Finally got to play Majora's Mask and it's honestly overrated as fuck...

Finally got to play Majora's Mask and it's honestly overrated as fuck. The overworld feels crammed and unnatural and each of the 4 areas feels totally disconnected from each other. The only time I felt like the world was connected was when the Ikana River connected to the Swamp area. Even then it felt like an afterthought because it's really never used properly. This is almost as bad as skyward sword where none of the hub areas were connected. I remember getting to the gerudo pirate location and I honestly expected it to be connected to a secret area in Snowhead. Same with the beaver's waterfall area and the ranch but nothing happened.

Ocarina of Time on the other hand had a lot of interconnected areas that made the world feel more alive. From a gameplay and world design perspective nothing in Majora's Mask felt as good as going from Goron City to the Lost Woods for the first time and realizing that these areas are all connected. Ocarina of Time is by far a superior game and Majora's Mask feels amateurish in comparison.

Attached: il_570xN.1203852183_nnsy.jpg (570x428, 42K)

Your life is overrated as fuck. Try fentanyl.

>Majora's Mask fanboy acting retarded after getting BTFO
typical

is the lack of connection between the different areas the only thing you care about in games or do you wanna bring up any other points why you don't like majora's mask

that's the point. each area is watched over by a separate giant and ran into their own problems because of majora

lack of good and coherent world design is a pretty big factor in determining whether a game is good or not for anyone that isn't a pleb

And yet you're praising Ocarina of Time for having random portals that teleport you around the world, which don't make any geographical sense, claiming it's "interconnected" and "cohesive." The only one that makes sense in an organic way is the River from Gerudo Valley leading to Lake Hylia, just like the river in Ikana leading to the swamp.

it is a pretty big factor, but connectivity just doesn't seem that important to me at least. I think the world design makes a lot of sense for the main gimmick the game has. It wouldn't make sense if you had to move through a couple areas to get somewhere. That would become boring really fast since you have to go to the area multiple times to finish it. There's also no reason to combine two areas, why would you want to go from swamp to ikana when you haven't finished the game?

The only area that's really out of place is the ice one, but that's actually specifically changed by Majora, and you can actually get rid of the ice for the lower areas unlike in OoT.

Each one of the areas has more unique gameplay challenges than the ones in OoT too.

>every area has to be connect
Open world loving faggots need to kill themselves, especially you fucking retard OP

It makes sense given the fact that it's a game from 1998.

>big factor
It's one thing, and it's not even that important in a practical sense. How about dungeon design, gameplay variety, item variety, side quests, boss design?

how does it not make sense retard? just look at the map

Attached: OoT_Overworld.jpg (637x463, 54K)

it's the most important one if you actually care about world design in a game. sadly most plebs like you don't care about stuff like that and focus on superficial shit

Sure buddy, make your excuses. How about this: Ocarina's "connected areas" were so shitty and poorly implemented that they dropped the concept when they made the improved sequel, and have never bothered to do it since?

Attached: oWUuoMf.gif (410x324, 97K)

>>it's the most important one if you actually care about world design in a game
In a practical sense, no; you might go "oh neat I didn't know you could go from this area to that area through this route!" but in the end it's just getting from one area to another, it's just aesthetics, and isn't among the most important elements in a game.

depends on the game and coming from OoT, MM is a total downgrade. Why the fuck do you think so many people like the first part of dark souls so much and hate the second half of the game? i'll give you the reason: because the entire first half of the game is interconnected

There's a reason why OoT is more praised than any of those other Zelda games. Twilight Princess in particular tried to emulate OoT yet it failed miserably because the world felt so by the numbers

Explain how anything other than Orange works if it makes so much sense.

Attached: magical teleporting.png (637x463, 694K)

I'm providing facts not excuses, kid. Learn the difference.

There's plenty of reasons why Ocarina of Time is praised, and connections between areas isn't one of them.

You thinking that magical teleporting between areas is well thought out connectivity isn't a fact, it's your shitty opinion.

In Majora's Mask's case, yes, it's excellent design. Since the game is on a timer, getting to places quickly is vital. Using Ocarina's connectivity system would be a nightmare.

subterranean river connecting lake hylia to zora's domain. there's a reason why there are a couple of zora's in lake hylia. it's subtle but it works. lost woods area connecting goron city also makes sense even from a lore point of view since darunia mentions going to the forest to hear the music. it's fantastic and effective world design specially considering the fact that this game is over 20 years old. Majora's Mask pales in comparison compared to this type of worldbuilding.

