Shoujo Kageki: Revue Starlight

Holy shit this was really good, wish I had watched it earlier. Nice Utena-Madoka-Tutu-Aikatsu hybrid anime.
Most surprising is that the animation quality kept up and stayed high throughout the entire run, when I saw the fight in the first epsiode I expected slideshows by epsiode 6 but every epsiode maintained quality up until the end.

I didn't see the movie yet though.

Attached: Revue Starlight - S01E10.mkv_snapshot_14.57_[2022.04.11_00.42.52].jpg (1920x1080, 280.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kUuL6pO1ZD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'd say there's a little dip with Star Divine, but that's more an issue of it being weird from a narrative perspective than a production flaw.

>I didn't see the movie yet though.
Your note for going into it: the show ending ties up all the plot threads it left hanging, and this is important for how the finale is set up. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it.

Anyway, Love Cobra waiting room.

Attached: AE65N2A3tERMu5K7rQJdWAYD4cwD6jrMypXoBwbgKKQ.jpg (1050x2048, 116.05K)

You gotta watch the movie asap

Attached: 1630094784528.png (1200x1206, 1017.32K)

>I didn't see the movie yet though.
Watch the recap movie first. It has some additional scenes with Banana, that lead into the movie quite nicely.

Star divine is the episode where the series gets weaker for me. I fucking love the show, but the Star Divine revue, and the episodes after with Karen's introspection is a definite decline in quality for me. Even rewatching it after the movie and getting more context for Karen's character, it's still definitely not as good. Maybe I'm just disappointed that the 2v2 revue didn't live up animation wise to Re:Create though

It's mostly because, even with context that Karen shouldn't be as bad of a performer, it still doesn't feel justified that she can be on par with Claudine and Maya. With Hikari it's quite believable, because she was introduced as being a top tier performer, but later we learned she had lost her brilliance in an audition back in London, which is why she had been doing bad until her Revue with Nana, when she recovered her brilliance. But with Karen it's just harder to feel hyped for her victory over Maya, because it feels quite unfair and unearned. I mean, even if in the movie we learned that Karen had also spent years practising, so had Maya and Claudine.

I actually like the introspective episode even without the movie context, as well as the final revue.

The issue I have with Star Divine is that most revues are about one specific thing. The Star Knows is about Junna's sense of inadequacy in terms of how hard she works, Koi no Makyuu is about Mahiru being a yandere badly, that sort of thing. Star Divine is about two things: both resolving Karen's growth from when she got whipped in Pride and Arrogance, and also resolving Claudine's inferiority complex. That leaves it being a bit of a mess, which is also why the symbolism (and thus the visuals) end up being weak compared to all the others.

Attached: FAAUH6a9.jpg (2797x1865, 1.99M)

Karen's victories is one that makes more sense when you think about her as the perspective character. In her first year's festival, she got one of the eight leading roles in their performance of Starlight, out of a class of 30. The reason she looks so bad in her practice is because that's how she thinks of herself, even when that contradicts her actual performance.

It's a bit weird, but so is the giraffe telling the viewers that we'll be dubbing the London scenes in Japanese for convenience.

Attached: 69804020_p0.png (3538x2500, 3.18M)

The first episode fight and the transformation scene are #1 in my top kino moments ever. Rewatched it like 100 times. The movie really comes close though.

I think Karen standing on par with Claudine and Maya is pretty believable, thematically speaking. Revue of Fate isn't really just about ability, it's also about passion, and Karen, with Hikari at her side and Starlight within reach, it's not hard to believe that that allowed her to get the last push she needed to overcome the two top stars, in that particular moment. I do agree that it didn't feel as hype though. It was just okay, below what you'd expected out of Revue coming from the first 9 episodes, specially coming after the two Nana episodes

Attached: ReCreate.png (1920x1080, 1.75M)

Where are the Love Cobra news fuckers

Karen was bringing them, but she fell and dropped them.

In may, probably.

