Have you read it? What’s your honest opinion of it?

Have you read it? What’s your honest opinion of it?

Attached: 00A4ACBC-B766-410F-B57E-CDE69747F908.jpg (446x687, 21.97K)

No, and I never will. Get fucked women writers, get fucked Canadacucks, get fucked contemporary literature.

Sounds like you're the one who needs to get fucked lol

>i-i-if you don't like muh contemporary literature i-it means you n-need to have sex!!!!
My girlfriend is coming over on Friday and we'll spend the weekend together. I'll read her an ancient play (last time I read her Medea and she loved it), and I'll take her to a museum. Meantime, you'll be on here dilating and coping, reading subpar literature and meditating how you get BTFO every day on 4channel. Sayonara loser!

New pasta just dropped.

No, I started with another work of hers, forgot the title, and it pretty much killed any desire to read more.
I don't have problems with female authors, I do not have problems with female protagonists, what I do have problems with are "oh woe is me" Mary Sues being the focus and characters being walking cliches to the point where they feel cartoonish.

>woman author
Lol pass

He’s right, if she used a male pen name she’d be unknown

I finished it very recently user!

I found it very funny how despite being literally forced at gunpoint to act modest and cover up Offred STILL tries to act like a slut for random strangers. Given that this was written by a women I think it tells us a lot about how women view sexuality. Oh of course, it's a powerful and brave reclamation of the sexuality that was taken from her, but imagine for a second if the author was a man. It very quickly becomes how all women are insatiable whores who even on pain of death still go around asking for it.

I found the quasi stream of consciousness way of Atwood's writing odd. It feels like if I presented this to my teacher they'd lecture me for using too many commas. I also found most of it to be boring. Not so boring that I wasn't going to finish it, but generally the only interesting parts were scenes with the commander. Now, if Atwood deliberately wrote it so the reader ends up wanting the women to shut the fuck up so we can get back to the men, then honestly that's a stroke of genius. However, I have my doubts about that one.

My favourite parts were her being raped, and the commander wanting someone to play Scrabble with. I was also intrigued by the power structures: how her commander was at the very top of Gilead and how Nick has enough authority in the Eyes to be giving orders.

My search of trying to find a female author who isn't obsessed with love, sex, women or relationships continues.

Attached: 1651979391200~2.png (937x1323, 538.13K)

>that pic

Attached: 1624543661370.jpg (779x900, 172.24K)

I read it in 2017 and haven't thought about it much since. It's actually kinda surprising that there's some interesting shit in there that's not as black and white as you might expect.

There's some guy who gets falsely accused of rape and gets savagely killed by a bunch of repressed women.
The main character's mother is some joyless lesbian commissar who hates men but she lives vicariously through her heterosexual daughter who lives in a conventional nuclear family (this shit's in the flashbacks).
A lot of the female characters get off on titillating the low-status males of the social order.

There were a couple of other things in there that surprised me, but generally it's just low quality literature and completely unbelievable. I found it difficult to suspend my disbelief because the whole setup is completely preposterous. It's in every way inferior and lacking in any real insight or social comment compared with the big dystopian fiction like Zamyatin, Orwell, and Huxley. It's really just a mediocre and derivative work and another embarrassing insight into woman's inability to think beyond sex and reproduction.

I read it for uni and I found it mostly boring, does not have much interesting to say especially compared to other famous dystopian novels.

I read it but didn't like the writing style.

>global plague causes right wing coup in the us

Yeah, she sure was way off there.

Imagine thinking that game ending 90% of current American politicians is anything but an objectively good thing.

>Medea
>unironically enjoying Tyler Perry
Get better taste

Not reading your post but in reference to the pic this isn't female-specific. Guarantee if you post a young female serial killer here the only replies will be anons wanting to fuck her. Humans in general are extremely stupid when they're horny.

I'm seriously wondering about Poe's law here.

>that pic

And I was just getting over my suicidal ideation. Thanks user.

Fetish material and erotica pretending to be criticism and political commentary.
Yes I havent read it, but thats the only impression I can get after watching videos on it and seeing every woman bring it up when it comes to abortion

Sorry does, but Jeffery Dahmer was gay and only went for POC males.

MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT SITL I JUST WANTED TO HE HAPPY WHY DO WOMEN WANT ME TO RAPE AND KILL THEM IT ISN'T FAIR

At least this dumb broad had the good sense to hate islam unlike the majority of her fellow hole-havers.

The book isn’t that well written. It’s like Cormac Mcarthy rambling with punctuation (although to defend McCarthy his prose is mainly descriptive which it succeeds in, whereas in this book it is very dull and is used for exposition primarily). I understand her point about how women are treated but her choice to express this through sexuality and childbirth are completely self defeating. Gilead has a compelling an extremely urgent reason to oppress women in this manner. So of all things to explore in this universe to make her point this one was definitely the most baffling.
The part of the book that I really enjoyed was the epilogue. The parts about “Fred” deliberately allowing women to rip people to shreds to release their frustrations and naming the Auntys after well known and comforting consumer items were actually quite compelling. But other than that it wasn’t that good

laughed out loud

I was bricked up most the time when I was reading it, it's a nice fantasy

I know you're trying to flex, but no girl wants a book read to her. Me and my girlfriend always catch up on the weekend about what we've been reading (she's reading some shite called the lighthouse) but no girl wants a play read to her. You live in a fantasy, or you're a cuck

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his girlfriend is autistic

VD0G

Attached: 1513920633349.jpg (500x417, 33.49K)

>A lot of the female characters get off on titillating the low-status males of the social order.

Why? Don't they realize that those men are the victims of the system too, their instinctual desire for sex, intimacy, and reproduction being abused by the regime to further its own ends by promising them women if they work hard enough?

List of things dudes care about when deciding to fuck a woman:
1) Is she hot?
2) Seriously bro how hot is she?
Women are the ones that are burdened with having to judge their quarry's character and the likelihood he'll murder them. We just gotta blast

there is no girlfriend

Attached: 1434201116915.jpg (346x346, 48.27K)

>likelihood he'll murder them
No man (save for the unironically deranged) have any interest in killing women, men are genetically programmed to avoid hurting women for real.

>woman's inability to think beyond sex and reproduction.
I think women are fully capable of doing this but are never compelled to do so by a society that values them solely for their ability to make dicks hard and then pop out babies. Men never have things handed to them so life is non stop series of attempting to learn and do things, girls turn 12 and forget to progress mentally because there's no reason to

Killing your wife is like a whole genre of jokes it's clearly on a lot of normal men's minds

Have you ever noticed how sexual infidelity is almost exclusively the reason behind those cases?

Just like 1984 it's a "fiction" that's fast becoming a reality due to the Retrumpicans.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 5.74K)

I don't have to read it- I'm living it. Since states can decide for themselves whether women can kill their children, America is now Gilead.

>Just like 1984 it's a "fiction" that's fast becoming a reality due to the Retrumpicans
Biden is the one who set up a Ministry of Truth, retard; Nina even has what looks like the 1984 salute as her Twitter header. Liberal totalitarianism comes by way of pseudo-technocracy corrupted via ideological lines (i.e. promoting incompetent idiots because they first and foremost check the proper identitarian boxes) whereas conservative totalitarianism evolves out of unchecked populism (i.e. overriding traditional gatekeepers).

Attached: cringe sister.jpg (1311x1206, 269.46K)

Lol didn't read white bois will be a minority in your country in 30 years.

>Uhhh...R-R-RACIST!
>DIDN'T READ! DIDN'T READ!
>RACIST
Pathetic. Idiots like you are the reason for the descent. Congrats.

Attached: nina.jpg (2750x1196, 1.37M)

There's a lot of powerful truth in it

Someone post the pasta about Handmaid's Tale and how nobody wants to use modern women's bodies.

Read it in high school but can't remember the plot really at all. From what I remember at the time it was okay but not very impressive especially compared to the other stuff we read. Wouldn't bother reading it again.

Certainly not worthy of the cosplay type stuff Lefty women do although my understanding is that's more because there was a TV show or movie adaptation recently or something which I also have zero interest in watching.

