Have millenials ruined the open world genre?

Have millenials ruined the open world genre?

Attached: 20190221193513_1.jpg (2560x1440, 1.41M)

There has never been a good open world game and there never will be. If millennials are the ones that destroy the genre, then they are the saviors of gaming.

fpbp.

>I don't play video games but I'm an expert on this subject

I have zero doubt you're between 23 and 38 OP

Open world sucks dick its the same shit everytime with repeatitive quests slapped all over the boring bland map

open world adds zero positive elements to games, and adds numerous negative elements

MUH IMMERSHUN!!!!!!

Casuals did, like everything else.

stalker and dwarf fortress are the only games that ever did open world correctly.

Witcher 3 and STALKER would like a word with you.

>The Witcher 3
Good open world

Imagine being a literal 12 year old who gets triggered by a color

>Witcher 3
Trash
>STALKER
We talking about the first one? (The good one) Not an open world game. It has abstracted travel time between its zones.

>only

Witcher 2 hubs were so much

Skyrim was alright

>it's not an open world game because there's loading screens
I guess Vice City isn't an open world game either then?

name ten open world games with actual world simulation instead of padding it out with collectibles and random spawns.

>doesn't backup his argument

Attached: tumblr_mxe9a0VqvT1rudptgo2_540.png (526x349, 74K)

>It has abstracted travel time between its zones.
So does Witcher 3. Sorry buddy but it's open world. CoP even more so.

I didn't say "loading screens". I said "abstracted travel time between its zones". Learn to read.

>name X amount because I know I'm right and you're wrong, and when you name X I will tear apart your list to prove that I am right and that you are wrong

In that case, I guess The Witcher 3 is not open world either. But The Witcher 3 certainly is a trash game for the same reason that actual open world games are. Open world games all inevitably have very low content density. They severely water down the good shit they have by sprinkling it over a gigantic map that is also filled with emptyness, worthless collectibles and very repetitive quests and activities which might as well have been procedurally generated (and which obviously don't count as real content, since they're boring as shit). This registers to casuals and/or brainlets like a bigger better world with more immersion, but what it actually is is shit padding. That's why open world games suck.
And no, this doesn't apply exclusively to Ubisoft open world games. Ubisoft is the easy scapegoat. The truth is that even the supposedly "good" open world games are shit for the exact same reasons I just stated above. That includes shit like Morrowind, New Vegas, The Witcher 3 (if you want to count it), Breath of the Wild, etc. It's all the same shit.
For some reason, there are people that love walking or riding horses or driving through empty roads while looking at the scenery and they consider that good gameplay. I don't.

This is the lowest IQ post I've ever seen. New Vegas and Witcher 3 have loads of amazing content besides wandering in their maps. It's like you deliberately played the game in a way you don't like and now claim the game is shit.

10 years ago everyone was complaining how drab big budget games looked, now any game with a hint of vibrancy gets shit on. Those liberals really broke you faggots' brains.

>New Vegas and Witcher 3 have loads of amazing content besides wandering in their maps
Their maps aren't dense enough with content worth exploring for my satisfaction. There's too much empty space.

Attached: 435B900D00000578-0-image-m-78_1503069888998.jpg (634x652, 166K)

>when you name X I will tear apart your list to prove that I am right and that you are wrong
no, i just want you to list some open world games with good world simulation instead of collectibles.

You just said you don't like exploring in those games though. Really how hard is it to go to the games biggest hub areas and pick up a few quests and do those? The whole point of the open world, and why it's selling so much, is precisely because autists can go wandering in the empty maps and enjoy themselves while people who want actual content can just hang out at the cities and have fun that way.

>You just said you don't like exploring in those games though
Yeah, precisely because, like I said, there's too much fucking empty space. A fun RPG is fun to explore all the way through, combing the maps for fun unique content, and it never gets boring. Open worlds fail at this, and that's why they suck.

Millenials are doomed. Boomers think they're lazy kids who don't put in any effort, and zoomers think they're SJW losers who bitch about everything.

He said good. Stalker also isn't open world.

Stalker is one of the worst games ever made and completely unplayable without fan made patches and mods.
>BUT MUH COMFY SLAV LIFE XDDDD

part of the fun of open world exploration is that you need to work to get to the fun bits. Otherwise you're just walking around a themepark.

>The game is supposed to bore you, that's part of the challenge
Imagine being this cucked

>ruined the open world genre
how do you ruin shit?

>What is Minecraft

So you're going to ignore most of what I said to go along with your shitty viewpoint. Don't act like hub-world RPGs don't have boring parts like backtracking through all the levels and shit.

>There has never been a good open world game
BOTW

I want to kill you for posting this thread

Every single open world game has too much empty space
Not every hub world game has too much backtracking
Deus Ex 1 doesn't, for example

it's not boring though, it's fun to explore and take in the environment in a good open world game. Whether or not the content is too dense is more a matter of personal taste.

