Why do the irish have no literary tradition?

Almost every """irish""" poet, novelist or author ever to exist has been of protestant descent IE descending from scottish, english and french hugenots who moved to ireland
Since their indepdence the irish have produced basically no good literature of note
what caused this?

Attached: Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (1600x2200, 2.61M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cré_na_Cille
wfupress.wfu.edu/product-category/irish-poetry/irish-language-poetry/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you cant write on a potato; its too round

Everyone is a mutt in Ireland and Britain. It doesn't really matter. Plus Joyce is le Irish so that should be enough.

0/10

too obvious

Why didn't they fish?

>OP wants to ascribe literary tradition by the religious descent of authors
>Limiting what he can claim to post-Reformation authors
>Forgets this means that basically everything classical, every literary reference, and the France that kicked out the Hugenots now have a literary tradition only based in works sourced by Irish monks and Arab mystics
WASPs are genuinely retarded, this doesn't even allow you to cosplay as Norse gods like WASPs love to do because all the Norse myths were written by Irish monks when they colonized the Baltic sea.

Could lead to fish stories.

>Since their indepdence the irish have produced basically no good literature of note

Just what the hell are you trying to say about Sally Rooney?

Same thing he's trying to say about Flann O'Brien apparently, which shows a rather egregious lack of discernment on the opening poster's part.

Berkeley was Irish. OP BTFO again despite making this thread repeatedly.

Got nothing against the Irish but
>Berkeley was born at his family home, Dysart Castle, near Thomastown, County Kilkenny, Ireland, the eldest son of William Berkeley, a cadet of the noble family of Berkeley whose ancestry can be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon period and who had served as feudal lords and landowners in Gloucester, England.
That's a shit example.

Hibernophobia is a mental illness

To be fair, hiberno- anything is a mental illness. It's just hibernophobia is no fun at parties.

>Joyce
>Beckett
>Yeats
I rest my case. Not bad for a little island full of redheads and alcoholics.

They do, it just doesn't appeal to you.

Flaherty O’Connell
James McGregor
Paul Finnigan

Need I go on?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cré_na_Cille

I think these threads are just a subtle way of seeing if the McCabe shill is still alive. It's two threads now where he hasn't appeared.

Do we like John Banville around here

>anglo
>anglo
>anglo

Heaney also kys

>be Ireland
>have massive pre-Christian epics
>have a Christian tradition since Saint Patrick
>literature in several languages
>nourish age-old oral tradition
>produce poets, novelists, playwrights
>every county has several writers
>four Nobel Prizes
>one of the most interesting art scenes in the whole wide world

In its milder forms it's actually the most rational conclusion that one can come to. Of course, like all phobias (and philias), it's absolutely mental in its more rabid forms.

Joyce wasn't Anglo-Irish.

>have massive pre-Christian epics

Rationality is overrated

probably busy reading
yes. follow him on twitter to see if the novel is still dead.

>>OP wants to ascribe literary tradition by the religious descent of authors
being protestant in ireland means being descended from non irish invaders
why are amerimutts so stupid that they dont realise this?

>interesting art scenes
Lol

What a weirdly American post.

Lmao why are paddies always so insecure about their nationality. So desperate to convince you that Ireland is amazing and Dublin is the best city on earth etc etc, it's rather sad

No one in Ireland says Dublin is the best city not even dubs.

Every Irish guy I've met while travelling has been like this, almost aggressive in their enthusiasm. Apologies if they are not representative of the culture as a whole, but that's the impression I've been given

What kind of shitpost is this? The Irish have a very strong literary tradition stretching all the way back to the Dark Ages.

Attached: ae1ksxbcpjv81.jpg (2160x2700, 425.03K)

This fox has more game than all of us combined.

Because writing was almost exclusively the domain of the moneyed classes for a long period of time.

Which is why most Irish authors came from Anglo-Irish backgrounds.

It would be as obtuse as asking why the majority of English authors were from wealthy backgrounds.

All this aside, Joyce was of Irish Catholic background, and is widely considered one of the greatest authors who ever lived.

>The Irish have a very strong literary tradition stretching all the way back to the Dark Ages
So do all Europeans, the English in particular, and yet it's the Irish alone who wank themselves senseless over the fact they have a few dusty old manuscripts sitting in storage at their university libraries.

>protestant in ireland means being descended from non irish invaders
So does being Ui Neill and most the families. Most of the people fighting Cromwell were too, since they're royalists. Do you not know how Irish history goes? Sectarianism is what Americans who fund the IRA think the conflict is about while everyone in Mexico knows about the flight of the Earls so you're outing yourself as an anglophone who doesn't even know who Wolfe Tone is or why the Irish keep voting bands named after him into internet charts.
Do you think the Americans are teaching their kids manuscript history and about round towers?

I am English and I oppose Hibernophobia. Keep that attitude out of Yea Forums.

Yes unlike the famous authors from Scotland like... Yeah

Attached: Ó Bhí.jpg (640x480, 56.02K)

>Do you think the Americans are teaching their kids manuscript history and about round towers?
No, but I'd respect that more than larping as terrorists, dyeing rivers and saying begorrah a lot

I can almost feel the protestant fingers behind some these posts.

Anyway, Wake Forest is a good resource for some Irish language books:
wfupress.wfu.edu/product-category/irish-poetry/irish-language-poetry/

Attached: 2022-05-11_03-32-26.png (1101x909, 188.28K)

Irish
French Huguenot
Anglo

And you thought you read that in the post about the saints and scholars era?

>why do the irish have no literary tradition
Are you serious? The irish literally have nothing else except a literary tradition. You wouldn't take away their last claim to civilization, would you?

How many people can read old Irish yet alone put that language into any kind of meter or rhyme?

No

Lewis is the literal anti-OP, considering his conversion journey

Wasnt it the irish who preserved and redistributed Roman texts into Europe after the fall of the empire?

She's looking foxy

It's pretty easy for modern Irish readers to read old Irish, and a lot of the features of poetry are to make it easier to say and remember. The problem is a lack of speakers and the caighdeán's acceptance of béarlachas.

>It's pretty easy for modern Irish readers to read old Irish
Old Irish verb conjugation is quite an abomination, tho.

No

British raycism

Speak english fool, not your hedge wizard speak.

that's not very nice, is it

And other Irishmen can trace back muh ancestry to Celts in Europe including Spain, what's your point?

90% of all famous irish authors were NOT IRISH
They were english, scottish or french hugenots
Yeats, Beckett, Wilde, Burke, Maturin, Shaw, NONE were irish

Becuase berkeley was not irish you paddy bastard

Go tell Yeats, a figure of Irish nationalism straight to his face that he's not Irish.

But he was indeed an Irishman, you niggerlover.

They were born on the Island of Ireland they're IRISH