What would the meme trilogy for French lit be?

What would the meme trilogy for French lit be?

Attached: X4CO2bmjWRe9RvbMbWK6bYnAME6kj6xTNZZ5PksImfI.png (1044x495, 567.01K)

In Search of Lost Time
Gargantua
The Red and the Black

The Count of Monte Cristo
Les Miserables
In Search of Lost Time

These are old classics, not memey enough.

celine, proust, camus. memes galore

All of these are aggressively underwhelming. Seems like aside for proust France really has fuck all to offer to world literature aside for the kitchen sink realism of the 19th century. Sad

Hollaback
Genet
Celine’s really anti semitic stuff

It's not like any language or culture has more than one worthwhile author, either. What do the anglos have other than Pynchon?

The Stranger
Candide
idk something one of those pedos like Sartre wrote

Joyce, Gaddis, Pound, McElroy, Stein, Coover... and I'm only mentioning modernist and post modern authors

surprisingly fitting answer

proust is the only famous french modernist who wrote such long ass book with disruptive structure. maybe you could add stuff like le jeu de patience but who gives a fuck about guilloux.

They have you just havent read enough

All three are XXth century doorstoppers so I guess some candidates would be
>Belle du Seigneur (it really is the French Ulysses, except it's very bad)
>Les Deux Etendards (the real masterpiece of French lit during the XX century)
>La vie mode d'emploi
Some other candidates could be
>A la recherche du temps perdu
because it's often compared to Ulysses for some reason
>Les Bienveillantes
It's XXI century but it's as bad as Infinite Jest

Well why aren't they being mentioned itt then. I'd love to check them out but all I'm seeing is basic bitch takes

too meh, not whacky enough for a meme trilogy.

Hardly anyone here has read more than Vol 1 of ISOLT. Cant be in the meme trilogy when retards have not read it, moron

>It's XXI century but it's as bad as Infinite Jest
filtered twice

Start with Huysmans

Done. Not impressed
Now we're talking

>What do the anglos have other than Pynchon?

Tell me you're baiting, user...

>Done. Not impressed
filtered

Other I read that could be a part of the meme trilogy
>Les Hommes de bonne volonté
It's excellent and autistically long. I've only read the first 7 books though.
Why is this becoming a meme. Lots of people here have read ISOLT. I did. It's a fun and easy read, compared to Ulysses.

les miserables deserves to be in the french meme trilogy

Why tho? It defintely isnt a meme

Read more

yeah proust needs to be there--the other two is open to debate

proust isnt a meme either

I continue
>La semaine sainte (Aragon)
It's a long and beautiful book, also no one has read it here. It's way better than Aurélien (and Aurélien could also be in the list)
>Les jeunes filles (Montherlant)
Another long masterpiece. XXth century French lit is a lot of fascist lit though, so there's less degenerate stuff than in the anglosphere.
>Gilles (Drieu)
Although you probably already heard of it here.

I'm learning French and i want to read some book in French. Is Georges Perec easy? Could you recommend me some books that aren't hard to read?

t'as des bonnes refs ça fait plaisir. pas encore lu romains, l'unanimisme ajoute une réelle originalité à une nième fresque sociale de la france ?

Lots of people have said that to me and it might be true, but everyone forgot how to write since 1945. Everything good in the two books just goes right over my head since the sentance are either bland and short or monstruosities.

Candide was so good

>It's a fun and easy read, compared to Ulysses.
Is Ulysses really a drag? I just finished Portrait and loved it. I was going to start Dubliners and read a few more major historical works before trying it.

>but everyone forgot how to write since 1945
l'oulipo, le nouveau roman, les hussards, gracq, tournier, genet, anouilh, yourcenar... without consedering authors who kept on writing after the war such as céline, montherlant, giono, guilloux, morand, chardonne, bernanos...

francophone caribbean is currently producing incredibly based literature

Dur à dire, car c'est un concept que l'on retrouve déjà un peu dans Balzac en réalité, avec cet esprit romantique et poète qui prend beaucoup de personnages. La principale originalité c'est l'époque, car à part les Thibault je connais pas de réelle fresque sociale de la Belle époque, 1ere Guerre Mondiale et entre-deux Guerres en France. Sinon on sent en effet un genre "d'esprit français" ressortir de son oeuvre. Je pense que, si ce n'est peut-être pas la fresque la plus novatrice, c'est en tous cas la plus aboutie, car elle dégage une grande harmonie, bien plus que La Comédie Humaine ou Les Rougon-Macquart.
Après comme j'ai écris je n'ai lu que 7 tomes, il m'en reste beaucoup et mon avis n'est pas définitif. Pour l'instant c'est sublime.

