/wg/ Writing General

You’re building up an email list right edition.

For General Writing
>The Rhetoric of Fiction, Booth
>Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft, Burroway
>Steering the Craft, Le Guin
>The Anatomy of Story, Truby
>How Fiction Works, Wood

YouTube Playlists for Writing
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTCv6n1whoI23GmdBZienRW0Q0nFCU_ay Robert Butler
>youtube.com/watch?v=-6HOdHEeosc [Open] Brandon Sanderson

Technical Aspects of Writing
>Garner's Modern English Usage, Garner
>What Editors Do: The Art, Craft, and Business of Book Editing, Ginna
>Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style, Tufte

Books Analyzing Literature
>Poetics, Aristotle
>Hero With a Thousand Faces, Campbell
>The Art Of Dramatic Writing: Its Basis in the Creative Interpretation of Human Motives, Egri
>The Weekend Novelist, Ray

Traditional Publishing
>blog.reedsy.com/manuscript-form
>submittable.com/
>querytracker.net/
>manuscriptwishlist.com/

Self Publishing Options
>archiveofourown.org/
>kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
>kobo.com/us/en/p/writinglife
>royalroad.com/
>scribblehub.com/
>wattpad.com/

Self Publishing How-To
>selfpublishingwithdale.com/

Poetry
>This Craft of Verse, Borges
>The Poetry Home Repair Manual, Kooser
>Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry, Mason

Anime Writing (^・o・^)
>youtube.com/watch?v=4on26mKakgs [Open]
>wikihow.com/Create-an-Anime-Story

/wg/ Authors and Flash Fiction Pastebin
>pastebin.com/ruwQj7xQ

Attached: 117AC9A3-BBDD-4A4A-BE4E-7EDDCCA2CD2A.jpg (800x450, 69.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

royalroad.com/fiction/54100/wish-mountain-adventure-drama-fantasy-tragedy/chapter/902672/chapter-one-amaryllis
pastebin.com/jPTErygB
disintegrationsystem.blogspot.com/2022/05/guy-debord-and-demiurge.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hello. how are u? i m fine.
i dont write, but i was thinking about maybe considering writing something someday.
does n e 1 have any tips?
i want my work 2 b as epic as lord of the rings, as timeless as crime and punishment, as influential as atlas shrugged, n as best selling as harry potter.
n mebbe a choreographed dance # in the middle. i luv dabbing.
i dont have a lot of time n motivation 4 practice, and i dont read n e thing but isekai self inserts on wattpad.
ok, i dont read them, i just kinda skim them. i get the gist.
im looking 4 a quick fix so i can skip the boring middle part w all the work n sacrifice.
if u help me, i promise 2 remember u when i become rich n famous. u can come over 2 my mansion n e time.
thank u n have a nice day.

isn't the self marketing game pretty much reserved for people who are writing vampire romances on amazon? why would I not try to get traditionally published and then if I fail at that just go to RR and try to get paypigs?

I cried out of happiness for the first time in life right now. It’s so good, you’re overwhelmed by love and can’t deal with all those good emotions and just cry. First time in years that I’m genuinely enjoying living.

royalroad.com/fiction/54100/wish-mountain-adventure-drama-fantasy-tragedy/chapter/902672/chapter-one-amaryllis

Attached: wishsoy.png (1902x1046, 648.7K)

You good user? You just orgasm or something?

He finally opened his writing document and thought about putting down the first word of his novel.

It was better than an orgasm. A male orgasm is like 5 seconds. I felt overwhelming good for minutes. I hope your life and everybody’s here goes well.

How high are you estrogen levels right now user?

According to my check up they’re fine, so are my testosterone levels. I also have a 7 inches cock, shitty beard though.

