Is this the biggest flop in video game history?

Is this the biggest flop in video game history?

Attached: artifact.jpg (460x215, 29K)

Artifact is FLOURISHING

Maybe if you are a lil' zoomy whose history started with fornite.

Meh I don't know. It wasn't really calculated to be a success. Everyone knew it would be a shitshow. Worst part is, Valve barely felt it, if anything they gained money from a handful of blind whales. If it means Valve shapes the fuck up and starts actually making video games that aren't retarded again, then I might consider it the opposite of a flop.

That's not Duke Nukem Forever

Attached: IMG_20180701_212022.jpg (1200x1800, 259K)

It's certainly one of the biggest in recent memory. It's really amazing how steep the player count has been on this game. Remember that the player count on launch was 60 000 players. Right now it's around 600, so that means 99% of the people who own the game have abandoned it.
That's insane.

not the biggest but relatively to how big of a developer valve is it's pretty disastrous

How are they a big developer when they hardly make any games at all?
Even if you count stuff like Portal 2, those games never had AAA+ budget like a proper 'big' developer.

you're big by having a fuckload of money and being able to afford good developers, they have a history of buying smaller studios as it pleases them
and especially as they're a private company and have no soulless execs and investors breathing down their necks, they always should have the time to polish their products and do whatever the fuck they want so having a game flop is extra embarrassing

>Fallout76
>Battlefield V
>BFA
>Quake Champions
And those are the ones that were in 2018. How is shartifact that big of a flop to begin with when it was a cashgrab?

Attached: 1549632511628.jpg (364x302, 36K)

>Is this the biggest flop in video game history?
lol

Attached: oops.png (1568x924, 810K)

AY LIMAO

Thank fuck, Steam will be dead soon.

In terms of lost momentum / proportion of playerbase? It's a contender. But if we're going by lost players / sales, Artifact doesn't really compare to huge bombs like FO76.

Artifact put Valve's game developer reputation further into the gutter, though.

keks

>makes 30% on every single transaction made on steam
>16 million active accounts daily
Yeah nah that ain't happening chief, especially considering the fact Tencent owns 40% of Epic, and Epic was up to this point the ONLY competition Valve had, but they fucked it by pissing off everyone with Metro. Valve's still safe for a few years. Fuck even IBM is safe despite what they did years ago.

Biggest? No. That would be one of the dead AAA mmos.
But it still was quite impressive how fast it died.

>but they fucked it by pissing off everyone with Metro

By everyone you mean a handful of Redditors?

Ohnonono not the WWE SuperChads

Attached: 1548300579405.gif (500x357, 358K)

>no ranked

Yeah it's shit

>a handful of redditors
You're that Epic shill from earlier aren't you?

Attached: Cyberpunk.png (763x741, 339K)

Radical Heights was on top of Twitch for like five minutes IIRC. That would make Artifact not even close.

SEETHING

>little to no hype at all
>EVERYONE knew it was going to be mediocre at best
>biggest flop

No, but you're definitely a Valve shill

>gets called out
>sh-shill
Stay mad chink.

It's more of a big fall for Valve. This is what they came up with after 5 or so years of nothing, it bombed, and now they're facing increasing competition from other storefronts after doing nothing but resting on their laurels.

LEEEEAAAAFFYYYYY

BAN THIS THREAD BAN THEM ALL

From what I heard from people actually playing the game, things are finem there is a multi-thousand dollars tournament every week.

Artifact was always built for the hardcore TCG crowd and that is not a huge crowd, I'm sure valve took that into account when designing the game and spending its budget.

its going to be a GOG exclusive and pcbros will shit themselves

Attached: 1539305072820.jpg (444x405, 36K)

>GOG exclusive
I'd much rather see GoG as a direct competitor to Valve than Epic, fuck.

