Why do quite a bit of characters use Bokken (Wooden pracitce katana) instead of normal ones...

Why do quite a bit of characters use Bokken (Wooden pracitce katana) instead of normal ones? It is just more Musashi wank?

Attached: 1262_1.jpg (1024x1024, 34.32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=q4cXrQC-n1A
samuraishokai.jp/contents/kounyu.html
youtube.com/watch?v=AXULyUC9kIM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Give one example that's not a high schooler in a kendo club.

nigga watch the intro scene of Shigurui

Gintama

Gintoki

It's cooler.

Attached: TBF Sho.jpg (1024x576, 88.47K)

The Hitokiri Battousai

It feels like a more impressive feat if a swordsman is able to outclass other skilled fighters with a wooden training sword. It's like if you had a serial killer that went around murdering people with a pair of safety scissors.

Attached: 51cC0NMsobL._AC_SL1024_.jpg (1024x500, 28.31K)

I only remember Ryu from Shaman King and hes a massive moralfag so it makes sense he sticks to fake swords

Taiga aisaka

that's not fair, this dude makes a fucking stick deadly

The thing about sword fights is that they realistically can only allow for a few clean hits before stuff like regeneration or cybernetics have to explain why the combatants aren’t in a billion pieces

Attached: 1651200262825.jpg (900x1350, 471.84K)

I really liked how early bleach did it where even when they were exchanging blows and blood was flying everwhere, you could see that none of them were clean hits and that these guys knew how to be really slippery in a sword fight

I mean, what sounds more memorable as a delinquent name, "Sword" Ryu or "Wooden Sword" Ryu?

>Why
Because sword licenses are for rich niggers in Japan, it's basically like a destructive device (machine gun) permit in California. Yeah technically they exist and "you" can get them but only if you're some movie star, local politician, industrialist etc.
So 99.99% of regular fucking people only have access to bokken.

That's not true. You can buy one without a license.

It's a way to show how skillful the character in question are. If someone is that good with a wooden sword, how much better can he be with a real sword. There is a characters in Chinese ' literature who is so skilled with the sword that he stop using metal sword in his 40s, his philosophy was that a swordman can use anything as a sword and be as deadly

>a serial killer that went around murdering people with a pair of safety scissors
or a spoon

I can't believe how old this is youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y

Because swords are expensive, but more importantly, they are also fucking heavy.

Because it's the superior version of the katana of course, and that's why i sleep with one at the side of my bed since i was 18

Attached: 1651137429034.jpg (279x292, 33.29K)

Pic?

I think it is because real swords are lethal. In other words, it's a way to keep the kendo girls in romcoms from becoming murderers.

>in real life...
You need permission to own real swords. Imitation swords do not require such permission, but basically, you are not allowed to carry them out in public. And in fact, even wooden swords and bamboo swords can get you arrested if you carry them around without a valid reason.

So the MC can show off their awesome sword skills without killing anyone, it's just that simple.

A katana is only 3 pounds. They're not like European swords which can be 8 pounds.

>Why do quite a bit of characters use Bokken (Wooden pracitce katana) instead of normal ones?
They fear the awesome killing power of the Kriegsmesser.

Attached: 1562441939533.jpg (839x960, 88.98K)

And bokken is only like 1 pound. The weight difference is big when you consider the training is like swinging for a hundred times each set.

A suburito can weigh just as much, if not more, than a real katana.
t. practicing kendo for 8+ years.

Attached: suburito.jpg (640x425, 41.44K)

Attached: 1616992941583.jpg (2560x1600, 1013.65K)

Because owning a sword it typically illegal in Japan.

Bro my Japanese friends tell me they don't think Musashi was even a real person.

>european swords which can be 8 pounds
Yeah, a fucking zweihander. I'd hardly call that typical.

He was a real person but the historic 'Musashi' we know from accounts are basically all stories written by the guy himself. So how real or unreal 'Musashi' is is basically impossible to ever truly gauge. Kind like how the real Emperor Nero may as well be a phantom because the only contemporary accounts of the guy were written by two guys that fucking hated him decades after his death.

Yes, there's also odachi that can weight ten times more than normal katana. But both are outliners and not something common for beginners or contests.

Suburito are not outliners. They're common tools used specifically to build muscle.

I thought it required decent muscles and understanding of forms first before you recommend Suburito for people. Well, I stand corrected.

You're correct, building form and technique is done with something lighter since it allows for more reps to be done to untrained muscles, and the lighter bokuto (they also make even lighter bokuto using a less dense wood) provides immediate feedback on the smallest inaccuracy in your technique.