Ugh. There's enough of this on Yea Forums.
Let's not louse up /wg/ with it.

how do i stop myself from putting too many ideas that don't even go well together into my writing? i just get an idea i think is really fun and try to shove it into a narrative it doesn't belong in

happiness is a delusion as much as sadness is. you're riding an emotional high, but it isn't 'living'. you will come crashing down soon enough. living is in the in-between - the peaceful contentment. emotional highs and lows only serve to distort your cognition
enjoy the fall

seething is a delusion too

Set aside a seperate file and write down your ideas, then take a glance at them every once in a while and maybe you can develop whole stories around them to expand your universe, or write them as standalone ones. It helped me a ton.

What were your actual testosterone levels?
Don’t say healthy. Healthy doesn’t tell me much as the actual range for “healthy testosterone levels” can vary between 200-800 nano grams per decaliter, which is a huge variance.
Btw, 7.75” cock, great beard and mustache.
Never checked levels, I’d assume average.

writing general

is it possible to write a comedy novel in biblical language?

Here’s my shitty shit. Anons reply with links to your works so I can read them
pastebin.com/jPTErygB
I would read that.
Literally just take to pen and paper. You’ll get so tired of writing that you’ll only wanna stick to the essentials

Still purple.
A bunch of disconnected scenes, with an unexplained ending.
Was this a school assignment?

How is this?

Avh Voer joined the King’s army after a series of encroachments in Calias by the Kingdom of Erona left his home destroyed and his family in refuge. Avh learned spear work from his father who had served in the military prior to his life as a dairy farmer. War was declared between the two kingdoms a month after he had joined and continued for the next two years, Avh experienced the brutal realities of war. Avh told Crutch about the comrades he made and how after each battle the fewer of them were around. He achieved mastery of the spear and was promoted to sergeant. The war ended and he would spend most of his days drilling recruits. He felt empty and aimless. His hollow shell yearned for battle, for conquest. He felt guilty that he desired to fight and that he wanted the bloodshed. Some days he would volunteer for patrol duties just on the off chance he could fight an enemy. Peace was the worst. How could anyone live in such monotony? The alcohol and ayoka powder built him up just enough to bring him down. One day he decided he was going to kill himself and left the barracks.
He went down to the Masar River where it ran through the willows. As he was about to cast himself into the river he saw a nun in white and blue robes playing on a psaltery. She smiled and hummed to herself as the swirls of plucked strings danced through the willows. Avh walked up to the nun who continued playing. After a minute the song came to an end and she said in a gentle voice, “You wary one, come rest, your journey is far from over.” “I’m not on a journey, I live up the way.” She looked at him with hazel eyes. “Why then do you look lost?” Avh blinked and was about to say he was not in fact lost but he stayed silent. The nun picked at the psaltery letting out more calming notes. “Are you happy?’ Avh asked the nun. “Of course.” “How? Tell me how?!” Avh felt his hand shake. She stopped playing just for a moment, “I just am for I am blessed by Lum. Do you wish to be saved?” Avh was spiteful at the concept of religion, “How can I be saved? How can you be happy with this Lum? The horrors I have seen inflicted… the horrors I’ve inflicted…”
“Even the finest warrior is defeated when he goes against nature, by his own hand he is doomed. Having flaunted your excellence, your victories, the jubilation of battles have marred your soul. The misfortune of others you have caused has made you lose your humanity. You, who are so thirsty for battle and revenge, has guilt setting in thus you declare yourself an enemy to be destroyed. Now you have the audacity to ask how I’m happy? I’m happy because I’m not you.”
Avh fell to his knees, she was right. “Can I change?”
“No, but you can take the oaths and change your name.”

Attached: 1645399169055.jpg (1200x900, 1.19M)

Avh Voer joined the King’s army after a series of encroachments in Calias by the Kingdom of Erona. He left his home destroyed and his family in refuge.* that correction wasnt saved =/

>traditionally published
because being traditionally published is pretty much reserved nowadays for trans lesbian persons of crime, or jews with connections in the industry

is this your first draft?

yes, it seems some of my corrections didnt save but its an excerpt from a flashback. It hasnt been revised yet as literature or prose

>A male orgasm is like 5 seconds
only if you're circumcised

hebrew would be fine. yahweh was a big jokey jokester who play a real funny one on his followers

you should at least make a second draft (especially for a piece so short) before posting it here, our time may not be all that valuable but you should still respect our use of it

Why can't I be my own agent and attend the meetings to sell my book? Why do I have to find some liberal arts major woman to "sell" my book for me?

