What was the anime community on the internet like back in the 90s?

What was the anime community on the internet like back in the 90s?

Attached: 1650557062306.jpg (640x480, 85.35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OyTPAN7uvoU
youtube.com/watch?v=athjskaqAQk
ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv movies/anime-manga/sorted/
ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv movies/anime-manga/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

trips as an OP? this thread's gonna make it

Didn’t we just have thread with the exact same op? You already got your answer, why are you asking again?

>you can't make multiple threads with the same topic
Holy newfag, you have to go back.

It was awesome you could only see a few shows and VHS and laserdisc were super convenient and cheap and we used to call them oriental cartoons those were the days.

I wonder if we can find any newsgroups of the time discussing Evangelion.

flame wars
There are a bunch archived by Google, just look up the anipike list of groups on archive.org

>Oriental cartoons

No one ever called it that you zoomer

youtube.com/watch?v=OyTPAN7uvoU

IRC was so much better than Discord...
Look at the genuine way of typing, nowadays anyone would embarrassed to just type "Hehe" and send it as a message.

8:53
>Popular Series
>Dragonball
CHADgon CHADs won even in the past. Holy shit, we literally RULE this world.

IRC servers still exist user...

but not with the same people, they're probably discord-lite now

Brit bros:
youtube.com/watch?v=athjskaqAQk

>Manga Entertainment were so dominant in the UK for anime that for 15 or so years normies kept calling anime, Manga
>It even popped up on University Challenged where Paxman corrected someone who did it

Fuck Funimation and fuck Sony for buying the brand and dissolving it. Without Manga Entertainment there wouldn't be a Ghost in the Shell movie (and in turn The Matrix).

Yeah lol I always used to call it manga also they put dnb in everything the fist of the north star dvd set they put out was hype as fuck although I didn't realise their was more than the 36 eps till later I thought it just ended out the blue.

Attached: 1336985000979.png (687x771, 58.6K)

Do you even talk to people

>IRC was so much better than Discord
We had the same power tripping channel moderators, so not by much. Thankfully they weren't as open about their pedophile tendencies, so they were more pleasant.

Attached: 1598914476015.png (996x1038, 56.33K)

fuck, meant to post this one

Attached: 1500295509641.png (731x403, 45.52K)

How do you think the 90s anime community would've reacted if they knew the course the industry and the fandom would take?

>Kawaii is the latest fad, and it will fade into the background as the next fad hits in a couple of years

Attached: 1383133925229.png (455x361, 22.94K)

They were exactly the same as today

I surfed the internet in 1998 via Netscape Navigator. It was okay: funny chats, news sites.

Now I feel young.

I've seen this thread so many times I wonder how honest is OP about this question

Better.

Well, the more things change and all that...

Or other stuff airing at the time.

>"Oldfag" used the word moeshit

What I'm getting is that change will always offend the oldest generation and we're on a treadmill of change and are merely on the trailing end of it as more and more of the older generation fall off every year.

It's a tale as old as time itself.

I'd hesitate to say much had even actually changed at all
Sharing videos/translations has become far easier thanks to the internet, so it's now similarly far easier to find all the mediocre shows that people might not have bothered distributing widely in the past, plus people tend to only remember the really good shit in the long term so might end up with a rose-tinted view on older stuff without even realizing

Attached: cherry picking retards.jpg (2199x1938, 1.72M)

>Ys
>Anime

Attached: lilia ys.jpg (480x360, 27.51K)

Online has always been terrible. This real shit was meeting in the middle of a desert over some beers.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 64.75K)

Chat groups with older people are still like that. Even on Discord. Just don't go to shitty 12yob& servers. If you were around long enough, you might have found IRC and other chat groups like this that came from here even. I'm a part of them, but I'm not posting links.
Small chat groups are much more geniune than places like Yea Forums.

Every time this thread is posted, it's filled with the same screenshots.
I was lucky to have met one of these "oldtaku" (as they call themselves) and the stories he tells are great. Star Blazers rooms, the first cons, how anime fandom even started in the US.
I suggest you start looking places other than Yea Forums for connections like this.

this, you're not gonna get any traction on Yea Forums if you keep making these bait posts
wapchan's been pretty good for this(though it's hard to tell how many of the posters there are actual oldies)
there's other fourms and irc servers scattered around, maybe go digging through google sometime

>@UsagiChan sets mode +m
@UsagiChan Kya ha ha

>keep distributing the tapes!
This thread is aging me every post I read

Attached: cr9pkw0pqmu41.jpg (1400x700, 71.01K)

Searching for shitty images on turnpike, IRC and hotline. Praising your luck when you found someone who was giving away full episodes, even though they took up half your HDD. A lot of VHS sharing. And a ton of dub supremacists.

Only advantage back then was less elitism. People were happy with whatever they could find. And mostly had only the same 20-40 shows floating around. Compared to today where you have more anime in one season than the average westerner had access to in their entire library.

Attached: so1334rj.jpg (387x291, 18.18K)

Were people still laughing at the awkward, excessive profanity in Manga Entertainment dubs?

Few people were buying their stuff. They were ripping it from rentals or getting fansubs from the Japanese release. Even back then, people could tell the 'official' subs were trash.

>What was the anime community on the internet like back in the 90s?
Find out for yourself with the oldest living part of it: the SUNET mirror of the ancient Venice Anime FTP archive. Where else will you find a pic like this last modified in 1988? This is pre-WWW Internet, as old as it gets.

ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv movies/anime-manga/sorted/

the rest of it: ftp.sunet.se/mirror/archive/ftp.sunet.se/pub/tv movies/anime-manga/

Attached: UYLOGO.gif (320x240, 63.14K)

Guys talked about the shit that they imported themselves and shared them at conventions.

> back in the 90s

Mahjong and tiddies.

anime

Attached: 1543196154185.png (559x155, 10.23K)

Attached: 1543198848335.png (1169x424, 87.7K)

Attached: 1543196909431.png (685x708, 198.35K)

>People called gundam boring even in the 90s
Based

Oh shit Wapchan shill is here. To advertise his site.

There wasn't a community online, the community was with my friends. I ordered CD's yes Cd's from australia with anime on it, and I exchanged into australian dollards and mailed it on the post

A community online? well it was a community of sorts

You can still access Usenet's rec.arts.anime and see old discussions

>he hasn't seen '92 Ys anime
GO FIGHT!

Attached: adol.png (848x959, 919.28K)

it was all about pokemon, digimon, doraemon and sailormon

Maybe in the circles you ran in.

Some self-promoters have no shame whatsoever.

I miss him so much.

Attached: DBZZ.jpg (2173x1142, 174.9K)

Is the JEWS not society. So so naive.

If you were in first grade, yeah.

It kills me that we never knew what happened to him. Not a single way to help him.

>user mentions site once
>HOLY SHIT ITS A SHILL

Attached: 1611095101328.jpg (457x505, 29.69K)

Everyone just called them cartoons, it was a better time.