Why do you hate English as a literary language?

Most of you do. So why?

Attached: english-language.jpg (926x618, 45.07K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every language is sick. Inglish Ispechallye

And why are they sick, sir?

imagine being some cucked ESL reading the greats of another peoples' land and then complaining about it lmao

ESL cope, plain and simple. English is unbelievably kino.

>Most of you do
No, just a small contingent of Germans who cannot cope with the fact that their language sounds like someone angrily choking on an egg.

Attached: 1650634326149.png (614x434, 6.19K)

You're correct, of course, I was just wondering why we often heard complaints about the 'poor aesthetic' of English, and how it was apparently 'insufficient for poetry or philosophy'. I hear/read such claims quite often on here, but I never see any explanation as to why. At most, there'll be a slightly more intellectual insult, but still never any fair comparison between English and any other language.

It is not a pure language. It's a mix between Latin and German, therefore it is incoherent. It contains words like "ersatz" together with "innuendo", both shouldn't exist in one language. German, Italian, Arab, Chinese, Russian, Greek, all those languages are better because they are coherent and unified around one root, although they aren't perfect and have some foreign words, but most of their vocabulary come from one ancient language. But there are a lot of language as bad or even worse than English, the worst of all being Japanese, and French being also pretty bad.

Im monolingual because every foreign speaker/reader I've ever seen discuss the subject of which language is best for anything/everything says English hands down every time without fail. Everyone Ive seen that takes the time to learn foreign languages says that once you understand them it's like speaking in caveman speech compared to English.

English incorporates any word we don't have yet from other languages anyway and has by far the most words of any language. Now I know you're going to come at me with some shit Scandinavian language which has a dozen different forms of "to go" which technically makes it have more words but you're really just proving my point with that bs. I'm talking about the most unique number of words not including grammar variations.

Maybe try to talk to real foreigners instead of South Americans.

>cope
German is the best language. English is just Latin raped by the Saxons

>Im monolingual because [arbitrary definitions and hypocrisy]
I'm multilingual because fuck you, I don't need excuses for my laziness.

Its unironically Quebecois shitposters and beaners.

>It contains words like "ersatz" together with "innuendo", both shouldn't exist in one language
Give me one good reason why not

Just ESLs coping with their inferiority.
>Yeah we're totally irrelevant and even our young people speak more English than [language], but at least we have untranslated authors that only 3 people outside of academia have ever read! Le Anglos OWNED!

I hate Gernan even more

>The Anglo-Saxons drove the Celts out of England
Pure fantasy

>pure language.
Stupidest post I've seen today.

I was always given to understand that it was just Anglo-Canadians and Americans that Quebecoids hated, and they were fairly amenable to actual English people. If this site's anything to go by though, they're a fairly wretched lot.

Indeed. I read and write in both German, my native tongue, as well as in English. Both fine languages. I suppose I'm unable to explain why but sometimes I feel one is better than the other for very specific things.

Anglos, vão se fuder, otários
Anglos, branleurs, allez vous faire enculer
[etc]

>caveman speech
How can languages so similar to English such as French sound like caveman speech? I am skeptical of how far along your acquaintances are in their mastery of those languages

I don't even think actual Frogs like them. They view them as peasants

Counterpoint: this is a good thing. It allows a wide range of sounds, from blunt and harsh to the more beautiful and Latinate. This can be used to great effect if you're aware of it

baseado, basado, basée, et cetera

>from blunt and harsh to the more beautiful and Latinate
retarded opinion

English is very odd but fun. Writing poetry in English like playing a linguistic game because many words that visually seem to rhyme don't actually rhyme and others that don't visually seem to rhyme do rhyme. I think that's an interesting exercise, plus regional dialects add whole new levels of possibilities to the mix.

>German is the best language. English is just Latin raped by the Saxons
Swedish is the best language. German is just continentals raped by the nords.

Danish is better.

I like English as a literary language, but that's because it feels like it's very autistic at the higher levels, with lots of subtle rules that even most English speakers don't know. It means that English literature can get very strange in both grammar and vocabulary compared to standard English, all while being technically correct.