Woah woah hey buddy, hold the FUCK up. Did you just criticize a Nintendo game? On v? I don't think you realize the severity of how badly that's frowned on here. I'm amazed you haven't been banned yet personally, we're a pretty big pro-Nintendo community here, any other discussion is borderline taboo.

>darunia mentions going to the forest to hear the music
Darunia doesn't need a secret passage that goes under Kakariko Village and the path to Zora's Domain whenever he wants to visit the Lost Woods.

Fuck off, persecution complex.

>The overworld feels crammed and unnatural and each of the 4 areas feels totally disconnected from each other.

Yes, people have been saying this stuff for years, but the MM-fags just cover their ears and act like anyone who criticizes the game is a retard and that they are super intelligent for preferring it over OoT.

OoT's world felt like a world.

all zeldas are overrated as fuck, you should've known this by now

Are you retarded or just pretending? Those "magical portals" were obviously done for practical reasons specially considering that they are used for the biggoron sword quest. they are called shortcuts for a reason

You've played them all?

So you agree. Ocarina's warp portals only existed so young link could avoid traveling through the boring, empty overworld, whereas Majora gave you Ocarina teleportation early, and better implemented, so it didn't need magic portals.

MM feels like a world with different regions. I'm not sure what you expected? A giant empty field between locations?

Case in point. You dicksuck Nintendo here or you fuck off and die. That's just how things work here.

>I remember getting to the gerudo pirate location and I honestly expected it to be connected to a secret area in Snowhead. Same with the beaver's waterfall area and the ranch but nothing happened.
Why on earth would you hold an expectation like that? Did you recently finish playing Dark Souls for the first time and you can't get off the "interconnected world" train because you're too stupid to realise that it's not the be-all-end-all of video game world design?

>You dicksuck Nintendo
Imagine being this illiterate.

There are obvious technological constraints but the intention is there.

I accept valid criticism

Not

WHY IS THE GAME WORLD NOT BIG... UNGA. SHOULD HAVE FIELDZ

I only havent played the handheld ones aside from minish cap and link's awakening

Based as fuck. Don't expect the average braindead zelda fanboy that pollutes Yea Forums and believes twilight princess has good dungeons to agree with you OP

I expected something even more elegant than what OoT did before specially considering this game is reusing assets so everything was already there. Shame there was no elegance in MM's world design.

How much of a darks souls 1 fan are you OP? You sound like you love your youtube video essays on "artistic game design"

>but the intention is there.
No it isn't.

so your only criticism is that the overworld felt unnatural? I guess that's kinda true with how they set it up but damn that seriously ruined the game for you?

I love it because of the characters, the story that brings the feels, and the dungeon design.

>Actual gameplay is superficial
>But not being able to get to Snowhead from the Pirate Hideout is really super important, guys.
You're a weirdo, dude.

There's little to no way they could do more than OoT. It's limited by the technology of its time.

The world is divided into distinct regions with interesting content in each area. That's really all they could do with a year development time. They managed to make a fantastic, bizarre world that does indeed feel crammed but still manages to have large open areas and cities.

There's not much more that can be done on N64.

I'm pretty sure this is actually autistic. I didn't think about this aspect one time while playing and knew each area was it's own distinct dungeon type playing field.

I have no clue who would even stop to think "I can't get to Snowhead from a mountain hideout with gerudos in it.... this game is shit"

The game started off as a salvage operation from an aborted expansion to Ocarina. They had a single year of development time as opposed to Ocarina's 4 years, of which the reused assest proved a godsend otherwise they'd never get it out on time. And yet everything wasn't there, they still created plenty of unique assets for the game.

It doesn't feel crammed. You want it to be empty?

kek it's so nice seeing fedora's mask fags literally SEETHING

Attached: 1392266161583.jpg (1046x1040, 369K)

autism

>I accept valid criticism
>Unless I don't like it

MM Overworld is great because its not needlessly big and doesn't waste your time, its pragmatic. Its not enticing you to explore on a grand adventure, you don't got time for that.