>Aurora Borealis
>in Montana

As I said, there's this weird subset of people that like walking around empty fields, but that shit bores the fuck out of me. We will never have compatible tastes. I hope developers start catering to you but I bitterly accept that the open world trash meme is here to stay.

That's bullshit and you know it.

This game is nice enough. I'm a little upset that the core Takedown/Stealth shit hasn't changed much, and I really wish they'd add actual survival elements. Regardless shit was 40$ and I get to work with based Joseph Seed.

Aurora Borealis?
At this time of year?
In this part of the country?
Localized entirely within Montana?

... can I see it?

I live in Connecticut and we've had them here before.

>Deus Ex 1 has too much backtracking
You have to be shitting me.

Ultimately this is an easy 3/5. Fun, but bland. Shooting niggers is nice too.

It may bore you but that doesn't mean most people agree.

No, the backtracking parts don't bother me. But it's hypocritical of you to say open world games are all shit because of some empty space and ignore the fact that backtracking is essentially the same shit.

I'm not looking for a consensus.

This, more attention to detail in areas that shouldn't have any reason to be interesting. Witcher 3 every where is uninteresting except the named areas.

My point is that Deus Ex 1 has a million times less backtracking than open world games have empty spaces.

but you called it a weird subset of people who disagree with you, curious.

Open world games are fucking dog shit. The only good ones are the ones that seriously limit the scope of the 'world' e.g. Dead Rising.

who cares about world simulation? new Vegas, Burnout paradise, Yakuza 0, gta4, Saints Row 2 are among the best games ever made and they're open world. you just sound like a boring cunt

What was the open world genre like before melinnials? Link to the Past? I'm a mellinial (1990-??) and I feel like open world became a thing during my lifetime.

I do wonder how many people actually see all the empty space open world games have as a net positive. How many people get mad at a game if they see a mountain they can't climb.

If the majority of video game players really are the kind of faggots that seethe if a game is too dense and not stretched out enough, then that's real depressing. But it wouldn't be that shocking, since I see retards going "This game was only 30 hours long, wish they padded it out more so it'd be worth 60 bucks". Quantity is quality to these plebs.

waste not want not. Is there a shit ton of nothing over here? Then maybe it shouldn't exist. This is why games based in towns or cities work better. Should a player be able to get over here? No? Put a large building there as a wall.

A Link to the Past is not open world. We're starting to get into the retarded "Dark Souls is open world" territory.

>dark souls isn't open world

This is why I love open world fags. This thread is getting hilarious

Attached: 1536755622749.jpg (540x568, 85K)

That's why I fucking asked dude. Thank you for offering nothing but your poor reading comprehension

>i wish post apocaliptic games were more colorful!

Sorry, man. I'm a bit passionate about the subject.

If you want an old ass open world game, look no further than Elder Scrolls Arena.

>There has never been a good open world game and there never will be.

wrong

Attached: really.jpg (200x283, 9K)

what the fuck did you try to say
yea I'm gonna bulletpoint my arguments on Yea Forums, the place of sensible discussions
meanwhile OP is
>Have millenials ruined the open world genre?
fuck off

I'm making fun of the faggots that say that open world adds "immersion".

Alright, I will. Gonna see how things were before we ruined them

no it's fine, stop playing shit.

Attached: kingdomCome1.jpg (2560x1440, 1.2M)

why would he? he's your regular 4chin contrarian
he saw people here say openworld bad, so he says it too

>t. never actually played it
vanilla stalker is perfectly playable you retard, I've passed it 3 times, soc/cop/cs all, mods just add endless replayability

Oh, that guy is full of shit, open world games have always been shit. If anything, Arena is even worse than they are now. That game is literally infinite.

pic related lol

ah right my bad

Millennials ruined everything.

*sips energy drink*

>not liking kcd

ok your taste is just bad then

now boomers, there was a generation

Now I'm only more intrigued. Gonna try it out and decide for myself. I'm cool with open world, burnout paradise and just cause 2 were a couple of my top games playtime wise in their time. Hate if you must

This is how stupid open world is.

Define it. I'll wait.

irony lmao

There's a big map with no loading

It's actually kind of sad how New Dawn shows how open world pales in comparison to the quality of open environment levels as the expedition locations are miles more interesting than the main map

Attached: 4982309473242.jpg (273x431, 11K)

N-NO STOP! WE'RE CALLED BOOMERS NOT MILLENNIALS! *sips virally marketed beverage*

Attached: yoomerrage.png (1154x1062, 819K)

a game with an open world as opposed to a linear level design

lmao you're a 12 year old with shit taste

go back to league of legends

100% agree.

lol enjoy your janky game because the dev owned the libtards epic style!

no it's not because of the devs it's because the game is immersive and fun and the world is good

stop shitposting

Unrestricted freedom to explore is a only way to achieve true greatness. Forced Story-driven drivel need not to apply.