Ummm, nigger. Say something useful or paint the ceiling with your worthless brain.

It's too good. A writer doesn't need to use his brain to describe a situation, English does the writing for him. I bet whatever asshole that's writing in Tamil or Mongolian needs to be an actual writer to make anything worthy of eyeballs.

The great vowel shift ruined English language.

I'm ethnically English and Italian is much better. Maybe French too. Not spanish though. I wish I knew German and a Scandi language. English has devolved too much, too many 3rd worlders are learning it.

This. And American-sponsored ebonics is currently ruining it even further.

Spanish is objectively a better language than French.

>how it was apparently 'insufficient for poetry or philosophy'
Most people can't even read older English poetry because they don't know how English was pronounced before the great vowel shift. In my opinion the great vowel shift is the main cause of what makes English the worst language in the world. There are many other reasons of course, like the way English became much more bastardized than any other language on this planet. It truly is a tongue befitting of mutts.
aeon.co/essays/why-is-english-so-weirdly-different-from-other-languages

Attached: muv-luv english can eat shit.jpg (1024x768, 83.41K)

Rhymes are difficult and rare in English, which is why so many English poems don't use rhymes. Imagine writing the Divine Comedy in English. Italian is much more suited to poetry.

>what the fuck are loanwords

>People still think english is Latinate just because it has a bunch of latin loanwords
These threads always make me want to kill myself. I mean, it’s astounding how ignorant you all are about language.

Difficult and rare? Rhymes are not.
Against such claims I have fought,
Day in and day out until the end
when others realize the message I send.

that's because Italian is an ooga booga language in whicha everythinga endsa witha a vowela

Since when did poems have to rhyme?

I shoulde Englisher be if English hadde more wit and less sense.

samefag

LIKEWISE

English are just Celts and a small number of Romans raped by Nords

you honestly believe that english is worst than vietnamese or any other south east asian language?

May there be at least enough rope
When the Saxon begins to cope

>HEY YOU NEED TO GIVE THE MOON A GENDER BECAUSE... BECAUSE YOU JUST HAVE TO OK?!?
lol so grateful that I sound almost nothing like the poopenfartens or weird Saami tier Nords as well. The Anglo BVLL embraces his eccentricities and makes the world conform to him.

Attached: 1649097101429.jpg (781x1000, 109.07K)

>English is just Latin raped by the Saxons
At least get your sequence right. Its saxon raped by Norman french then latinized by technical jargon adoption and creation.

Modern english is great for pretty much everything except poetry, I'd rather read the backside of a milk carton than a poem in english. Epic poems are fine tho.

>German is the best language.
It's not

Because one word should have a single definition as its useful for epistemic reasons

Who is "we"?

English is keyword-based I feel, like the deepest meaning of a sentence is often found in one or 2 words which are rich in pre-context so you might as well skip the rest of the sentence. It's good to seek information rapidly or to convey powerful messages in songs since they are short sentences and often keyword-based, but that seems tiring when you're reading a novel not necessarily seeking to solve something. Not sure if there exists a balanced language but English is almost completely leaning on the "left hemisphere brain" way of thinking. Im not sure what I'm saying. Also I disliked the approach in school to English litterature, they tried to pretend that each sentence had specific underlying meanings but that's a shameful misunderstanding of art, which is life, which meanings are endless even to the artist. The approach in school to French litterature was much more subtle and life-like, less rigid so more realistic. Idk

>which meanings are endless even to the artist
>French
be gone foul beast, you have already caused enough damage

I dont. Spanish is archaic and I'm tired of women calling me "horse" or "horseman" when I have never ridden a goddamn horse and it hurts to be reminded of my cubicle imprisonment.

>I met a murder on the way
>He had a mask like Castlereagh

Attached: 1650462999576.png (545x530, 234.3K)

EFL's can't handle this simple truth

English is the C++ of literary languages, capable of doing almost anything if you know what you're doing, but super easy to fuck up and create unreadable nonsense if you don't.

Please explain

which language is Assembler then?

>'

English is le germanic barbaric which is retarded