I don't like MM cock suckers, but some of the complaints feel like they come from people who didn't get it or just didn't enjoy that style of gameplay. Its fine, this game is weird and won't have the same universal appeal Zelda games have since it changes things so much.

Is this fucking bizarro land?

In what reality is Ocarina of Times overworld bigger or even better in any way?

Attached: termina__large.jpg (840x825, 410K)

Considering many Majora's Mask fanboys think their game is the most "artistic" Zelda game I think you're being hypocritical

Majora's Mask is a great game.
Ocarina of Time is also a great game.

Compared to this midget land with a literal fucking giant empty field in the center

Attached: overworld2.jpg (956x756, 192K)

gameplay in majora's mask is the same as oot

>Streamlined hub bad
>hub full of empty space good
God I hate Zeldafags

OP isn't even talking about which game has a bigger world you retarded fedora's mask faggot.

Uh no. Limited time, new dungeons, new bosses, new items, alternate forms

Do you even have proper reading comprehension skills?

Lmfao. What a fucking retard OP is.

They packed it full of content and quests and each region feels totally unique and distinct, and they all include massive main dungeons AND mini dungeons and OP seriously is complaining because areas aren't connected? What the holy fuck.

Ultimate unga bunga thread.

Attached: 1550064526325.gif (607x609, 514K)

Play Dark Souls 1 if you want to play in a world that feels like it's all connected while bringing a variety of different areas and challenges at the same time.

Of course it is. It is not my fault that you're being deluded

>
Ocarina of Time on the other hand had a lot of interconnected areas that made the world feel more alive. From a gameplay and world design perspective nothing in Majora's Mask felt as good as going from Goron City to the Lost Woods for the first time and realizing that these areas are all connected. Ocarina of Time is by far a superior game and Majora's Mask feels amateurish in comparison.

Newsflash dipshit

The areas are mostly NOT connected in MM. They make a point that each area is totally separated.

that's what I like about it OP. it has this disjointed, surrealist atmosphere

i've never been able to choose between MM and OoT, but after having replayed both recently I think MM is the better game.

fedora's mask cucks are autistic by default

Attached: 7577357.jpg (1904x919, 415K)

MM is the better game overall, definitely. It has superior story telling, atmosphere, and better dungeons. OP only cares about an open world with connected areas I guess

>fedora's mask

Yea Forums X. Filter "fedora's mask" posts. Thank you.

And this thread just got emptier

Already did. Ocarina of Time did a good job with its world design despite being a N64 game. It was truly ahead of its time. Can't say the same about Majora's Mask.

All you want to do is complain and need to learn to cope with the fact Majoras Mask is the better game

Oot fanboys, more than fans of any other game are completely incapable of handling any criticism of their precious childhood game. Even valid criticisms based on undeniable facts like 20fps and empty field are handwaved away like they don't exist.

This is one of the reason why I prefer Super Mario 64 and the other N64 collectathons to Super Mario Odyssey. It lacks a hub world that connects every world.

20fps is not criticism

But totally ignoring half the overworld is an empty field and calling majoras mask amateur is literally delusional

imagine getting so triggered

Attached: 1543170218001.png (1002x688, 719K)

all i see in this thread is autistic majora's mask cucks like this getting triggered by the OP

73 replies and only 23 posters? Yikes someone needs to get a job.

>OP says OoT is better because it's connected

>MM is about 4 distinct, isolated areas that the giants went to

>calls MM amateur

This thread is fucking garbage

Ocarina of Time has a better influence and Legacy. What did Majora's Mask did

They developed this game in under a year I think.
It's good enough.

There's nothing for me to be deluded by.

I like totally forgot that the areas are even connected in ocarina lol

I thought it was retarded that Goron City and Lost Woods were connected.

It doesn't even seem right. I actually always thought that was weird.

This actually. The connections don't really feel all that natural sometimes.

is this a troll

i really can't say

That and it makes no fucking sense. Why would Lake Hylia connect to Zoras Domain across the fucking map? It's not even near it geographically.

nah but majora's mask is fucking garbage

This has to be a fucking bait post. There's no way someone can think Ocarina feels connected and Majoras Mask doesn't so it's amateur.
This whole thread makes no fucking sense

>and better dungeons
>MM
It has two (2) good dungeons, one (1) incredibly ordinary dungeon and one (1) absolute mess of a dungeon. You can praise Majora's storytelling and atmosphere over Ocarina all you want, but under no circumstance does it have better dungeons than Ocarina, a game with 10 dungeons, only one of them being less than good.

