Has anyone read it

has anyone read this yet? apparently the authors and a certain review of this book are causing such a SJW shitshow that "medievalists" are burning down like a bon fire?

Attached: bright-ages.jpg (911x527, 99.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2022/05/06/arts/medieval-race-twitter.html
mrambaranolm.medium.com/sounds-about-white-333d0c0fd201
unz.com/isteve/should-the-study-of-medieval-europe-be-banned-for-its-innate/
archive.p
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Medieval Studies and Classics simultaneously have one of the most rabid infestations of progressive ideology in academia, and the least justification for it. It's an amusing microcosm.

It mentions COVID-19 “disinformation” in the introduction apparently lol

i read the review that was "cancelled" for the author refusing to accept editorial suggestions and it was hilariously bad.

It seems so weird that these academics go into classics or become medievalists and then spend half the time explaining why it’s not special and people shouldn’t study it and actually it’s cringe and white people suck. Like you’re writing a book about it bro, is it worthwhile or not? You got a PhD in it just to tell people it’s gay?

I almost got this in a sale but researched it and the more I read the worse it seemed. I don’t want to waste my own time reading this revisionist shit because I can make it up myself while taking a shit. Euro bad, everyone else good. Woman good. Man bad. Darkies allover Europe, very progressive. But simultaneously very bad because patriarchy white supremacy! But also no such thing as race and every ancestor was black. Christianity evil, Islam good. Religion bad unless nonchristian.

Well that’s it for my shit. How did I do?

>certain review of this book are causing such a SJW shitshow that "medievalists" are burning down like a bon fire
Where? Link?

nytimes.com/2022/05/06/arts/medieval-race-twitter.html

the "review" that started this mess

mrambaranolm.medium.com/sounds-about-white-333d0c0fd201

>Gabriele and Perry exclaim that, although she meets an unhappy demise, “Theodelinda matters” (54). This, I hope, is not a play on Black Lives Matters, but this does show how I, as a Black reader and scholar, might read a particular phrase (especially now) that feels trivializing or appropriative.

>Writing a book that aims to feature women and/or other marginalized figures demands a stepping outside of oneself that is not accomplished throughout this work. Simply naming women who remained subsidiaries in a patriarchal society, or referring to auxiliary figures who were Muslim, Jewish, Mongols, or pagans (never mind the near erasure of trans or queer folk)*** in order to demonstrate how Christianity developed is nothing less than Christian apologia.

>In another place, the Abrahamic religions are described as ‘Asian’ while Christ himself is described as a “Jewish refugee from the eastern Mediterranean who once crossed into Africa, who had now come to this island where He sat comfortably” (p. 74). While it is true that Western religions have origins outside of Europe, descriptions like this try to de-Christianize Christianity, making it seem ‘hip,’ international and inclusive, while erasing its present role in western imperialism.

>Gabriele and Perry are exceptional Crusader scholars but they rely on their whiteness for authority, as illustrated by the way a 250-page book has no footnotes or endnotes. Certainly, explanatory notes are not expected as they would for a strictly academic book (and perhaps the publisher wanted them kept to a minimum), but white, male privilege is evident throughout this book as readers are expected to take historical anecdotes and episodes as truth without any supporting evidence.

>One of the most confusing and unsettling subjects in The Bright Ages is its focus on slavery, particularly in the Viking Era (100). Literary historian Kathleen Davis’ Periodization and Sovereignty discusses the invention of the “Dark Ages” as a time marked by slavery and violence. Not only does The Bright Ages not challenge those notions, it cheapens discussions of chattel slavery and undermines discussion of the transatlantic slave trade. The book’s epilogue stresses how “although chattel slavery — the buying and selling of humans — was more common in urbanized Mediterranean than elsewhere, a factor of easier access to markets, the principle of buying and selling humans was known to medieval people, just as to ancients, just as to moderns” (247). The book says that the Middle Ages was the ‘real time’ of slavery, minimizing the horrors of the transatlantic slave trade where millions of Africans were dehumanized and enslaved.

Attached: quote-never-forget-the-press-is-the-enemy-the-establishment-is-the-enemy-the-professors-are-richard-m-nixon-133-50-24.jpg (850x400, 85.02K)

modern "medieval studies" at the university needs to be killed with fire.