Man's inhumanity to man
Makes countless thousands mourn! etc

Evil is evil, user. Trying to make it 'le inhumanity' is pointless and overdone unless the 'villain' is eldritch and unfathomable in nature, completely incapable of understanding human suffering. Plus, 'chaotic' and 'pure evil' are simply incompatible. I know it doesn't fit with your vision, but you're going to need internal conflict to make the character interesting, and there's infinite potential in a 'collective human experience' motif. I would recommend revising the concept so that the fusion of minds has created an overwhelming impulse of some sort - he absolutely needs a goal. Saving / destroying humanity is also overdone, so think about what this "pure chaotic evil" might seek. Perhaps he just needs to vicariously experience the pain of others to feel alive (Tool has a great song about this.)

My only other piece of advice would be that if you did manage to meaningfully convey a truly 'other side' of human experience, you would instantly become the greatest writer of the 21st century. Good luck.

The Bible has a lot of comedy in it. For instance the moment when Adam and Eve have eaten the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Adam and Eve realised they've fucked up and they hide from God. God's light passes over the area they're in like Sauron's eye and he says in his big booming God voice 'Where are thou?'

Something about that just cracks me up. Reminds me of my Dad looking for me when I did something I shouldn't. And the irony maybe that Adam and Eve fucked up everything for everyone thousands of years and this was the start of reality setting in.

i refuse to respect anybody who takes reviewing stories on this mongolian basket weaving forum seriously

>Omniscient God pretending to not immediately know where they are and what they've done while they try to dance around the issue
Comedy gold.

The western world is corrupted with fiat currency backed by the petro dollar and the US military monopoly on violence. This trickles down to Netflix being billions in debt yet somehow still functioning as a business. Doctors make you sick. Lawyers simplify the conviction process. You pay taxes to the government because the government owns you. The police protect property, not you.

HR stacies and the like are just the minions of a weak society.

And yet you're still here, seether.

Alright fellas, I have an idea which I want to put it on paper but I'm not sure who would read it. I'm just going to write it to stop thinking about it but from the realistic side, I want it to be at least read by someone other than me, if not appreciated

My favorite is that he had a chosen people for years and years but then decided he'd made a oopsy so he changed his chosen people to a different group. The headfake is masterful trolling.

how do you guys keep the time going in your stories, I've noticed that some stories can get to 100+ chapters and only pass like 5 days

huh? mine are at least 30-45 seconds

Less descriptions more actions

Since /writing/ is dead anyway I'll add another funny bible moment

>moses leads jews out of egypt
>a literal cloud of godsmoke appears atop a mountain
>moses goes into it for 40 days and nights where he receives the 10 commandments
>in that short amount of time tens of thousands of his followers, including his own brother Aeron, decide to build a golden calf so they can have endless day and night orgies around it
>moses comes down from the mountain with the tablets and is so angry he throws the tablets to the ground and breaks them
>he then orders the golden calf to be burned and he puts the pieces into drinking water
>he pleads to god to have mercy on the jews for being such fucking degenerates ungodly idiots
>1/3 of the Jews refuse to follow moses and God even after all the miracles (like parting the red sea and all the stuff that went down with Rameses in egypt)

The moment where Moses is so fucking angry he breaks the tablets that were hand written by God is pretty funny to be. Sad, but funny.

yeah, i just don't know how i could make it work without it seeming pretentious or fake, especially if the setting is relatively recently

sometimes you get a busy couple of days, sometimes you just sleep all day. know what I mean?

As long as you have fun with it and it makes you laugh it'll be worthwhile.

new essay just dropped

disintegrationsystem.blogspot.com/2022/05/guy-debord-and-demiurge.html

Hress Dunter returns... with children?

