Hi, my name's Gilbert Keith Chesterton, a 400lb...

>Hi, my name's Gilbert Keith Chesterton, a 400lb. snobbish glutton who writes detective fiction and essays about how much I hate the modern world
>Yes, I joined the Romish paedophile priest cult because I'm a contrarian who hates Anglicanism and wanted to be part of something different without actually admitting that I have no respect either for my king or for my country
>Why, indeed, I believe that the highest form of art are humorous novels I read back when I was a young boy, and I consider myself to be perfectly justified in expressing disdain for contemporary works of literature and art.
>My favourite debating tactic? Why, it is making a ridiculous-sounding caricature out of my opponents, asserting with much confidence that what they believe in is preposterous nonsense, and then offering my own views as a much more rational alternative to them, without ever entertaining the possibility that anything I believe in might just be what highly influential groups with political power and social influence decreed that it would be most convenient for the general public to follow for the sake of preserving the rights and privileges of the elite at the expense of those of the masses.
What was it that made him be like this?

Attached: 1651896571406.jpg (333x404, 13.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mtERIWYxk0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All of that is extremely based

How is high school treating you, little guy?

You're a seething teenager and none of what you spent ages vomiting out is true.

>>Why, indeed, I believe that the highest form of art are humorous novels I read back when I was a young boy, and I consider myself to be perfectly justified in expressing disdain for contemporary works of literature and art.
Holy based

But I do agree, GK Chesterton can be kind of annoying sometimes. Mostly wordplay and little clever paradoxes. Very little substance.

The right of the bell-curve English male is an interesting beast, intelligent enough to ask insightful questions but just not quite smart enough to reach illuminating answers. He will read voraciously, but accepts no authority other than his own judgement, and what's more he has an unchanging tendency to make his views the very opposite of what he's told. I place Chesterton in the same camp as Irving, erudite, industrious, but blinded by their own arrogance.

Chesterton on paper ckecks every box for me: a jolly old Catholic who destroys atheists with the power of shitposting, but everything of his I've read just comes off as smarmy and masturbatory. His aphorisms are generally mundane shit like "it seems that so-called 'common sense'... isn't all too 'common' these days... oh-ho-ho!"
I read him and CS Lewis around the same time and was surprised at how much more I enjoyed the latter, even though I'd been lead to think he was a gay fence-sitter.

I agree he's pretty arrogant but I'd take him over the arrogance of someone like Voltaire. Voltaire really needed to get punched in the face sometimes

Waugh has a lot of the same traits, though he was obviously very talented. I read Sword of Honor and it had a lot of merit but like every time he name-dropped some Latin term from Catholic liturgy for no good reason I just wanted to throw the book away.

I like chesterton. comfy essay writer with a unique prose style. and has a gift for detective stories.

I hate Nabokov for being an arrogant ass that's too clever for his own good, and yet I always enjoy Chesterton whenever I read him. I don't know what that says about me.

>>Yes, I joined the Romish paedophile priest cult because I'm a contrarian who hates Anglicanism and wanted to be part of something different without actually admitting that I have no respect either for my king or for my country
Holy shit the anglicoid seethe is real

Now that I think about it there were more relevant 19th/20th century English Catholics and atheists than there were Anglicans

Christlarpers truly go way back, don't they?

It's an almost platonic form of hypocrisy and insincerity. Luckily, the contempt for them is also eternal

Funny that you made a thread about Chesterton today. I've never read Chesterton, but I watched this video earlier today: youtube.com/watch?v=1mtERIWYxk0
Easily one of the most dishonest dismissals I've ever seen. I'm not even a Nietzsche nigger, but it made seethe. There's also a video about Chesterton's views on Buddhism and it was just as bad, if not worse. Chesterton had absolutely no understanding of Eastern philosophy and just merged all Eastern religions under the banner of Buddhism. He described Buddhism as "pantheistic" and implied Buddhists believe in souls. Just absolutely awful.

based chadtolic

>Hi, my name's Gilbert Keith Chesterton, a 400lb. snobbish glutton
It’s always hilarious when gluttonous fatties try to moralize because they wear the evidence of their unrepentant sin on their bodies for everyone to plainly see.

>Waugh has a lot of the same traits
Yes, their smug upper-class arrogance makes them virtually unreadable.

Chesterton is basically an upper-middle-class version of that fat marvelguy at your office.

Hello OP, I am the older user who shat on his stupid aphorisms and I fully validate every rhetorical thrust of your condemnation of him. Keep it up.

With a socially acceptable-at-the-time cape to boot. The catholic network EWTN have been reduced to using this creep as a sympathetic "modern" figure. Pass.

>Christlarpers truly go way back, don't they?