A non-linear game with an enormous map and no (or barely any) abstracted travel time.
Examples: Elder Scrolls, Fallout from 3 onwards, Breath of the Wild, The Witcher 3

yeah all that jank and shitty combat sure is fun and immersive!

They certainly have ruined the color palette with their excessive pink, blue and yellow shit smeared all over the place. It's like the nukes were either targeted onto paint factories across the USA or they were actually giant ballistic cranyons.

Attached: 1550635763561.jpg (790x767, 80K)

The open world genre was born from the growing millennial market in the first place. It's everything millenials want. Boomer never got into video games. And the ones who did, stopped playing after the arcade era. Zoomer are only into casual multiplayer games as platforms to socialize.

Open world is a millennial genre, and it will die a millennial genre.

Except part of their existence is due to the decreased hardware restrictions making them steadily more feasible, which happened alongside millennials growing up. I don't think games will stop getting bigger unless computers stop getting stronger.

Yakuza 0 is not open world. You don't even know what the genre is, stop posting.

Hopefully, games start getting smaller and denser as people slowly realize that quantity isn't quality. I have faith that people will wake up on the open world meme as more lame shit like Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky comes out.

lol

He's right, brainlet.

can't ruin a genre that was never good in the first place.

There'll probably always be demand for both, and I think both can be done well personally

Fuck off, call of pripyat was good

more like console tards

>no actually its open world
>it has tightly designed cells with loadscreens I can use to stretch my point

Retards

>game has open world
>b-but it's not open world!

On a technical level the best, atmospheric as well. Tight design and linear, planned progression with a very strong focused story/direction often sending you indoors for deliberately hand tweaked encounters that contributed to sequels existing not so much.

You don't know what open world means. I bet you think Dark Souls is open world.

>game has tightly designed cells connected by loadscreens
>Gothic 2 is """open world"""
>meanwhile dogshit Gothic 3 truly is open world, unlike Yakuza

idk about dark souls i only play good games

The Earth's magnetosphere isn't a fixed thing, it waxes and wanes. Not unheard of for more northen states to see it once in a while

Every Bethesdrone does just that, they reeeee if there is a building they can't enter or a fork they can't pick up and throw on the floor. Hell fucking Todd Howard even used "see that mountain? You can climb it" when hyping up Skyrim.

Attached: 1541014975214.gif (250x231, 746K)

>JOESEPH! THE NUKES ARE DROPPING!!
>No, brother, that's just the Northern Lights

Just don't buy it, you don't have to buy every game from a franchise you like.

But imagine if the game was good and he could have bought it

I used to be excited by the notion of open world when I was in a worse state of mind and looking for games to get lost in myself. All I see now is pretty dead space that devours framerate between places of interest with an occasional no threat encounter along the way or worse yet in MGSV nothing to encounter out there for the most part and places of interest with so much wiggle room for stealth it pales in challenge and adrenaline from near encounters previous games had.

open world games have always been flawed by how unfocused they are
yes, inside an open world game can be a solid single player campaign
the problem is the pacing of that campaign is totally fucked by the map itself and everything else in it
this creates a race against time where if you haven't finished the campaign before you've grown completely bored by the gameplay, sorry game, you're not getting finished
now can this happen in linear games? of course
but when it happens in linear games, it's because the game is bad in general
in open world games, the gameplay could be initially enjoyable but too much time was spent messing around

Fucking EXACTLY

Alttp and Pokemon are open world, but they're not sandboxes. Morrowind is open world, but it's not a sandbox. Gta 3 was really the basis for open world sandboxes.

I don't think the maps of Link to the Past and Pokemon are big enough to be considered open worlds.

When the fuck did Yea Forums start hating Witcher 3? I can understand not enjoying it, but trash game? it is most certainly not, it's extremely well made at every fundamental level.

I feel like people who say stuff like this have never actually played a truly shit game except for maybe Sonic 06, for the memes

I hate The Witcher 3. I knew it was gonna fall for all of the same errors Bethesda shit falls for when trying to go for the same open world genre.

The Witcher 2's hubs were perfect and they ruined the series by making a game that is filled with empty spaces. Add in bandit camps and collectibles and it's all good, right? No.

I finished The Witcher 1 and 2. I didn't finish The Witcher 3. And I have no doubt Cyberpunk 2077 is also gonna be boring within hours.

>it's extremely well made at every fundamental level.
no it isn't most of the loot is trash and the combat is tedious with a poor control scheme. Not to mention the superfluous dialogue mechanics and restrictive world design with POI spam

I always thought Witcher 3 was overrated shit. The story goes to complete ass as soon as Geralt reaches Novigrod and the combat is terrible.

I don't think is a bad game but is not a good good open world game it does the same shit that every other open world garbage

Stalkers not open world. Its small sandboxes connected with loading screens.

(you)

>stalker
literally not an open world game.