Attached: Forest Temple.jpg (2900x2700, 1.05M)

Congratulations, you removed 3 posts from the thread.

>subterranean river connecting both areas
>makes sense considering water temple is guarded by zoras
>also makes sense considering princess ruto's letter is in lake's hylia
>there are even a few zoras in lake hylia near the entrance
What they were trying to convey makes total sense considering this is a 20 year old game.

Cope

Sorry, sweetie, but Stone Tower is literally and objectively the best dungeon in the series.

>I'll just make up a headcanon

>dive down during the day, can't hold breath long

>appear instantly during same day

Nice job making up shit. They threw it together with no thought to geography

It's one of the best Zelda games, sorry about the shit taste.

(you)

It's kind of funny that despite being simpler and smaller Termina Field has about 10x more content in it then Hyrule Field.
I have also always liked the compass like world design. Doesn't make much sence but atleast it's consistent and Termina is supposed to be bizarro world anyway.

i know right. fedora's mask fags are truly deluded

>coherent world design is a pretty big factor in determining whether a game is good or not for me
ftfy

Attached: 1546031851377.gif (500x380, 169K)

>Hyrule field
>empty
There are two ways to look at it. The first is that it's a fucking field, what do you expect to find in it? It's not Market Town jam packed with things to see every 5 feet, it's a large plain, intentionally big enough so that you have to spend at least one night in the field. And that leads us to the second way of looking at it. There's still plenty going on considering it's a field and a hub. Enemies swarm all over the place at night, peahats in the field during the day, secret holes littered across the field and Lon Lon Ranch right in the middle of it. There's also Big Poes in the future.

How is it headcanon? All I said is stated in the game

>What they were trying to convey
That there was an easy shortcut for the player to use?

People need to enjoy things for what they are, and stop comparing. They’re not the same game. Would you compare it to banjo? Mario 64? No. Because they’re different games.

They threw it together to make it work in line with the Biggoron sword sidequest.

I never said otherwise. Stone Tower is one of the best, but that's one singular dungeon.

Attached: Dampe's Grave.jpg (1930x1090, 238K)

Lol. Okay sweetie, let's not even get into that shitty fetch quest.

It's as bad as Skyward Sword in terms of World design

you literally missed the entire point

Compared to the shitty mandatory fetch quests that pollute Majora's Mask the Biggoron sidequest is a breath of fresh air.

It's FUCKING DOCUMENTED AND WELL KNOWN THAT HYRULE FIELD IS LITERALLY UNFINISHED

This is false.

>subterranean river isn't a headcanon
It's just a fucking magic portal

Nice try. The quests in MM are clearly more traditional RPG style.

But keep seething that OoT is the beta of Majoras Mask

>he says that while defending fedora's mask aka aonuma's fetchquest galore
how deluded are fedora's mask cucks?

That doesn't make anything I said untrue.

>deflecting to insulting Majora
Pathetic.

You padded out in a poor attempt to cope with the fact hyrule field is a giant empty unfinished box

I'm sorry but there's a literal fetchquest mini dungeon in MM's where progression is blocked unless you fetch stuff for the Gibdos. Get your head out of your ass, kid.

>organically gathering things in the world

>the same as forcefully delivering 5 or 6 things in a row and with a timer at the end to get a weapon upgrade

fedora's mask niggers are truly deluded

Attached: 1524854545350.png (488x463, 28K)

Tribalism is dumb.

Beneath the well isn't the same, at all

That link is dead and going though the stages of grief

Mommy the gibdo wants a bean it's the same thing as biggoron MOMMY

>organically
Sure thing guy. Only one bottle is given to you as part of the main quest so the average Majora's Mask player has to keep going back and forth fetching stuff and with a lot of backtracking. And don't even get me started on the godawful "fetch my eggs sidequest"

There are only 3 things that have a time limit out of the 10 items.

Termina Field has 5 pieces of heart and and a mask sidequest in it. What's in Hyrule Field? In fact when are you ever rewarded with something meaningful for actually exploring the world in OOT and not just following the path laid out for you? Almost EVERYTHING in Majora's Mask is found out on your own. Shit like the Spider houses, Goron race, Beaver race, mini boss gauntlet underneath the waterfall in Ikana. So much shit.

