Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

they dont make vampire animes like this anymore

Attached: 1642717098811.jpg (1920x1038, 115.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vampire_Hunter_D_novels
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that's because vampires are basically succubi now

every woman D meets falls in love with him so he might as well be one

they still make poorly written anime with gary stus

hes not a gary stu, hes just autistic

No, he's just a paranoid schizophrenic with sociopathic tendencies and extreme narcissism.

>animes

yes

Attached: 1637390995054.png (632x359, 40.43K)

Not that I had any particularly high hopes for it, but is the new anime series even being made now? I had heard covid fucked it pretty hard.

it isnt even through pre-production yet

Jesus christ, they may as well cancel it if it's taking that long.

They just don't make em like they used to, but that's okay. Just be grateful and enjoy what we've got

Attached: vhd3.webm (868x480, 2.61M)

>hes not a gary stu, hes just autistic
You clearly haven't read the books. He is the Gary Stu of Gary Stus.
>infinitely strong
>infinitely durable
>his sword can extend infinitely (he uses it to cut the tops off of several mountains)
>He can move faster than the speed of light
>he survived being dropped into a sun
>If he's killed, he can choose not to die, instead.
>knows every bit of technology
>knows every spell, both vampiric and sacred
>can alter reality around him
>can alter time around him

...and the list goes on from there.
Basically, the author comes up with "this will kill anything, even D" and then pulls some shit out of his ass so that D wins, all the time, at everything, forever.

you're right, ive only seen the two movies, should i read the books

well its right in his name

They're not bad; the world is well-detailed, well written. I've been reading them slowly for the past few years.
He solves mysteries and saves people in clever and unique ways, but it's just that D is so utterly perfect at everything that it's like... "fucking really?"

Beautiful movie but I liked the 85 movie better moeblobs be damned

this movie's plot might have not been the best but god fuckign damn it
>animation was lit af
>atmosphere of dead, rotten world was set af

i shold learn how to read nipponese, apparently the translations are not very good
there is something really special about the 85 film, I like the music a lot

Attached: 1643661983422.jpg (758x426, 35.38K)

They're both great artistically in their own way. Shame we only ever got adaptations of two novels. Anybody read the books? I have Raiser of Gales, Undead Island and just regular Vampire Hunter D, which I believe the 85 movie was based on.

Attached: Vampire Hunter D (1985) [BD.1080p] [Iznjie Biznjie] [67A57413].mkv_snapshot_00.21.44_[2018.10.30_17.31.15].jpg (1456x1080, 671.65K)

Attached: 1589408675670.webm (920x682, 2.74M)

If we ever got something new out of this series prepare yourself for CG robot horses and general low effort trash.

Attached: 1602106884309.webm (680x504, 2.3M)

I haven't read many books but she is like one of the only female protagonists that hasn't been raped, and she almost got raped.

This is not a universe I would want to live in. You pretty much can't leave the house without getting violently killed by what you thought was grass.

Attached: Vampire Hunter D (1985) [BD.1080p] [Iznjie Biznjie] [67A57413].mkv_snapshot_00.20.23_[2018.10.29_23.19.23].jpg (1456x1080, 736.37K)

I miss golden age Madhouse.

Attached: oedo kill you.gif (500x370, 1012.1K)

Attached: Cyber City.webm (640x480, 1.77M)

>Anybody read the books?
I've read a few over the years. Knock yourself out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vampire_Hunter_D_novels

How is he a narcissist? Everything else might apply though, to various degrees.

They would be a little rough for someone who isn't familiar with Japanese fantasy. They're not bad but some of the action is a little difficult to follow. Characters get built up then die only to be replaced by some new rando who gets the same treatment in a few chapters. Then someone introduced early on disappears for the majority of the book only to show up later and immediately die.
The mixture of fantasy and sci-fi can be jarring too. One minute you're in a dusty old fishing village with archaic technology, the next you're flying around on a hovercraft with arm laser canons snorting trans-dimensional magic dust that allows you to taste time.

that sounds pretty neat

Jesus.
I read the first, second then jumped to the 20th and there was a noticeable drop in quality.

