Why won't Yea Forums consider light novels and manga as literature?

Children's books are viewed as literature even though it's for kids. Yea they have illustration too. Most LNs and manga are aimed for teenagers and young adults. There are lots of good stories in this medium. I can even say that some of them are on par with the Western canon. No need to make fun of it if youre a "mature" sweaty fat fuck who enjoys "big boi" books.

Attached: essex shinji.png (540x405, 377.27K)

I wouldn't call them literature because they're actually entertaining

Yea Forums is a board for people who read for the sake of being seen reading.
Reading for entertainment, reading for emotional catharsis, these are not legitimate reasons to read if you want to project the aura of being an elite Yea Forumserati. Hence why most of the threads here are about philosophy or theology, you know, stuff that might impress your dad or university lecturer.

Now, all that said, LNs and manga are, for the most part, repetitive, poorly written trash with recycled plots and characters that are written solely to appeal to otaku, who read this stuff not because it's good but because they're an otaku and that's what they do.

>Why won't Yea Forums consider light novels and manga as literature?
Because they're light novels and manga not literature.

Because there is a board dedicated to discussing those things, or should we consider Yea Forums to also be literature while we're at it?
if manga & LN threads were suddenly tolerated then every faggot who doesn't read actual novels would spam the catalog with manga discussion.
I don't like LNs but when it comes to manga I do enjoy some works and for the most part they are certainly better than some of the shit we talk about here, but I still don't want to see the board flooded with off-topic threads more than it already is

Because weebs are disgusting

LNs are too intertwined with other Japanese nerd shit. But as you say pretty much all LNs are the equivalent of YA or sometimes pulpy adult fantasy lit. But yeah it's probably not allowed because people would start going off topic really fast.

LNs are garbage, there is not a single one worth reading.
as for manga, I consider it more of a visual medium, it doesn't really fit with literature.
even when compared to YA shit LNs are uniquely bad, the fact that you have to read a fan translation most of the time doesn't help either.
fan fictions probably have more literary merit than LNs yet are still banned from Yea Forums, so I don't really see why LNs should be given a pass

Kill yourself you braindead masturbates-to-cartoons faggot.

Why won’t Yea Forums consider reading grownup books?

Attached: 498A1E06-6419-4AB2-85CA-A21173667713.jpg (683x1024, 233.66K)

because faggotry is not literature

u wot m8

Attached: turbo proost.jpg (1240x775, 199.44K)

Attached: 1651160270446.png (391x197, 34.76K)

anime website

>not a new ip
Hmm the shitstirrer doth protest too much, methinks

Doesn’t matter. When will Yea Forums consider reading grownup books?

Attached: 8955C72D-5D5A-40FE-AD1E-01A1D87F7528.jpg (1147x868, 509.3K)

Literature board

They are technically literature. Some of them even have decent stories or ideas that have something to contribute. But even those few are buried under several layers of pulp shit and almost none of them fit into the idea of literature this board was meant for. Nobody discusses comics, graphic novels like TWD or the newest children's books here either even if they're also "technically" literature. (which leads me to think how we never get any comic fans in here asking he same recognition, it's always the manga/VN/LN otaku)

Subahibi and Re:Zero are some of my favorite works btw and they come from that medium, but I'm not autistic enough to start threads about them on Yea Forums.

>which leads me to think how we never get any comic fans in here asking he same recognition, it's always the manga/VN/LN otaku
it's often the Yea Forums type that are so insecure about their medium's quality and seek validation from here as if having your shit labeled as literature is some badge of quality, the other boards enjoy their medium and don't need to annoy us every day

Because they forget they're using Yea Forums

See you forget you’re on the literature board. Like 75% of the posters here

Attached: 0E35E9CD-1080-4919-992F-9739C90E5ADD.jpg (550x700, 211.85K)

manga and LNs are literature and we should be allowed to make manga threads without having to hide behind some meme posts like "books like this?" or some shit.

So classic literature is just manga/LNs so we should be able to make Melville and Pynchon threads on Yea Forums
You know how that would go over, football head.

Attached: 07956111-C58D-48AD-A98B-E65E947C8EE6.jpg (1668x919, 864.95K)

>we should be able to make Melville and Pynchon threads on Yea Forums
that would certainly be an improvement

NOOOO what do you mean hakkofuraudo shittoraita sensei's latest VN isn't literature???!??!?

Attached: e0d.png (680x866, 284.22K)

grown ass man watching moving drawings

Manga doesn’t belong here, as it’s a visual medium and already has a board, though it could be discussed from a storytelling and characterization perspective.

Light novels, however, belong here just as much as SFF. The worst LNs aren’t any worse than the most pulply fantasy schlock. The best LNs are undoubtedly post-modern literature, more worthy of discussion than, say, Tao Lin (who I think is well worth discussing). Genius writers from Aristophanes to Joyce, to Arno Schmidt have made True Literature out of the blend of high and low culture, and the same is true for a limited number of LN writers.

I love pynchin

Attached: Screenshot_20220507-105828_OneDrive.jpg (1154x242, 93.04K)

What's a good LN title?

We can do it, we have the technology.

