ancients with Protheans, and the Knossos with the Conduit, and you've got Mass Effect.

>2x2 gun banks
lol

Abandonware's got a download link I think. Same with Freelancer and the whole Digital Anvil library.

The youtube video pasta had from like a year ago isn't what the game looks like. He posted a thing just a month ago, it looks fine to me and had real models and all.

It has a weird pseudo-multiplayer thing.

JAD/WOD were great, Derelict... I very much enjoyed playing it, but at the end I found that the plots explanation was... iffy. There's this huge subplot brought up that just gets promptly dropped and you go fight the final boss instead. None of it is ever resolved, and its one of the main mysteries of the campaign.

Because it wasn't very good. It's about 90% escort missions, with none of the situational awareness or targeting functions that make escort missions more tolerable in Freespace.

No it was torpedo defense missions, and they were a nightmare.

It's often fairly overrated. So many questionable design decisions, and partway through you can tell they were so busy trying to see if they could, they never stopped to ask themselves if they should.

It's an icon of its era where it introduced lots of cool gimmicky features and clever scripting, and characters and enemy AI... it just didn't do them well and overdid them. Trebuchet teleport strike memes, just sitting back being an artilleyr spotter, endless cutscenes (for AoA) with lots of stuff left unexplained (the crew going crazy) and the characters overall somehow being less interesting even with voice acting, enemies having an infinite range tag laser to use on you (wow so CLEVER but now I have to spend the entire mission sitting behind my friendly ship calling artillery because you can't dodge anti fighter beams).

Part 3 is unarguably the worst because the whole thing is just an endless train of meme gimmicks and shitty writing, whereas at least 1 and 2 had some fun dogfighting. Lots of very cool, technically impressive stuff that doubtless took a lot of effort to pull off, but it's not very enjoyable.

>I can understand this. Every section of blue planet has major flaws, and the writing isn't that great.
I liked Age of Aquarius, but War in Heaven left me cold. I seem to be the only person who didn't have a problem with "that one command briefing" in AoA and didn't care for how WiH was totally dedicated to shooting it all down. I also didn't particularly care for the parade of gimmick missions in WiH Act 3, all of which took me about a dozen tries each. And rarely have I despised a player character as much as I despise Laporte, who was just completely unlikable all the way through.

>Shadow Genesis still pisses me off by being sniper simulator thanks to its zoom feature, the enemy ships with tiny fucking beam turrets, and every mission being KNOCK OUT THE BEAM TURRETS past a certain point when your missiles can't lock for shit onto them.
I played that campaign fairly recently, and you're exactly right. I am so fucking sick of disarming beam turrets. That's modern Freespace mission design for you. "OH FUCK THE ENEMY SUPERSHIP JUST JUMPED INTO A PERFECT FIRING POSITION KILL ITS TURRETS IN TEN SECONDS OR IT'LL BLOW UP EVERYTHING IN ONE SHOT AND CAUSE INSTANT MISSION FAILURE." I could never get those fucking long-range missiles to hit anything either. I could be pointed straight at the turret and the missile would still miss or cause no damage. And if the enemy ship moves even the slightest bit while the missile's in flight, you're fucked, because apparently the missiles can't turn at all. The only thing I liked about Shadow Genesis were the ground missions, just because it was something new that I haven't seen in other campaigns.

that's because it's the best space game ever made and literally ended the space flight sim genre (because nothing could top it).

And that's a funny way to spell Erinyes.

i liked world war 2 in space, the ships were badass too

shivans are reapers done right, didnt notice how much bioware ``borrowed`` from freespace

>super high tech space fighters
>wear a dirt bike helmet
it's still cool though

>Wow, No Man's Sky looks amazing, I'm sure it'll finally scratch this itch!

Attached: 1519483754027.jpg (480x640, 12K)

>tfw have had mine since 2005 and abused the fuck out of it playing battlefield 2, 2142, and 3
>still works fine
not sure if they have the same build quality as they did back then but god damn

Attached: tuvan.jpg (800x600, 36K)

You got lucky. Even back around 2005, mine never lasted more than a year or two before one of the axes got all screwed up. But that was still better than the present, where the axes don't even have time to go bad because the buttons start failing long before then.

What makes this whole situation even more painful is that the actual design and ergonomics of the stick are excellent. It's extremely comfortable, and when it actually works, I love using it.

So, FS2Open requires you to have the original game for the all the content right? It's just an engine update?

I fucking told you people Freespace 1/2 were good.

