Average 22-minute 720p anime then: 200MB

>Average 22-minute 720p anime then: 200MB
>Average 22-minute 720p anime now: 700MB
Why is this happening? I thought all these new codecs and shit were supposed to make file sizes smaller, not three to four times larger?

Attached: 1649976611571.png (1200x600, 75.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lHLpKzUxjGk?t=2532
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

storage got cheaper
bandwidth got larger
autists got worse

>Why is this happening?
all because of one fat ugly bald man

Because most encoders have no idea what the fuck they are doing and majority of those 700MB could be much smaller with the same quality.

There is also no incentive to reduce size because internet speeds are so high compared to back then that it doesn't matter.

Daiz....

if you don't want to download 1 season of anime at 50 gb you are literally a 3rd worlder

just delete after watching

>most encoders have no idea what the fuck they are doing
retard here, what is there to know? don't you just set like a bit depth or sth and hit "encode"?

>every group is coalgirls now
It was inevitable

I only download ASW which is 200-300 MB

>storage got cheaper
considering HDDs are nearly phased-out and you generally only want SSDs not really

>anime then: 200MB
i think you mean 15mb real player format

Attached: 1643061368516.jpg (480x473, 85.93K)

When did he get fat?

I hated BloatedGirls so fucking much

That's on you mang, i bought a case a month ago and it came with 10 hdd slots, and at work we just bought a pair of 10TB drives for file storage. SSDs are totally unnecessary for holding video files, get yourself a tenth of a petabyte of storage, no one can stop you

pfffhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha spoiled brat eat shit

And the difference in vid quality is barely worth it. Audio I understand, torrents back in the day rarely sprung for more than 128kb/s stereo, but even now the same autismos that claim to care about quality will put a low quality audio track in.

Anyone remember those secretmyth encodes of bluray movies? Were like 750MB per hour and still mog streaming services at 720p-1080p

We're talking 720p user

>crf13
My brother in christ why in inshallah would anyone do this

L O S S L E S S (except for all the encoding done by the streaming service you ripped it from)

Comcast/xfinity, an American (1st world) company has a 1tb data cap in many parts of the country

You're a fucking retard if you use SSDs for mass video storage.

>anons used to think official subs were any good

Attached: Screenshot_20220419_045804.jpg (1080x710, 194.98K)

I can download stuff in less than 5 seconds why can't you?
>storage
Cheap. They sell REDs at 80 bucks (4TBs) each. Buy like 4 and never worry about stupid shit like storage again.

>comcast
>first world
Brother even fucking charter doesn't have a data cap. Jesus.

For streamed shit you won't notice if you throw crf 23 on x265.

To be fair, the quality of professional subs has dropped massively. Companies license way more shows now, which costs more up front and also results in more thinly spread out budgets for each individual show.

for the encoder's ego my brother

My brothers in Islam why does a ripped stream need to be re encoded?

I use Centurylink aka DSL and there is no cap limit. I had this with Cable and honestly i will say DSL is extremely consistent compared to what it use to be decades ago. If you can not get that, then try T-Mobile 5G Modem plan even that only throttles but does not charge more if you go past the speed barrier.

My pc respects my physical space by not being a big chungy

To put the quality back in

T-mobile coverage is shit in my area. Can dsl do 300mb/s? Cuz I can't bring myself to give that up

Japan has always lived on the margin's in terms of Anime, but in recent years licensers have been putting more money into the license purchases due to the anime industry explaining why they need to pay more for the licenses to hire more animators in the industry.