The introduction of ranked to dota was a fucking mistake

t. PSG

>ranked matchmaking in a highly competitive team based game is bad

>Solo ranked(the only number people care) on a team game was a good idea

WWE Supercard is actually kinda fun.

>Dying genre that is dying once Hearthstone hype died down
>big fall
>increasing competition
>when Epic store panders to devs instead of consumers
Steam will stay afloat as long as there's a launcher who is actually better.

I like how they're so concerned with mobile they're considering dropping Source for Unity yet they still haven't updated their mobile app.

Next time pay more attention to your moneymakers Gabe.

Attached: whats a tf2.jpg (1092x1080, 88K)

Hearthstone is still a PC game, you mouthbreather. Oh nevermind, you're the Chink.

>members of TF2 community offering to work on Heavy update for fucking free
>ignored by Valve

Attached: 1549822897954.jpg (634x802, 88K)

If you want your hardcore P2W game to succeed, you need F2P plebs as a player fodder for the paying populace. Just look at Apex, it's hugely popular thanks to the fact its free to play

It's been how many months since release, and is there any expansions teased or anything? Or was this pushed out as a stillborn too?

but GOG is great, no DRM, no launcher, no bloat, why would we shit ourselves?

I don't really get the Apex comparison here, as Apex is not pay-to-win.
Comparing Hearthstone in its prime would be more apt.

Because it'd be the first step in GoG legitimately competing with Steam. It should have been GoG to begin with but people like Epic because of the fortnite meme.

it's good because you don't have to play with total fucking retards if you're lonely but good player

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial flopped so hard it broke the entire industry and video games would have been a dead industry if it wasn't for the madlads at nintendo deciding they would make a new console when the entire market was failing

Isn't Valve going to buy the guys who made that pokemon mod for DOTA2?

They're trying but they fucked up when those dudes reached out to them. Now Tencent gave them an offer and Valve's gonna have to pay even more if they want the team.

>Valve's gonna have to pay even more if they want the team
I wonder how they are going to monetize the mod in order to break even.

All they have to do is give them money and american citizenship.
No amont of tencent money would give them that

They already have Dota Plus so I'm assuming it'd be something like "buy this game and get a free month of Dota Plus"

Right but this is Valve we're talking about. When was the last time they made an even remotely conscience decision that didn't completely fuck consumers in the ass?

It probably doesn't cost a lot of money to make a card game. A bombing triple A game from EA would be a bigger disaster.

drumph won't let them

is the 1 million dollar tournament still happening?

god i hope so

It's probably a drop in the bucket for valve but it did reveal to everyone how out of touch valve is nowadays and can't read what gamers want

Last I heard it was "delayed" so probably not.

>Pay to play
>with HS, GWENT and even TESL as free games
kek

Attached: 1427855981397.jpg (413x395, 31K)

hell, even MTGA is free, and MTGO has years upon years of natural growth of community. both volvo and Dick Lasagnacat somehow failed at something so basic. thankfully for the latter, Keyforge is pretty neat and fun.

Volvo got too greedy for their own good.
I swear Artifact would've done just fine if it was F2P
What braindead fuck over at valve thought "Oh yeah, we'll have an entry fee for this game and then have the ONLY way to get cards be by paying, I'm sure that'll go over well with the VTCG community!

So why don't they just make the game F2P?

Attached: 1520504806808.jpg (323x297, 20K)

It will be free in around 4-5 years just like they did with tf2 and csgo.

It would destroy the steam market.
I mean those 5 people working on it didn't thought it out clearly.
Valve should've hired some competent people instead of these retards.

I think Artifact made Valve re-evaluate what the fuck they've been doing for the past decade

"but muh trading and muh market" is why they didn't make it f2p. to which i say bullshit. just make the free cards untradeable, like achievement items in tf2, and make the free drops worthless, like the free drops in tf2. add in cosmetic monetisation like card backs and premium foil australium borders misprint editions of cards that are visually different but functionally the same, that can be traded and can be dropped from paid packs, and badda bing badda boom. cheap players look for cheap versions of packs, while the gambler addicts whale away for digital card sleeves.