FS2 yes
FS1 no

Are these a decent cheapie stick?
I have a decent setup at home (G940 although it's really not great for old space sims as you simply apply pressure to the stick, rather than moving it), and i'm away for work for a few months but the urge to get stuck into some Freespace and Mechwarrior with an oldschool stick is too great.

Attached: Thrustmaster Hotas.jpg (1024x768, 69K)

>freespace 2 thread on Yea Forums

today was a good day

House of the Dying Sun was one of my favourite games of the last few years. I just wish it was longer.

real niggas use keyboard and mouse

It's not bad actually for space fightan games.

These work great for pretty much everything. It's my stick and I love it.

It's a great budget stick, the best in my opinion, highly recommended if you can find one for a good price, but go for the newer blue model as it doesn't have the huge deadzone of the red X model.

Too bad he's not going to make another. Don't blame him though considering how braindead those testers were.

Attached: HotDS Ending II.png (1440x900, 35K)

Yeah models are replaced in waves for underspace. Fighters were first, now it’s larger ships like asteroid miners and fishing trawlers.

I would, but whilst i'm away for work i'm stuck with a laptop which means no numpad etc and shit like Mechwarrior without a numpad just isn't happening unless you have a joystick.

>Don't blame him though considering how braindead those testers were.
>that image
Damn...

is X4 any good?

Sweet as, I can get one for like $50 so i'll do that.

It's an extremely solid foundation.

As good as the others have been unmodded

Not really, no. Egosoft are just like Bethesda in this regard - they need modders to fix their games. The difference is that the X universe modding community is much, much smaller.

and that's a good thing!

Thinking of getting the game on steam.
What are the best mods?

If you plan on separating the stick and throttle, keep in mind that the cord between them is pretty short. The highest estimate I've heard is 24". Might be a problem if you want to keep them apart and have your keyboard between them.

>G940 although it's really not great for old space sims as you simply apply pressure to the stick, rather than moving it
That's something that bothered even real-world fighter pilots, why did they think it was a good idea for a gaming stick?

RIP in Peace the Space Sim Genre.

Loved these games, but they never did well.

Wing Commander 4 was my shit back in the day.

IKTFB

Hadn't actually considered separating them, but 24" would be enough to get to either side of my laptop and that'd actually be a sweet setup.

>why did they think it was a good idea for a gaming stick?
Fuck knows, and I wish i'd done more research prior to buying it as I had no idea anyone made a stick like that and the specs certainly don't make it clear, it's a great setup overall, but it really does feel fucking wrong for a lot of games, combined with the insanely strong force feedback you end up violently fighting against the motors and feel like you're going to break the thing, to it's credit almost 8 years later it's still works like new.

Wings of Dawn, because it features one of the better control schemes for MKB (you'll still need to make some adjustments). You can also play it without the game, its entirely free and standalone, and it overall avoids doing a lot of dumb, arbitrary bullshit that other mods do, and also has some very nice inbuilt features like auto shield equalization.

I'd try it on that first to get a feel for it, and if you enjoy it pick it up on GoG - the Knossos mod downloader can just interact with the installer download from that site, so you don't have to muck around with a steam directory for mods.

If you do get it, JaD, Exile, Blue Planet and Dimensional Eclipse are some of the best alongside Wings of Dawn, though WoD/JaD and DE are quite anime. Shadow Genesis can be good if you can put up with the bullshit.

what did we do to deserve this?

Attached: legion of feels.jpg (215x600, 19K)

>if i cut out a bunch of stuff from game x it's exactly the same as game y
You're retarded.

Have some reference.

Attached: Hotas.jpg (1920x1080, 75K)

Whilst it's depressing as fuck, i'm so happy that I got to grow up between 95-05 swimming in genuinely awesome and iconic vidya that was free of all of the modern bullshit we have today. I got to enjoy regular couch console sessions with mates, I got to enjoy actual consoles that were just plug and play, arcades, LANS with mates as well as fuck huge LANS with hundreds of people. I got to enjoy the birth of online gaming.
I miss when internet wasn't a tool developers and publishers would use to enforce DRM, or always online, or to nickle and dime you, but rather to allow you to simply play games with other people.
Remember when Starcraft had a "multiplayer spawn" so you could install it on multiple machines and play multiplayer legally?

It's all so bitter sweet.

>You can also play it without the game, its entirely free and standalone
That's something else that should be pointed out about FS2: It actually has a few different standalone mods. In addition to Wings of Dawn, there's also Diaspora, which is based on BSG, and Wing Commander Saga, which is obviously based on Wing Commander.

