Why are Shounens so fucking fast now...

Why are Shounens so fucking fast now? Can't you fucks just slow down and develop the world and characters without resorting to infodumps? What's with the Japanese and infodumps anyways?

Attached: 1649426871045.gif (500x400, 639.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/181261092020/tumblr-resized-the-images-so-that-it-was-hard-to
thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/147077253795/if-were-still-talking-about-infodumps-i-have-an
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's just how the eastern story telling style is

axe fear
lack of storytelling craft

Why are weekly stories worried about being axed if their readership falls too low willing to completely explain their world in a quick dump than risk taking their time to gradually build things without an easy hook?

I've been reading Hitman Reborn and boy the initial slice of life arc is fun as fuck. It lasts like 60 chapters and you get to know the characters well enough so that when the action begins you actually give a shit about them.

Youngfags today have worse attention spans than previous generation which means you have to be more spastic to keep their attention, you're competing with kuso mobage and other crap that gives kids their dopamine fix so you gotta go go go NOW.

They're very bad at writing, generally

Social media has fried people's attention spans.

My biggest annoyance that I found is that I've noticed the childhood friend or "girlfriend" of MC ends up being a bitch so when MC ends up in hell/retard academy/post apocalypse, they introduce a "better" girl.

Were these authors bullied or something?

They said that about TV, and it was wrong. What social media is actually doing is much worse.

Series like HxH and FMA set the bar for power systems and worldbuilding really high so many new shonens jump to info dump because they’re more concerned with having everything set up for the reader/viewer rather than ease into the story and reveal those things in time or a nuanced way.

Because most shonen series need to deal with the pressure of potentially being axed if their viewership isn't high enough right away. The ultra competitive market for shonen means that if they don't hook readers in IMMEDIATELY and show that their idea is worthwhile they'll be gone before they can even release one volume.

Only way to get away with slower paced series is either self publishing or publishing in a lesser known/slower genre type magazine.

Attached: 59439454-e8da-4142-b9dd-51d14468be6b.png (611x599, 214.15K)

>Shounens

people are "EDUCATED" by social media, so and so deserves/earned/gained/lost, and deserves to lose their job, money, reputation, legal protection, education, and life because they said NIGGER, or something else(mind you there are real life locations and situations that losing your life/liver/consciousness is deserved for saying that)
not a single child, grandkid, or elementary school kid knows and uses online safety with their online names, addresses, emails, twitters, BANK ACCOUNTS, CREDIT CARDS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, and such. They believe knowing the current(up to the minute/second social standing of people/society/things is more important)
Suzie got killed because she has the same basic name as a influencer that said nigger and said anti-semetic shit at a twitter coffee shop?? DESERVED IT/CAN'T BE HELPED.
Brad no longer has a job, health insurance, etc because he joined his many friends in saying Nigger in a group chat session and was chosen as a scape goat by a politician?? TOO BAD, he deserved to die from lack of HIV DRUGS!!
This is the world we live in, votes MATTER, but not the the degree they should.

>Yea Forums - Anime & Manga

Zoomers have brain damage from too much social media exposure. They legitimately can't watch anything longer than 25 episodes unless they speed up the episodes.

This, it's because if they don't hook readers within like, 12 chapters, they get axed.

how is alternative publishing in japan. like if you are not in a magazine are you just fucked?

There are other way to hooks your audience without infodump. Most new writers don't understand that characters likeability is more important than world building, especially in the beginning. Start simple then build upon the foundation. This thus created a vicious cycle where the authors created boring characters at the beginning, which tank the readers impression which made the authors panic and start infodump hoping to make the readers stay once they see these "interesting" worlds

How many manga have you started where the world building genuinely captivated you as opposed to the characters

the 12-20 chapter axe limit does severely limit your options though.
You can't build up a bigger buildup->climax->end arc because readers only really respond to climaxes, so you better have built one up by chapter 10-12 or editor-san's gonna be like "mangaka-san, you're numbers aren't looking good, you've got 5 chapters to wrap this up, sorry"
It means you have to recue your characters to caricatures more or skip training/severely fast forward it, which makes the power ups feel cheap and unearned and you hate the character more.
I agree that worldbuilding isn't that important, though I dont think that's the root of the problem.

That's a strawman, the manga I like had an interesting world building hook and the characters were obviously going to be linked to it. Info dumping and exposition is bad because it's too dry.

>you have to recue your characters
*reduce

>Can't you fucks just slow down and develop the world and characters without resorting to infodumps?
this is literally what digimon ghost game has been doing, and every saturday, we have zoomers in the thread throwing a temper tantrum because the plot isn't going fast enough for them.
the reason most shonens don't bother with proper worldbuilding anymore is because they know their audience.

thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/181261092020/tumblr-resized-the-images-so-that-it-was-hard-to
thewebcomicsreview.tumblr.com/post/147077253795/if-were-still-talking-about-infodumps-i-have-an
tl;dr you can weave loreshit into casual dialogue or the background and still convey info to the audience without having to stop the manga progression entirely for walls of text

I know people will disagree with me on this but the first volumes of Attack on Titan. The characters didn’t get good until later.

