/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

War is Hell Edition

Previous Thread:>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/guIyhAzS

>Archive
>>>>>>warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>A link to the ultimate colossal science fiction and fantasy collection torrent
>Discord
Never going to be created.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_sanyuejiuri__67eaa1b2a9191b06ffe351363e33bfb.jpg (1240x1754, 261.63K)

>watched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and other Miyazaki films as a kid
>grew up to become a climate change doomer

Any books where there's a POV of the average Joe undergoing a fantasy societal breakdown or ongoing Apocalypse?

I don't know about fantasy but for me The road is still my favorite post-apocalyptic story

Reminder that all good fantasy was already written. Any Sanderson, Cradle, self-published, webnovel stuff is garbage.

Attached: the chart version 6.png (1740x1667, 3.03M)

ok we get it, no need to spam every thread, you can leave now

Spam every thread? Its only my second. I am here to stay, not to spam, but to defend my position. Name any of your favorite fantasy book and I'll name one that is better.

Dune is definitely harder to get into than LOTR. Frank Herbert goes out of his way to not explain what the fuck is going on for hundreds of pages

I don't really care what you think user, I'll keep enjoying what I'm reading

Villain isekai? Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System. Guy dies while rageposting about how the novel he was reading dropped all the interesting storylines, made everyone brainless, and turned into a haremette-of-the-week story. Guy isekais as the harem MC’s evil teacher, a character who gets brutally tortured and killed in the novel, and told that if he wants to improve the book he can fill in the plot holes and make everyone smarter himself. Guy does a great job because he was a genuine fan of the book, thinks the harem MC was badass, loves the cultivation setting, and fucking loves fantasy monster zoolology. Guy transmigrates as a cultivation sect sub-leader, but his powers aren’t unusual/OP for that world. It’s short for a Chinese webnovel (about 400k words). But because the harem MC collects waifus in the original novel due to lack of love and attention in his childhood, transmigrator guy’s efforts to be nice to the harem MC to avoid being tortured/killed accidentally turn the harem MC gay.

Attached: 2B65D8E9-3378-46C7-9D37-98AC2480F329.jpg (988x1377, 377.04K)

>book of the new sun is max harder to get into
lmao

I'm almost done reading Snow Crash and I just realized now that Zuck references it for his Meta thing. Which is kinda funny, given how much the book satirizes corporations (and the feds, those were some of my favorite parts).
Yes, I know. I'm a slowpoke.

In what universe is the Philip Pullman stuff harder to get into that The Hobbit?
Who made this?

The Dragonbone Chair should be S-tier, so comfy and soulful, and so much better than misanthropic grimdark trash like books by Bekker

Attached: stoneoffarewell.jpg (1000x456, 184.89K)

I mean The Hobbit is a very short book compared to the whole Pullman trilogy (or whatever-ogy); I think books' lengths are taken into account here

Thanks for the list, haven't read much on there. Guess I'll start with Reverend Insanity

>Name any of your favorite fantasy book and I'll name one that is better.
Heh, you already lost.

Attached: 1625349424872.jpg (350x467, 35.55K)

>please dont post that image in these threads
>I dont care what you think
womanish

>Gay
I will now read your book

I'm on chapter 320
when does it get good?

not really about the image but the words accompanying it, no one cares for some faggots who keeps taunting people at every thread, this isn't kindergarten, grow the fuck up

>oh no, words
you'd find reddit a more suitable place, there you could downvote me

Why does sci-fi and fantasy get lumped together? Fantasy series are generally complete shit for children while sci-fi is a legitimate genre.

kill yourself

sci-fi is just fantasy with pretense

post your adult scifi

Explaining what's going on is exactly what ruins most scifi and fantasy. Nothing should ever be explained. Fictional worlds should be gradually discovered through context.

Attached: 9780765382030.jpg (662x1000, 544.29K)

I'm getting an impression that you're not a Srandon Banderson fan

The three body problem is not analytically solvable.

how can westoid scifi even compete

chink shit
seethe and dilate
A Canticle for Leibowitz

coomer-pozzed-tranny position has already been filled by a janny

Is this the Yea Forums equivalent of the
"I'm 16 and modern music sucks" YouTube comments?

How important are maps to you in fantasy books? I know some fantasy writers say not to get tied up in it.

Attached: deep fried mirkwood.jpg (1000x1000, 918.11K)

Book of the New Sun.

God I miss actual paintings for cover art.

basically, but less self aware

>muh 20+ year old classics (No one cares that you read them)
vs
>up-and-coming hedonistic, dopamine addict, progression or power fantasy

When they are well made and thought out by the author they are fun. I always liked tracing (with my finger) around on the map the character's travels.
I don't think they are a necessity and sometimes they can be detrimental/counterproductive. And I do dislike lazy ones.

It's nice to go back and look at them sometimes but I honestly don't care for geography as a reader beyond relative distances between notable areas, so it doesn't really matter.

I hate both maps and illustrations, I purposefully choose not to look at even the cover of whatever fantasy I am reading, it just fucks with my imagination when I'm reading, not saying this in some hipster way

The only time I actually tried using a map and tracing a character's journey was First Law, it didn't matter in the end and was a waste of time

Books by Sanderson still have 'em

I know. I actually really liked Whelan's cover for the first Stormlight, but he seems to be phoning it in on the others.

bouncing jolenta booba on the boat

I'm in the mood for some trashy self insert power fantasy, what should I read /sffg/bros?

Children of Dune.

take that back.

HE SUPERJUMPED ACROSS THE DESERT BREAKING DAMS HE WAS THE SMARTEST PERSON EVER

“HEY CORRINO GUY YOU’RE GONNA BE MY BITCH FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. HEY DAD YOU’RE PATHETIC FOR GIVING UP WHERE I HAVE THE STRENGTH TO GO ON”

MUH GOLDEN PATH LMAO

>Lyonesse in S rank
I will never forgive you tasteless boomers for recommending I read that garbage.

wut

Attached: The_Color_of_Her_Panties_cover.jpg (260x387, 64.89K)

What is the
>last book you read
>book you are currently reading
>book you plan to read next

>Titus Groan
>Gormenghast
>Titus Alone

>Worm
>TWI
at this pace I doubt I'll finish TWI in my lifetime, my autism prevents me from reading anything else until I finish whatever I'm currently reading

Based and Tradition-pilled.

Attached: drinking pepe.jpg (194x259, 7.28K)

>Mela, like all merpeople, is able to turn into a full human so that she can walk on land. To follow "landbound custom", she finds clothing and shoes (conveniently growing on trees, as is common on Xanth). Of particular concern is which panties to choose - after all, there is significant interest in the color of her panties. After trying on dozens of pairs, Mela finally decides on plaid (the color she would choose was the subject of an Impossible Question that the Demon X(A/N)th asked the Good Magician Humfrey in Question Quest).

>334 pages

Wtf is is this?

>Shadow of the Torturer
>The Monk
>Claw of the Conciliator

>too like the lightning
>urth of the new sun
>idky, bartimaeus trilogy? ttl#2?

On a webnovel/LitRPG bend lately, so
>Randidly Ghosthound
>Dungeon Crawler Carl
>A Practical Guide to Evil probably

Based
Based
Cringe kid

Attached: laughing pepe 15.jpg (200x202, 5.89K)

i liked it a lot
was a bit weird to read about a chinese hero, but you'd expect a chinese hero in a chinese book
if you read all three books, you'll get 90% of all scifi future tech tropes.

>Daniel B. Greene

Attached: 0E897C5F-C34B-40C5-A5EC-CBF15DB030A2.jpg (1491x1125, 1.08M)