Does the majority of manga suck?

I've read about 37 manga series so far and only 3 imo I liked enough to buy. When I used to see large manga collections online (reddit, youtube hauls) I would be envious but now I see them and feel nothing as the majority of manga is either mid or poor (not interesting, bad ending, not completed, etc). What do you guys think? All manga spaces online seem to be a little cultish and I want to hear from those who have unpopular opinions regarding the medium. If I had continued collecting as a child I would have a massive bookcase full of manga but now I'm a little older a small box of curated titles is more fitting.

Attached: 524d1c37896a2c18c86934d77ad4fc64.jpg (713x768, 166.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anilist.co/
anime-planet.com/
mangaupdates.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Most everything sucks in every media. You have to mine out the diamonds by reading 1000s. You can usually tell within a couple minutes whether a manga is trash though compared to invest half an hour in a show.

Obviously the average manga will be even worse than the average anime because the barrier to entry is so much lower. The internet has only made that worse with pixiv and twitter webcomics being counted. You just have to read a lot.

if you don't like mainstream manga you should look for underground or retro manga before judging it all
if you do some research you are sure to find some things you'd be interested in reading

>Does the majority of manga suck?
>I've read about 37 manga

Attached: 1229015529191.jpg (224x220, 41.85K)

>I've read about 37 manga series so far
>curated titles
How on earth would you have "curated" anything with 37 series read?

That applies to all fiction, there's like three movies that are not garbage and at most 12 books

>there's like three movies that are not garbage
A man after my heart

Attached: file.png (1342x679, 1.31M)

>I've read about 37 manga series so far
>mid

Attached: 1644391039861.png (628x415, 50.24K)

lol how much manga series have you guys read?

lurk a million years more faggit

That just means you are very bad at selecting what to read.

Yeah that's why disposable manga magazines are popular in Japan

most boring manga collection on earth

America licenses only shonenshit from Japan. Meanwhile, France literally licenses any manga from Japan even manga with short stories. France will also license art books or data books from manga artists.

heh

The sole purpose of anime is an advertisement for the manga so if I like an anime, I’ll buy the manga.

Where do you buy french versions of books?

in french bookstores

I started reading manga less than 2 years ago. I've still got a massive backlog, not to mention all the untranslated stuff out there that I'll get to read once I learn Japanese.
You either suck at choosing what to read, or manga isn't the medium for you.

Attached: 1630128388188.png (363x138, 6.49K)

How much of that did you actually enjoy/ worth purchasing? Anyone can read a ton of manga

just a random pic from google. hope you retards don't actually think it's mine

>How much of that did you actually enjoy
Almost everything, I drop stuff I don't enjoy very quickly. I don't read romcoms or isekai in case you're wondering.
>worth purchasing
I'm only willing to pay for my absolute favorites, so probably 20-30% I guess?

How the fuck? Over 15 years, I've picked up around 300 titles and dropped well over 200, finished maybe 50 and genuinely loved less than 20.

manga for manga's sake isn't a good thing

i'd say only 10% of the manga you read are good enough to buy, so your projection isn't bad, but yeah read more manga

I don't read for reading's sake, I don't get what you're trying to say here.

Isn't it just obvious that some people like manga more than you? My Tachiyomi library is at 1.5k plus a lot of one shots I don't add and I've liked the majority of the ones I've read.

~150 just because I read slowly and in general don't binge manga or anime even though I've been into both for a long time. Have about 100 on my to read list, some of which don't have translations so I'm trying to read some Japanese manga as well to hopefully learn enough Japanese to read manga comfortably.

first of all, fuck off Yea Forums is not your blog
second, please provide examples before posting

I just legitimately can't fathom how. I mean, to pick up such absurd numbers of series, you really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel in addition to the popular stuff, and most of that shit really is fucking bland trash

That's not even that much what the hell are you talking about.

A little off topic but is anybody else really good at telling when they'll enjoy something?

I think this type of shitpost is categorized as "stealth rec thread" what do you guys think?

It's not very common that I don't enjoy something at least a little bit. I can usually find something to enjoy about something. I don't know if this is more because I'm good at picking things I'll enjoy or if I just don't have too strict taste.

The majority of people suck and have never created anything of value, the people who create art aren't some sort of statistical anomaly as if all the worthwhile humans were artists.

You should meditate on what you've just said just now, you clearly don't like manga.