I'm going to start writing to have my story ruined, I need to end this shit already

I realised there were some big problems with the old version of Wish Mountain. The first was that it was written in third person, and I'm just not good at that. So I've just to first person and it's working a lot better. The second was that I have so much worldbuilding and story and character to give to the reader that its overwhelming.

So I realised the I needed characters that would enable me to slowly give out information and story at a pace that readers can digest. In doing that I came up with Amaryllis and Chicory, and their backstories and inclusion in the plot. Wish Mountain is an ensemble narrative (like Game of Thrones) and it's starting from level 0 with the two orphans.

Because they're A) children, and B) orphans that have lived in relative isolation from the world, I can actually put the reader right into the story in a way I wasn't doing before.

Just thought I'd share some insight since this is /writing/ after all.

do you find adding the genres to the title helps? any tips for views?

I'm the worst person to ask for that. I got to 22 followers with the former version of Wish Mountain. I added the genres to the title because I hope it might show up in the seach engine more.

Same reason people put 'litrpg' in the titles. I'm on the fence about trying to get reviews to fill out my story, since I did that before and honestly the reviews are very in-organic because everyone is trying to be nice so they get a nice review in return. I'm always nice but honest with my reviews, which has caused trouble in the past.

The main reason I'm even bothering to put my stuff on Royal Road is because I can't see a better alternative.

Cool, glad you reconfigured and retooled what you were doing to better build the world in an organic way. There's a reason a lot - not all - but a lot of fantasy stories start with some naive farmboy in some little patch of nowhere being dragged into the bigger world. The reader gets to discover it with him, and gets to experience the wonder of learning about how things are, which is a big part of the draw of the fantasy genre. And then the strength of 1st person is you aren't tempted to get into Big Exposition mode, which is easy to fall into in 3rd. Looking forward to reading it once you get a little more out in a few weeks.

What benefits do you think trad publishing has?

The way you build readers is by 1. posting relatively quickly, 3 times a week and 2. posting consistently. If you can't do 1, for whatever reason, you must do 2. Being inconsistent is a deathknell.

try scribblehub too, I find the analytics to be better (and free), the people are just as quiet but they have a lower bar.

Yeah completely agree. I read The Fellowship of the Ring, and whilst it took for fucking ever to get going, the time it took to set up the world makes everything feel grounded later on.

I'm currently sitting on 15 complete chapters. It's taken me months to get to this point though around work and life in general, so I'll have to be patient and post slowly. In the mean time? Memes.

Attached: 1613203623748.jpg (551x432, 51.35K)

I'm already posting 3 times a day and might start posting a 2rd or 3rd novel just to see if any of them can hit pay dirt, I feel like you really have to hit it with a lucky genre/story

I feel like I'm dithering too much on a not-that-crucial character detail to include that it's actively stopping me from writing. How the hell do I just pick what I should do?

When I get caught up in stuff like that I go for brevity. And I decide that if it becomes important later I'll add it in then. Set up the expectation that you don't have to explain everything to your reader right away, because you'll get to it later.

In chapter one of my story I don't even describe the appearance of my character except for her age and a bit about her height. It's only in the second chapter when it becomes relevant that I add in her general appearance and ethnicity.

If it's not something debilitating like a peg leg wtf cares.

Ah, no, it's not that sort of character detail, it's more a later on reveal that I'm unsure on what I should have the nature of it be, or if I should even have it in the first place. Basically protag seemingly died and came back with minimal memories, but I'm thinking of having the reveal be that the being who is the protagonist isn't QUITE the guy who he's visualising himself as, rather he's the guy's sword.

Like seems like a difficult switcheroo to pull off

Well, hence my dithering. I'm also thinking maybe it's more like a weird gestalt entity. Not a true resurrection, but the original guy is 'there'. The sword wasn't at all sentient or anything prior to the death, but magical bullshit meant it would be, etc.

Wait, wishmountainbro that was you these past couple threads asking if you should start posting with only 30k words drafted? Good luck, but I think you're making a mistake. You should focus on drafting while being free of the demands posting requires.