>If you do get it, JaD, Exile, Blue Planet and Dimensional Eclipse are some of the best alongside Wings of Dawn, though WoD/JaD and DE are quite anime.
JaD isn't all anime. The original three campaigns used the normal game. The anime-themed JaD is a midquel to the overall JaD story.

>Shadow Genesis can be good if you can put up with the bullshit.
There's a *lot* of bullshit, though. I honestly can't recommend it. As stated earlier, after a certain point every single mission is about trying to snipe beam cannon turrets from extreme range using missiles that can't maneuver for shit.

>missiles that can't maneuver for shit
And that may or may not actually do damage even if they hit the target.

Every time I remember this game exist and once I get into the game and downloaded all the mods and fixes and start playing the game, I realized the combat controls are fucking horrendously hard for me and my mouse, is their a way to fix this other than gitgud?

You could try using a joystick instead.

Mecha games with this rough 'n' ready "war is hell" yet technologically advanced-yet-not-advanced-enough-to-make-war-fun aesthetic?

Ignore your mouse and use the numpad instead.

I don't have one since I'm not really into flight sims but I like sci-fi shit.
Guess I'll try that.

does this play well with a controller, I have no joystick

I'd personally choose a keyboard/mouse over a controller, but a controller works fine if that's your jam, but you'll still have to use the keyboard for some stuff as a controller simply doesn't have enough buttons to map everything to.

i was upset that i had my hand on my drink at that time instead of the joystick. but it was awesome the reload just seeing that cunt up close

goddamn im getting old, and why the fuck out of all the remakes no one has tried a g.nome one?

btw no terminal velocity? that was like 5 floppy disks worth of awesome. rev up those sb16 cards
youtube.com/watch?v=mfa_7jWEF-w&list=PL0D468E80A441608C&index=1

Attached: screen1024x1024[1].jpg (1024x768, 73K)

>btw no terminal velocity?
Bit of an oversight on my behalf given I have a boxed copy of Terminal Velocity mere feet away, it was by no means a conclusive list though.

Attached: Terminal-Velocity.jpg (1000x1333, 272K)

Awwww shit nigger.

Late 90's pre-rendered is the most underrated of all aesthetics.

glorious

Attached: mqdefault[1].jpg (320x180, 13K)

>Dat Mechwarrior 3 box

Nothing. You did nothing and that's exactly why it all happened.

granfalloon is a pretty gay boss dude

thats because erinyes was some sort of fucking magic fighter sized frigate. That thing had more firepower than the smaller capital ships

mega kek on that comic

Just for you.

Box has an awesome shiny/metallic finish that changes colour with the angle of the light, it's fucking rad.

Attached: Mech3.jpg (3000x1333, 1.04M)

The mods are great too, but the mission design is just so fucking spot-on.

It's always the cult-like dedication with you fags. You can't just say 'yeah it's bullshit but I've enjoyed what's there now' or something, you need to go the extra step and explain how it's all totally going to be there and amazing and work out Soon(TM) and keep making excuses for how there's still core features from the original pitch missing while they're on round two of trying to implement an FPS module and other nonsense.

You can say you're having fun with it without defending the bullshit, faggot.

Best thread I've been this week. Keep up the good work based boomers

Attached: roll.gif (270x270, 930K)

The nostalgia is real.

Galatea

Attached: galatea.jpg (800x600, 128K)

Poking a turd with sticks is fun with friends. Doesn't make it a good game. Or even a game at all.

Rebel Galaxy is fun, though really different then what you might expect. It's a 2D Freelancer. But it work surprisingly well.

youtube.com/watch?v=gFxjbu2SYjI

Attached: rg.jpg (1920x1080, 372K)

I'm waiting for Outlaw.
The original game feels too much like diablo in space.

>Don't blame him though considering how braindead those testers were.
explain

eh, i really want to love it but when i tried it recently it seemed.. empty.
the main problem was probably playing it on kb +mouse, but all the mission i did (i think i played until a mission in a pink fog after going through a wormhole?) was
>travel for 4 minutes
>spin like an idiot for 30sec per enemy as tehy keep circling around your vision
>after 5 enemy the mission is won or go travle to point b for 4 more minutes, then see above
>bonus: don't let this thing die/get hurt, over which you have little to no control (the main reason i stopped playing)

also, even playing the graphycally updated version, everything looked like cubes stuck together. i know its old, its space, and i love me some pillar of autum or those ships from babylon 5, but cmon.

Attached: 1486677523395.jpg (1920x1200, 1.01M)

good taste, user

Attached: 1537749752717.jpg (900x1355, 113K)

I really like how much more varied and 'dynamic' the missions were compared to the previous game.

where can i get freespace 1?