>Tumblr
But I agree, part of the problem I see lately is that the mangaka has no fucking idea how to take the information out of the text box and have the characters discuss worldbuilding things naturally. It's about as dumb as if you were introducing a foreigner to your country and you chuck a pamphlet at him instead of taking him to the places you know and talking about what makes it interesting.

It makes sense when a writer is so invested in their creation that they have all the intricacies in their own mind, and they think transcribing some of that information on paper makes sense and transfers the 'magic' of the world across as well. But it's like having a dream versus telling people the dream you had and assuming it'll be just as compelling for them as it was for you

I think integration is key here. There's a very important location and mysterious phenomenon in my WIP, my way of bringing it across to the reader and also the characters is having a character who has an obsession with said thing because he's never witnessed it and only heard of it from his elders. In the same vein, this is where character diversity can help to create lively and real interactions because different characters will care about different things.

>mangaka not wanting to fall into the "battle shonen with a million chapters" hole so they go kind of fast and skip over things
>trying to hook people like has been said a lot in here to avoid being axed
>trying to cater to the same audience that jumps from 12 episode anime to 12 episode anime, ie the people with fried attention spans from the way modern anime is made
Some or all of the above.

Attached: cultural iceberg.png (2048x2000, 484.47K)

>axe fear
This is probably the one, sadly they do all the cool and interesting shit first in order to gather an audience and when they arent at risk of being axed they dont have anything else to develop or show.

The second one applies too honestly, a storyteller should know how to sustain it.

Just because you need to build thing up doesn't mean it have to be boring until you finish. A good writer is one that could make the build up part fun to read as well.

I think it has a lot to do with character involvement. Fun build-up tends to have characters actively involved in said build-up, for instance talking about something that might happen in the future.

Because this is how consumer culture works now. You either get the readers attentions with flashy shit until your manga get out of the axe zone or you go the slow build up approach and gamble on your manga not getting the axe.

Why does everything get axed now?
Isn't get a minor or moderate success better than chasing the next golden goose? Fucking Jump+ and small magazines have better shit than Weekly Jump now

because there's tons of competition and every magazine wants the next one piece or demon slayer or whatever. They know they can get away with pushing creators like this because there's a million more with a million more ideas to replace them.

Quality matters in the end, if I feel the pacing leaves little room to breathe I'm still going to drop it.

Social media has conditioned zoomers to be addicted to instant gratification.

if you want world building, read a book

Everything get axed all the time, they axed more shot in the past. Remember that the publishers are the one who pay to print and promote these series so once they see that it not a good investment anymore, they would logically cut their loss and focus their resources to other series.

>meanwhile well-known shounen never ends

Because that's what wsj is for.
Shueisha runs other magazines, but they only want mega hits in wsj.

Just stop reading shounen jump shit and suddenly that "fear of the axe" disappears

or just stop reading garbage

people here unironically make fucking Doron Dororon threads.

>or just stop reading garbage
it's literally what I said with "shounen jump shit"

I read 3 WSJ manga so I can't feel ya there

>Why are Shounens so fucking fast now?
Increase in country wealth, more nutrition available for all kinds of children. In most countries, even outside Japan, athletic performances of children have been increasing steadily for the past few decades.

There's shitloads of magazines and 99% of them are not as cutthroat as WSJ. Alternatives to magazines is going indie (aka doujin).
Anyway, it's considered a pretty big accomplishment to be in Jump at all, let alone survive in there.

That's the thing, if you manage to set foot into WSJ, even if your series flop, you still get some major exposer and can help your career in the future due to how big WSJ brand is and Jump always promote series that on it, even if they flop at least once.

kek

Exactly.

90% of the people reading your shounen manga will drop it if you spend too much time on this things. You can see it in this very board. The rest 10% are too insignificant to mater

Frankly speaking, Yea Forums isn't really representative of the average reader of Jump. Most of Jump's (paying) readers are normalfags, while Yea Forums is primarily terminally online 3rd worlders.

because nips are finally starting to get past their bugmen mentality, so most of them aren't too keen on wasting their entire lives writing a single children's book anymore like dinosaurs like oda did

>need to deal with the pressure of potentially being axed if their viewership isn't high enough right away
I'm not quite familiar with how this works, does a single weekly magazine you buy not contain a chapter per each series currently in circulation? If so how do they know which ones are being skimmed over vs actively engaged with? Just based on polls or what?

Who are the people that had a U19 and then went somewhere else, in shueisha or not, that then had a good career? I can't think of many offhand. Bozebeats guy. Who else?

Mostly base on poll, the poll system actually is getting better since online polls is easier than the old fashion mailing system. But beside that, the publishers also view the sale, growth and other unknown factors to guess the series popularity. You don't actually need to be the best, just not be the last is enough

Red Hood mangaka got lots of exposer and is coming back with another one shot, so does Giga author, Akane is another promising series that from an U19 author. Hori did got 2 axed before MHA