Attached: 1549082728713.png (1280x720, 1.16M)

anything by nisioisin

They are comic books, that's a separate group, and they relay heavily on the art, visuals, images call them whatever you want
Its not like an illustrated book, since illustrations are created based on the given written descriptions
If you were to strip the drawings from a manga, the story wouldn't make much sense. If you were to fill in the gap by describing the now removed drawings, it would be literature

You've got an entire board (hell, multiple boards) for anime shit. Talk about your LNs and mangoes there.

THE FUCK IS A LIGHT NOVEL ?

One weird thing about light novels is that they often don't really stand on their own. They assume you also watch a lot of anime, so everything relies on anime tropes, and you kinda have to imagine it as an anime in your mind or it won't make sense. And some are just blatantly written as scripts/promotional materials for anime.

That said, there are some good ones that can be read like other book and discussed here. It's just hard to find enough people that have read the same one to discuss it.

Great song

who knows?

Attached: Der_breite_und_der_schmale_Weg_2008.jpg (800x1007, 319.44K)

I liked the light novel "The Tatami Galaxy".

>The chad imagining Monogatari with real Japanese people and not cartoons
Don't look at the pictures when you read LNs. Is your imagination that weak, you need a picture book? Who cares how they're "meant" to be read

I never understood where the term comes from. Why is it "light"? Is it because the stories are meant to be seen as entertainment which isn't as serious as regular novels?

Light as in easily read, for babies, kanji aren't as ahrd. Because they are Japanese YA.

LNs are novels marketed and published in a particular style so as to be approachable to weebs. they’re usually short, dialogue-focused because they can rely on established tropes for setting, have a couple anime-style illustrations. volumes in a series are usually published within a few months of one another, and written with the intent to continue publishing for as long as they remain popular, or until the writer exhausts the premise.

With Monogatari Series the true chad move is to imagine the story with the hyperbole dispelled.

Any recommendations to someone that likes KonoSuba or Re:Zero? [LN/WN respectively]

Attached: lol.gif (600x745, 1.31M)

Short Young Adult novels that uses a simpler modern kanji
>John: Man this fantasy book "I can't believe it is not Butter or how a butter churn rebuilt the fantasy kingdoms cuisine for the king's daughters 16th birthday!!" it sure is far easier to read than these traditional novels that use much harder to read kanji!

In the case of manga, it's a different artform. A different medium.
>WHY DON"T WE CONSIDER MOVIES LITERATURE
basically the same question.

LNs should be considered literature, and I do see threads here. I'm not super knowledgeable about which LNs are considered good, but monogatari series is good and certainly gives you a lot to chew on. I don't see why it couldn't be discussed here.

Attached: CC67700D-5C44-44B5-86DB-A83DB377DAF2.jpg (2600x2902, 953.42K)

fuck off

if we accept japanese literature we might as well accept those books for women

its just like you never being a woman op

Fuck off, cum-stained incels. So this is the intelligence of people reading big.brain books huh. I expect them to be more sophisticated and articulate

Here we see the avid anime fan, ironically enough, calling gentlemen of fine repute and esteem "cum-stained incels". Despite the fact that his ilk are more likely to fit that category.

Attached: Pepe Above The Sea of Fog .jpg (195x250, 5.61K)

>Yea Forums user
>gentlemen of fine repute and esteem

Attached: images (29).jpg (500x500, 29.88K)

I have no idea how this is supposed to relate to what I wrote.

this is a common misconception btw
youjo senki and overlord are lns and are way more difficult to read than let's say a "normal" contemporary japanese crime or romance novel
the term light novel has little to do with difficulty, in fact there is no universally agreed on definition, if the publisher adds a few anime illustrations and calls it a light novel it's a light novel

source in case you know japanese (and if you don't know japanese what are you doing here because j-e translations are dog shit):
>つまり小説の分類の一つですが、明確な基準は確立されていないようです。かなり定義が曖昧なため、作者や出版元が「ラノベ」といったら「ラノベ」にジャンル分けされているのが現状な様子。
>また、若者向けに読みやすく書かれることが多いですが、ライトノベル出身の作者が一般の文学賞を受賞するケースも多々あり、一概に一般小説と文章力に大きな差があるものだというわけでもないようです。

>this is a common misconception btw
>youjo senki and overlord are lns and are way more difficult to read than let's say a "normal" contemporary japanese crime or romance novel
the term light novel has little to do with difficulty, in fact there is no universally agreed on definition, if the publisher adds a few anime illustrations and calls it a light novel it's a light novel

>source in case you know japanese (and if you don't know japanese what are you doing here because j-e translations are dog shit):
>>つまり小説の分類の一つですが、明確な基準は確立されていないようです。かなり定義が曖昧なため、作者や出版元が「ラノベ」といったら「ラノベ」にジャンル分けされているのが現状な様子。
>また、若者向けに読みやすく書かれることが多いですが、ライトノベル出身の作者が一般の文学賞を受賞するケースも多々あり、一概に一般小説と文章力に大きな差があるものだというわけでもないようです。

Attached: images (1).png (215x235, 8.13K)

seethe

>youjo senki and overlord are lns and are way more difficult to read than let's say a "normal" contemporary japanese crime or romance novel
so all japanese literature sucks?

Because this is board is actually fun and you weebs ruin everything you’re allowed to touch.

huh?

>Reading for entertainment, reading for emotional catharsis
Ok, here's a question, what books could actually fit this description? I want to read something "kino"