Handmaid's Tale is meant to reassure every wretched office worker who goes home to a cat, a VCR, and a pizza-for-one that her life is noble and progressive. Handmaid's Tale is a fun horror-fiction for women who work in the American-style cubicle-world precisely because it's so utterly unrelated to the miseries and terrors of their own lives. No one wants to force middle-class American women to have babies. In fact, it's almost impossible for them to contemplate having kids because they're terrified that it might set them back in their careers, and their rivals in the adjacent cubicles would grab their parking spaces and health plans. Nobody wants to use their bodies. That's precisely the horror with which they live; no one wants to mate with them because in their world, every single striver must fear every mother, and the sort of joint action involved in mating and rearing one's young is impossible—laughable, a thing which only those who have abandoned the hope of A Career can contemplate. So in their minds, mating and rearing children moves down in class, becoming a thing for rednecks and (though they'll never say this part out loud) immigrants-of-color. The desire to have children gets bounced outside oneself, onto these lesser beings, and returns, courtesy of Atwood in demonized form as the tyranny of procreation, family values, and the patriarchy. It's the horror they love to fear.

oh nooooooo!! im a poor innocent woman and i have to be a submissive breeding partner for rich powerful high status men!! haha what a horrifying fate this is haha

>projecting

Orwell could have never predicted this

Could he have predicted the head of the Ministry of Truth claiming she's received a plethora of "dick picks" and repeatedly using the term "engagement boner" though?

Attached: engagement boner.jpg (886x1788, 770.77K)

Hybristophilia is a female phenomenon, sorry bro.

Yeah but you and your girlfriend are both retarded

This, my gf sends me playslists but I've never listened to any of that shit. I don't ain't listening to Heft Coast bitch I only like dumbass noise rock and the most ignorant shit Chicago had to offer.

You have to remember though, Margaret Atwood doesn’t even think highly of her own novel. She thinks this one was amateurish and has illusion this novel compares to any of the top tier dystopian novels you mentioned. You have to separate the author from the insane idiots who only read this and Harry Potter. The best part is Atwood is a 90 year old, old school feminist and her opinion of trannys is far more hurtful than anything innocuous stuff Rowling says

My girlfriend described the show to me and it sounds like it sucks

Ngl I was thinking how kino it would be to read some lit on a date with my girl but now you've given me some perspective, thank you

I think it's good, just not for all the reasons it's meant to be.

People go on and on about how the politics and scenario aren't plausible. Which I mostly agree with. So much so that when I read it my brain tried to make the premise more plausible, and I somehow misread it and thought Gilead was meant to be a small anomaly, like the size of a New England state maybe in a balkanized US.

But even accepting it's meant to be the whole US and the premise is a real long shot, fine, it doesn't seem likely even in the mutant baby circumstances, and there's a lot of obnoxious political opinions behind the premise.

But beyond that, from the individual main characters perspective, it's actually a good portrayal of the experience of being powerless in an alien, horrible culture and getting carried along by political and social transformation you have no control over. If you park the issue of how implausible it is, and just accept it from the main characters point of view as something that is happening however implausible, it's a well written and compelling portrayal of someone caught in this situation and all the weird little psychological reactions they have to that-like trying to maintain a sense of agency over your body and sexuality by maintaining your potential to have sex appeal, to the point she smuggles a small amount of butter into her room to try and moisturize her skin with it. That's the kind of stuff that's actually good in this. Plus I just found the prose to be pretty good. It smooths over an implausible premise when the events are described vividly and immersiverly enough it makes them seem like they're really happening., implausible or not.

That said everything, literally every positive I listed here, is done better elsewhere. Never Let Me Go does all of this way better, is way better written, and despite arguably having a more out there and certainly more unique/compelling premise, it's a premise that feels surprisingly real and possible, definitely one of my favorite books period.

he just like me fr

All these years and the meme is still going /lit bros.

Attached: eff.jpg (1680x2885, 1.14M)

It's not a dystopia its erotica for liberal white women. This is a sexual fantasy.

It's a fine book but the premise and the events which led up to the world depicted in the novel don't make much sense.

It's a feminine self insert fanfiction.

It makes them feel valuable by asserting a hypothetical society where women are still highly coveted for their ability to bear children, but obviously dials it up to extremes for victimhood points (woe is us and our plight of childbirth, amirite fellow ladies?)

Modern society devalues women. They have much less institutional reverence today than in previous decade, and exist primarly as money makers, sex objects, or potential divorcees. So I think this book is a subconscious attempt to reclaim some of their past worth, with a bit of masochistic/victimhood lense applied.