I'm not deflecting. I'm calling out the mandatory fetchquests in Majora's Mask for what they are. Shitty padding.

OP is right, but trust the edgelords here to love MM. OoT is by far the superior game, the only area where MM wins is sidequests.

>I'm not deflecting
Yes you are. You deflected to MM when he criticized OOT.

All your complaints tell me that you weren’t old enough/alive to play this on N64. You are probably 12-14 yo and started playing games on ps3, where graphics were better and worlds were more open.

The reasons you listed tells me you judged the book by the cover and have no idea what makes games from that time good or not.

Attached: DD566C9D-47E0-4211-8025-43D73F7715CD.jpg (712x720, 56K)

not as dumb as autistic fedora's mask fanboys

Recycle some of the music and enemies from Ocarina of Time
World felt small compared to Ocarina of Time
Only one good dungeon the game
No Princess Zelda. Is just my only complaint. Otherwise is alright and it got cool ideas like the Masks

Attached: image.png (1050x1329, 2.28M)

No, pretty sure it's dumber.

The time mechanic is arbitrary
Why do I keep some things and not other things?

You're right. It's worse considering it's mandatory and not a completely optional sidequest.

Typical Majora's Mask fanboy "calling out" on the one criticizing his game and not on his fellow fanboy for doing the same thing he claims.

That reply chain was talking about OOT?

pretty sure it isn't

Pretty sure it is

nah the tower of babel theory is the correct one

>come to Yea Forums to moan about an 18 year old game

Nothing you said it new or interesting, nice blog post.

You're the only one retarded here if you can follow a simple argument. OP is crying because there's no "inter-connectivity" between the areas in Majora's Mask. There isn't any because you get the Song of Soaring incredibly early and can warp where ever you want once the statues are unlocked in that area. There is no reason for the shortcuts they put in OoT to exist where you don't get warp songs until far later into the game.

Interesting point. I never thought about OoT's shortcuts in that way but you can honestly tell a lot of thought was put in the game's design when most of those shortcuts are mostly used when you're a kid and you don't have the horse. It's pretty cool that they put those shortcuts so you could traverse the world faster as a kid

This is probably my biggest criticism of Ocarina. Despite being bigger it's empty as shit and there is nothing interesting to discover outside the dungeons.

This is one thing i really hated about MM. You were given the fast travel ability too early in the game and it didn't even feel earned.

Because the goddesses are helping link

nope

.So you're telling me that instead of using clever level design to circumvent these issues, they resorted to the laziest way of handling things with the Song of Soaring? Certainly not a good look for Majora's Mask poor world design

The song of soaring is given to you right before the first dungeon. This a perfect time because you have been on a time limit this whole time. So if you don't have enough time to finish the dungeon you can reset the clock and warp right back. Also I much much much prefer one warp song instead of 6.

All these valid points a d OP has nothing to say. I know this was a bait thread but come on. Atleast try.

fedora's mask fags got BTFO pretty hard in this thread

When? Only thing I have seen all thread is you making a fool out of yourself.

Fedoras Mask has actually totally BTFO Fedora of Thyme

Attached: 1536857315617.png (633x704, 78K)

It's a dungeon crawler, not a walking tour of Termina.

that's good criticism, but that doesn't make it a bad game
i can see its flaws but it's still one of the best zelda games

Well that's that I suppose. Thread over everyone. OP made an ass of himself, got blown the fuck out and couldn't recover. Have a nice day everyone.

/thread

BUT FEDORA LOL
FEDORA

UHH UHHH

IT'S NOT CONNECTED. THE WORLD ISN'T CONNECTED

PLEASE I LOVE FEDORA OF THYME

FUCK YOU

>MM
>dungeon crawler
get out you faggot. etrain odyssey and legend of grimrock are actual dungeon crawlers

>enter thread you don’t like
>have a persecution complex
>get called out
>”s-see!”

Attached: 47C9C524-4CEC-4FC9-93EC-3674647DF816.jpg (600x600, 35K)

haha

Attached: 1479979013857.jpg (1412x2048, 265K)

>”you can’t teleport from Snowhead to Great Bay, the game is a piece of shit”
Sweet thread OP

Attached: 3C95976D-2286-44DB-A92A-F46420C26A33.png (1190x906, 178K)