Attached: weliveinasociety.jpg (768x1024, 169.41K)

loll

I haven't, could be interesting.

>they rely on their whiteness for authority
As if it isn't.

yikes. that reads like parody desu

What a coincidence, a Pajeeta appears to be at the center of this row., chance has truly done the needful. More people need to start getting hip to the PQ.

>"Christianity is Asian"
>"Jesus was Jewish"
>Christian apologia
*laughs in Hyperborean*

yamnaya were brown btw :)

Your mother's Yamnaya?

Nope. I am not Eurasian

>the least justification for it
That is the justification

>Not Woke Enough
the eternal rallying cry of ourobouros

Medieval Studies, Classics, any form of "Studies" for western things can only justify their continued existence by killing themselves so they can hurt the west in the process.

The point is to get the credentials so you can hurt the thing you're studying from above. Or so you can publish stuff that proves the thing was actually diverse/progressive so that historical fiction can claim its being realistic when it owns the chuds (see the diverse, genderqueer vikings thing).

Is this woman who's waging a crusade to ban the term Anglo-Saxon?

i dont respect most of these twitter academics and i would never address them with the title "Doctor"

I haven't. Is it good?

its a dumpster fire apparently

read Hannam's 'God's Philosophers' that more focuses on the continuous developement of the sciences (broadly defined) in the middle ages and stays away from the more contentious topics

>Click on link
>instantly asks for email and doesn’t let me read the article
No wonder no one reads this shit. I hope everyone at The NY Times ends up homeless.

This sort of book is a genre unto itself nowadays. Like, "history explained to upper-middle class urbanite liberals by showing how much it confirms their preconceived notions and ideology". Reminds me of all the books that came out in the last decade glorifying the mongols or the ottomans for being the forerunners of globohomo, books about how islam was heckin' enlightened while christianity was anti-intellectual, the absolute shitshows that are late antiquity and early medieval studies are, and so on.

> Christ himself is described as a “Jewish refugee from the eastern Mediterranean who once crossed into Africa, who had now come to this island where He sat comfortably”
Yeah that’s hilariously awful they— oh. Oh your complaint is they weren’t woke enough? They tried making Christianity “cool” by being retarded? And that’s bad because Christianity bad. White man bad.

unz.com/isteve/should-the-study-of-medieval-europe-be-banned-for-its-innate/

>A New History
Major red flag, no thanks. I'll stick to old histories and primary sources, thanks.

Medieval military and, to a lesser extent, intellectual history are basically the only subfields that aren't totally gay from my experience. It's a shame since economic and social history is very interesting but then 95% of modern 'research' on it outside of archaeology isn't worth reading and a good chunk of that is basically propaganda.

good morning sirs i hate academics

Imagine having tenure in seething.

This reminds me of a joke post that was like
"In a new book, historian Bjorn Christian challenges the idea dominant in academia that Viking society was widely racially diverse, instead presenting it as largely homogenous."

The average modern classicist/medievalist can't even read Latin and just exists to heckin debunk chuds on Twitter

I was really disappointed to see the links since as a Linux user medium refuses to load for me and I already knew about the NYT being awful. I went straight to archive.today to get a version I can actually read.
NYT:
archive.p h/VKr8L
Medium review:
archive.p h/8s7sA

Pop history books are written to make money. What else need be said?

I actually agree with the reviewer on the subject of foot/end notes. At the ABSOLUTE least I would expect a bibliography at the back that includes all the historical anecdotes' sources. I'd prefer endnotes but a bibliography is non-negotiable.

Anyway I'm glad for this thread because this book lacks any of the red flags I normally use to filter, but it sounds like it's bad anyway for scholastic reasons.

Why has claiming that the middle ages weren't the dark ages - originally a right wing Catholic position - become associated with GAE academics?

wow that is some pure cringe tier, even by sjw standards

It comes with the caveat that "they were good because they were actually racially diverse and queer friendly"
DEI academics and reactionary Catholics have an unusual agreement in that they both believe that the enlightenment was the worst thing that ever happened.

>Pop history books are written to make money. What else need be said?