The closest you get until then is trying to figure out what on Furukawa's twitter account is actually relevant in between him assembling furniture and complaining about meetings. The only one I've seen being some comments about nightmare-like animation being good and also cheap.

there's a delayed stream in april 30th for the seiyuu orchestra live, that's the next date to look forward to till the one in the train, 5/24/2022

I know, she looked bad at the beginning of the anime because she had, essentially, given up (and was probably depressed). But, even before she had given up, it doesn't seem as if she was quite on par with Claudine and Maya.

But that's assuming Claudine and Maya had no passion on their own. They weren't just robots on a stage, but actual people with hopes, dreams and thus their own motivation.
Of course, I'm not saying Karen and Hikari should have lost, since they're the protagonists, but I would have hoped for a better transition between "Karen is lazy" to "Karen was actually quite good too."

The first time you see the revue in episode one is fucking breathtaking. If there was ever a show I could remove from my brain and experience for the first time all over again, it is definitely Revue.

The sudden genre change from SOL with a theater kid gimmick to an ikuhara-esque allegorical duel as a backdrop of character development, to the fucking batshit insanity of Nana's episode 7 that recontextualizes the series, to the visual spectacle of Starlight, to Rondo Rondo Rondo's death of a stage girl, to the entirety of the movie, everything is just a treat to experience the first time.

Attached: hikarijunna.webm (1280x720, 2.58M)

how the fuck did the 9 manage to explain to amemiya and masai that they wanted to add not only an extra goddess to Starlight, but they also wanted to shoehorn in a fucking giraffe in their play. Forget revision, that's straight up fanfiction with OCs at that point

The b-gumis are just as deranged as the a-gumis.

From what I remember of older theater, that's actually more traditional. The scripts we have are the comprehensive ones, but a lot of troupes would trim off what they didn't like or add in extra scenes they thought of. It's also possible that Starlight is just a niche enough play that it doesn't have a single formal adaptation, which lets the director play with it a lot more.

Also this.
>we didn't write an ending, figure it out

So, what did the B-gumis do exactly? Were they the girls who didn't want to be actresses but were more interested in direction and logistics?

They're the ones who actually make the plays work. They do everything that isn't prancing around on stage.

>It's also possible that Starlight is just a niche enough play
given the class' reaction to the Starlight play, and that it was built up to be the big thing for Seisho, I don't think Starlight is niche at all. Though the class is, by definition, full of theater nerds

On a related note, has there ever been an official publication of the Starlight story as done by the the cast in Seisho's 98th year? Given what we know, I'd actually be interested in what Flora and Claire's story is, since it kinda sounds like a reimagined story of Orpheus.

Directors, costume design, set design, lighting, sound, apparently some script writing as well. If the party scene from the movie is any indication, they even do some of the hands-on stuff.

The weird thing to me is that Seisho doesn't have a department for people who would be going into the orchestra, although that could be handled by a music school they partner with.

Attached: Banana-gumi.png (1920x1080, 2.22M)

You'd think a school literally calling itself a Musical Academy would show at least a few scenes of non-vocal music classes

They keep the music goblins locked up, out of sight.

no it wasn't
karen ruins everything

Most of the class knew it, but remember that Kaoruko and Futaba, who are our only non-theater background characters, had no idea what the hell it was.

I saw one person compile everything we've seen from the book and the script, but it's not exactly comprehensive.

Why does maya and claudine get special treatment and have a room all to themselves. That's just unfair

They're just that good.

Would people want to watch a Starlight stream together in June, date of the year after the movie aired?

Attached: 91e618e4682d61e5ada6cb7e35effcef.png (1140x752, 267.66K)

There's still empty rooms, since Hikari moves into a single before deciding to join the Menage a Trois. Everyone else we see likes their roommates, so it makes sense they'd take the doubles instead of spreading out.

That would be nice.

Attached: EgqsymxUYAEi6IP.jpg (1144x1426, 141.5K)

The new movie ruined everything about the main series. Music sucks and feels soulless compared to the anime too. This is one of those cases where a continuation ruined the work. Makes me sad because I used to enjoy the franchise a lot but now it's dead to me.

hahahaha holy shit absolute filtered status, 10/10 got me to reply

Count me in.

On the contrary, i think this movie is one of the, if not the best, sequel an anime series ever had.

