Why did faulkner say you should only become a writer after being 35?

Why did faulkner say you should only become a writer after being 35?

Attached: 162233678971.png (598x628, 383.28K)

because it's hard to take some 22 year old's supposed insights on life seriously

because ‘writing’ before thirty five is a sad fucking way to spend your time.

I think Hamlet was written when Shakespeare was around 35... You need to go through shit, like losing a child, to have SOVL.

This.

I'd say it even applies to music. Bill Withers started around 32, I believe. Compare that with the disposable crap produced by 20 year olds. Youth culture was a mistake.

You need some tragedies and experiences in life, I don't want to read what some 20 year old kid has to say about life.

Words of a coping manlet. McCullers wrote The Heart is a Lonely at 23 and it mogs literally everything Faulkner had published.

Attached: 093B1E82-8952-466B-83B7-A8D631D16B0C_1_102_o.jpg (1901x649, 159.68K)

that's why it's great to start if you're in your 20s
read good books every day, write, and when you're 35, you'll already be skilled with a good technical workshop and style behind your pen
then you can produce good books

wanna be a writer kiddo, start writing, listen to this old man

Men truly come of age between 30-35. You may have the technical flourishes and vocabulary necessary to write a story but it will inevitably be lacking. Also most readership is over 40 and people over 40 couldn’t care less about what a 20 year old has to say.

lots of counterexamples though. radiguet, keats, plath, nimier, rimbaud, poe, schowb...

People used to have life experiences, family, war, loss, love. But we now exist in an eternal youth culture universally distributed across 24/7 social media which trains people algorithmically how to behave so that increasingly the insights of a 20 year old are indistinguishable from that of a 60 yr old. Look at how the previous election cycle turned everyone online in to teenagers. It is only going to get worse.

boomer cope. They go on about muh experience but in the end the greatest accomplishments of man were made by men in their youth, as were the greatest pieces of literature. Just an old man shouting at the clouds about how they deserve respect.

you need to receive your wizard diploma after 5 years in wizard school before you can become a writer, you dumdum

think of how much better they'd be if they waited

Their success comes from youth, but their best works come later. Twain's best book is Joan of Arc.

Goethe too.

Idk, Moby-Dick was published when Melville was 32.

some of them are interesting precisely because of their youthful, sometimes immature writings. literature can virtually offer you POVs from any kind of life and soul, i don't think you should reject more juvenile ones just because you wouldn't get as much maturity.

>POVs from any kind of life and soul, i don't think you should reject more juvenile ones just because you wouldn't get as much maturity.
this pretty much sums up my opinion. it's incredibly stupid to disregard a work because of the creator's age

Faulkner said that for the same reason he said he was a failed poet, for the same reason he said Hemingway never took risks, for the same reason he said Sanctuary was a potboiler, and for the same reason he said many other things: like most writers, he says things for their literary effect and not for their adherence to reality. Writer's statements should be treated as an extension of their fiction. Yea Forums systematically fails to understand this and takes the most bald-faced provocations seriously.

A lot of muscians peak at ages 20-25

Bob Dylan and Bowie come to mind

Mathematicians are similar

>tfw i've passed my peak and have nothing to show for it.

This

Faulkner’s quips should be taken figuratively

>mathematicians peak before their PhD is even done
No.

I love The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter - but if you really think that it "mogs" Absalom, Absalom! you're just a retard

How was Sanctuary not a potboiler?

Do you think this reply is going to convince me? You are just stating your opinion and calling me a retard.

Why do think this will convince me?

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm calling you a retard

kek. never change Yea Forums

You're a nigger.

Newfag it wasn't that funny

Oh he SEETHING

it was hilarious and no amount of you coping will change that

ruined it by samefagging too hard and now I will have to mark this as an argument won for me

Because you would have a life then?

>gets called a retard
>spergs out and starts screaming samefag
many such cases!

What he basically means is that by then you will have something meaningful to say. But if you sit on your arse and don't write a thing until you're 35 you will basically write cringey 18 year old shit and would probably not produce anything serious until you 50. So if you want to take Faulkner at his word here (which why would you he's just some guy at the end of the day) write every day but don't expect anything to come to serious fruition until you're 35.

Melville wrote Moby D at 33

you're retarded

Attached: CE9E9FDC-6F95-4EC2-95C4-DAD5C36842CB_1_201_a.jpg (1124x1458, 406.86K)

But I'm planning my seven novel series to end by the time I'm 35.

This guy gets it

Because Faulkner was barely literate (he didn't finish school), so he tried to catch up the lost time until his 35s.

>Bob Dylan and Bowie come to mind

You picked terrible examples and none of them peaked around the time you claim.

lotta poets
it’s a different skill set from being a novelist

Hack poets. Read Rimbaud's letters and he admits he was LARPing to please art pseuds and had no idea what his poetry meant. You fell for the youth culture bait.

that road closed a long time ago george

It's sad but true.

You'll see! Book seven will have eight, no, NINE dragons in it!

I know this thread will get a lot of the >muh experience chesnut from faggots who think you need to "suffer" or something idiotic to write good books. I think the real key is that young people are too self-absorbed. If you read fiction from a lot of people under the age of 30, it shouldn't take long to notice how similar it is to their own lives and their own concerns. An undergraduate or graduate writing workshop with a bunch of under 30s will be packed full of stories about their lives. Even if it isn't Mary Sue dreck, it will be about a bunch of characters like them worrying about small problems. ie heaps of cheating stories, stories about drinking too much, worrying about career success or failure, small-minded looks at family life of characters just like them. The ideas dealt with are small.

>Robert Zimmerman born 1941

>Bringing It All Back Home released 1965
>Highway 61 Revisited 1965
>Blonde on Blonde 1966

Attached: LP-5070_900.jpg (900x900, 133.84K)

He peaked with Blood on the Tracks

Post your med shelf

who?

Your cognitive peaks, but i guess it does take a while for one to write a developed theory

>bowie born 1947
>break out hit came out 1967
>hunky dory 1971
>ziggy stardust 1972
>most famous songs released when he was 20-25

Let me guess, you think the gay berlin era was when bowie was good

Peak was definitely blonde on blonde but continued to make stuff almost on the same level till after street legal. love and theft and shot of love are great too.

Station to station, Low and Scary Monsters were Bowie's best works
>hunky dory
Ziggy is good and the best from his glam era, but why would you choose Hunky Dory? He recorded so many better works than that. Even TMWSTW was better if you wanted to make a point

Yeah, I can’t remember which book it was, but I read about five pages and thought “this must be a kid”. I looked it up, saw they were 24 for when they wrote it, and dropped the book.

That's not quite what he said. He said the best age to be a poet is your youth/early twenties. Because life is interesting then. And the best time to be a novelist is to be 35-50. Because you have more depth and quantity of experience to draw from, which is useful for long form prose.

Cioran wrote On the Heights of Despair when he was 22.

and you can tell.