If you're in any urban environment you should have a decent 5g option, if you're somewhere sparser maybe look at Starlink

>download 12-episode 1080p anime
>3gb
>download another 12-episode 1080p anime from the same group
>15gb

Attached: 1571505742473.jpg (167x182, 12.95K)

>I thought all these new codecs and shit were supposed to make file sizes smaller, not three to four times larger?
It's always a tradeoff.
Bigger file leads to the better quality and the ease of decompression.
My guess is that these 720p streams are ripped directly from Crunchyroll or something, and they in turn use these to ensure a decent quality without lags even on a weakest hardware.
Could be wrong, though.

if im ever tight on storage i just dl from animepahe, the encodes are like 200mb for 1080p

Attached: 70574fe577a26b8da0bdc804fa803688.gif (498x280, 3.04M)

They do have Fiber service in most City areas and have been expanding in recent years. For me i live outside the city and for my usage i get 60mbps which is soon going to be upgraded to 100mbps or more thanks to DSL making inroads through upgrading their infrastructure now. Also reminder though other phone companies do have 5G modem's now with Verizon, AT&T but that will be a few years out due to them being behind on T-Mobile's expansion.

Last time i talked to the guy doing licensing for Funimation the price increase was pretty much entirely because streaming created a bidding war for everything. I'd bet it drops again now than Sony has monopolized the American dub industry

Those double-digit gig downloads always leave me scratching my head.
I mean, I have a glut of storage space, but damn dude.

So vid sites buffering all the time back in the day was because of shit decoding/decompression?

Hows the audio bitrates? Anything below 256 makes my penis retract

If you're that poor, just stream and lie on Yea Forums.
Or download Ohys-raws and use animetosho for the subs file, or download ASW releases.
Or better yet, search for AV1 and watch how shit the playback is on your craptop. but somehow not in your smartphone.

birthrates have been falling unfortunately

This is kind of the case, but also realize that Japan now controls Netflix with Netflix Japan and no longer has to do it through Netflix itself anymore. As for bidding wars, i agree that is temporary, but also this creates competition in the sense that they have to actually pay for once in order to compete than to pay low for licenses to get onto the platform. Also do not forget that Anime has 2 licenses, the Home Distribution licenses, the Streaming Licenses. They can choose to go with Netflix on a temporary exclusive deal and then keep the licenses and bring it to home distribution or move to another streaming platform.

crf 23 on x265 is like crf 18 on x264

>muh poor
You're completely missing the point, you absolute retarded baboon.
It's not about the ability to afford storage, but efficiency. Bloated shit isn't optimal.

Because we all didn't believe in Daiz.

Probably not.
It was most likely a combination of your channel being shit, the compression being less than stellar and the lack of local cache server that is located in rack near your provider or the provider of your provider.
Most of the load-anything streaming services like youtube oprimise for bandwidtch, quality be damned.
youtu.be/lHLpKzUxjGk?t=2532

wait, who does that?
I only know about blu-ray bloat-encodes and streaming micro-encodes

when storage is not a factor, highest quality is optimal
no matter how diminishing the returns are

I hope you're not in a managerial position.

>no cap
fr fr

>Buy like 4 and never worry about stupid shit like storage again
Not him, but I have a 6 Tb share that is almost full.

Kek

>If you're that poor
I'm somewhat poor, although I have a job and no life so I'm not hurting for storage.
It still irks me.

>encoding thread
Let me take this opportunity to give y'all a PSA:
If you want the best quality from weekly streaming *, you should take the 2160p HEVC bilibili rips from NanDesuKa **.
>resolution more than double the native resolution -> no upscaling artifacts
>highest resultion -> highest bitrate -> least encoding artifacts
>native HEVC -> both smaller size AND better quality than AVC

* inb4 "if you want any semblance of quality just wait for the blu-rays, streams are always all shit"

** That's assuming you watch anime on a 1080p or smaller screen, and your player will downscale the noisy upscaled video to a crisp sane-resolution one. But if you have some ultra-high-resolution screen, you probably have your own perfected autism filter settings already anyway.

>native hevc
Does that mean ur guy doesn't re encode?

Fansubs vs rips. Fansubbed 720p these days is still around 200mb.

4x4 is 16. That's like 12,800 hours of anime

It's in a first world country

What groups/subbers?

People put other shit on their media drives too you know.