>Nice Utena-Madoka-Tutu-Aikatsu hybrid anime.
Go back to twitter, fag

Alright, I threw this together. I wanted to use wakarimasu as the channel name, but apparently that was already taken. The movie aired on June 4th which, conveniently, is a Saturday this year. Hopefully we'll find enough interest over the next month.

Attached: stream.jpg (1920x1080, 256.7K)

Niceee, already saved it

I also wanted to use this as the background, but I felt it was too jarring.

Attached: [Ripple] Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight [01] [BD 1080p FLAC].mkv-00:20:32.940.png (1920x1080, 2.41M)

Attached: 351f51004bc7e9a76351edca4da7c84e.jpg (832x468, 74.87K)

Attached: 1558156443104.jpg (1224x1190, 129.21K)

Dai banan.

If we get to the point that we can adjust the Ikuhara bingo sheet for Furukawa, one of the spaces is probably going to be "euphemism for a penis".
>Big Banana
>Love Cobra

Attached: aqccRSQ.png (1920x1080, 2.73M)

Hikari's little dagger is tasty.

Attached: 1641148761101.jpg (1440x810, 71.72K)

Sorry, there's only one person who gets to be penetrated with Hikari's dagger.

Attached: penetration.png (1920x1080, 763.31K)

banana best girl!

bookmarked

I guess the only doubts I have about hosting the stream is the length of it. Both the original anime and the new movie are a necessity. Rondo Rondo Rondo is right out, but I can cut together the original scenes that had for it and add it to the playlist. Would people be willing to watch the anime and the movie after? It's a big time commitment.

Attached: 1621890981138.png (1000x600, 380.94K)

I could see an argument for spacing it out. Maybe splitting it 1-7, 8-12, Movie with the Rondo scenes inserted at their appropriate breaks, and spread that across different days so it's easier for people to catch all of it.

Then again, it's scheduled for a saturday and I'd bet everyone who will watch it will have seen it already, so there's no issue with people missing things if they leave and rejoin.

Host's choice, but I see benefits to either.

Attached: 2zznm4547ps21.jpg (1080x1073, 115.99K)

>Host's choice
I am the host, which is why I'm asking for opinions.

Attached: a397319416482a0eb14300f5388e48a1.png (755x574, 329.66K)

this isn't nearly as good as any of those shows. bland characters, hideous designs, stupid premise.

I meant it as me being fine with either, since I would be able to watch it all in one block, but I get why breaking it up might be a good call when the total content will be something like 7.5 hours.

If you do it in parts, I stand by that the first act should end with episode 7, even if that makes them lopsided.

Attached: EUW0Q3iUMAEuj34.jpg (2048x1443, 489.67K)

Maybe a poll is necessary. Maybe not in this thread, but a future one, perhaps.

Attached: 1597335962418.png (400x385, 161.72K)

Karen is cool.

Attached: 20210429_092640.jpg (2480x3507, 659.5K)

We should have more Love Cobra news before it by over a week, and that would make the threads a little more alive, so I'd ask then.

Attached: E-tNe8-UYAI5pvG.jpg (601x900, 95.89K)

The KuroMaya scene after the revue completely stole the spotlight which made it harder to buy into Karen and Hikari having more passion.

>I'd bet everyone who will watch it will have seen it already
To add onto that, I just did a stream for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and there was still a handful of people who were watching it for the first time. You can always count on a few new people when you stream something.

Attached: uncensored lesbian orgy.webm (1920x1080, 462.07K)

youtube.com/watch?v=kUuL6pO1ZD0

WATASHITACHI WA BUTAI SHOUJO

You guys hyped for the Penguindrum movie? I know there's significant overlap in fanbase here.
Is there even a name for this genre typical of Ikuhara and Sato works where the symbolism IS the setting? (Think Utena, MPD, or Tutu)

I'm looking forward to it, but also staying a little skeptical. Ikuhara's last couple of works have been alright but not really as good as Penguindrum and Utena, and just from the trailers there's going to be new scenes added. Hopefully the new ideas help elevate it instead of just making it messier.

As for the genre, I call it surrealism but I'm sure I'm misusing that word and there's a proper film term for it.