Valve were just testing the waters to see how much they can nickel and dime their fans

>of packs
of cards* (on the market)(to complete their collections and decks)

Were the Steam Link thingy and the Steam Controller a success?
I really don't remember anything about those.

>tfw will never be able to be a fly on the wall in the offices when Artifact dropped out of the Top 100 by week two

Attached: 1549716257812.jpg (600x574, 209K)

I'm glad that CCG fad is over. Glorified browser games earning more than actual games.

>Were the Steam Link thingy and the Steam Controller a success?
Steam link was discontinued because they switched it so that it is not need and you can just use your smartphone.
Dunno about the controller, but I own one and am pretty satisfied with it.

>actual games
what actual games?
besides a few indie games and a few aaa games the rest is garbo

i've always wanted to try the controller, seems pretty fun
but i don't think it was a huge success
>you can just use your smartphone
really? from the steam app?

Is it a flop if a game made with 2$ earns 5$?

>from the steam app?
I think it's a separate app, called steam link.

no you underagers

Attached: 145105624154.jpg (278x359, 18K)

but that's completely acceptable because CD Projekt runs and owns GOG. It's like Half-Life being a Steam exclusive. i honestly don't know why Witcher wasn't a GOG exclusive.

Attached: 1434219639584.jpg (1435x1438, 497K)

Just remove the AI partners and then you have a solid game.

I just want them take their heads out of their own asses, stop milking the "newer" trends (moba, card games, battlegrounds), stop "experimenting" with hardware and actually make good games.
Fucking hell for years we've been getting l4d3 and hl3 leaks and hints but nothing actually comes out.

because you can't people (and that's a good thing) (here's why)

you made profit, small but profit nontheless
and technically 150% returns is not that small, even if it's still just 3$

Would be a bigger problem if Valve was a public traded company. Lets suppose that this happens to any other developer/publisher. People would be mad because it failed to achieve the expected result. They invested money and did not got what they were promised back.

>BUT THE MONETIZATION
Artifact didn't flop due to them being jews, if that were the case it wouldnt have went from 60k to 600 players.

It flopped because the game was fucking terribly unfun. People were clearly willing to spend money if the game was good.

But Dick Kickem was good. For a Dick Kickem game. If you were expecting CoD like every other mainstream triple-a mouthbreather, then you were the problem.

Then why did I keep hearing that the game itself is fine?
most of people who slammed or never bought the game did so because of the monetization, including me

Go home, Randy. No one wanted a 2 gun limit and regenerating health in a Duke Nukem game.

Because that's poorfags/gamer activism that happens with every thread and the source of that shit is always people who don't actually play the game anyways.

HL is dead

A game where a single match lasts for an hour, you lose real money when you lose it, and every day your opponents grow a bit stronger because userbase shrinks and only good players remain. What the fuck Valve was smoking.

It's a huge flop but not on the scale of tortanic

ok in next game we will have more turret sections

Those are two very different things user.
There were tons of people who did buy the game but stopped playing in under a week because the game was just shit. Just look at the player numbers drop off a cliff in less than two days.

>Because that's poorfags/gamer activism that happens with every thread
>implying I was talking about Yea Forums

It will obviously not Epic store exclusive, with GoG being a thing.
What a stupid question.

TOP KEK

No one is playing it, but it definitely wasn't a flop. It was a cheap ass looking game with plenty of people who bought it, plus people who bought packs, plus Valve taking a cut off of every card sale on the market.

the game is fun but it is exhausting to play

Artefact couldn't possibly cost much to make.

Attached: d0b669fabfc3815558e927999eb8401e.png (1070x1041, 758K)

There aren't anymore. It's literally dead

WTF does Valve even develop these days? Do they even care about videogames anymore?

Attached: Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg (305x437, 210K)