Suburito is for when you have the form down and need to build muscle. Jumping straight to using a suburito is asking for bad habits to form and possible strain/injury.

True, there is no license, but any sword made from steel,ie a NIhontou requires an art certificate. And new katana from a master swordsmith are 10k easily,or more.

get cultured, practice swords are kino

>It is just more Musashi wank?
You dumb faggot. You need to register a sword to the cops if you want to have one in Japan. And it has to be made by an actual swordsmith. It's probably frowned upon to bring a Iaito everywhere for no reason.
>youtube.com/watch?v=q4cXrQC-n1A

What's the legality of buying a steel Iaito then sharpening it at home? For...Samurai purposes....

It's cool.

Attached: Beelzebub - Vol.23 Ch.200 - Third Generation Leader - 10.jpg (900x1300, 240.39K)

Twilight Suzuka

Iaitous are made of zinc and nickel I think,no sharpening.

Holy shit, this is so ridiculously fucking retarded, why do the japanese allow this retardation to continue straight into the 21th century? You'd guess artisan protections would have already been destroyed by capital at this point.
Btw, why do they even want to maintain the katana as a luxury item that bad? I thought they had already pretty much given up on the concept when ww2 forced their industry to mass produce simpler, low quality katanas for their officers, so i guess they reintroduced that protection at some point.

the intention is to train with a heavier weight so the actual thing feels weightless, right?

You niggas don't know shit. First of all, what said is true. An iato made in Japan by definition can't be made of a "sharpenable" steel. You can try to put an edge on the zinc/nickel ones, but it won't last long, and those things break pretty easily if you hit something with them. Do not recommend.

And the rest of you are misunderstanding the "registration" system in Japan. It's actually explained here: samuraishokai.jp/contents/kounyu.html

Anyone can own a sword, as long as it's registered with the prefecture.

*and by "sword," I mean "traditionally made" swords that at least don't look like foreign-made garbage. Traditionally made Japanese swords = art pieces and antiques worthy of preserving. And you can get them at flea markets for pretty cheap, or a sword shop that picked up some no-name piece of junk. It's not difficult to find something less than $1000 if you really want.

>Anyone can own a sword, as long as it's registered with the prefecture.
This is some absolute bullshit. Now I kind of understand why people back in samurai times had to make weapons out of sickles and chains. I'd do the same NOW if I was some Nihon nigga.

Attached: Parry this you faggot cops.png (640x524, 358.08K)

Im the first guy you quoted,and the one in the middle of the paragraph. Well I didn't know, all I know is they need a certificate,as long as you have the money,you can get it.

youtube.com/watch?v=AXULyUC9kIM

That and building sword swinging muscles faster.

Because it's illegal to own one in Japan, last I heard. A real one.

It was a caste system that treated swords like status symbols. Some groups weren’t allowed to carry swords, and there were plenty of samurai who were assholes. Okinawans made due with what they had

Attached: 1651022299947.webm (800x450, 2.72M)

these were always insane to see, I did Kendo for over a decade but never managed to purchase a heavy one, mostly because i did it in my youth.

See
You can own an AR-15 in most states in the US, but can you open carry it? Open carry of swords is illegal in Japan

I read that Musashi is like one of the only Samurai to be able to use two katanas because he was a giant in comparison to everyone else and the katanas weight didnt fuck with him. But are Katanas really that heavy? Like that one 7 foot sword only weighed 14lbs and was the biggest actually used in combat. Are japs just that small and weak?

>destructive device (machine gun) permit in California
What??? Those are two entirely different NFA items. Even in Cali you don’t need a permit to own a DD, because you pay a DD tax stamp, which is on an entirely different registry from a Machine Gun tax stamp. Stick to talking about what you understand. God you self confidant Dunning Krueger retards piss me off.

>bokken
This is how you recognize hopeless EOP people who think they're experts despite relying only on second hand sources.

Most Japanese swords I’ve seen weigh between 500-1000g for the blade only. There are beefier ones that are heavier, but for the maneuverability, anything that heavy become like swinging a crowbar. Strikes become harder to recover from just from the momentum of any swing with power.

I’d pretty much imagine a 14lb Japanese sword to be a fucking massive shrine offering and not something a person would use. It might not seem like much, but that much weight in sword form, balanced like a Japanese sword (usually tip heavy if it’s any good) would be a nightmare to do anything except big downward cuts with. Then you’d have to desperately try to get it back into striking position.

Sickles are easier to conceal as common farming tools than a sword. It work way better for assassination and steal mission

A longsword is around 2.4–4.0 lb.