Would it help to know that of the manga I read at most 50 are weekly series? I think Keijo might be the only thing I've read from the 2 big weekly magazines.
When the average series I read has single digit volumes it isn't really that much, and instead of scraping the barrel I just feel like I need to learn Japanese to even get to the middle of it.

You act like manga is one single entity that you either like or don't like. As if there wasn't huge variety in styles and quality

I have very broad taste that spans many genres. So rather than trying to find the one series out of thousands that appeals to my narrow interests like the average autist on Yea Forums, I'm more likely to simply pick something up and try reading a few chapters if it seems even halfway interesting, which applies to a majority of manga that enter my awareness. So for me the relevant skill for winnowing out bad picks is the opposite. I don't look for "good" titles, I assume titles are interesting by default, and learn to recognize the red flags for series I should avoid.

That makes even less sense. Where do you look for new titles to read if you don't even follow magazines?

If you hate 99% of something, then it's pretty fair to say you don't like it, generally speaking. You are like the usual type of transient fan that only has an interest in a handful of specific, narrow genres. You quickly exhaust the list of titles that conform to your narrow interests then eventually get bored and move on.

I read one chapter of manga per week on average
all good manga are monthly and there are not many of them

Not him, but
anilist.co/
anime-planet.com/
mangaupdates.com/
Is where I find 90% of what I read, they've got really good tag systems and baka-updates lets you filter to show only stuff that's completely scanlated. That other 10% is lurking here.
>if you don't even follow magazines
Finished manga aren't in magazines anymore, I don't get why this would be essential.

You don't hear about the shit ones. There are thousands of absolute garbage webcomic-tier series out there.

>37
Come back when you've read 3700

99% of everything is shit.

Manga might be my favorite medium though.

I do sometimes search by magazine, just all of them are monthly. The reason it's barely ended up been weekly magazines is they mostly seem to be action shit and romcoms.
In the same way I can pick series before an anime season starts it isn't hard to pick series from just a cover and synopsis. If your favourite genre is mystery or something I imagine that'd be harder but it usually works for what I like.

Attached: Japanese Tits.png (1350x480, 1015.26K)

>it's pretty fair to say you don't like it, generally speaking
lol no. Why force such a weird black-white division?

How do you even follow magazines if most of them aren't completely translated like WSJ is? I do have more of an awareness of what magazine a manga I'm reading came from than most people but, not knowing Japanese, I can't really follow any of those magazines entirely because most manga from them aren't translated. I look through sites like posted a lot as well as sometimes seeing something interesting posted on Yea Forums.

I've heard people unironically look through the mangadex new releases feed

I've only read 3, and one of those was SnK. I'm more of a LN reader.

Attached: 1.jpg (1438x2048, 495.12K)

>I can't really follow any of those magazines entirely because most manga from them aren't translated.
It's not like you have to read EVERYTHING printed. Most interesting series generally get picked up by fan translators before long, and there's more than enough TL'd stuff available to care about what little is left out. Or at least that's how it used to be. The scanlation scene has admittedly withered to a shadow of what it used to be before publishers started their own services.

Yea Forums barely talks about manga these days, I gave up on this place for recommendations years ago.

french comics are better

You follow the magazine to see what you'd want to read in an ideal world where you knew Japanese and then just follow the stuff that gets scanlated (and then also put the things that haven't been picked up yet but may someday in your follows). That's just if you refuse to learn Japanese.

>pic
Oh crap, I forgot this even existed. Looks like it ended in March.

My favorite part about manga is that most of them suck balls I sometimes read a whole series and then on the last chapter I realize that I didn't enjoy a single second of it, but it felt good just to read it. I love manga so much that it's fun burning through 30 bad ones to find one amazing one

Attached: 1649062249581.jpg (1107x1280, 107.64K)

Volume 9 has been translated, and there's one more to go. I really enjoyed it, loved the anime too.

Attached: Sounan Desu Ka 9.jpg (1600x2278, 709.24K)

You found 3 worth owning? Doing better than me, I just found 1.
Anyone who has shelves of manga, has low standards, too much money, or thinks buying stuff is a hobby.

227, OP is full of shit

There's a difference between people who buy shit and people who are actually collecting stuff. Collection is a worthwhile pursuit but just randomly buying shit (like people who have pull-lists) is retarded.

yes
Only One Piece is good