I don't entirely disagree with you, but pop history used to have much less of an ideological edge, like even when Will Durant sucked muslim dick it was neither the primary appeal nor did it lay thick on every single sentence practically. In the type of book I mentioned, the ideology precedes the historical content, which is a significant enough difference to warrant being considered a different thing altogether.

I have 2 ideas:
1. Postmodernism. The idea that there could be "dark" ages presupposes the idea of progress so, in their eyes, should be thrown out.
2. Henri Pirenne. Claiming that the early middle ages weren't a dark age is anti-Islamophobic in a sense.

Considering that "progress" as an idea never had as strong a cult around it as it does right now the second is much more likely. Though the focus is less on avoiding islamophobia and moreso on islamolatry, sucking abbasid/mongol/ottoman dick, completely memory holing the byzantine contribution to the renaissance in favor of the significantly less important islamic contribution, etc.

I haven’t, but now I would like to, as this is currently at the top of my NF list and on-order at my local library
>their tax dollars will pay for my rebellion

Attached: 901EC6A1-8A06-49C9-9906-7E8A96CD2206.jpg (682x1054, 1.13M)

I think it is more that their conception of 'progress' is simply the removal of wrongthink from the social fabric, which is otherwise a timeless unchanging tapestry of diversity and inclusion rendering all points in time interchangeable sans the malicious presence of Whiteness which is a catastrophic aberration.

It appears that they are, yet again, recreating the myth of the garden of Eden and fall from grace.

is the twitter meltdown about this funny to you guys? fucking chuds

Serious question: how is it not hilarious?

Someone using "chud" on Yea Forums is not serious about anything they say. Cmon man. It's hard enough to believe someone is serious about it in on the rest of the web.

I know he's trolling. I just can't see how the situation isn't hilarious. I hate the authors, I hate the LARoB, I hate the reviewer, I hate the journalists, and all of them are wrapped up in uncomfortable drama. You can't write comedy like this.

youre kidding right, its fucking hysterical.

why would i ever read a book on this time period written by a woman? let alone a "colored" woman?

I bought it a few days ago because I heard good things about it. It’s clearly a very accessible history book, b it this thread is starting to make me suspicious of my purchase.

the authors are pure S O I types

Hahahah, yeah ive been listening to the AUDIOBOOK AHHH, and have been enjoying it, but it is a little gay occasionally.

>Like you’re writing a book about it bro, is it worthwhile or not? You got a PhD in it just to tell people it’s gay?
The Classics department has always been a struggle between White Nationalists and Jews since Christianity came along. It's a discipline about studying White people literature and history, why wouldn't you expect it to be? Let's remember that the Christian literary tradition starts spiteful-mutants like Eusebius and Nafri sexpests like Augustine saying that everything other than the Torah and the Gospels should be destroyed.

It's the paradox of Progress, isn't it? Continuing Revelation means that the last Thing wasn't good enough, but by the very definition of Progress it had to be.

cope and seethe

>GAE
ZOG*

There's also an angle of arguing against a sort of civilizational-genesis in the Dark Ages, with Christendom being a unique geopolitic entity that had its birth in "The Dark Ages", as opposed to, say, the "Roman Empire oh but we worship Jews instead of Greeks now". In order for there to be an organic growth of this entity (Christendom) it had to start small ("The Dark Ages") and grow up ("The High Medieval Period") thereby coming into its own and demonstrating its uniqueness (From Rome before it, the Byzantines, the Islamic world, etc).

If you nip The Dark Ages in the bud, however, then there's just a segue from Rome to the Medieval period to Modernity, but because you lack an ethnic framework you can't do a Pagan "PIE-Migrations to now" continuity, and besides the PIE, Neolithic Hunter-Gatherers, and Anatolian Farmers were all fat-lipped coons so they weren't White anyways despite being the genetic and cultural material that leads to White people. The end result is a state where there actually is NOTHING in Europe, ethnic, religious, or civilizational. Throw in some basic bitch Marxism and you can argue that ackthyually everything happens because of abstract economic forces therefore Europe isn't even a landmass, it's just a chunk of Asia.

Roman Empire was hardly "white". the DNA samples are MENA