I've read up to vol.29 I think. I like them, but I admit they're not for everyone, and I understand when people think both the writing style and plot are ridiculous.

Nasu probably read these books

Shit just kinda happens and you need to be able to picture a ridiculous oldschool ova/movie in your mind to truly enjoy it.

Wow I thought I was just retarded when I read the books, but holy shit they were so hard to follow what was happening at times so I'm glad its not just me. That isn't to say that they are bad by any means, I really enjoyed them despite my trouble keeping up with the plot at times.
I also remember someone saying that this specific issue due to the translation being kinda shite, is there any credence to that?

I read the first book when I was thirteen or fourteen, but that was over 18 years ago and I don't remember anything besides the fact that I owned and read it. I think it got stolen by a particularly shitty friend I had though.

I did recently pick up the more recent omnibus from Dark Horse that collect the first three books.

>is there any credence to that
Couldn't say but it's a valid point. When you read a translation you're only reading the translator's interpretation of the original story. Sometimes they have translator's notes scattered throughout where they let you know if the author made a continuity error or just has no idea what the fuck is going on.

>animes

Fair enough. IIRC the main complaints over Kevin Leahy's translations are that he has gotten lazy and reuses a lot of the same language without ever switching it up, but I am assuming this extends to the translations as a whole just not having much effort being put into them.
I haven't read any other novels translated from Japanese to English, but I can't imagine they all have this same problem with following the action, otherwise we would be hearing about it much more often. Either the translations suck and/or are lazy, OR Kikuchi's writing style is just fucking bizarre and doesn't translate well which is very possible as well.

What do you expect from the retrofag crowd?

The quality of translation is never going to be on par with something like the English version of a Jules Verne novel.

kino...

Attached: 1617125255802.webm (854x480, 2.92M)

>they dont make vampire animes
ftfy

If nothing else, they're perfect fall reads thanks to Kikuchi's knack for creating atmosphere. I always make it a point to read one every october

They do have sort of similar prose styles, as far as action scenes are concerned

I fucking love the backgrounds in this film

Attached: VHD Bloodlust background - Yuji Ikehata.jpg (1030x940, 741.1K)

I was under the impression that the English translations were made assuming that Jules Verne was a children's author and that they suffered as a result.

Attached: VHD Bloodlust background 2 - Yuji Ikehata.jpg (1030x768, 657.72K)

Attached: VHD Bloodlust background 3 - Yuji Ikehata.jpg (1030x731, 721.59K)

I don't know man. 20,000 leagues gets pretty wild at times. But I don't speak French so who knows if it's even more violent in the original language. Anybody who has seen the very loose adaptation, Nadia, should read it.

Attached: Nadia_The_Secret_of_Blue_Water_Ep21_Goodbye_Nautilus_[1080p,BluRay,x264,flac]_-_THORA.mkv_snapshot_05.04_[2016.12.15_09.57.40].jpg (1440x1080, 139.84K)

He parades around like a pimp daddy. Only someone with his level of self-love would do that.

Attached: VHD Bloodlust.gif (500x273, 995.03K)

He's a hunter, user. Gotta make an impression on potential clients

Attached: VHD Bloodlust castle.jpg (640x360, 19.02K)

I probably would too if I was an immortal overpowered sex god vampire.

Been thinking about watching Bloodlust with mom this Halloween. She has some level of tolerance for anime. I've heard other anons say it's mom safe.

it was made for the mass appeal burger audience.

I would too if I looked like that.

It's certainly more mom safe than the 85 movie. Plus it has a love subplot, so your mom might dig that.

Does she like Anne Rice?

>hes not a gary stu

Read the novels.

And he still can't beat his dad.

Even people living in D's universe don't want to be there. Too bad they're stuck on the Sacred Ancestor's wild ride.