>tfw no modern space game where I can just be a pilot fighting for survival on the front lines of interstellar warfare with tight controls and a fuckload of customization and weapons to use

I remember playing the first episode ages ago and thinking it was the greatest game ever. Didn't play the second one because I thought the hangar menu was too bling bling.

And Bosch with the Illusive Man for thinking their future lies with the Shivans/Reapers

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8b5ed7f0811f1d9ba18283848223911e35227128&dn=Freespace+1+%26+2+-+Gog.com+Versions&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

The big downside of this game is just how grindy it gets if you wanna progress and get better stuff.

>zoomer
Nah... I'm making a big chart of games and going through a lot of stuff I used to really like to see if it still holds up or not. Been rediscovering a lot of great games. I really doubt nuchan will ever play anything that isn't actively shilled to them.

Hopefully this can be changed with a bit of effort someday but probably not lol

Attached: 1448911196833.jpg (558x750, 68K)

DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS, PILOT!

Nexus The Jupiter Incident was silently remastered in the latest GOG version with full widescreen support and some more stuff. It went from a 1,8GB installer to 3,2GB.

The strange thing is you can see videos from 2010 with the game running on 1080p resolution so it's kinda pointless. It's just a regedit tweak as seen on pic related using the older version.

Attached: pmeMQQ7.jpg (1360x768, 459K)

>Haven't played Thief Gold since release
>Play it again to see if it still holds up
>It's even better than I remember it
Alzheimer's can't come soon enough so I can rediscover so much shit again for the first time.

>circling like a dog chasing its tail
You're new to dogfighting games aren't you?

kinda, the other one i played was rouge squadron

is that the default modus operand, or am i doing it wrong?

Attached: 1506998032178.jpg (1920x1080, 241K)

straight circling is one of the clear indicator of new players since it is just plain inefficient and leaves you vulnerable.

You need to learn how to use proper maneuvering like rolling and throttle control. I guess a good starting point is learning about the various techniques that pilots uses and then learn to work some of them into your tactics.

A lot of this won't translate directly due to the lack of gravity and your craft being capable of all sorts of amazing shit like flying/drifting backwards etc, but it's a great jumping off point to get you to start thinking about what's actually happening in a dog fight and WW2 fighter sims as as whole are fucking excellent teachers of the fundamentals.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

I enjoy it, think it is relaxing. Other user is right and mechanics/world are amazing but
If looking for any story/missions type content then you are fucked. It is what you make of it. I just like exploring the black and putting my name on shit. Some good action if you are good at combat and pirate but shit is so huge probably see like 95% NPC's with the occasional Real person

How's the Steam version?

Updated as well, and despite what user said it was more than just a quick regedit, there were UI and font adjustments, scaling options, support for resolutions that it never supported before etc

Holy shit. Wished someone made more stuff with the Homeworld franchise

I have both so I'll test it now

I kinda felt like this too. Maybe it got slightly better by the time the aliens came but I've seen that already on Homeworld Cataclysm.

I remember Starlancer. I fucking love Starlancer.

Damn straight it is. Best fucking game ever made.

It seems pretty similar.

For 1080p 1x scaling seems to be better. For higher resolutions, 1.4x will be better.

Attached: nexus_DX9_2019_02_22_15_55_46_194.jpg (1920x1080, 1.21M)

Interplay were desperate for profits and pushed the release cycle up by ~6 months, and then didn't market it at all. Like literally at all, they didn't do a single thing to notify people that the game was a thing and was out.

And yes, this does mean the "easily the best space sim of all time" we got was actually a rushed, cut down version.

>If you want Star Citizen as it was pitched at it's 2 million dollar goal, go play Elite Dangerous. It fucking sucks.
No, they're completely fucking different, you utter retard. Your ignorance towards the genre as a whole doesn't change that. In fact, the modern thing Star Citizen has become is CLOSER to Elite Dangerous than the original pitch was, especially all the things that made ED suck ass. "Realistic scale" resulting in a bland, empty and overly instanced world. No saving/loading/basic singleplayer shit so you can't skip the mutiplayer grind. Etc.

Are there any other games that capture the feeling of being a single man on the frontlines of a massive battle so well?

Maybe some massive fights in X3, but nothing else really compares.

No, that's part of what makes it so unique.
They way it doesn't put you in the heroes shoes, just leaves you in the dark and moves you on.

It's like Elite Dangerous for me. The mechanics are pretty solid but there nothing much to do.