Do you consider everyone who professes the Christian faith to be a LARPer, user?

Or even everyone who professes religious faith in general?

Do you think everyone is faking it?

Attached: 1613079593497.png (1384x1496, 742.55K)

>Do you think everyone is faking it?
Unironically yes, I genuinely find it impossible to believe anyone doesn't, on some level, realize it's all nonsense.

>Caring this much about a writer's background
Have you considered transitioning?

>I've never read Chesterton but I've watched a video and now I have strong opinions
LONDON?

If he can't even get basic facts right about the things he discusses, he isn't worth reading.

Attached: 1637665109764.png (1031x1338, 245.55K)

Fuck you, The Man Who Was Thursday is brilliant and the dedication he made for his wife in The Ballad of the White Horse is g shit.

Hey, c'mon. I will support you all the way into your transition journey. I know you are brave, you can do it

>Unironically yes, I genuinely find it impossible to believe anyone doesn't, on some level, realize it's all nonsense.

I'm actually sorry to hear that, user.

I think it would surprise you to know the extent to which many people have sincere, genuine religious beliefs.

>I watched a random video and now I'm informed enough for discussion about an author I never read
Anyway are you DTF in London or not?

I'm not the person you asked, but no. The people I suspect of faking it are the people like Chesterton and Yea Forums trad caths who never actually grapple with arguments against God and Christianity and instead just dismiss them with dishonest rhetoric. I would never accuse someone like Dostoevsky, for example, of faking it.

>Do you consider everyone who professes the Christian faith to be a LARPer, user?
No, the only people I call LARPers are well-off Englishmen who converted to Catholicism when it was in vogue at the tail end of the 19th Century. The only thing they have faith in is the aesthetics of their belief.

people who don't think of something higher than this material plane should unironically kill themselves because "hey, it ultimately doesn't matter", right?

wat

You believe that the only alternative to religious belief is suicide?

Materialism is a Christian concept, you turn a bunch of Gods and other forces into Godtm and then seperate Godtm from this world, so you end up with materialism, where you have to look at something "higher" and "outside" of reality to find meaning,

>I would never accuse someone like Dostoevsky, for example, of faking it.
His quote about morality and god being the same thing, honestly proves he isnt a Christian but a child of the Enlightenment.

fpbp

Gigabased Chesterton dabbing on chuds like OP.

Attached: 5EB99EED-2939-4F0A-A005-468092FCF491.jpg (960x720, 72.06K)

Post your nose, goy.

>Do you consider everyone who professes the Christian faith to be a LARPer, user?

If they act nothing according to their supposed beliefs? Absolutely

embarrassing post especially on a literature board

Attached: 62426739-BDBD-4763-A724-960BD5B984E6.jpg (1060x1600, 584.99K)

Cope

Yes, unironically. I also think they don't deserve rights either
I wouldn't go as far as calling myself Christian, the line of thought I own up to just happens to follow a Catholic train of thought

>I wouldn’t call myself a Christian, it just so happens that I’m a Christian
Kill yourself, faggot

No that's only reserved for atheists.

I honestly think being punched would have made Voltaire smarmier. The only way he would have been changed is if his works were published completely without any response from the French authority. Apathy would have been his defeat.

Chesterton is good and I'm not even a Christian...are you some sort of Protestant fag ore something

>The Ballad of the White Horse
An incredible poem

op is seething manlet

this

>he tried to moralize! source: just trust me bro

I used to think like that but then I learned about tulpas and realised prayer actually worked(in a way) and that people aren't just pretending. They are just coping with genuine(in their experience/head) spiritual experience. Pic highly related.

Attached: Tanya.jpg (449x683, 62.25K)

And did this result in you giving away all your possessions, like your holy book commands you?

you sound dumb

>What was it that made him be like this?
His fat desposits. Being fat increases estrogen and makes you think like a woman. Getting fat in the first place requires a lack of discipline. Never trust a fat person.

Meanwhile Rich Piana died at 45 over exerting himself

Cope isn't actually a real concept, Mr. Ernest Pecker. Its a useful fiction to justify nihilism.

I am not a voluntary schizo.

>>without ever entertaining the possibility that anything I believe in might just be what highly influential groups with political power and social influence decreed that it would be most convenient for the general public to follow for the sake of preserving the rights and privileges of the elite at the expense of those of the masses.
This ruined an otherwise funny post. It's quite obvious that religious conservatism is *not* what the current elite want which is why they try to stamp it out at all costs.

>Hrrm hrrm my good boys, it seems as though the leftists haven't considered that if they are leftists, they're not conservatives!
*Laughs himself to death after his arteries clog up from too much fish and chips*