I meant people born after 1945 do not know how to write. All of those you cited were born before 1945. I also mostly thought about modern translations that tend to be utter garbage, because I barely read any modern literature. Modern translators write like garbage in order "to be as faithful as possible". I prefer unfaithful translations finely written, which often means the oldest that exists.
Also I'm not familiar with Les Hussards, what do you recommend from them? I've read they are fans of Retz, so I'm very much interested. Also I'm French so no need for translation.

>Gaddis, McElroy, Stein, Coover
Pure shit and non-names. I thought we were talking serious.

Rebatet's Les Deux Étendards, Perec's La Vie mode d'emploi, Céline's Mort à crédit

Nor is Joyce.

Dubliners is kino. When I was younger, it was Araby, now it's either Eveline or The Dead.

>Joyce, Gaddis, Pound, McElroy, Stein, Coover
He said "worthwhile author"

yup

Obviously, I'd recommend starting with le hussard bleu written by nimier, the book who gave the name to the movement. Blondin is good too. Haven't read Retz yet, can't say how he inspired them, but the movement is rooted in a profound respect for french literary classics. You can sense a sheer pleasure and love for both reading and writing in their works.

As for the movement in itself, the youthfulness that stems from it is very fresh and fun to read. You get a witty and cheeky atmosphere from their books, but deep down it is heavily connected to a sincere despair about the human condition, especially after WWII. Nimier was inspired by Céline, you can see the influence throughout a quite aphoristic style they both used. While Céline's pessimism is dirty and sometimes spiteful, Nimier's is playful and resignated. Paradoxically, Céline seems more hopeful. One short setence summarizes quite well the spirit of the Hussards for me : "Nous pateaugeons, mais il suffit d'aimer la pluie."

>Perec
Hack, along with all the Oulipo trash

That makes him an appropriate candidate for the french meme trilogy

A season in hell
Life a user's manual
Some autistic book by nabe

Why does everyone on Yea Forums suddenly hate these guys? Especially Joyce. He was the star boy here barely a year ago.

Crazy nobody has said Elementary Particles

Quenaeu
Perec
Sollers
Pure french faggotry par excellence.

Mort à crédit
Les 120 journées de Sodome
Anything wrote by Nabe

Melville

Queneau is really the worst, I don't know anything interesting about him, and the formal research of the Oulipo has lasted too long without having produced anything really interesting (Perec is not so bad though).

If I had to give a same trilogy it would be :
Belle du Seigneur
Mort à crédit
L'étranger

Contrarianism combined with no one actually reading and forming opinions based off of shitposting.

What about a kraut meme trilogy?
>Musil
>Grass
>???
Judging by this thread the board would recommend Mann or some other entry level slop

What about Die Niederschrift des Gustav Anias Horn nachdem er 49 Jahre alt geworden war?

Thanks for the post, I borrowed Le hussard bleu from the library. I just read the first 20 pages and it's finely written, so I think I will enjoy it, thanks again.

Bump
Answer this

Stuff for masses like Fantomas and Arsene Lupin should be easy enough for you, in fact I've seen Lupin being used in one of those "learn French as you read" books.

>who is Celine?
>who is Perec?
>who is Houellebecq?
Post less, read more

>who is Celine?
>who is Houellebecq?
The mere idea that such authors deserve to be even mentioned in the same tier as Joyce or Pynchon is laughable. France is a meme alright
>Perec
Haven't read him and I look forward to it

Je te conseille Les choses si tu veux lire du Perec, c'est vraiment très simple. Encore plus simple c'est l'Etranger de Camus, ou Camus en général. Houellebecq aussi est vraiment très simple. Si tu veux lire des classiques plutôt, La Princesse de Clèves est aussi très facile. Je pense que Les liaisons dangereuses ne sont pas si dures non plus, tu risques juste de rater un peu de sous texte mais rien de très grave.

Lots of good authors have been mentioned, Rebatet, Montherlant, Jules Romains, Proust, Aragon and there are a lot more, Cocteau, Gide, Georges Darien, why do you keep baiting like this?

The Mann Without Qualities
The Sleepwalkers
Berlin Alexanderplatz